Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 461, 462, 463 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:
The narrative shouldn't be he "lost" his starting spot. No one thinks nick, deng are better than Jc. Jcs game is more conducive to a 6th man role where he owns the space or a starting squad surrounded by defenders. He doesn't have elite vision. He's an attacker. Nada mas

Would you make Klay Thomspon a bench player? He does not have elite vision, and he is an attacker (if your saying score first aggressive play). Klay is a much more skilled shooter than JC...and I understand "much" is an understatement, but JC is more athletic. When we stop searching for evidence and creating definitions (6th man role), Clarkson looks like a pretty damn good starting SG that has good chemistry with DLo.

The Warriors bench looked weak against the Spurs, making Klay a 6th man might be a good idea for them.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:
The narrative shouldn't be he "lost" his starting spot. No one thinks nick, deng are better than Jc. Jcs game is more conducive to a 6th man role where he owns the space or a starting squad surrounded by defenders. He doesn't have elite vision. He's an attacker. Nada mas

Would you make Klay Thomspon a bench player? He does not have elite vision, and he is an attacker (if your saying score first aggressive play). Klay is a much more skilled shooter than JC...and I understand "much" is an understatement, but JC is more athletic. When we stop searching for evidence and creating definitions (6th man role), Clarkson looks like a pretty damn good starting SG that has good chemistry with DLo.

The Warriors bench looked weak against the Spurs, making Klay a 6th man might be a good idea for them.

I feel strongly that if we had klay he would be starting. Again jc's game is made for 6th man role. He gets free reign. Klay is far better at everything. Chemistry isn't the only thing. Jc is a bit of a black hole. Jamal Crawford. If Jc starts then Julius should come off bench. But who cares. Jc will get his minutes/money/numbers
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I feel strongly that if we had klay he would be starting. Again jc's game is made for 6th man role. He gets free reign. Klay is far better at everything. Chemistry isn't the only thing. Jc is a bit of a black hole. Jamal Crawford. If Jc starts then Julius should come off bench. But who cares. Jc will get his minutes/money/numbers

Why is JC a black hole?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject:

The only concern that I have about JC starting is that I believe he is undersized to start at SG so I'm ok with him coming behind Young, but not with Lou starting.

I still believe his best position is the PG spot and as people love to remember in another player thread, a modern PG don't need to be a distributor in modern defense so you are a PG if you have to guard the opposite PG.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Why is JC a black hole?

Black hole is a bit extreme, my bad but basically once ball touches his hands he's attacking. He should with second unit. His teammates on that crew are guys who are great at cleaning up etc. JR is similar. That's why one or the other starts. IMO jr is better and brings more to starting unit.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
The only concern that I have about JC starting is that I believe he is undersized to start at SG so I'm ok with him coming behind Young, but not with Lou starting.

I still believe his best position is the PG spot and as people love to remember in another player thread, a modern PG don't need to be a distributor in modern defense so you are a PG if you have to guard the opposite PG.
The average height for a SG is 6'5 200 lbs. He's exactly that and is bigger than Mccolum, Bradley, Beal, Oladipo, and a few others. He can play either position but he's at his best when he's attacking off the dribble.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
nash wrote:

The average height for a SG is 6'5 200 lbs. He's exactly that and is bigger than Mccolum, Bradley, Beal, Oladipo, and a few others. He can play either position but he's at his best when he's attacking off the dribble.

The problem is that he has a really short standing reach for a SG of 8-2, which is shorter than all but MCCollom on that list. And none of those guys is particularly long for the position like several other guys are.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

There is no such thing and no universal definition.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

you should run that by Klay....sure he would agree
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

There certainly is a type/style. Jamal, Lou, manu, all guys who play a bit erratic. Good no doubt but "hitchy" far less fluid. Jr has a bit of them but he outmuscles guys so he has an intangible. I love this team but when I....me see jc he screams 6th man to me.

6th men have that green light.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
nash wrote:

The problem is that he has a really short standing reach for a SG of 8-2, which is shorter than all but MCCollom on that list. And none of those guys is particularly long for the position like several other guys are.

Exactly

This is why Russell does a really better job bothering the opposite SG, same as Nick.

Last edited by nash on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

There certainly is a type/style. Jamal, Lou, manu, all guys who play a bit erratic. Good no doubt but "hitchy" far less fluid. Jr has a bit of them but he outmuscles guys so he has an intangible. I love this team but when I....me see jc he screams 6th man to me.

I agree completely. My ideal 6th man is a scoring guard who can ideally play either guard spot. But my ideal bench big is an energy dirty work guy, not so much a scorer. Thats why I like Randle starting and Nance and Clarkson off the bench.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
nash wrote:

And he's not bigger than Beal, Olidipo - they're all the same height without shoes, JC just had bigger shoes on at the combine. But ya that standing reach is not ideal for contesting shots. Effort and defensive skill can make up for it though - Reddick has worse measurebales and athleticism..
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I am sure Kerr would run it past Klay, but Kerr does not need Klay to agree.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I am sure Kerr would run it past Klay, but Kerr does not need Klay to agree.

No one is actually going to consider bringing the NBA's best shooting guard off the bench.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject:

Clarkson is a starter coming off the bench. He's not a "bench player." Putting the ball in his hands or DLOs hands at almost all times is best for both their games and keeps the defense always on its toes. As long as Nick Young can remain passable on defense, I've grown to really like this move. Has nothing to do with Clarkson's ceiling as a player because I think he's a starter on at least half the teams in the league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

Do folks not understand how having JC as 6th man is really going to do the team wonders?

Put JC with DLO/Randle and he's literally fighting for shots.

Put him as the lead guy in the 2nd unit, the offense runs through him.

For probably 44-45 minutes a game, we will have DLO or JC (and sometimes both) out there.

Last year we had games where Lou/Huertas ran 8-10 minute shifts together.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That is like saying I know 3 attractive girls named Amber, therefore all Amber's are hot. Teams have used big men, defensive specialists, etc as 6th men. Lou and Jamal were 6th men for very different reasons than Manu and Lamar. The teams "6th Man" is related to many factors, and not a predefined type of player. Being a 6th man has nothing to do with a green light.....unless it does for that specific team and player.

Last edited by adkindo on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Do folks not understand how having JC as 6th man is really going to do the team wonders?

For probably 44-45 minutes a game, we will have DLO or JC (and sometimes both) out there.

no, some of us folks simply cant understand these complicated topics like someone with your depth of wisdom....or maybe some of us just hold a different opinion than you and could also make a list of logical reasons in support of starting Clarkson.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

no, some of us folks simply cant understand these complicated topics like someone with your depth of wisdom....or maybe some of us just hold a different opinion than you and could also make a list of logical reasons in support of starting Clarkson.

As you are aware, I was also in favor of starting JC.

My point is that I see the reasoning behind it. And it worked perfectly against Houston.

Our team now has waves of guys attacking the other. Put it this way. If JC's starting:

1. he's fighting for touches/shots with DLO/Randle mostly;
2. our first sub in is what, Lou or Huertas? Then you'll have the wonderful Lou/Huertas combo as the next sub.
3. with the 2nd unit, JC is the unquestioned shot taker and maker, with the rest of the guys being more support players (i.e. Ingram, Nance, Black).

Why not see the positives of this, particularly when it worked well so far?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

My point is that I see the reasoning behind it. And it worked perfectly against Houston.

Our team now has waves of guys attacking the other. Put it this way. If JC's starting:

2. our first sub in is what, Lou or Huertas? Then you'll have the wonderful Lou/Huertas combo as the next sub.
3. with the 2nd unit, JC is the unquestioned shot taker and maker, with the rest of the guys being more support players (i.e. Ingram, Nance, Black).

Feel the same if Luke started JC and used DLo off the bench to run the second unit?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Feel the same if Luke started JC and used DLo off the bench to run the second unit?

Sure, but why would he do that?

I've always thought JC was more of a starter on a lottery team/6th man on good team.

Not sure why you're being so combative here when I've essentially advocated starting him b/c this team, as noted above, isn't a great team, and neither Young/Lou are better than JC as a starter.

My point is that it worked and should likely work again. I like the fact we have at almost all times, DLO or JC on the floor.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I've always thought JC was more of a starter on a lottery team/6th man on good team.

Not sure why you're being so combative here when I've essentially advocated starting him b/c this team, as noted above, isn't a great team, and neither Young/Lou are better than JC as a starter.

My point is that it worked and should likely work again. I like the fact we have at almost all times, DLO or JC on the floor.

First, if I am coming off as combative, then apologies in some level of incorrect communication on my part....because I feel no level of negative feelings in this discussion.

I could give you reasons why Dlo would be beneficial with the second unit, same with Randle, Deng, etc. We can always find logic to support our opinions. As you said, you have held the common position that JC was not a long term starter going back to last season, so you find it very easy to agree with him in this role....but your favorite player, Dlo, causes a swift "why"? You and I disagree at the beginning in our evaluation of JC, therefore we will always disagree with the result we arrive at.

Again, with you and the many others that I routinely discuss and debate with on this board.....I may poke and prod or even be cynical, but it will never be with intended malice or anger.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

First, if I am coming off as combative, then apologies in some level of incorrect communication on my part....because I feel no level of negative feelings in this discussion.

I could give you reasons why Dlo would be beneficial with the second unit, same with Randle, Deng, etc. We can always find logic to support our opinions. As you said, you have held the common position that JC was not a long term starter going back to last season, so you find it very easy to agree with him in this role....but your favorite player, Dlo, causes a swift "why"? You and I disagree at the beginning in our evaluation of JC, therefore we will always disagree with the result we arrive at.

Again, with you and the many others that I routinely discuss and debate with on this board.....I may poke and prod or even be cynical, but it will never be with intended malice or anger.

Appreciated. Yeah, with re: to DLO, it's pretty clear what the FO/coaching staff feels about him going forward, so it's not much of a debate for me. The JC as super 6th man spot has been widely discussed and isn't that crazy of a role at all. I don't think he gets 25 points if he's starting. Too many mouths to feed with that starting group.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yes, if it works. That is the ego-less play we see from the Warriors, it wouldn't hurt for our players to put the team ahead of their ego.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 461, 462, 463 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 462 of 685
Jump to: