Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 616, 617, 618 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

I don't think Clarkson with his youth and scoring ability is way out of the market price range. He will be much easier to move than Deng or Moz, maybe even easier than Brewer.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I don't think Clarkson with his youth and scoring ability is way out of the market price range. He will be much easier to move than Deng or Moz, maybe even easier than Brewer.

I'm with you there. I don't think JC is overpaid.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

At the time everyone loved JC at 12.5, and TBH it could still be up a pretty decent deal. If he proves to be a reliable 6th man who can play INSIDE of an offense teams lookingke for that punch off the bench could find some real intrigue. It's not as if there is a ton of different CE between a guy like JC and Waiters who people were dying for this year except for one decent year of shooting. I'm still hopeful of the Lonzo effect for Jordan this year.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
At the time everyone loved JC at 12.5, and TBH it could still be up a pretty decent deal. If he proves to be a reliable 6th man who can play INSIDE of an offense teams lookingke for that punch off the bench could find some real intrigue. It's not as if there is a ton of different CE between a guy like JC and Waiters who people were dying for this year except for one decent year of shooting. I'm still hopeful of the Lonzo effect for Jordan this year.

Lonzo will help Clarkson's offense immensely, I even think that the word immensely is an understatement.

JC has all of the speed and athleticism in the world, he is just not great with court vision/running the offense thing. Kid can finish. With Lonzo he won't have to worry about any of that. He can just finish.

I am not worried about his offense. JC will have to step up on the defensive end and that I am not sure he will do. But he will be scoring more in a more efficient way, so that is sure to boost his trade value if we do need to move his contract.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

If Lakers plan for Lebron and George in 2018, Clarkson will need to be traded for an expiring contract at the trade deadline. Adding Deng is a pipe dream, but Clarkson for sure could be traded for expiring.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject:

He's not overpaid
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson isn't overpaid. His deal is fine. That doesn't mean its easy to get rid of for a draft pick, but that's a different standard versus whether Clarkson is overpaid. Draft picks are at a premium.

Given that we re-signed Ennis, instead of bringing in a vet PG, it seems to me the backup PG spot is Clarkson's to lose. That probably means a minimum of 20 minutes per game behind Clarkson. However, at backup SG, Hart could very well get all of those minutes behind KCP. Three point shooting and defense are going to be valued above all else - Hart, who is an older rookie at 22 years old, may be able to offer both more than Clarkson can.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Clarkson isn't overpaid. His deal is fine. That doesn't mean its easy to get rid of for a draft pick, but that's a different standard versus whether Clarkson is overpaid. Draft picks are at a premium.

Given that we re-signed Ennis, instead of bringing in a vet PG, it seems to me the backup PG spot is Clarkson's to lose. That probably means a minimum of 20 minutes per game behind Clarkson. However, at backup SG, Hart could very well get all of those minutes behind KCP. Three point shooting and defense are going to be valued above all else - Hart, who is an older rookie at 22 years old, may be able to offer both more than Clarkson can.

also remember KCP is a workhorse. so he is going to play 34-36mins per game.

that doesn't leave enough mins for clarkson.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

I doubt any player will get more than 32 minutes a game. We have depth and that will be utilized. There is no need to overwork anyone, especially since this will still be a developmental year. My guess is the minutes distribution will look something like this:

PG: Ball (22) / Clarkson (20) / Hart (6)
SG: KCP (32) / Clarkson (10) / Hart (6)
SF: Ingram (28) / Kuzma (10) / Ball (8)
PF: Randle (26) / Nance (8) / Kuzma (10) / Ingram (4)
C: Lopez (28) / Nance (14) / Randle (6)

I spread out the minutes strangely like that to illustrate a point - the players won't necessarily be defined by positions, but roles on the floor. Think of Ball in a 3 guard line up playing PG while guarding a SF. I think we'll see these lineups...

Clarkson/KCP/Ball/Kuzma/Nance
Clarkson/KCP/Ball/Ingram/Randle
Ball/Clarkson/Ingram/Kuzma/Nance
Ball/KCP/Ingram/Randle/Nance

I anticipate us going small a lot, including the 3 guard lineups above.

Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

LS I really doubt lonzo is going to average 22 mins
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

^Read my post again.

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Yea. I had to find the Lonzo mins in the SF spot. I'd be surprised he gets mins at SF in year 1. I'd say some spots at the 2 before time at the 3.

I like the JC mins at the 1.
I wonder if Ennis cracks the rotation.

Last edited by epak on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^Read my post again.

Damm u got him 8 minds at SF? He is too skinny for SF, no?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
^Read my post again.

That's why it is key that Ball gain some strength. At his height, he is capable of guarding the SF spot in a 3 guard lineup. You put Hart/KCP/Clarkson guarding the 1/2 depending on which two are in with Ball guarding the 3. All depends on that matchups, but against a 3 and D SF or a 3 and D 2? Sure. You exploit lineups that don't have a playmaker at the 3.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
^Read my post again.

That's why it is key that Ball gain some strength. At his height, he is capable of guarding the SF spot in a 3 guard lineup. You put Hart/KCP/Clarkson guarding the 1/2 depending on which two are in with Ball guarding the 3. All depends on that matchups, but against a 3 and D SF or a 3 and D 2? Sure. You exploit lineups that don't have a playmaker at the 3.

Yeah I was promoting a 3 guard lineup with ball at sf before the draft and got a ton of crap for it. I still think Ball can legit play 3 position and guard 3 position on the floor. He really was the perfect draft pick for us
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

He had games in summer league and college where he essentially played four positions. I definitely think they give him some run at the SF...but I'd be surprised in the first year if that's part of the regular rotation. Probably more situational, but Luke does go into mad scientist mode for stretches.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I doubt any player will get more than 32 minutes a game. We have depth and that will be utilized. There is no need to overwork anyone, especially since this will still be a developmental year. My guess is the minutes distribution will look something like this:

I spread out the minutes strangely like that to illustrate a point - the players won't necessarily be defined by positions, but roles on the floor. Think of Ball in a 3 guard line up playing PG while guarding a SF. I think we'll see these lineups...

I like the idea of Lonzo playing in 3 guard lineups. I doubt he's strong enough to defend SF's, but if KCP is in the game, maybe he can defend the three. Although one of the things I've heard about KCP is that he struggles defending big SG's, so even he might not be ideal there. But we've got to find a way to limit Brewer's minutes to approximately zero given his lack of shooting, and I don't want to see Deng play any minutes at the 3 either. Backup SF is out biggest hole right now imo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

I think the Lakers need to consider trading JC this year instead of next summer, when teams know the Lakers will be desperate to get cap space (let alone trade Deng). I'm not sure the Lakers will invest 30mpg in JC while they are looking for a suitable trade destination. I think for now, Ennis will get a lot of the backup PG minutes. Seems the Lakers FO/coaching staff aren't sold on JC as a playmaker in Luke's offense.

I'd rather see JC get the lion share of his minutes at backup SG. I honestly feel that is his best role on this team, especially without guys like Lou/Swaggy taking away shots from him. Our 2nd unit will need a scoring jolt and i think JC is the best option for that.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

I agree I think it's mostly going to be Lonzo and Ennis at PG and I think Lonzo is going to play pretty heavy minutes

KCP and JC at the 2.....KCP will probably also get heavy minutes but I think JC will get a decent amount of time.....and on occasion he may get some back up PG duties
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
I agree I think it's mostly going to be Lonzo and Ennis at PG and I think Lonzo is going to play pretty heavy minutes

KCP and JC at the 2.....KCP will probably also get heavy minutes but I think JC will get a decent amount of time.....and on occasion he may get some back up PG duties

Right. I think JC is probably 3rd in the depth chart at PG. I see more like Lonzo/Ennis/JC at PG, while KCP/JC/Hart at SG.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Clarkson getting 30 mpg next year would be a huge coaching blunder
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

Unless Clarkson really improves on all facets of his game, I would hope they keep his minutes minimal. I would think more minutes for KCP would keep him more in shooting rhythm plus the Lakers would benefit from his better defense.

If Clarkson doesn't show an improved 3 point stroke then he doesn't need so many minutes to keep his shooting rhythm....he should be able to do his drives still and his bad defense won't be exploited.

I know you guys say he is gone but he's still here and I really hope he surprises us. Dang JC, call up Michael Cooper and learn how to play Defense! Keep practicing those 3!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Nah. You want him to get his value back up as much as possible and given his ability to score, he'll put up numbers. Which will hopefully help wins also.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Nah. You want him to get his value back up as much as possible and given his ability to score, he'll put up numbers. Which will hopefully help wins also.

I would argue there is a better chance he does more damage to his value than help it if he plays that many minutes. I'm not even sold he is good enough to get PT on a playoff team(which we have a chance to be next year) let alone play 30 min on one.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Nation‏ @LakersNation 4m4 minutes ago
Great being out at @JordanClarksons @Nike basketball camp today at @HeartofLA with special guest @MagicJohnson!

Hey! Magic hasn't forgotten who JC is after all. Good good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 616, 617, 618 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 617 of 685
Jump to: