Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Speed, quickness, and the ability to shift directions to go with what appears to be very good stamina, consistent effort on defense, confidence, and a seemingly humble approach to improving his game (to say nothing of his willingness to wait his turn and not quit working) are all working to make Clarkson look like he's got a future in this league.

Not bad at all for a 2nd rounder.

Clarkson did say that he thought he was the best guard in his draft class. He was surprised that he wasn't taken in the first round. I'd say he he has a pretty good chance of proving that throughout his lakers career. I believe that he's going to look even better with randle and our first round picks from this upcoming draft.

So was I.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
dam
Towns or Okafur
with

Randle and CLarkson is a start... find two more role players in the draft

develop kelly black

still have kobe and young

add one solid free agent.. phoenix you can have that pick in 2016.. we wont need it

Heh. Yeah we will. Kobe and a bunch of 20-year olds, no matter how talented, it still a bad team. Why do you think it takes so long for rebuilding teams to make the playoffs? Inexperienced players need time to figure things out. Lots of time.

Maybe if that free agent is Marc Gasol, there's a fighting chance that we can compete for a playoff spot.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Sting wrote:
dam
Towns or Okafur
with

Randle and CLarkson is a start... find two more role players in the draft

develop kelly black

still have kobe and young

add one solid free agent.. phoenix you can have that pick in 2016.. we wont need it

Heh. Yeah we will. Kobe and a bunch of 20-year olds, no matter how talented, it still a bad team. Why do you think it takes so long for rebuilding teams to make the playoffs? Inexperienced players need time to figure things out. Lots of time.

Maybe if that free agent is Marc Gasol, there's a fighting chance that we can compete for a playoff spot.

We are a longshot at best to get Gasol.
At the age of 30 his clock is ticking.
He is desperately chasing an NBA championship & won't play on a team that is rebuilding.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Speed, quickness, and the ability to shift directions to go with what appears to be very good stamina, consistent effort on defense, confidence, and a seemingly humble approach to improving his game (to say nothing of his willingness to wait his turn and not quit working) are all working to make Clarkson look like he's got a future in this league.

Clarkson did say that he thought he was the best guard in his draft class. He was surprised that he wasn't taken in the first round. I'd say he he has a pretty good chance of proving that throughout his lakers career. I believe that he's going to look even better with randle and our first round picks from this upcoming draft.

So was I.

I'm curious to see what happens with grant. He's even older than Clarkson...who do you think will be the better pro?
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I really think that Jordan Clarkson is more of a 2 guard... unless you are in a triangle offense or princeton offense where the Pg does not have to play a major role in the offense.

IMO he can be an awesome scorer in this league... if he can be developed properly I see him as a 20 pts 3 assists player in years to come...
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject:

I think.. he makes Nick Young (as much as I love him.. and apparently Jordan is close with Nick as well) expendable next season.

The more comfortable he gets - the better he'll become obviously.

He went head to head with one of the top point guards in the NBA and didn't do half bad! That's saying something for a rookie. A second rounder at that.

I'm not sure he's the answer at starting point guard -- but he's certainly a potential rotation player.

You can't look at what he is right now and determine that's all he'll be. The tools he has NOW as a rookie is pretty darn good compared to point guards that are great now.. but took a few years to flourish.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject:

no one would take nick young and his 3 years/$15 million.. at least i don't think.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

In the next few years when the salary cap raises significantly.. 5 million per year is going to be a bargain for a very, very good rotation / 6th man candidate.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Nick Young is a solid bench player for us.

I'd say you'd look at moving Jordan Hill first before anything else. Young should be the 'last' on your list to move anywhere as you cannot count on Jordan to be the main scorer off your bench in his 2nd year primarily with no 2nd option.

If Clarkson is the best player on our bench next year we're in trouble.

I don't mind Clarkson playing backup 1 or 2 though, Young can always switch to the backup 3.

As I expect Ellington and Hill to be moved to contenders at some point and Wes will most likely not be back next year.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I don't know why so many people are talking about Nick Young.

Clarkon is starting for the forseeable future and Young will come of the bench for the next year at least... Half the time Young plays at SF anyways, so there will be no minutes problems between those two.

Clarkson is being developed as a large PG, no matter how many times you guys talk about him at SG, he's been playing PG a lot, and I think having him as a SG is a worst case scenario that he doesn't develop. Those no look passes are telling me he will.

12/3 as a starter after 3 games as a starter. Hopefully he gets to finish off the season as the starter because he's played well.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

So was I.

I've seen reports that Clarkson and his agent thought he would go in the middle of the first round. But all the analysis and mock drafts I saw tended to place him at near the bottom of the first round or in the second round.

I think people were surprised he fell as far as the 46th pick, but I think they would have been equally surprised if he had gone much higher than the 26th pick.

I think the concensus for him was probably at the top of the second round, around the 32-35th pick.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject:

swaggy can play 3 or 2.. Clarkson can play 1 or 2
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:

Clarkon is starting for the forseeable future and Young will come of the bench for the next year at least... Half the time Young plays at SF anyways, so there will be no minutes problems between those two.

Clarkson is being developed as a large PG, no matter how many times you guys talk about him at SG, he's been playing PG a lot, and I think having him as a SG is a worst case scenario that he doesn't develop. Those no look passes are telling me he will.

12/3 as a starter after 3 games as a starter. Hopefully he gets to finish off the season as the starter because he's played well.

+1
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:

+1
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:

+1
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject:

The Lakers see him as a PG, although I think he can play the Monta Ellis role at times. His defense has been really impressive for a rookie, held his own against John Wall.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
The Lakers see him as a PG, although I think he can play the Monta Ellis role at times. His defense has been really impressive for a rookie, held his own against John Wall.

he has a scorer's mentality, and he's got a shooting guard frame. i see him as an SG.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

he has a scorer's mentality, and he's got a shooting guard frame. i see him as an SG.

same with Russell Westbrook. But why move him from a position where he's having a lot of success? If Clarkson has some pretty good success at PG for the rest of the season, playing like he has and better ; don't expect him to move to SG. Maybe Clarkson is best against a PG defender, although he has the mentality of a SG. Btw he looks to set his teammates up a decent amount.
We have to let him get used to playing vs. NBA competition, I'm sure he's not able to do half of the things he wants to out there, just because he's raw and learning on the go -- I'm curious to see how he dictates the offense at the end of the season ; when he feels more comfortable and has more control, and isn't just reacting.
Right now, alot of times he doesn't know where to go with the ball;the offense does not flow well - so he just kind of gets stuck with having to create a shot for himself when it's stagnant. He's learning how to run an offense, a poor Byron Scott offense.. give him time.
pask
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject:

I believe the FO is working in two simultaneous directions, that´s building from draft (with those limited picks available) and at the same time keeping a core that could attract (or at least not refrain) some top free agents to join the team.

That said, the FO will try to get better draft picks with some players, but will not do a complete desintegration of this team.

Also, draft positions will dictate too who stays and who goes.

Another problem the FO it´s facing, it´s that some players lack a clear position. Polivalent players can help in an already buit team, but the actual state of the Lakers makes all the roster more "liquid", if that´s possible.

Add some overloading at the PF spot and you may have a clearer picture of the situation.

That said, my evaluation of the roster:

C: None (yes, I don´t count Sacre, who coul be traded or buried in the bench
PF/C: Jordan Hill is the more tradeable piece, but propably one of the most valuable players to keep in order to have a good roster next year.
Ed Davis, good player to keep around too.
Tariq Black, yes but third string C or PF.
PF: Julius Randle, can he man the PF?
(Boozer won´t be back, we´re are supposed to get younger)
PF/SF: Ryan Kelly, must finish the season in good form in order to be taken into account.
SF: Wesley Johnson, not too bad to have at the SF, better if you can have him off the bench
SF/SG: Nick Young, can´t he convert to SG?
SG: Wayne Ellington, not bad for the bench
(no, Kobe won´t be taken into consideration when the FO build a new team)
PG/SG: Jordan Clarkson, a keeper. His position will depend on whom we draft
PG: Ronnie Price, at best third PG
Jeremy Lin, I haven´t got a clear picture about him

The draft will dictate how the rest of the roster evolves.

With our first pick, if we can draft either Okafor or Towns, I think we´ll take any of them. That leaves the PG spot for Clarkson or for a FA (Dragic?). Add Randle and we have a nice skeleton for a future great team.

If not, I really like D´Angelo Russell, and in that case a backcourt with him and Clarkson can be very interesting and fun to watch. In that case we´ll try to bring some C via free agency (pipe Gasol, maybe Deandre Jordan)

Our second pick will depend in who´s the better player available, but if we draft a center with the first pick, we´ll look for a PG with the second, and viceversa.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

pask wrote:
I believe the FO is working in two simultaneous directions, that´s building from draft (with those limited picks available) and at the same time keeping a core that could attract (or at least not refrain) some top free agents to join the team.

That said, the FO will try to get better draft picks with some players, but will not do a complete desintegration of this team.

Also, draft positions will dictate too who stays and who goes.

Another problem the FO it´s facing, it´s that some players lack a clear position. Polivalent players can help in an already buit team, but the actual state of the Lakers makes all the roster more "liquid", if that´s possible.

Add some overloading at the PF spot and you may have a clearer picture of the situation.

PF/C: Jordan Hill is the more tradeable piece, but propably one of the most valuable players to keep in order to have a good roster next year.
PF/SF: Ryan Kelly, must finish the season in good form in order to be taken into account.
SF: Wesley Johnson, not too bad to have at the SF, better if you can have him off the bench
Jeremy Lin, I haven´t got a clear picture about him

The draft will dictate how the rest of the roster evolves.

With our first pick, if we can draft either Okafor or Towns, I think we´ll take any of them. That leaves the PG spot for Clarkson or for a FA (Dragic?). Add Randle and we have a nice skeleton for a future great team.

If not, I really like D´Angelo Russell, and in that case a backcourt with him and Clarkson can be very interesting and fun to watch. In that case we´ll try to bring some C via free agency (pipe Gasol, maybe Deandre Jordan)

Our second pick will depend in who´s the better player available, but if we draft a center with the first pick, we´ll look for a PG with the second, and viceversa.

Draft express has moved Russell up to the second pick. I agree with what you said about the draft dictating how the rest of the roster is built and which position Clarkson plays as well. I think he's eaually valuable at either position
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

So was I.

I'm curious to see what happens with grant. He's even older than Clarkson...who do you think will be the better pro?

I am not sure. Both are the types of players I like, active and willing to play all aspects of the game.
lifeless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject:

[quote="ch3cky0selff00"]

He went head to head with one of the top point guards in the NBA and didn't do half bad! That's saying something for a rookie. A second rounder at that.

you sound like coach scott there, o.o wall almost posted his first triple double of the season, was 1 reb away and clearly didnt bother goin for it late in the game. he shot 8-12 from the field, while clarkson needed 19 shots for 18 pts. none the less 18 pts from a rookie is good, but I wouldn't say he didn't do bad.. i think he got toyed with lol, he played almsot 40mins and only 3 assist, not really good for a pointguard, but still better than what the lakers have thats for sure.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Regarding Clarkson's assist numbers, who does he have to pass to that can make a basket without dribbling a bunch or isoing and nullifying the assist?

Sacre?
Wes Johnson
Jordan Hill
Ryan Kelly

Clarkson has shown he can make some nice difficult passes like the ones on the fast break to Boozer and Hill.

Kind of noticed Ellington does not pass much to Clarkson.

I also noticed how Jeremy Lin gives the ball to Clarkson to bring up court. That's gotta be kind of depressing for Lin who is supposed to be a Point Guard.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject:

pask wrote:

Jeremy Lin, I haven´t got a clear picture about him.

Sacre - I think Sacre will be around as a cheap third stringer.

Hill - run-of-the-mill starting center. I doubt we'll pick up his $9 million option, but we might resign him for less.

Randle - I think we need to take it easy on Randle, expectation wise. He's a young rookie. He probably won't start. And he'll have some struggles. I am less interested in what Randle looks like at the start of next season than at the end of it

Black will be around.

Davis -- it depends on the offers he gets. He'll likely go to the highest bidder, so we have to determine what he's worth. I don't expect the Lakers to get any kind of discount.

Kelly -- Eh ... when a near-7-footer with 3-point range goes in the second round, there's a reason.

Young - Eh ... decent player. Little overpaid. Not a difference maker.

Johnson - The epitome of whatever.

Ellington - Solid, cheap backup.

Price -- he's 31 and mediocre for a backup PG. I'd cut him.

Jordan - Cheap and has shown a flash or two. Let him compete for a spot. Not sold he has a role in the league, but can't see a reason to give Price time over him.

Lin - he's history. Don't see him coming back unless we throw him more money/time than anyone else, and we won't.
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Would you guys trade our top 5 pick for Westbrook? I want him sooner rather than later to play with Kobe
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 20 of 685
Jump to: