Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Clarkson is to blame for the ball stopping at times more than the offense. A lot actually.

There have been many a time he's went 1 on 3 when he had a teammate wide open (usually Russell) but Clarkson went for the long 2 or trying to drive it to the basket with his strength.

When he hits the shots no one says a thing, but when he isn't, it becomes more evident.

Clarkson needs to learn how to pass from the 2 more and look for his teammates cause they are wide open when he tries to force things.

An Sg's job is to be aggressive and to keep the defense on it's heels. Maybe he forces it 2-3 times in a row, and now suddenly the D is collapsing and he passes out. He's the best scorer out there so he should be the most aggressive one of the bunch. Keep the defense honest and working, and good things will happen. I'm not too worried about his aggression.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

i LOVE clarkson's work ethic this summer.

I am happy to eat crow on clarkson.

Randle? still time
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson avg 5 apg playing with average players. He passes the ball when players are open. He doesn't have the vision like Russell but he's still a really good passer for a combo guard. His explosiveness and athleticism is why he's so dangerous in the P&R. He's not Westbrook but it's as close as you're going to get for an athletic PG.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

He needs to use it more from the 2, he does it at the 1 but he has to do it from the 2 as well.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
MJST wrote:
Clarkson is to blame for the ball stopping at times more than the offense. A lot actually.

There have been many a time he's went 1 on 3 when he had a teammate wide open (usually Russell) but Clarkson went for the long 2 or trying to drive it to the basket with his strength.

When he hits the shots no one says a thing, but when he isn't, it becomes more evident.

Clarkson needs to learn how to pass from the 2 more and look for his teammates cause they are wide open when he tries to force things.

An Sg's job is to be aggressive and to keep the defense on it's heels. Maybe he forces it 2-3 times in a row, and now suddenly the D is collapsing and he passes out. He's the best scorer out there so he should be the most aggressive one of the bunch. Keep the defense honest and working, and good things will happen. I'm not too worried about his aggression.

Clarkson understands the summer league mentality and played accordingly.

He also understands that the regular season is a totally different animal.

I look forward seeing him grow as a Laker.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Glad to hear he and Russell have been hanging out off the court.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:

Yeah, I think they have great potential together as long as they see each other as partners not rivals.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

Yeah, I think they have great potential together as long as they see each other as partners not rivals.

It's a great thing that the both of them are young. It's easier to build a friendship and even though Clarkson is a 2nd year player he's still proving he belongs as well and that helps their relationship in that I don't think they will fight over roles or who is the leader.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
24 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

It's a great thing that the both of them are young. It's easier to build a friendship and even though Clarkson is a 2nd year player he's still proving he belongs as well and that helps their relationship in that I don't think they will fight over roles or who is the leader.

They complement each other really well on the court. One has speed and quickness while the other plays a more calculated and cerebral game. I think they will be great together.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Overall, I'm excited about what Clarkson showed during SL. I'm excited about what he's going to do this year on the court. I hope he keeps working on that 3-point shot for the next couple of months...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
24 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

It helps that Russell's game will get Clarkson scoring opportunities and Clarkson's game takes scoring pressure off Russell.
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Man, it's a little disheartening to see how most fans easily forget. I see comments like "clarkson is a terrible passer/pg" and "clarkson is a terrible defender" etc. To be honest i would trust clarkson with the pg role over russell based on what I've seen so far. In the last remaining months of last season, clarkson was able to post solid numbers for a rookie in assists, with minimal turnovers... For a rookie, let alone for a regular nba player. So far in summer league russell seems a little so so. Correct me if im wrong, but i do remember clarkson posting decent assist stats in last years summer league. At this point i rather have clarkson take the ball handling duties. Give the kid some props. He deserved it.
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Iversondalivest1 wrote:
Man, it's a little disheartening to see how most fans easily forget. I see comments like "clarkson is a terrible passer/pg" and "clarkson is a terrible defender" etc. To be honest i would trust clarkson with the pg role over russell based on what I've seen so far. In the last remaining months of last season, clarkson was able to post solid numbers for a rookie in assists, with minimal turnovers... For a rookie, let alone for a regular nba player. So far in summer league russell seems a little so so. Correct me if im wrong, but i do remember clarkson posting decent assist stats in last years summer league. At this point i rather have clarkson take the ball handling duties. Give the kid some props. He deserved it.

I agree on the passing thing, I think it is pretty much based on summer league and not really fair. He showed solid passing instincts last season and I'd expect that to continue.

On the defense... at this point, every single statistic I can find paints him as a terrible defender. Defensive rating, on/off court stats, opponent stats, everything. So I'm not sure what you're getting at there. He has the physical tools to be a fine defender, sure, but the facts don't back it up yet.

I think Clarkson and Russell should share ballhandling duties. They each bring something different to the lead guard position and that could help keep the defense off guard and our offense diverse.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Heck yeah Clarkson is a BOSS.

He pushed Kobe Bryant out of his natural position! Now that's a frigging BOSS.

Jordan's new nickname: The Blackest Mamba?
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson should focus improving his defense. I will not be surprised if he will see limited minutes if his defense is bad.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
Clarkson should focus improving his defense. I will not be surprised if he will see limited minutes if his defense is bad.

Lol and who is going to replace him?
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

Harrison Barnes and Jordan Clarkson headline Kevin Pelton's list of 2016 free agents in line for big raises.

Looking at 10 possible 2016 free agents in line for big raises as the cap increases: http://es.pn/1HYqXtt 
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Harrison Barnes and Jordan Clarkson headline Kevin Pelton's list of 2016 free agents in line for big raises.

Looking at 10 possible 2016 free agents in line for big raises as the cap increases: http://es.pn/1HYqXtt 

Can't teams only offer the MLE for Clarkson?
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

He's a RFA so we can match any offer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Right, but the first 2 years can only be MLE (offer from other teams; we can offer whatever we want).
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
I'd wager that Clarkson leads the teams in minutes. He can defend and Hibbert presence will help.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
I'd wager that Clarkson leads the teams in minutes. He can defend and Hibbert presence will help.

Well, he certainly didn't last year.

I think there's the physical ability to do so, but he would have to improve considerably from last year (where he was the #1 offensive option).
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Right, but the first 2 years can only be MLE (offer from other teams; we can offer whatever we want).
If he has another break out year I think the Lakers brass will pay him fair value given how much the cap will go up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

If he has another break out year I think the Lakers brass will pay him fair value given how much the cap will go up.

Maybe, maybe not. They may tell him to get offers and match it since it will be restricted to the MLE level the first 2 years. They may also ask him to sit tight so we can use his cheap cap hold so we can maximize our 60m cap space.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
ryan_c wrote:

Well, he certainly didn't last year.

I think there's the physical ability to do so, but he would have to improve considerably from last year (where he was the #1 offensive option).
IMO he's the best player on the team. He was very efficient as a starter and avg big minutes. Kobe won't play as many minutes. I see no reason why Clarkson can't lead the team in minutes and points.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 163 of 685
Jump to: