Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Russel has greater advantages at Pg because he's tall and has a post game, Clarkson has a greater advantage at Sg because he's already too quick for PGs to defend, so it's almost impossible for Sgs to stay Infront of him.

Theres a lot more to it than this but I'm sure everyone can agree with this much, right?

I see them as two wing players who (eventually) opposing defenses will need to match up with.

Will be interesting to see how teams match up defensively with our guards next year, and the following years after. The better and stronger Russel gets, the least likely they'll put their PG on him.

I also look forward to this problem with our forwards(heh). Ingram and Randle should be able to give teams match-up nightmares.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Highlights from the Drew League Game:

Clarkson's #3 in the white uniforms. Nick Young on the team too
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson Highlights at Drew League, 33 Points

Take aways: Clarkson scores and gets scored on, gets past people and gets gotten passed. (in a nutshell)

I love how Clarkson's offensive game has progressed. But I need to comment on the other side of the ball.

I really wish Clarkson would focus on the defensive end, we know he can score, but someone with the twitch and athleticism he has SHOULD be a better defender than he is. These amateurs shouldn't be getting past him like that and "C-Dub" shouldn't have ate the way he did.

Anyway, Clarkson is a gifted offensive talent and I expect we'll see more of that, but I really REALLY want to see Clarkson step it up on the defensive end. Defensive intensity is what makes Westbrook a problem, it's not just his intensity on the offensive end it's the effort he brought on the other end. Clarkson's mentality seems to be 'you score on me I score on you' as opposed to 'You WILL NOT score on me and I WILL score on you."

Got an entire off-season left, but DEFENSE should be his main priority right now, the rest of his offensive game I don't have a problem with aside from his occasional high dribble that got him ripped or near ripped a few times, but I want to see him making it work on the defensive end first and foremost. These guys are amateurs, they shouldn't be dropping double figures and hitting game changing momentum on you, drew league or no drew league.

When it's a two possession game near the end after Clarkson scores, he gets in no position to defend C-Dub and essentially matador's him as he gets to the basket and scores with the foul. We saw enough of that last season against professionals, don't let that translate to the Drew League too.

Maybe it's just being overanalytical, but I really wish I could see any change in the effort on the defensive end, WE KNOW he can score, show us you're a capable two-way player, that's all I really want to see from him.

We can watch him hitting step back jumpers all day and three point shots in the gym, but how about some defensive slide drills and some additional 1 on 1 drills to make his defense better? Because part of me wonders if JC just mainly focused on tightening up his dribble moves and his three point shot his off-season and defensively was more 'there'. Stuff like that sort of makes it seem confirm-able.

Of course we could always say "hey.. its Drew League, no one really plays defense or tries" but at the same time as the kind of competitor Clarkson is, you wouldn't expect he'd half step at anything. When Kobe went to the Drew League out of his prime he went AT James Harden, and gave his full effort that he had left on both ends. So I don't expect a competitor like JC to half-step into the Drew League.

So if he wasn't half stepping, then he still has a lot of work to do on the defensive end. All the points he scores, dunks he makes, step backs and finishes through contact in practice don't surprise, shock, or impress me at this point as much as seeing defensive work pay off. We KNOW he can score. I just want to see the other side of the ball on the defensive end from him. That's all at this point.

But yes, he had a solid offensive showing.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Take aways: Clarkson scores and gets scored on, gets past people and gets gotten passed. (in a nutshell)

I love how Clarkson's offensive game has progressed. But I need to comment on the other side of the ball.

I really wish Clarkson would focus on the defensive end, we know he can score, but someone with the twitch and athleticism he has SHOULD be a better defender than he is. These amateurs shouldn't be getting past him like that and "C-Dub" shouldn't have ate the way he did.

Anyway, Clarkson is a gifted offensive talent and I expect we'll see more of that, but I really REALLY want to see Clarkson step it up on the defensive end. Defensive intensity is what makes Westbrook a problem, it's not just his intensity on the offensive end it's the effort he brought on the other end. Clarkson's mentality seems to be 'you score on me I score on you' as opposed to 'You WILL NOT score on me and I WILL score on you."

Got an entire off-season left, but DEFENSE should be his main priority right now, the rest of his offensive game I don't have a problem with aside from his occasional high dribble that got him ripped or near ripped a few times, but I want to see him making it work on the defensive end first and foremost. These guys are amateurs, they shouldn't be dropping double figures and hitting game changing momentum on you, drew league or no drew league.

When it's a two possession game near the end after Clarkson scores, he gets in no position to defend C-Dub and essentially matador's him as he gets to the basket and scores with the foul. We saw enough of that last season against professionals, don't let that translate to the Drew League too.

Maybe it's just being overanalytical, but I really wish I could see any change in the effort on the defensive end, WE KNOW he can score, show us you're a capable two-way player, that's all I really want to see from him.

We can watch him hitting step back jumpers all day and three point shots in the gym, but how about some defensive slide drills and some additional 1 on 1 drills to make his defense better? Because part of me wonders if JC just mainly focused on tightening up his dribble moves and his three point shot his off-season and defensively was more 'there'. Stuff like that sort of makes it seem confirm-able.

Of course we could always say "hey.. its Drew League, no one really plays defense or tries" but at the same time as the kind of competitor Clarkson is, you wouldn't expect he'd half step at anything. When Kobe went to the Drew League out of his prime he went AT James Harden, and gave his full effort that he had left on both ends. So I don't expect a competitor like JC to half-step into the Drew League.

So if he wasn't half stepping, then he still has a lot of work to do on the defensive end. All the points he scores, dunks he makes, step backs and finishes through contact in practice don't surprise, shock, or impress me at this point as much as seeing defensive work pay off. We KNOW he can score. I just want to see the other side of the ball on the defensive end from him. That's all at this point.

Well said. The biggest disappointment about JC is when he said last season that he never really works on his defense. The guy needs to address that glaring weakness in his game and he needs to do it now.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Keep in mind, these are highlights. They don't show the defensive stops. And even if Clarkson has improved on his defense tremendously, he's coming from so low that it's unrealistic to expect him to become such a lockdown defender that no one would ever score on him, especially over just one summer and especially in a rew league game.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject:

I dont want him going full bore against weekend warriors.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject:

I don't think we should be taking much from the Drew League highlights.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

So true, otherwise Nick Young would be a perennial all star.

Anyway a good opportunity to watch some of our guys playing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So true, otherwise Nick Young would be a perennial all star.

Anyway a good opportunity to watch some of our guys playing.

If so, Jamal Crawford would be making $150m/year.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:

Impressive highlights by Clarkson. He still looks super explosive with the added bulk.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

A few stats I saw that's going to surprise some here. Keep in mind he's doing this in Byron's horrid system.

Players that avg 15 pts, 4 rebs, 2.4 ast and 34% from 3pt range in their 2nd years:

Lebron James, Anfernee Hardaway, Steve Francis, Vince Carter, Tim Hardaway, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Durant, Latrell Sprewell, Damon Stoudemire, Kelly Tripuka, Ray Allen, Chandler Parsons, Gilbert Arenas, Shareef Abdul-Rahim, Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Mike Miller, Michael Finley, Jason Richardson, Steve Smith, Glenn Robinson.

Of these 23 players, 19 went on to become all stars. Miller, Parsons, Stoudemire, and Richardson did not. 17 players went on to become multiple all stars.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Well said. The biggest disappointment about JC is when he said last season that he never really works on his defense. The guy needs to address that glaring weakness in his game and he needs to do it now.

That is troubling, even with a coaching staff that didn't teach defense you would think that a player would know he needs to defend in order to be great. While Randle was not a passable defender himself last season we still heard how he picked the brains of Artest and Bass on how to improve his defense. While there wasn't a lot of progress on the floor at least we knew he recognized it as a weakness and tried addressing it.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
A few stats I saw that's going to surprise some here. Keep in mind he's doing this in Byron's horrid system.

Players that avg 15 pts, 4 rebs, 2.4 ast and 34% from 3pt range in their 2nd years:

Lebron James, Anfernee Hardaway, Steve Francis, Vince Carter, Tim Hardaway, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Durant, Latrell Sprewell, Damon Stoudemire, Kelly Tripuka, Ray Allen, Chandler Parsons, Gilbert Arenas, Shareef Abdul-Rahim, Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Mike Miller, Michael Finley, Jason Richardson, Steve Smith, Glenn Robinson.

Of these 23 players, 19 went on to become all stars. Miller, Parsons, Stoudemire, and Richardson did not. 17 players went on to become multiple all stars.

Not sure how you got this specific Stats but great company indeed. JC for allstar 2017!
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

The highlights were nice, but lets not get too excited about drew league highlights. Pretty much a glorified pick up game.

Did you all see Drummond get dunked on?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

Not trying to downplay that stat, it's pretty good but Clarkson is 24 years old. Theses guys where probably 19-20 years old.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Not trying to downplay that stat, it's pretty good but Clarkson is 24 years old. Theses guys where probably 19-20 years old.

Clarkson was 23 his 2nd year and was a late bloomer. He didn't start playing until 9th grade and also sat out a year of college due to NCAA transer rules.

Anfernee Hardaway, Tim Hardaway, Vince Carter, Kelly Tripuka, Chandler Parsons, Michael Finley, Steve Smith,Steve Francis, and Latrell Sprewell was the same age as Clarkson their 2nd years.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Not sure how you got this specific Stats but great company indeed. JC for allstar 2017!
He has a very bright future. Just going by the eye test he jumps off the screen as an explosive, versatile combo guard. Not sure about all star next year but in a couple of years it's possible.
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

Lebron- 27/7/7
Hardaway- 21/4/7
Francis- 20/7/6
Carter- 25/5/4
T. Hardaway- 23/4/9
Paul- 17/4/9
Tripuka- 26/4/4
Stoudamire- 20/4/8
Pierce- 19/5/3
Richmond- 22/4/3
Abdur-Rahim- 22/7/2
Durant 25/6/3

So yeah... comparing a guy who averaged 15/4/2 to these guys is not really comparable.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Lebron- 27/7/7
Hardaway- 21/4/7
Francis- 20/7/6
Carter- 25/5/4
T. Hardaway- 23/4/9
Paul- 17/4/9
Pierce- 19/5/3
Richmond- 22/4/3
Abdur-Rahim- 22/7/2
Durant 25/6/3

So yeah... comparing a guy who averaged 15/4/2 to these guys is not really comparable.
Those players avg way more minutes and shot attempts. He's obviously not Lebron or Durant, but he's in good company with most of those players.

He needs to improve defensively, but he can flat out score and shown his rookie year that he can pass and rebound at a good level.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Lebron- 27/7/7
Hardaway- 21/4/7
Francis- 20/7/6
Carter- 25/5/4
T. Hardaway- 23/4/9
Paul- 17/4/9
Pierce- 19/5/3
Richmond- 22/4/3
Abdur-Rahim- 22/7/2
Durant 25/6/3

I don't think JC is better than any of those players at the same point of their career. That's ok, b/c not everyone can be a HOF/All-star.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

Ruining the love.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Ruining the love.

My friend. Their is love and delusion. Trying to eliminate the latter.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Ruining the love.

Oh, I'm aware of that. It just sucks that there'll be resentment because of the delusion. It's literally 1 dude who's killing the love.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Ruining the love.

Oh, I'm aware of that. It just sucks that there'll be resentment because of the delusion. It's literally 1 dude who's killing the love.

I wish said poster would understand that. I don't think there is even 1 poster who dislikes JC; though there are many that have a reasonable view that he's a good, albeit non-HOF/all-star player.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

Nice highlights from JC.

Here's a highlight reel of just him https://www.instagram.com/p/BIUkrr6DWrR/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 420 of 685
Jump to: