Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 429, 430, 431 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
why would boston trade 1st team all nba defensive player in bradley who shoots 36.1% from 3pt line? on a cheap contract?

Because he has an all nba level defender in Crowder/Smart, and a potential good one in Jaylen Brown. Celtics have been looking for a traditional center for a while.

and he just paid 113million dollars for 1. they lost to ATL as soon as bradley went down. so i don't see him trading his defensive ace

And Oak is on a rookie deal, and they have a plethora of defensive guards. What they don't have is a possible 20ppg scorer from the big man position.

what he gets on offensive end, he gives up on defensive end with zero rim protection.

with isiah being a liability on defensive end, they need a guy to cover up for him and hit the open shot. Smart has no jumper.

Last edited by Jim99187 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
How did this thread turn solely about Clarkson's defense? Smh

Because that is his biggest weakness
The same could be said about everyone on the team.

No, not everyone. And this is a Clarkson thread so of course we would be discussing him.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

when opposing guards are scoring 62.5% when you are guarding, you need to talk about his defense.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
when opposing guards are scoring 62.5% when you are guarding, you need to talk about his defense.
sobering stat!
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Jordan Clarkson | The Legacy Continues

nice mix.

I love this.

I expect Clarkson to reach borderline allstar status this season. this is the season he and Russel will start to make some noise as a top back court in the NBA. I think laker fans have an idea about how talented our backcourt is but the rest of the NBA seems to be clueless right now. That will change this season. Clarkson is a big reason why. He's already proven that he's efficient and consistent. Now, he will get a larger role and likely be a 1st or second option. 20 ppg easily IMO.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
sobering stat!

thanks to Serena winters on TWC
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

You're talking about Isiah Thomas right?
Because your post is eerily similar to the bull (bleep) stat I had to call MJST out on a couple pages back.

kikanga wrote:
MJST wrote:

Last season it was the same thing, he said he had to work on defense in the off-season. Worked on his offensive game primarily and wound up allowing opponents to score 61.5% against him last season.

Why do people have to make up stats and quote fan written articles that minimize Clarkson, when a dope video of him working out comes out?
It's just weird.

In case anybody wants to know the true %s Clarkson gave up last year.
http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/203903/tracking/defense/

I'm not saying he's a good defender. But no need to make up stats.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Because your post is eerily similar to the bull (bleep) stat I had to call MJST out on a couple pages back.

kikanga wrote:
MJST wrote:

Last season it was the same thing, he said he had to work on defense in the off-season. Worked on his offensive game primarily and wound up allowing opponents to score 61.5% against him last season.

Why do people have to make up stats and quote fan written articles that minimize Clarkson, when a dope video of him working out comes out?
It's just weird.

+1.

Overall stat is 48% according to NBA's own tracker. I'm not high on Clarkson's defense and it's certainly a point of concern, but there's enough bull on these boards without having to fabricate #'s and run with it.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

kikanga wrote:
MJST wrote:

It's just weird.

You want to call anybody for bull (bleep)? Call Serena winters not me. I have her credit few post back

here is the youtube video:
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

kikanga wrote:
MJST wrote:

It's just weird.

You want to call anybody for bull (bleep)? Call Serena winters not me. I have her credit few post back

Should've known. That's why I'm #TeamJamieMaggio
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
How did this thread turn solely about Clarkson's defense? Smh

Because that is his biggest weakness
The same could be said about everyone on the team.

No, not everyone. And this is a Clarkson thread so of course we would be discussing him.

looks like they're discussing everybody but clarkson right now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

kikanga wrote:
MJST wrote:

It's just weird.

Question whats the stat when it's "guards" that JC is defending.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

kikanga wrote:
MJST wrote:

It's just weird.

Question whats the stat when it's "guards" that JC is defending.

That's above my pay grade.
GT, Fiendish. You guys know of any resources for MJST's request?

One thing I will say. If ANYONE allowed 60%+ FG% by their man (over a season). They wouldn't be in the league.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Not in front of a PC at the moment to see if this info is available, but it's reasonable to assume that the FG% of opposing guards wouldn't be higher than the overall opposing FG%.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject:

What I do know is that when they combine essentially all positions here's Clarkson's Defensive stats in terms of distance with which he defended people and what the league average is.

Less than 6 Feet from Basket: Clarkson allowed 72% scored against him, while the league average is 60% in similar scenarios.

This can be accounted for guys blowing by him as well and finishing at the basket on him. Unfortunately we can't break it down like that but we can assume that his fair share of blow by's factor into that.

Between 6-10 from the basket: Clarkson allowed 63.7% scored against him, while the league average is 54% in similar scenarios.

So essentially if someone blew by or got Clarkson to 10 feet of the basket they scored 67.8% of the time against him, while the league average for both is 57% against the same scenarios.

So Clarkson is about 10.8% worse than the league average.

The only thing he defended relatively well was 3 pointers where the league average is 36% and Clarkson only allowed 37%.

Also from the inside of the 3 point line to 15 feet Clarkson allowed 39% and the league average is 37%.

What THIS means is that if Clarkson keeps you in front of him and forces you into a jumper with a hand in your face he is at around the league average, however if you beat him off the dribble he allowed 67.8% of their shots to go in when the league average is 57%.

So THAT is the problem.

BUT what it also tells us is that if Clarkson actually did work on his defense in the off-season, as in fixing his stance and understanding angles which would make it much easier for him to keep players in front of him, then he would be a league average defender. Which would help the Lakers A LOT.

But the reason Clarkson can't keep guys in front of him is because of his defensive stance issues and lack of understanding of angles.

For the record, James Harden under the same scenario allowed 63.5% and we KNOW how often he gets blown by.

And again, James Harden's stats when keeping people in front of him from 15 feet to the 3 point line was holding them to 38% when the league average is 37%. So he defended there better than Clarkson as well.

Essentially James Harden LAST YEAR... was a better defender than Clarkson.

That...hurts..

And that is why defense is what Clarkson should be working on now.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject:

^ I wonder how much of Clarkson's poor #s within 10 feet is because his standing reach is pretty short. Hard to affect shots in the paint like that.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
What I do know is that when they combine essentially all positions here's Clarkson's Defensive stats in terms of distance with which he defended people and what the league average is.

Less than 6 Feet from Basket: Clarkson allowed 72% scored against him, while the league average is 60% in similar scenarios.

This can be accounted for guys blowing by him as well and finishing at the basket on him. Unfortunately we can't break it down like that but we can assume that his fair share of blow by's factor into that.

Between 6-10 from the basket: Clarkson allowed 63.7% scored against him, while the league average is 54% in similar scenarios.

So essentially if someone blew by or got Clarkson to 10 feet of the basket they scored 67.8% of the time against him, while the league average for both is 57% against the same scenarios.

So Clarkson is about 10.8% worse than the league average.

The only thing he defended relatively well was 3 pointers where the league average is 36% and Clarkson only allowed 37%.

Also from the inside of the 3 point line to 15 feet Clarkson allowed 39% and the league average is 37%.

What THIS means is that if Clarkson keeps you in front of him and forces you into a jumper with a hand in your face he is at around the league average, however if you beat him off the dribble he allowed 67.8% of their shots to go in when the league average is 57%.

So THAT is the problem.

BUT what it also tells us is that if Clarkson actually did work on his defense in the off-season, as in fixing his stance and understanding angles which would make it much easier for him to keep players in front of him, then he would be a league average defender. Which would help the Lakers A LOT.

But the reason Clarkson can't keep guys in front of him is because of his defensive stance issues and lack of understanding of angles.

For the record, James Harden under the same scenario allowed 63.5% and we KNOW how often he gets blown by.

And again, James Harden's stats when keeping people in front of him from 15 feet to the 3 point line was holding them to 38% when the league average is 37%. So he defended there better than Clarkson as well.

Essentially James Harden LAST YEAR... was a better defender than Clarkson.

That...hurts..

And that is why defense is what Clarkson should be working on now.

I'm gonna look up all our players' defesive stats in the bolded scenario. I have a feeling that scenario was a team-wide problem.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
^ I wonder how much of Clarkson's poor #s within 10 feet is because his standing reach is pretty short. Hard to affect shots in the paint like that.

I wonder how well that stat assigns responsibility in the first place.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/defense/#!/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612747

JC, DLO and Randle all had poor fg% against within 6 ft.
Yes. The entire team needs to work on defense.
That seems obvious.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
http://stats.nba.com/league/player/defense/#!/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612747

JC, DLO and Randle all had poor fg% against within 6 ft.
Yes. The entire team needs to work on defense.
That seems obvious.

I'm skeptical on what this means in the first place. Does it mean that an opposing SG scores within 6ft and it's charged to Clarkson? Does it mean that it's charged to whomever Clarkson's guarding, regardless of what happened on the play?

And why are folks perseverating on the 6ft or less and 10ft or less numbers? Are those areas special somehow? Overall, players shoot 3.5% better against Clarkson than the league average, right? (however they tabulate that)
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm equally confused by this infatuation to prove Clarkson somehow allowed 62% FG% somehow, someway.
Everyone acknowledges he needs to work on his defense.
Our team was in the bottom of the league in most defensive metrics last season. Tough to pin that all on Clarkson (although he has some responsibility).
The team-wide phenomenon points to coaching moreso than individual players.
6ft-10ft from basket is a weird defensive stat (like GT pointed out). Was he the initial defender or the last defender?
And Clarkson primarily guarded guards. So it seems reasonable to assume he can't average less than 50% allowed FG% against all opponents but allow 60%+ against guards (like Fiendish pointed out).
If that's the case. Clarkson is a lockdown forward and Center defender. Because his sample size against those opponents are far less than guards. Clarkson must be holding forwards and Centers to less than 30% from the field
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Yea. I'd like to know how nba.com defines the defensive tracking. It's not clear to me. The point I was trying to make was that our team as a whole seemed lacking on defense. I'm hoping the entire team works on team defense.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject:

Two things about these numbers:

The Lakers routinely got beaten by their man.

Help rotations were awful.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject:

What NBA.com needs is the frequency for which a certain shot is taken/accomplished against said player instead of just around the league.

Then you'd be able to say that Clarkson was beat 6-10 feet "this" often.

Or he defended 15ft and beyond "this often".

For instance if it said Clarkson allowed 67% etc from 6-10 and it was the shot taken on him 60% of the time

And then thay Clarkson defended 15 ft to the 3 point lime at around league average but that shot was onlt taken against him 35% of the time.

That would paint a clear picture, it would legitimately say that Clarkson is a good defender when he keeps people in front but only accomplished that 35% of the time as opposed to getting beat to the basket.

Because James Harden even defends at league average when he kept people in front, but we know that doesn't happen very often.

But as it stands someone could just go "hey, Harden defends at 45% on 2 point shots when the league average is 44% he'd not a bad defender." When we know it only tells half the story and that yes he is.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
What NBA.com needs is the frequency for which a certain shot is taken/accomplished against said player instead of just around the league.

Then you'd be able to say that Clarkson was beat 6-10 feet "this" often.

Or he defended 15ft and beyond "this often".

For instance if it said Clarkson allowed 67% etc from 6-10 and it was the shot taken on him 60% of the time

And then thay Clarkson defended 15 ft to the 3 point lime at around league average but that shot was onlt taken against him 35% of the time.

That would paint a clear picture, it would legitimately say that Clarkson is a good defender when he keeps people in front but only accomplished that 35% of the time as opposed to getting beat to the basket.

Because James Harden even defends at league average when he kept people in front, but we know that doesn't happen very often.

But as it stands someone could just go "hey, Harden defends at 45% on 2 point shots when the league average is 44% he'd not a bad defender." When we know it only tells half the story and that yes he is

Maybe this stat isn't a great basis for an argument about this at all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 429, 430, 431 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 430 of 685
Jump to: