Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 369, 370, 371 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
7. wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
Reading this forum, Clarkson market value went from 14/year to 8/year.

Honestly, I am more in for 8/yr for 2 years.

I think he's in the 8-9m range. His lack of defense really hurt his value going into this summer. And he's turning 24 in a few months.

Even if he's in that range, he can't get it from anyone outside of LA (he can get the average via back loaded arenas deal, but not the 8 up front), so unless they choose to (and they have little reason to), he ain't getting it.

Well, Clarkson can get a big deal if he signs long term to any team.

Way I see it, we messed up this year. We should of traded him when he was performing well. Now, it's 2 options:

1. We get a great summer (FA wise) and JC leaves
2. Our summer sucks and we signed JC to a terrible contract.

That makes no sense. He can't leave if we don't want him to.

First option. Our summer is amazing and we get 2 big FAs. JC get's a big offer from another team and the FO let's him leave.

THE NBA is a perimeter league now and JC has a list of suitors that would overpay
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:

I think he's in the 8-9m range. His lack of defense really hurt his value going into this summer. And he's turning 24 in a few months.

Even if he's in that range, he can't get it from anyone outside of LA (he can get the average via back loaded arenas deal, but not the 8 up front), so unless they choose to (and they have little reason to), he ain't getting it.

*reads your breakdown again* *eyes super wide frustrated at my stupidity for still not understanding*

*accepts it as fact*

Kinda like Jeremy Lin's contract with Rockets, back loaded... $24mil/3 years --> year 1: $5mil, year 2: $5.25mil, year 3: $14mil

If J.Lin can get that kinda contract pre-cap space increase, I actually think there will be a team that will break the bank for young talent like clarkson
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:

7. wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
7. wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:

Way I see it, we messed up this year. We should of traded him when he was performing well. Now, it's 2 options:

First option. Our summer is amazing and we get 2 big FAs. JC get's a big offer from another team and the FO let's him leave.

THE NBA is a perimeter league now and JC has a list of suitors that would overpay

Are you missing the concept of the Arenas provision? "overpaying" means the Lakers will gladly take him for 2 years at the MLE.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
7. wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:

Are you missing the concept of the Arenas provision? "overpaying" means the Lakers will gladly take him for 2 years at the MLE.

can another team backload the contract ala Rocket's Lin contract and how much can they offer?
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
7. wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:

Not Long term deals.

Highly doubt a player like JC would take a short term deal over a more lucrative long term deal. This is a guy that is hungry to get paid.

If he signs the 2 year deal, fairplay to JC and the FO, but that is a rather unlikely scenario
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The Logo wrote:
bandiger wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
He singled him out because he has the athleticism and quickness to become a good defender. Also, him being the best player on the team he wants him to lead by example. We all know he needs to improve defensively but Byron shouldn't have said it publicly.

He talks about analytics but post all star break JC actually has the best defensive rating out of all of the starters. I know that's not saying much because everyone on the team is bad, but if he's going to call out the young players he should hold the vets accountable as well.

Randle and Hibbert had better defensive ratings, and Clarkson's was identical to Russell's.

In terms of our guards' opponent shooting % from distance:
J. Clarkson <5 ft: 63.9% (21.4 FGA) 5-9 ft:44.5% (5.3 FGA) 10-14 ft: 40.4% (4.6 FGA) 15-19 ft: 41.4% (8.0 FGA) 20-24 ft: 35% (11.7 FGA) 25-29 ft: 36% (6.0 FGA)

M. Huertas 60.2% (9.8 FGA) 38.1% (2.6 FGA) 45.9% (2.2 FGA) 38.5% (3.8 FGA) 36.5% (6.5 FGA) 29.2% (3.6 FGA)

L. Williams 63.9% (19.0 FGA) 39.1% (4.9 FGA) 43.7% (4.4 FGA) 39% (7.1 FGA) 37.5% (9.4 FGA) 34.5% (6.3 FGA)

D. Russell 62.9% (19.0 FGA) 43.2% (4.4 FGA) 39.2% (3.8 FGA) 43.1% (6.9 FGA) 37.2% (10.2 FGA) 32.4% (5.6 FGA)

So? There's a higher standard for him, he's 24 and more experienced. Two more years and he's pretty much at his peak.

In terms of our best defender, our guards deviate in terms of being a better defender from a particular distance. I think that the reason JC's defense is the lowest in the paint is because he gets lost on a lot of backdoors. He's better at using his speed to cut off guards and make them settle for mid range shots. But there are improvements that he can make obviously.

However it happens, he gives up the highest frequency and the highest shooting percentage from both close in and three.

True, when you also compare his defense to an elite defender like Leonard, paint percentages are almost 10% higher and a couple percentage points higher from deep.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Not Long term deals.

Highly doubt a player like JC would take a short term deal over a more lucrative long term deal. This is a guy that is hungry to get paid.

If he signs the 2 year deal, fairplay to JC and the FO, but that is a rather unlikely scenario

Please read Omar Little's breakdown of JC's options. The 2 year of MLE would be the cap on his first 2 years if the Lakers matched a 3 or 4 year deal from another team.

As he said, JC ain't leaving unless we want him to.
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Not Long term deals.

Please read Omar Little's breakdown of JC's options. The 2 year of MLE would be the cap on his first 2 years if the Lakers matched a 3 or 4 year deal from another team.

OVerpaying in the essence of a long term deal. Why would JC sign a 1 or 2 year deal? When there will be more lucrative long term options.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Not Long term deals.

OVerpaying in the essence of a long term deal. Why would JC sign a 1 or 2 year deal? When there will be more lucrative long term options.

Seriously, you need to read Omar Little's post. No one is saying 1-2 year deal. #ARENASPROVISION
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Not Long term deals.

Seriously, you need to read Omar Little's post. No one is saying 1-2 year deal. #ARENASPROVISION

I already know JC's contract details. Also, as I said we have 2 options.
We flunked out in the summer, therefore willing to pay JC X amount or we did well and JC will take his services elsewhere. How is paying 58/4 or 34/3 not overpaying for JC. YEs, his first two seasons, will be nothing to the Cap, but we aren't going to be relevant as well in terms of results. Also, with the cap rising and the crazy market, no one ever gets paid according to "mv."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Not Long term deals.

We flunked out in the summer, therefore willing to pay JC X amount or we did well and JC will take his services elsewhere. How is paying 58/4 or 34/3 not overpaying for JC. YEs, his first two seasons, will be nothing to the Cap, but we aren't going to be relevant as well in terms of results. Also, with the cap rising and the crazy market, no one ever gets paid according to "mv."

We're not letting an asset walk away for nothing. Much like Tobias Harris can sign him and trade him later.
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Not Long term deals.

We're not letting an asset walk away for nothing. Much like Tobias Harris can sign him and trade him later.

Why not? Playoff teams do that all the time.
You rather we overpay JC a 4 year deal and get screwed over in the years we are going to compete in year 3 and 4? He is an "asset" because he scores points on a bad team?

If we didn't have JC this season, do you really think our record would be worse?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
You rather we overpay JC a 4 year deal and get screwed over in the years we are going to compete in year 3 and 4? He is an "asset" because he scores points on a bad team?

If we didn't have JC this season, do you really think our record would be better?

You match it b/c by the time we hit years 3 and 4, Lakers will already be over the cap. If he's a disaster then (I doubt it) there may be an amnesty clause. At worst you stretch/waive him.

JC is an asset. Tobias Harris is an asset. They get re-signed and traded if things don't work out.
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

If we didn't have JC this season, do you really think our record would be better?

You match it b/c by the time we hit years 3 and 4, Lakers will already be over the cap. If he's a disaster then (I doubt it) there may be an amnesty clause. At worst you stretch/waive him.

JC is an asset. Tobias Harris is an asset. They get re-signed and traded if things don't work out.

And the team that resigned Harris didn't make the playoffs and let him go for nothing. Bad teams make bad decisions.

We should take a note on how the NFL teams do
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

And the team that resigned Harris didn't make the playoffs and let him go for nothing. Bad teams make bad decisions.

Sigh. What exactly is your point? That we're not re-signing JC and letting him walk for nothing?
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Sigh. What exactly is your point? That we're not re-signing JC and letting him walk for nothing?

Point is, if he gets a lucrative offer, we should let him walk.

Which is why I said we should of traded him this season to potentially get back assets...

we are the worst team in the west and with the bottom feeders all with significant injuries this season, next season will be a lot more difficult for us to get in the playoffs with them all back from injury.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:

7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Which is why I said we should of traded him this season to potentially get back assets...

we are the worst team in the west and with the bottom feeders all with significant injuries this season, next season will be a lot more difficult for us to get in the playoffs with them all back from injury.

And I disagree.

And if he's as bad as you paint him, he won't get a "lucrative offer." Chances are he will get modest ones that ensure he stays a Laker.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

You are somewhat vague about what a lucrative offer would be, but it will be something that the Lakers can accept (at least the early years).
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

That's exactly the mindset on investors that fail. They don't know when to take their losses and move forward to the next project.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

7. wrote:
That's exactly the mindset on investors that fail. They don't know when to take their losses and move forward to the next project.

Yes. Because running a basketball team is so much like running a hedge fund or venture capital.

Let's move forward to the next topic, no?
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:

Yes. Because running a basketball team is so much like running a hedge fund or venture capital.

It is.

You remind of restaurant owners that are in piles of debt that are hanging on because it is an "asset."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:

It is.

You remind of restaurant owners that are in piles of debt that are hanging on because it is an "asset."

Well, your logic is absolutely misguided.

You claim JC isn't worth it, yet fear that some team will give him a "lucrative offer." Which is it?
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:

It is.

You claim JC isn't worth it, yet fear that some team will give him a "lucrative offer." Which is it?

He isn't. But team overpay all the time in the league.

Brandon Knight got a 5/70m year contract and now the Suns are looking to trade him after a season. JC is not worth a lucrative deal, but could he get it? Yes

The east have a ton of teams that need guards with a ton of cap space. No doubt in my mind one of them will offer JC a big package this summer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:

It is.

Brandon Knight got a 5/70m year contract and now the Suns are looking to trade him after a season. JC is not worth a lucrative deal, but could he get it? Yes

The east have a ton of teams that need guards with a ton of cap space. No doubt in my mind one of them will offer JC a big package this summer.

The Suns traded the Lakers pick for him, so they clearly felt they needed to retain him.

So you think, that given your assessment that JC isn't a good player, that a team from the East will offer a "big package" this summer that the Lakers should walk away from?

You need to be more specific. And I think you can't have it both ways.
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
7. wrote:

It is.

The Suns traded the Lakers pick for him, so they clearly felt they needed to retain him.

So you think, that given your assessment that JC isn't a good player, that a team from the East will offer a "big package" this summer that the Lakers should walk away from?

You need to be more specific. And I think you can't have it both ways.

76ers.
Orlando
Hornets
Nets

Only takes one team.

I can imagine the 76ers since their team is madeup of d league perimeter players
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 369, 370, 371 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 370 of 685
Jump to: