Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 399, 400, 401 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
He was already bigger then most PG's now with the added bulk it's going to be tough for defenders from keeping him getting to the rim. Teams usually cross match on Clarkson and Russell defensively because of Clarkson's speed. He's too fast for most SG's and too big and strong for most PG's. Expecting a big year for Clarkson.

It's summer time, so we can project to the moon and beyond!

Love the work he's putting in with his body, but basketball is also about what's between the ears. Hopefully he's putting in the requisite work for that too.
He has that chip on his shoulder of getting drafted in the 2nd round that's never going to go away. He knows he has to improve defensively for us to get better as a team and I think he will.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject:

You can tell Clarkson is yinoma's favorite player.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:33 am; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I like JC, but the 'he can do no wrong' mentality of some is unrealistic.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The guy is busting his butt putting on weight and getting a quicker shot release.
But it still feels like he's your step son that you'll never say you're proud of.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

He does a good amount of wrong. But when your coach has one ugly *** offensive system, it's hard not to.

I love the fact that he started playing bball in High School. Started late and improving year by year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The guy is busting his butt putting on weight and getting a quicker shot release.
But it still feels like he's your step son that you'll never say you're proud of.

Ironically, my son is Blasian so he's a really good example for him. It's just a few posters who tend to piss in the pool and be overly defensive and vociferous about over projecting things about him. I'd like for him to be a Laker for a long time.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
You can tell Clarkson is yinoma's favorite player. :lol:

It's bizarre when they say his ceiling is 6th man yet he was the best player on the team and has the best work ethic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

It's bizarre when they say his ceiling is 6th man yet he was the best player on the team and has the best work ethic.

Having work ethic is great, and being the "best" player on a 17 win team with guys like DLO at age 19 and Randle at 20 isn't much.

It's not bizarre b/c a lot of astute NBA observers have said the same about JC's future role (and even JC himself said he'd be open to a 6th man role if a better FA came).

No one is saying that's his "ceiling," in fact, that's his floor. And that's amazing for a guy picked with the 46th pick. I wish you'd stop seeing that as an insult.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Ironically, my son is Blasian so he's a really good example for him. It's just a few posters who tend to piss in the pool and be overly defensive and vociferous about over projecting things about him. I'd like for him to be a Laker for a long time.

That's fair than. I've noticed you check people's over-optimism for our other young players as well.
So you're consistent.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That's fair than. I've noticed you check people's over-optimism for our other young players as well.
So you're consistent.

And I don't get how it's an "insult" to say his "floor" is a long-time 6th man ala Odom. That's remarkable considering his trajectory to the NBA. And by "floor," that just means at worst I think he'll be that. Hell, there are some lottery picks in this draft that don't even have that high of a floor.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

Westbrook 2.0

!...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject:

In fairness, with all the focus on dlo and others, I think a lot of people missed the fact that clarkson was hurt badly by Scott too. The position shift was fine, but essentially turning him into an iso and pick and roll guy with tunnel vision had a lot to do with scott. I expect luke teaching him how to play off ball and how to slow down a bit and make better reads with it, is going to have a huge effect. I expect him to have a break out year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
In fairness, with all the focus on dlo and others, I think a lot of people missed the fact that clarkson was hurt badly by Scott too. The position shift was fine, but essentially turning him into an iso and pick and roll guy with tunnel vision had a lot to do with scott. I expect luke teaching him how to play off ball and how to slow down a bit and make better reads with it, is going to have a huge effect. I expect him to have a break out year.

Fair points. With so much in flux in terms of the draft, FA, it's too premature to proclaim whether he will be the "best" player on the team next year.

It's great to see him putting in the work (after all it's a contract summer) and getting better. No doubt he will get better next season under Luke. What's debatable is in what role. We'll find out in a month or so.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject:

This was more then a 17 win team. We just had a horrible coach and the KFT that held them back. Players struggle to win games early on it takes time. OKC and the Warriors didn't start off winning 50 games they struggled.

Clarkson is a 6th man to a few of you yet he has teams that want him to be thier lead PG. The same isn't being said for other players if a better FA came. For a competitor like Clarkson a 6th man is an insult.

He's not going to say it publicly before he get his big deal but no young player with potential wants to come off bench. He's the starting combo guard and that's how he should be viewed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
This was more then a 17 win team. We just had a horrible coach and the KFT that held them back. Players struggle to win games early on it takes time. OKC and the Warriors didn't start off winning 50 games they struggled.

Clarkson is a 6th man to a few of you yet he has teams that want him to be thier lead PG. The same isn't being said for other players if a better FA came. For a competitor like Clarkson a 6th man is an insult.

He's not going to say it publicly before he get his big deal but no young player with potential wants to come off bench. He's the starting combo guard and that's how he should be viewed.

You speak as if you're Clarkson. That's the problem some folks have with your takes on him.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

You speak as if you're Clarkson. That's the problem some folks have with your takes on him.

Pretty much. There has to be some personal connection.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
He was already bigger then most PG's now with the added bulk it's going to be tough for defenders from keeping him getting to the rim. Teams usually cross match on Clarkson and Russell defensively because of Clarkson's speed. He's too fast for most SG's and too big and strong for most PG's. Expecting a big year for Clarkson.

JC tends to shy away from contact. He'll be stronger for sure with the added muscle, but he will still need to learn how to utilize the added strength.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject:

Watching some weaknesses in gsw makes me glad we have versatile players who can create their own shot, take contact, and have an ability to penetrate. Dlo being a bigger guard is beneficial in this aspect, and Clarkson's inside and outside game is very beneficial as well. Future is looking bright .
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject:

Yeah, VERY positive signs to see JC bulking up to absorb contact in the lane and defend bigger guards. Whether he starts or is a key 6th man, gives the Lakers many options at the wing positions.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

My perspective on Clarkson is similar to my perspective on GS Warriors. They both have exceeded my expectations whenever I doubt them.
So now I've gotten to the point of just keeping my mind open and never saying never.

I will say the "well Clarkson is older so of course he was better argument" as a strong argument for Clarkson eventually being only a 6th man. Since he'll always be older than some of our other young guys. When DLO and Randle are Clarkson's age now. Clarkson will be 25-26 and probably even more effective than he is now (due to the physical advantages that come with age).
So the "age advantage" won't really dissipate anytime soon.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
kikanga wrote:
bandiger wrote:
Who needs Hield
http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/6/16/11957938/la-lakers-offseason-news-jordan-clarkson-three-pointers-workout-twitter

Release is looking VERY quick.

Yup yuuuup

Man not gonna lie, super stoked to see a discernable improvement in bulk and stroke just 2 months in to the break. He's definitely a laker i cant wait to see on the floor again
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject:

I'm not going to say all this talk about Clarkson being a franchise player or a 6th man at best is laughable, but I find it funny how the same conversation just flip sides when the talk is about other young players.

I believe it's reasonable to expect Clarkson will keep slowly improving for the next two or three seasons and if he proves he can defend at an average level he is a starting material player on a contender, but not presumably first or second option.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
When DLO and Randle are Clarkson's age now. Clarkson will be 25-26 and probably even more effective than he is now (due to the physical advantages that come with age).

When DLO is 24, Clarkson will be 28. Still in his prime while DLO hasn't even entered it!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Watching some weaknesses in gsw makes me glad we have versatile players who can create their own shot, take contact, and have an ability to penetrate. Dlo being a bigger guard is beneficial in this aspect, and Clarkson's inside and outside game is very beneficial as well. Future is looking bright .

I agree. The otherwordly shooting of the Splash Bros. puts them in a league of their own. However, you can see how their lack of size and/or athleticism hurts them in other areas offensively. Russell and Clarkson aren't ever going to shoot like the Splash Bros., but they have the potential to be more versatile offensively.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
I'm not going to say all this talk about Clarkson being a franchise player or a 6th man at best is laughable, but I find it funny how the same conversation just flip sides when the talk is about other young players.

I believe it's reasonable to expect Clarkson will keep slowly improving for the next two or three seasons and if he proves he can defend at an average level he is a starting material player on a contender, but not presumably first or second option.

How funny would it be if we trade down in this draft and draft another combo guard while bringing back Clarkson.
There will be 3 "teams" on LG all biased because they think "their" combo guard is the one we should be building around.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 399, 400, 401 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 400 of 685
Jump to: