Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Very nice start for the rookie...just to think if we had a halfway decent coach who gave him more time earlier in the season, he'd be further along that what we saw the other night.

Either way, develop him; we have nothing to lose.

Agreed.

Disagree. Clarkson was able to learn the NBA lifestyle and rigors without having to worry about the criticism that comes from playing the game. The Lakers have a good rep for developing their young players, and I think they did it right with Jordan. Having a rookie start getting major minutes the second half of the season is a good way to introduce them to the NBA.

I think that depends on the rookie. Some are more "NBA ready" than others. And some take more time to develop. Both paths have seen success. Some rookies, like high draft picks on Lottery teams, are immediately thrown into the fire (like Lillard) and have the talent to respond and develop fast. Others are eased in and develop over time (look how long Nash took to blossom into an MVP).
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
kastuul wrote:
Clarkson likes a SG, more than a PG.

Don't see him play good D.
His +/- is negative.
If his D was good, Parker would't score 17pts within 22mins.

Offensively, he can push the pace.

You watched the game, correct? Jordan Clarkson wasn't the exclusive defender of Tony Parker.

Statements like the bolded bother me.

Parker dropped 28 & 7 on Golden State earlier in the year in 30 minutes. Does that make Stephen Curry any less of a great player?

He also dropped 17 & 7 on Portland in less than 30 minutes. I suppose that makes Damian Lillard chopped meat?

Heck, he even lit up Chris Paul for 26 points.

There is no such thing as a lock-down point guard defender. A lot of it has to do with the system being run. If Jeremy Lin was playing for San Antonio, he'd be a different player because of the way San Antonio plays their game.

It's similar to Golden State. A simple pick and their guards are open with a shot that they release so quickly and accurately that there's nearly nothing you can do. If you double them, they just pass it out for an easy basket.

but if it's Lin or Price and it's a different story right?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Very nice start for the rookie...just to think if we had a halfway decent coach who gave him more time earlier in the season, he'd be further along that what we saw the other night.

Either way, develop him; we have nothing to lose.

Agreed.

Disagree. Clarkson was able to learn the NBA lifestyle and rigors without having to worry about the criticism that comes from playing the game. The Lakers have a good rep for developing their young players, and I think they did it right with Jordan. Having a rookie start getting major minutes the second half of the season is a good way to introduce them to the NBA.

I think that depends on the rookie. Some are more "NBA ready" than others. And some take more time to develop. Both paths have seen success. Some rookies, like high draft picks on Lottery teams, are immediately thrown into the fire (like Lillard) and have the talent to respond and develop fast. Others are eased in and develop over time (look how long Nash took to blossom into an MVP).

Good points for sure, someone like Magic didn't need to sit and learn. No matter what, I think the Laker FO has done a good job of developing their young players in the past.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

tonman wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
kastuul wrote:

His +/- is negative.

You watched the game, correct? Jordan Clarkson wasn't the exclusive defender of Tony Parker.

Parker dropped 28 & 7 on Golden State earlier in the year in 30 minutes. Does that make Stephen Curry any less of a great player?

He also dropped 17 & 7 on Portland in less than 30 minutes. I suppose that makes Damian Lillard chopped meat?

There is no such thing as a lock-down point guard defender. A lot of it has to do with the system being run. If Jeremy Lin was playing for San Antonio, he'd be a different player because of the way San Antonio plays their game.

It's similar to Golden State. A simple pick and their guards are open with a shot that they release so quickly and accurately that there's nearly nothing you can do. If you double them, they just pass it out for an easy basket.

I'm not sure what part of my post suggested that I was a Jordan Clarkson only fan. I was just stating that comments like the part I bolded don't make sense to me regardless of who is guarding who. The way the game is played and more specifically how San Antonio plays.. You can't base the way a player (In this case Jordan) is defensively based on how much the opposing guard scored.

Whether it was Lin, price, or Clarkson.. I'd still disagree with stating if someones defense was good the other player wouldn't have scored x amount of points.
purple.23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
Clutch24 wrote:
purple.23 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
purple.23 wrote:
Clarkson did ok. But really, this team is so bad that all of the sudden the 2 draft picks are something that the Lakers can BUILD ON?! Wow. I see them as assets not something to build on.

You gotta learn how to crawl before you can walk. We gotta let the kid show his game and value, then we can judge, but it takes time. He's a rookie. In two years or so we will know for sure who Clarkson is. He looks just fine to me and certainly a nba player
This is why you go after the stars. It is so pathetic to see people look at them as something to build on. I just don't see it.

That's ok, man. Not everyone can understand this great game.

Right?

He's a minimum contract rookie with a ton of upside. How can you not want to see him play and hope he is a part of the future?
Don't get me wrong. We should give them (I'm including Randle too), and hope is a good thing, but com'on, they won't be stars. I get it, this is what a bad team, and this is what a bad team's media PR would do, especially when the season is over before the All-Star game.

If we can't get someone like KD (I can't see that), this team, the Lakers, is going to be like this for a long time.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I see an energy of confidence in Jordan that frankly, I don't see in Wiggins as of yet. I see it in Lavine, Smart, Parker Before he got hurt. Since all those guys went before Clarkson we got an absolute steal IMO.
kastuul
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:

tonman wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
kastuul wrote:

His +/- is negative.

Curry isn't a good defender. Lilliard too.
Every guard knows the best way to defend Curry is to attack his D and make him pay in both ends.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
tonman wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
kastuul wrote:

His +/- is negative.

I'm not sure what part of my post suggested that I was a Jordan Clarkson only fan. I was just stating that comments like the part I bolded don't make sense to me regardless of who is guarding who. The way the game is played and more specifically how San Antonio plays.. You can't base the way a player (In this case Jordan) is defensively based on how much the opposing guard scored.

Whether it was Lin, price, or Clarkson.. I'd still disagree with stating if someones defense was good the other player wouldn't have scored x amount of points.

I wasn't specifically responding to you. we hear from Lakers fans that one reason Lin was benched was his defense. so now Clarkson is starting and Parker drops 17 pts in 23 min and people are defending him. I actually agree with everything you said. that wasn't my point. my point is some people already have an idea of who they want playing and/or how good they are. in their eyes, if they want Clarkson starting, they gloss over his defense and say how well he played. Just like "Lin fans" gloss over his mistakes and "Kobe fans" deny his poor play this season and consider his teammates "POS" teammates.

so my point has always been that offense and defense is a team thing. you want to be better at offense or defense, getting rid of Player A and bringing in Player B isn't going to make much of a difference unless there is a good system in place. where it's an individual thing is how good you are at making the open shot or rotating and things within a player's control. getting picked on a PNR, well that's why the call it "Pick" and roll.

the nba is so "individualized" that its as some folks here constantly assert "Kobe did this all by himself" when in fact folks here have said how he takes off playing defense meaning he was dependent on his teammates while he rested. the Spurs showed/is showing the league and everyone out there that the individual player doesn't have to be great in all aspects as long as the team performs well at all aspects. no, Parker is not a great defender and neither is Ginobili. Duncan is but he's no spring chicken any more. so how are they playing "decent" defensively? Maybe it isn't Lin or Price that is the problem defensively... Maybe Lin leaving his man wide open is because someone else has failed to do their part and he was hedging to help. that's why I point the finger at the coaching staff.

folks have mentioned the square peg in round hole imagery. well my point is how many square pegs are you going to try before you realize that the round hole may be the problem, not necessarily the square peg?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Jordan Clarkson Highlights vs Spurs

He looks really really good

That he did.
rockets killer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
jjangx27 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Jordan Clarkson Highlights vs Spurs

He looks really really good

That he did.

ok clarkson is not bad. looks good. BUT seriously LAKER fans. Is he enough? 11 points? Have our expectations fallen so freaking low? 11 points when the whole offence is catered around him? How about Lin historically? He has dropped 38 points! on the spurs as a Rocket when Harden was not playing and 38 points on the MR Mamba himself with a strong Laker lineup. Why can't the Lakers just run a couple of games with the same offensive strag to make this happen (spread offensive) We have the pieces. What do we have to lose now for trying?

When Kobe was in the lineup, I agree Lin has to adjust to fit to KOBE, no choice for Lin, but when is KOBE is out , WTF are we waiting for guys?!! Even Mchale in the Rockets had the sense to exploit that, when Harden was out.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson is a rookie in his first start against the NBA Champions in his hometown.

To have 11 points, 6 assists and only 1 turnover is not a bad debut for a rookie that wasn't drafted to be a franchise player and was a late first round talent in the eyes of many which is why he was considered a 'steal' when the Lakers got him.

Maybe you should be the one dialing back your expectations a bit unless you're just being keen to stomp on any kind of positive light that comes.

Also here's some additional information.

Apparently Clarkson had been doing so well in practice that Byron was planning on starting him next to Kobe soon in place of Price.

Something to consider. Clarkson was apparently starting to earn it in practice. *gasp* but that's supposed to be impossible wasn't it?
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Clarkson is a rookie in his first start against the NBA Champions in his hometown.

To have 11 points, 6 assists and only 1 turnover is not a bad debut for a rookie that wasn't drafted to be a franchise player and was a late first round talent in the eyes of many which is why he was considered a 'steal' when the Lakers got him.

Maybe you should be the one dialing back your expectations a bit unless you're just being keen to stomp on any kind of positive light that comes.

Also here's some additional information.

Apparently Clarkson had been doing so well in practice that Byron was planning on starting him next to Kobe soon in place of Price.

Something to consider. Clarkson was apparently starting to earn it in practice. *gasp* but that's supposed to be impossible wasn't it?
KELLY CLARKSON! highlight of the year
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm not going to come in here and say Clarkson is the next best thing, but he played really well last night. Here's to seeing more of him.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Inconsistent 3 pt shooter; needs a midrange jumper, but has the drive and athleticism to become a Ron Harper type of guard. His out of control play will improve once he gets more minutes.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
Inconsistent 3 pt shooter; needs a midrange jumper, but has the drive and athleticism to become a Ron Harper type of guard. His out of control play will improve once he gets more minutes.

He's played so little it's hard to know what he has in his game. I think he has a midrange J, I've seen him make a few.. He's only taken so many
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject:

lol, you guys are terrible at recognizing talent.

His mid-range jumper is very good, amazing in transition, good spot up shooter and moves without the ball.

People will say he has a SG mentality, hello lillard!

He was forced to score in college because his team sucked, hes not a 10apg guy, but 5-7 is doable.

14ppg
6apg
4rpg

if he gets 30 min he will be posting that by the end of the year on a consistant basis.
villavs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:

His mid-range jumper is very good, amazing in transition, good spot up shooter and moves without the ball.

He was forced to score in college because his team sucked, hes not a 10apg guy, but 5-7 is doable.

14ppg
6apg
4rpg

if he gets 30 min he will be posting that by the end of the year on a consistant basis.

Not sure if this was already posted, but here's the scouting report on Clarkson:

Assets: Creative as a playmaker. Loves pushing the ball and penetrating into the paint, then does a superb job of either dishing off, finishing with flair, or drawing contact. Hits his freebies. Has good size for the point position, and nice length and quickness for defensive responsibilities.

Flaws: Still somewhat raw and mistake-prone; plays a bit out of control at times, and needs to rein in both his game and his shooting stroke. Could use significantly more muscle mass for all aspects of the game. Not the steals guy he could be.

Career Potential: Creative, athletic playmaking combo guard with upside.
JrR31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject:

villavs wrote:
watchME wrote:

14ppg
6apg
4rpg

Not sure if this was already posted, but here's the scouting report on Clarkson:

Assets: Creative as a playmaker. Loves pushing the ball and penetrating into the paint, then does a superb job of either dishing off, finishing with flair, or drawing contact. Hits his freebies. Has good size for the point position, and nice length and quickness for defensive responsibilities.

Flaws: Still somewhat raw and mistake-prone; plays a bit out of control at times, and needs to rein in both his game and his shooting stroke. Could use significantly more muscle mass for all aspects of the game. Not the steals guy he could be.

Career Potential: Creative, athletic playmaking combo guard with upside.

He's not an immediate impact player like Randall. Right out of the gates Randall was BEASTING. This kid can be a solid contributor. But lacks seasoning. Lin and Price have had years of experience and are playing well. So BS is sticking with them at the moment.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Wow, a lot of you guys are pretty tough on a rookie that we stole in the second round. He looked very good in his first real opportunity against the defending champs. I can't wait to see him and Randle in the pick and roll next year.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
Wow, a lot of you guys are pretty tough on a rookie that we stole in the second round. He looked very good in his first real opportunity against the defending champs. I can't wait to see him and Randle in the pick and roll next year.

In the summer league him and Randle did well but it was in transition/fast break were they looked very good.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Troublesome626 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

In the summer league him and Randle did well but it was in transition/fast break were they looked very good.

isn't the finish poetry in motion..
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

isn't the finish poetry in motion..

Yes. Damn shame we were not able to see it during this season.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject:

We saw it a lot in pre-season. Clarkson and Randle had great chemistry. In the limited minutes, Clarkson and Black have pretty good chemistry too.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
We saw it a lot in pre-season. Clarkson and Randle had great chemistry. In the limited minutes, Clarkson and Black have pretty good chemistry too.

I just hope that JC continues to get meaningful minutes to develop and mature.
It is very important that he improves so that next season JC, Randle and Black can gel together. It doesn't matter if it's as starters or on the second unit.
We have got to start building team continuity and consistency before a "losing" mindset settles in and becomes a habit.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

Was Clarkson playing pg in the Summer League? I remember Kendall Marshall playing the point with Clarkson as the sg, but I don't know how many times that happened. I think Clarkson's natural position is sg. He'd be a great pg in the triangle offense though.

I'm cheering for this kid. Hope we can develop him like we did with Jodie Meeks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 16 of 685
Jump to: