Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
22 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Completely disagree. Russell is a natural point guard and Clarkson is a natural scorer. Dlo initiates the offense much better than Clarkson.

I think Clarkson's athleticism gives him the advantage when it comes to initiating. I think we have 4 players capable of initiating in our starting lineup. I'd like to see it mixed up a bit where they all get turns to prevent predictability, but my bread & butter would be JC probing with a high P&R with Julius. DLO on the strong side and Kobe in the weakside corner. If JC gets the step he can attack right away. Kobe can come weak to strong, Jules can get looks, it can be swung to DLO who can then shoot or start another PnR action from there. So many possibilities

TL/DR; JC:Parker::DLO:Ginobli IMO. I can they can be successful sharing responsibilities like that

Clarkson's athletic but Dlo has way better ball handling and gets through pressure better. Clarkson should be left at the 2 to start the game.

From what I've seen, I'm not convinced DLO has way better ball handling nor does he get through pressure better. Im not saying he cant on both aspects, just not better than Clarkson. I definitely like the Clarkson/Randle P&R concept as the bread and butter with Kobe and Russell on the corners and facillitating switch-up as necessary.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Iversondalivest1 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:
22 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Completely disagree. Russell is a natural point guard and Clarkson is a natural scorer. Dlo initiates the offense much better than Clarkson.

I think Clarkson's athleticism gives him the advantage when it comes to initiating. I think we have 4 players capable of initiating in our starting lineup. I'd like to see it mixed up a bit where they all get turns to prevent predictability, but my bread & butter would be JC probing with a high P&R with Julius. DLO on the strong side and Kobe in the weakside corner. If JC gets the step he can attack right away. Kobe can come weak to strong, Jules can get looks, it can be swung to DLO who can then shoot or start another PnR action from there. So many possibilities

TL/DR; JC:Parker::DLO:Ginobli IMO. I can they can be successful sharing responsibilities like that

Clarkson's athletic but Dlo has way better ball handling and gets through pressure better. Clarkson should be left at the 2 to start the game.

From what I've seen, I'm not convinced DLO has way better ball handling nor does he get through pressure better. Im not saying he cant on both aspects, just not better than Clarkson. I definitely like the Clarkson/Randle P&R concept as the bread and butter with Kobe and Russell on the corners and facillitating switch-up as necessary.

He most definitely brings the ball up smoother than JC. The biggest flaw besides defense for Clarkson is his lack of PG ball handling especially versus full court pressure. If you watch Dlo you'll notice him very calm and collected smoothly bringing the ball up while keeping his head up scanning the floor.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Regarding JC's defense, I think his ineptness in this area is being overstated. He's not getting blown by on man to man coverage. He's having some trouble navigating those picks being set on him, but I think the team D needs to help him out a little better in those situations. Granted, he fell asleep on a couple of possessions, but he also got burned a few times because he tried to help deny penetration and didn't have anyone rotating to cover his man. Plus, he had a tough assignment in Lowry, who was hitting shots even when he was well-defended.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind Clarkson on a 4 year deal at around 27-30 mil.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Regarding JC's defense, I think his ineptness in this area is being overstated. He's not getting blown by on man to man coverage. He's having some trouble navigating those picks being set on him, but I think the team D needs to help him out a little better in those situations. Granted, he fell asleep on a couple of possessions, but he also got burned a few times because he tried to help deny penetration and didn't have anyone rotating to cover his man. Plus, he had a tough assignment in Lowry, who was hitting shots even when he was well-defended.

I'm high on JC but when Kyle Lowry dominates you with 25 pts. His defense I consider horrible and I know I will get flak for it. JC' biggest project to me is hos defense and he has great athleticism but he has poor defensive vision
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerBeastmode wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

I'm high on JC but when Kyle Lowry dominates you with 25 pts. His defense I consider horrible and I know I will get flak for it. JC' biggest project to me is hos defense and he has great athleticism but he has poor defensive vision

Lowry balled on the Clippers a few days back too. His defense needs to get better, but I think the real issue is that multiple players were making mistakes on the perimeter.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson and Russell aren't exactly struggling to share the ball, either.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:

Clarkson also has Kobe syndrome. He constantly drifts into no-man land. And when the ball rotates, open 3 for his man.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject:

Byron's camp's got his legs.. Can't wait to see explosive Clarkson. Hopefully game 1 !
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject:

Iversondalivest1 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:
22 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

JC is CLEARLY the weaker ball handler. Russell's handle is tighter, where as JC's can get a little loose. Clarkson's off hand is not as fluent as Russell's, as a result, JC depends on speed the moment he's pressured. When you are strong both ways, you can shift right or left and protect the ball equally. When you can't protect the ball equally, you just want to blow by your man to get away from the situation. Anyone who's ever played the PG position in any level of organized ball, but was not completely strong both ways would know exactly what I'm talking about.

Having said that, D-LO doesn't like to shoot with his right, but he absolutely goes and drives right fluently.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject:

Clarkson playing too 'full of' himself lately. Like he thinks he's Westbrook NOW... he is trying to force himself on the game cause he thinks he can take everyone instead of letting the game come to him EVEN when he's playing the point.

he needs to be sat down and sat down fast and put back on track before he becomes Ellis instead of Westbrook and Ellis got traded for a reason, despite being a crowd favorite.

Clarkson needs to come back in his own mind. I get it.. you worked hard on summer and want to prove yourself all over again, that doesn't mean you go 1 on 4 and jack up 3s from 40 feet away just cause you feel like you CAN now cause you're better in your 2nd year. Get back to what got you here in the first place Clarkson! Your patience, change of speed, scoring ability and ability to find your teammates while attacking.

I'm seeing NONE of that in pre-season with the kind of consistency I expect of him in his 2nd year.
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Byron's camp's got his legs.. Can't wait to see explosive Clarkson. Hopefully game 1 !

I'm thinking the same thing. I was wondering why he's been gun shy on the dunks and settling for layups. Looking at the summer league highlights and some of last season's, he can get up there and throw it down. But during these preseason games, not much altitude on those hops. I'm hoping he gets enough recovery time before game 1 so we can see that explosiveness he's been working on before this preseason started. I want to see Clarkson dunk on 'em!
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject:

Clarkson will be fine. When his outside shot isn't falling he can always rely on getting to the rim. It all comes down to touches with him, he's not getting enough offensively. There's still too much Kobe iso.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Clarkson playing too 'full of' himself lately. Like he thinks he's Westbrook NOW... he is trying to force himself on the game cause he thinks he can take everyone instead of letting the game come to him EVEN when he's playing the point.

he needs to be sat down and sat down fast and put back on track before he becomes Ellis instead of Westbrook and Ellis got traded for a reason, despite being a crowd favorite.

Clarkson needs to come back in his own mind. I get it.. you worked hard on summer and want to prove yourself all over again, that doesn't mean you go 1 on 4 and jack up 3s from 40 feet away just cause you feel like you CAN now cause you're better in your 2nd year. Get back to what got you here in the first place Clarkson! Your patience, change of speed, scoring ability and ability to find your teammates while attacking.

I'm seeing NONE of that in pre-season with the kind of consistency I expect of him in his 2nd year.

Clarkson's game does nothing to me. He's numbers r empty stats as he does not make players around him better. Russel on the other hand makes the offense flow whenever steps foot on the court, we already have Kobe, don't need another iso ball hog like Clarkson. I'd stick Clarkson on bench as the 6th man and start either Nance Jr or Brown at SF
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

This is most clear to me as well.

I don't mean to be down on the kid, but he is just too talented to be playing the way he has.

Usually high work ethic players are synonymous with tough defense and good IQ.

He lacks in both.

In terms of defense: this guy should be above average given his physical gifts. With his length, strength, and athleticism, he should be completely smothering the likes of Trey Burke or Cory Joseph. Sadly, as far as I can tell, he is still just as bad in this department as he was last year.

IQ: He continues to take bad shots, like drifting mid air jumpers or highly contested layups/floaters, as well as seem to disregard making plays consistently. Most of the time, when he does make a play, it was a bailout pass after being closed off by the defense and not something he intended on creating with his impressive offensive ability.

His showing so far being a disappointment, is an understatement.

I am expecting a lot from him since he showed us some impressive stuff last year. I'd hope given his experience playing against nba caliber opponents last year, that he would be a step above every other young guy we have. That does not appear to be the case as of now.

Granted, it is preseason and there is more than enough time for him to improve. I just know that JC is much better than what he is showing now.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject:

Sacreligious wrote:
MJST wrote:

This is most clear to me as well.

I don't mean to be down on the kid, but he is just too talented to be playing the way he has.

Usually high work ethic players are synonymous with tough defense and good IQ.

He lacks in both.

In terms of defense: this guy should be above average given his physical gifts. With his length, strength, and athleticism, he should be completely smothering the likes of Trey Burke or Cory Joseph. Sadly, as far as I can tell, he is still just as bad in this department as he was last year.

IQ: He continues to take bad shots, like drifting mid air jumpers or highly contested layups/floaters, as well as seem to disregard making plays consistently. Most of the time, when he does make a play, it was a bailout pass after being closed off by the defense and not something he intended on creating with his impressive offensive ability.

His showing so far being a disappointment, is an understatement.

I am expecting a lot from him since he showed us some impressive stuff last year. I'd hope given his experience playing against nba caliber opponents last year, that he would be a step above every other young guy we have. That does not appear to be the case as of now.

Granted, it is preseason and there is more than enough time for him to improve. I just know that JC is much better than what he is showing now.

Clarkson game is predicated on explosiveness. when the switch isn't flipped, he's no super hero, he's the regular dude. Clearly his switch isn't flipped on right now - the explosiveness isn't there -- so to judge his game when he's not really right - isn't the smart thing to do.
I can really picture him flipping the switch game 1 and looking super explosive and effective out there
Purp&Gold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject:

He's been looking like a 46th pick out there. I just dont see the need for clarkson on this team anymore, Russell does everything better including defense.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Can't argue with this.

In addition, he's still adjusting to not having the free reign he enjoyed as a result of injuries last season plus, he is playing for a contract so that's an additional factor.
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

I see it's JC turn....
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

So many spur of the moment insanity posts...

It's called playing out of position right now. And Byron's practices.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I believe that outside of this game Clarkson has actually showed the poise expected from a 2nd year player, and BTW that 40ft 3 was an attempted 2 for 1...
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject:

ZenMaster4President wrote:
I see it's JC turn....

Yup, after him it'll be Roy......

Clarkson didn't play very well iMO, but it seems to be more his approach than anything. Nothing to rake him over the coals for and definitely nothing to panic about. He just needs to slow down. When he takes his time and utilizes his teammates better he's very effective. He's gonna have to learn to pick his spots offensively instead of trying to force things. When he gets that two man game going with Julius than can cause a lot of damage.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
So many spur of the moment insanity posts...

^^^^^THIS!!^^^^^^

ZOOM!!!!!
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

Clarkson is solid IMO, from what I see he tends to draw defenders' attention when he got the ball in his hands. He created some scoring opportunities that didn't came up as an assist. Believe me, it's just the defensive pressure on Clarkson because he's had impressive performances in the past. Dang we have 4 solid scoring options in the starting lineup and I bet the defense can't guard them all.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

The entire team has basically only been working together for a few weeks. Hopefully as they gel, as a team, they will come to understand their role and take responsibility in helping out on defense.
For these younger guys that have not faced NBA pressure it will take time (sometimes years) to adjust.

JC has to improve on defense but he is progressing at a steady pace and I like what I see so far.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 179 of 685
Jump to: