Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 635, 636, 637 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject:

He's good off the bench, but he needs the ball in his hands. If we run him off the ball with Ennis or the Pope, he plays like crap
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:

He should be our second string point guard. He's a bit too much to handle for second string 1's. It will also force him to look for his teammates a little more than he is accustomed.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject:

PG has always been his best position.

He was shifted to SG to accommodate first Russell and now Ball.

All that being said, I like him at backup SG on this team. With Ball as the starter, I like the team being used to playing with pass first PGs at all times and Ennis and Caruso provide that.

I do like that playing Clarkson at point showcases his PG skills to potential suitors, but i question whether it's best for the team long term, inspire of yesterday's positive results.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject:

If Clarkson plays drive and pass like this then he might be worth keeping around. Haven't seen him playing that way in over a year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject:

Really pleased at how he's changed his approach (i.e. less tunnel vision) this summer. I've been a tough critic on him, but I'll be the first to praise him when he shows improvement.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject:

I've been hard on the kid because of his approach the last few years but this year so far I have to give it to him, he's been great.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject:

Clarkson has been excellent so far.
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject:

SG Comparison for the Regular Season- Game 3

KCP - The way KCP played last night is how I envisioned him to play when we signed him. He had a lot energy, got his hands all over on defense, moved his feet well, blocked that runaway shot, and was aggressive with his shot. His 3 ball was going in. He even made that ill-advised shot off transition. Can't blame him if he is feeling it, let it fly. Very nice game from KCP. Last night, by-far was his best game. I expect him to continue to do what he did. Excellent game. I think we are in good hands at SG for this year if he continues to play like that.

JC - First with the negative......JC had 2 turnovers which was a result of him trying to force the issue. He could have had a third but he was bailed out when he was caught at the top of the key and he passed it to Kuz for a 3.

Now for the positive.....JC has been efficient and consistent this whole year. When he comes in, everybody knows he is going to get his shots up and this year he hasn't been forcing it (for the most part). If there is an opening, he attacks. If he has space he shoots the 3.

First half he made his shots in the flow of the offense. Second half, they put him on PG and he made the right plays and was still aggressive to the basket. It's hard to guard him when he is playing this way.

I noticed that when he drives to the hoop, his teammates has to cut to the basket because that's how he finds them. If he is left alone on his drive to the hoop with no one to pass to, either he shoots it or its an automatic turnover.

Luke mentioned that JC was struggling in the preseason but I didn't see it that way. Per my comparison he was the best SG 4 out of the 6 games. Maybe the plan was to have him as the 2nd string PG which is where he was struggling with in practice.

For JC, he plays really scrappy and fast which is how he excels. For organized plays, I think he struggles. He is what he is. I think we need to spot him 2 turnovers per game because of his style of basketball. As long as he gets more assists/steals than his turnovers, I can live with it.

Hart - Solid game from Hart. Made his shots, didn't make any errors, and he was solid on defense. I think he also had the highest +/- on the team. I can see why the FO wanted him and he just needs more PT to get comfortable in the rotation. I think he will do well and will be a calming factor on the 2nd unit. Keep it up.

VBlue - DNP

Again, very hard to score. Midway through the 3rd quarter, I was sure this was KCP's game. But JC lit it up in the fourth. Excellent game by KCP, but JC led the group that erased the deficit. Whoever makes the biggest impact on the game takes the crown. JC it is.

Preseason Score:
JC 4
KCP 2
VBlue 0
Hart 0

Regular Season Score:
JC 2
KCP 0
BI 0
Brewer 1
VBlue 0
Hart 0
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

Clarkson has started off hot. He started off really hot last year too and the comments about him then are very similar to what we are seeing now. His style of play just isn't conducive to consistency and when he goes into a funk and starts missing the same shots he's making now, people can't wait to sub him out of the game.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

Some of his moments have come when he was playing essentially point under Scott...if he can get back to that with some consistency would be great for him to come off the bench in that role. I'd like to see that paired with Hart.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Clarkson has started off hot. He started off really hot last year too and the comments about him then are very similar to what we are seeing now. His style of play just isn't conducive to consistency and when he goes into a funk and starts missing the same shots he's making now, people can't wait to sub him out of the game.

Even though he's under contract, he's under a "contract" year (2 max plan) so let's give him a fair shot over a longer period of games. He brings some athleticism and explosiveness as a combo guard.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
PG has always been his best position.

He was shifted to SG to accommodate first Russell and now Ball.

All that being said, I like him at backup SG on this team. With Ball as the starter, I like the team being used to playing with pass first PGs at all times and Ennis and Caruso provide that.

I do like that playing Clarkson at point showcases his PG skills to potential suitors, but i question whether it's best for the team long term, inspire of yesterday's positive results.

I like the change from pass first Ball to attacking Clarkson at the pg.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

If you want to see JC at his best, you've got to put the ball in his hands and run a lot of PNRs for him. Good things normally happen in those situations. I just don't want to see him iso so much.

At this point, I think we need to run JC at the back-up 1 with Hart as the back-up 2. We need that energy in our backcourt.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
If you want to see JC at his best, you've got to put the ball in his hands and run a lot of PNRs for him. Good things normally happen in those situations. I just don't want to see him iso so much.

At this point, I think we need to run JC at the back-up 1 with Hart as the back-up 2. We need that energy in our backcourt.

Yeah. JC isn't going to be a "system" PG that runs plays, but just instinctually runs PnR actions and sees what happens. I like the JC/Hart combo.

He's really changed my opinion of him so far this preaseason/3 RS games. Might play himself into being a keeper b/c all the top 2018 FAs are forwards/big men/
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:

I agree with running JC at back-up 1 but Zo is going to play 32 to 35 minutes. That's not enough minutes for JC. He has to run both PG and SG. He has been so good at SG this year. Maybe SG first half and PG second half just like yesterday.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

Kjj10697X wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

I agree with running JC at back-up 1 but Zo is going to play 32 to 35 minutes. That's not enough minutes for JC. He has to run both PG and SG. He has been so good at SG this year. Maybe SG first half and PG second half just like yesterday.

Well, they also ran interesting 3 guard lineups with 3 of: Lonzo/JC/KCP/Hart.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Who still wants to trade him now?

Lets just trade all the good players away like Lou and DLo and JC. We don't need a good team. Just stay mediocre forever.

You obviously can't see the big picture. Clarkson's contract MUST be removed. There's nothing emotional about this.

If we're dumping JC, then who exactly are we trying to get? People seem to think that max players = better players so they would just trade away all their assets to make it work. FYI, JC is outplaying PG13 atm.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

He's finally playing like he did in his first year
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

Kjj10697X wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

Oh I agree. I'm just saying that when Ball isn't in the game, let JC run the show. I'm OK with JC sharing the backcourt with Lonzo too because that takes pressure off of Lonzo to create offense late in the shotclock.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Who still wants to trade him now?

Lets just trade all the good players away like Lou and DLo and JC. We don't need a good team. Just stay mediocre forever.

You obviously can't see the big picture. Clarkson's contract MUST be removed. There's nothing emotional about this.

If we're dumping JC, then who exactly are we trying to get? People seem to think that max players = better players so they would just trade away all their assets to make it work. FYI, JC is outplaying PG13 atm.

OK, let's not get carried away here. This is where role, and sample size matter. However, I'm completely now open minded to keeping JC if possible (maybe go for PG13/Boogie if LBJ turns us down as they are only 7-9 year max players).
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kjj10697X wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

GT posted on Twitter last night that he would love to see more of this.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Kjj10697X wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

GT posted on Twitter last night that he would love to see more of this.

Yeah. Can only be for a brief run as a special forces unit. Can't do it for too long though.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:

he had a big first game, but he did not get off to a good start last year....and there were not many positive comments related to Clarkson at the beginning to last season.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/clarkjo01/gamelog/2017
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

he had a big first game, but he did not get off to a good start last year....and there were not many positive comments related to Clarkson at the beginning to last season.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/clarkjo01/gamelog/2017

It's the pre-season that I also take into account. Really opened my eyes b/c he was playing much more unselfishly and efficiently.

Brought me back to my JC roots (I started this thread years ago... )
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kjj10697X wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

need more minutes of 3 guard lineups.....but with a Lopez or Bogut in the game....go smaller on the perimeter, but leave a rim protector in the game because JC and Lonzo are not the best perimeter defenders.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 635, 636, 637 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 636 of 685
Jump to: