Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson is to blame for the ball stopping at times more than the offense. A lot actually.

There have been many a time he's went 1 on 3 when he had a teammate wide open (usually Russell) but Clarkson went for the long 2 or trying to drive it to the basket with his strength.

When he hits the shots no one says a thing, but when he isn't, it becomes more evident.

Clarkson needs to learn how to pass from the 2 more and look for his teammates cause they are wide open when he tries to force things.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject:

I am really impressed with Clarkson so far... along with Jabari Brown... the rest of his teammates are very disappointing.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
I am really impressed with Clarkson so far... along with Jabari Brown... the rest of his teammates are very disappointing.

Also helps that they're much older and have a full NBA season of experience too.

But I do like what Clarkson is showing. Lots of improvement on his body.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Also helps that they're much older and have a full NBA season of experience too.

But I do like what Clarkson is showing. Lots of improvement on his body.

Afrosho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:

You gotta love Jordan's dedication...

Quote:
Lakers’ Jordan Clarkson not satisfied with promising rookie season

Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson, who is averaging a team-leading 18 points in the summer league, will look to improve on his rookie season. (John Locher/The Associated Press)

The congratulatory text messages flooded Jordan Clarkson’s phone. The Lakers’ guard just landed on the NBA’s all-rookie first team, a bright spot following a sour Lakers’ season and a fitting end to a journey that started as an unnoticed second-round pick.

Among the well wishes included Clarkson’s personal trainer, Drew Hanlen, who witnessed his client working endlessly to prove his worth in a league that initially doubted him.

But instead of basking in his latest achievement, Clarkson responded with a terse message.

“‘We got to get better this summer,’” Clarkson wrote back to Hanlen. “‘Let’s go.’”

It makes sense why Clarkson felt that way.

The Lakers soon drafted D’Angelo Russell, who will start at point guard and handle most of the ball-handling duties. Kobe Bryant will also return after nursing a right shoulder injury that limited him last season to 35 games.

And Lakers coach Byron Scott and general manager Mitch Kupchak challenged Clarkson to prove he can build on his opening act.

“We like Jordan Clarkson,” Kupchak said. “He was a good player for us this year on a very bad team. So I don’t know how that’s going to play out. But we think he has a future.”

Clarkson made the first step in making Kupchak’s words prophetic, averaging a team-leading 18 points through four summer-league games. Clarkson and those around him also argued his accelerated development and promising potential stem from his work behind closed doors. That also could ensure a lucrative deal once Clarkson’s contract expires after the 2015-16 season, one that will pay him the league minimum $845,059 for a second-year player.

“I’d rather be out here playing than sitting at home on the couch watching these games,” Clarkson said. “I want to build chemistry.”

A MEETING OF THE MINDS

The conversation seemed pointless.

NBA mock drafts pegged Clarkson as a late first-round pick after averaging 17.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game during his junior season at University of Missouri. The Lakers had the seventh selection of the 2014 NBA Draft and limited assets to secure a pick that could land Clarkson. Yet, Kupchak and Clarkson still met during the pre-draft combine to address an improbable scenario.

“I just remember Mitch saying, ‘You never know what can happen in the draft,’” Clarkson recalled.

Clarkson laughed as he told the story a year later, aware of the irony surrounding Kupchak’s words. Clarkson said he worked out for most NBA teams representing the draft’s top 25 picks, but that did not include the Lakers.

Yet, the Lakers still paid Washington $1.8 million for the 46th pick to secure Clarkson because of what Kupchak described as his “NBA size, NBA speed and athleticism.”

The gamble worked.

After he sat in 23 of the first 43 games, Clarkson started at point guard amid Bryant’s season-ending injury and inconsistency from Jeremy Lin and Ronnie Price. Clarkson averaged 15.8 points on 45.8 percent shooting, five assists and 4.2 rebounds in 32.1 minutes through 38 starts.

But when Clarkson met with Kupchak and Scott in his exit meeting, the conversation steered from praise toward critiquing. The Lakers instructed Clarkson to address nearly everything, ranging from improving his outside shot, ball handling and strength. They advised Clarkson to prepare playing more off-the-ball, defending perimeter players and becoming a vocal leader.

“I don’t want to put limitations on him,” Scott said. “I want him to grow in every area.”

PUTTING IN THE WORK

It appears little will inhibit Clarkson from fulfilling those expectations.

When Clarkson hosted camps this summer in China and the Philippines, he flew Hanlen out on one trip (China) and followed detailed instructions for the other (Philippines) so he could continue training.

Clarkson wanted to reunite with the recently retired Steve Nash just before summer league play started. So Clarkson flew to New York to meet with Nash at his summer residency.

Clarkson has wanted to maximize his offseason regiment, so he took only three weeks off before returning to work May 12. Since then, Clarkson has often completed skill workouts with Lakers assistants Mark Madsen and Larry Lewis, weight-training sessions with strength and conditioning coach Tim DiFrancesco and more skill workouts with Hanlen.

“Some players will do the work, but they think it’s a pain,” DiFrancesco said. “But Jordan really enjoys the process of growing, learning and getting better.”

That has played out in numerous ways.

DiFrancesco said Clarkson has added 10 to 15 pounds in muscle, increasing his weight from 180 to between 190-195 pounds. Clarkson has completed various strength exercises two days a week, including chin-ups, bench presses, squats, dead lifts and band resistance drills, and focuses two other days on leg exercises.

The Lakers believe this will make Clarkson more equipped to defend stronger guards, finish with more efficiency and minimize injury to any tendons.

Meanwhile, Clarkson narrowed his focus with Hanlen on three things nearly every day.

To improve his outside shooting, Clarkson altered his balance by jumping straight up and tweaked his release point by raising his right elbow.

To improve his pick-and-roll execution, Clarkson has dropped his hips and relaxed his chest so that he can move at a more methodical and efficient pace.

To improve his finishing at the rim, Clarkson has varied his attempts with both hands.

“He’s going to be a stud next season,” Hanlen said of Clarkson. “People will realize last year wasn’t a fluke and wasn’t a byproduct of an unsuccessful team. They will realize his success is because he’s a good basketball player.”

Clarkson made many realize that already.

After spending last season taking notes from Bryant and Nash, Clarkson has helped Russell and rookie small forward Anthony Brown learn Scott’s Princeton-based offense and temper their pace. Clarkson also deferred to Russell on ball-handling duties, while shifting focus toward scoring and rebounding (3.3 per game).

“He’s growing and getting better every day,” Russell said. “It’s amazing for me to see him and witness it. He’s vocally incredible with it. I ask him a question and he has a perfect answer.”

THE NEXT STEP

Clarkson also delivered the perfect answer when DiFrancesco asked for his grades in four areas.

Though he considered his weight training and skill development warranted an “A+,” Clarkson gave himself a “D” in sleep and nutrition.

Despite raving about Clarkson’s tireless work ethic, DiFrancesco has advised him to devote more time to recovery. He also noted that Clarkson struggles with avoiding sugary foods. Yet, Clarkson plans to shop for groceries with DiFrancesco following summer league.

“It wasn’t him blatantly going out of his way not to be good in those areas,” DiFrancesco said. “He just hasn’t developed those habits. But he has recognized that.”

Additional hurdles could loom surrounding Clarkson’s 3-point shooting (26.3 percent), Russell’s development or Bryant’s presence. But Clarkson has vowed to push through, whether it entailed proving the general public wrong about his draft status or refusing to gloat over the first of possibly many NBA accolades.

“My mindset hasn’t changed. I still have the same chip,” Clarkson said. “I’m still a work in progress.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150717/lakers-jordan-clarkson-not-satisfied-with-promising-rookie-season
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

You must hate when players pass the ball to an open teammate. These two have been scoring well but have also been taking over the offense when they get the ball and not looking to move it around at all. Not to mention neither play much on ball defense. Clarkson is great off the ball but can't keep anybody in front of him.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Love those articles about Clarkson's dedication. It's amazing how critical some Lakers fan still are about this guy. I also heard David Aldridge say that Clarkson would eventually be ideal as a 3rd guard on a good team playing 15-20 minutes a game. That's just insane to me. Can't wait for Clarkson to prove the player he is. The guy is going to make an all-star team one day... just watch.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject:

Clarkson's dunk in the Utah game is impressive.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject:

I heard that comment today also, imo that is insanity. Clarkson is a starter with all-star potential imo.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Love those articles about Clarkson's dedication. It's amazing how critical some Lakers fan still are about this guy. I also heard David Aldridge say that Clarkson would eventually be ideal as a 3rd guard on a good team playing 15-20 minutes a game. That's just insane to me. Can't wait for Clarkson to prove the player he is. The guy is going to make an all-star team one day... just watch.

To be fair, david aldridge is an idiot
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

That comment made me cringe. I just brushed it off. DA comes off as one of those insiders that never breaks any news and doesn't really know his basketball. Rick Kamla on the other hand is a hardcore basketball junkie.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
That comment made me cringe. I just brushed it off. DA comes off as one of those insiders that never breaks any news and doesn't really know his basketball. Rick Kamla on the other hand is a hardcore basketball junkie.

He also has to bring up michael jordan in every single conversation he ever has
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

This kid will be a star in this league. He has the "IT" factor. Another year or two of experience will do wonders for him.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

I'm not worried about people calling jc a ball stopper; People call Kobe a ball stopper, even though he has the most assists from the 2 guard postion and he's won rings. Jc has an alpha mentality, where he feels he has to lift his team up, when they are down because he doesn't like to lose; Randle is the same way. They also kick up their play another notch. These are playoff, championship type players.

When Russell gets more comfortable (randle as well), and the team develops more chemistry, we will have 3 killers on our team. A great luxury to have.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
Clarkson's dunk in the Utah game is impressive.
Laker_Lifer_25
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

SL was almost unbearable because of the announcers. Many didn't know JC's game along with our other 2nd year players. Reggie Miller pretends to know what the lakers are thinking, but he makes asinine comments proving he's never watched the Lakers outside of the minimal LAL coverage on TNT last year. Agreed, David Aldridge shouldn't call anymore games after his nonsensical analysis of player potential. Plus, it's Clarkson, not "Clarkston!" 😝
Conservative guess, JC is at worst a really good starter (baring injuries).
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

Kobe was a ball stopper at times too. He was just one of the best players in the NBA and was so good it was beneficial for him to be a ball stopper at times. Clarkson is not good enough to be the same kind of ball stopper Kobe is imo. Aldridge said (I'm paraphrasing) he will be a very good 3rd guard for a very good team. I think that is a very fair assessment. Actually I think that is what most NBA non laker fans believe. I hope he becomes the all star most people on LG think he will be but I just don't see it. On a good team I'm thinking 4th or 5th starter or a very good 6th man/first guard off the bench is more what I see him as. Again I hope I'm wrong but I believe it is too early and he hasn't shown enough to be called a future perennial all star
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Kobe was a ball stopper at times too. He was just one of the best players in the NBA and was so good it was beneficial for him to be a ball stopper at times. Clarkson is not good enough to be the same kind of ball stopper Kobe is imo. Aldridge said (I'm paraphrasing) he will be a very good 3rd guard for a very good team. I think that is a very fair assessment. Actually I think that is what most NBA non laker fans believe. I hope he becomes the all star most people on LG think he will be but I just don't see it. On a good team I'm thinking 4th or 5th starter or a very good 6th man/first guard off the bench is more what I see him as. Again I hope I'm wrong but I believe it is too early and he hasn't shown enough to be called a future perennial all star

Mitch seems to disagree with you as well. He's already been on record saying that he believes Clarkson/Russell can be the Lakers backcourt for the next 10 years. I'm not really seeing 6th man as his ceiling. Clarkson I think is already better than a lot of starting 2 guards that are around the league. And the biggest point for me is that Clarkson is not satisfied with where he is. He knows there are areas where he needs to get better at. So putting a 6th man ceiling on Clarkson seems foolish to me.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

He's stuck in the past. He was actually a pretty decent reporter about a decade ago. Not quite sure what happened to him.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

He's stuck in the past. He was actually a pretty decent reporter about a decade ago. Not quite sure what happened to him.

Add guys like Ahmad Rashad to the list...some of these dudes careers were over once MJ retired....
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Mitch seems to disagree with you as well. He's already been on record saying that he believes Clarkson/Russell can be the Lakers backcourt for the next 10 years. I'm not really seeing 6th man as his ceiling. Clarkson I think is already better than a lot of starting 2 guards that are around the league. And the biggest point for me is that Clarkson is not satisfied with where he is. He knows there are areas where he needs to get better at. So putting a 6th man ceiling on Clarkson seems foolish to me.

Never said that was his ceiling I said I believe he will be anywhere between a 4th or 5th starter to a 6th man. His ceiling is higher but he would have to improve a ton which I'm not positive hell do. Let's remember that Rondo was the 4th guy on the celts when they were good and he was a very good player. If he is starting it will be at guard so I also see them being the backcourt for the near future at least. If he is the 6th man I believe it will be because we picked up a stud to go next to Russell and we are competing for championships. I'm not bashing clarkson just trying to be realistic.

Also, what else is Mitch supposed to say?! You don't know what he's thinking. He said they could be the starting backcourt, if clarkson is 4 or 5th starter they will be the backcourt. Even if Mitch doesn't believe that it is what he has to say to the media.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Never said that was his ceiling I said I believe he will be anywhere between a 4th or 5th starter to a 6th man. His ceiling is higher but he would have to improve a ton which I'm not positive hell do. Let's remember that Rondo was the 4th guy on the celts when they were good and he was a very good player. If he is starting it will be at guard so I also see them being the backcourt for the near future at least. If he is the 6th man I believe it will be because we picked up a stud to go next to Russell and we are competing for championships. I'm not bashing clarkson just trying to be realistic.

Also, what else is Mitch supposed to say?! You don't know what he's thinking. He said they could be the starting backcourt, if clarkson is 4 or 5th starter they will be the backcourt. Even if Mitch doesn't believe that it is what he has to say to the media.

it's cool that you don't think Clarkson will reach his ceiling. Everyone has their own opinion but I think it's rare for a guy with Clarkson's dedication to getting better to not reach his ceiling. I mean you just have to look at the improvement Clarkson made as a rookie. He went from being solely a scorer to averaging 6 assist in a month. I have faith in Clarkson because he's shown the work ethic to be a great player. The only way I could see Clarkson being replaced as a starter is if we get a guy like Westbrook.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

it's cool that you don't think Clarkson will reach his ceiling. Everyone has their own opinion but I think it's rare for a guy with Clarkson's dedication to getting better to not reach his ceiling. I mean you just have to look at the improvement Clarkson made as a rookie. He went from being solely a scorer to averaging 6 assist in a month. I have faith in Clarkson because he's shown the work ethic to be a great player. The only way I could see Clarkson being replaced as a starter is if we get a guy like Westbrook.

Harden or Westbrook were my first thoughts when I said stud. I don't think as many players reach their ceiling as you think. Even when the dedication and work ethic is there. Injuries, trades, changing coaching staffs and off court things can always happen. Not wishing any on him just realizing that all those things are possible. Look at the end of his college career, it's already happened to him once.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

The next step for clarkson is to learn how to win games now.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject:

People really need to read the book outliers. All the so called studs got the benefit of someone seeing something in them early right from the high school days. Then because they got more attention compared to others they got better than others as they matured.

There are so many factors involved in being a stud, luck and being in the right place at the right time is one of them. According to the pundits curry would not make it in the NBA. He played didn't play in one of the big schools. But see where he is right now. He always had talent but what separates him is his work ethic.

Jordan clarkson has been labelled as a 46 round pick and that is all he will be in the minds of most people. He could very well be the best guard in that draft just unfortunate to have had a year in college that was impacted by personal family reasons.

There is nothing clarkson doesn't have that be cannot improve. And what he does have is what cannot be taught which is desire and commitment to improve.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 162 of 685
Jump to: