Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
miamichico305 wrote:
The heck is going on in this forum.... JC top 15 WHAT.... he needs to practice defense for the first time in his life before people talk about top something.

you would have been laughed out of the room if you said Klay could be a top 15 player after his sophomore year. Nobody would have thought Draymond would be much more than a lifetime role player after his sophomore season...the season he started 12 games and scored a whopping 6.2 ppg.

Players that have the work ethic actually do improve, and Clarkson will decide how good he becomes.

Working hard is commendable. But every player has a ceiling. What that is for JC is up for debate.

I agree, but we are pathetically bad at identifying it. Tell me Steph Curry has a ceiling of being in the conversation of greatest shooter in the history of NBA...and I am on an island 3 or 4 years ago.

So what in Clarkson's abilities would prevent him from becoming as good as Klay in a few years? Is he not fast enough? Can he not jump high enough? Is he not smart enough? Cause everything else, in theory, a player can improve on, especially one that only has played in about 130 NBA games.

I don't think his bball IQ is anywhere near Klay's and he lacks vision, which is why it was a good idea to move him to SG. And of course the difference in defense is about as large as the Grand Canyon.

You are completely wrong, in my opinion, but we can to disagree.

He can't be wrong if the numbers, advanced stats, metrics, and eye test prove it. Lol

What stats do we prove iq? At what point of their career stats are we referring to? Besides that, stats are not as telling if you're leaning on that and if we are going off of eye test, then you must of been blind when klay 1st came into the league.

Sure, except Klay's 2nd season way way way better than Clarkson on offense and defense, and Klay was over 1 year younger. But carry on
Lol

JC is better than offensively than klay after klay's 2nd year and klay wasn't as good defensively then as he is now; though he has size over JC. And you still haven't told me about the stat to prove iq and this eye test you speak of during Kay's 1st and 2nd year.

Everything you said is false. All numbers favor Klay. Offense, defense, clutch stats, defensive ratings, offensive ratings. Just compare Klay's 2nd year to the year Clarkson just had, and Klay was way better. You should be banned for spreading false info. If you disagree, prove it . Compare both at age 23 and Klay is a superstar and Clarkson is a 6th man

So klay doesn't have size over JC? Dang. My mistake, I don't wanna be banned for spreading those lies. You're not even proving what you speak of lol I'm done with you,we can agree to disagree.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
miamichico305 wrote:
The heck is going on in this forum.... JC top 15 WHAT.... he needs to practice defense for the first time in his life before people talk about top something.

you would have been laughed out of the room if you said Klay could be a top 15 player after his sophomore year. Nobody would have thought Draymond would be much more than a lifetime role player after his sophomore season...the season he started 12 games and scored a whopping 6.2 ppg.

Players that have the work ethic actually do improve, and Clarkson will decide how good he becomes.

Working hard is commendable. But every player has a ceiling. What that is for JC is up for debate.

I agree, but we are pathetically bad at identifying it. Tell me Steph Curry has a ceiling of being in the conversation of greatest shooter in the history of NBA...and I am on an island 3 or 4 years ago.

So what in Clarkson's abilities would prevent him from becoming as good as Klay in a few years? Is he not fast enough? Can he not jump high enough? Is he not smart enough? Cause everything else, in theory, a player can improve on, especially one that only has played in about 130 NBA games.

I don't think his bball IQ is anywhere near Klay's and he lacks vision, which is why it was a good idea to move him to SG. And of course the difference in defense is about as large as the Grand Canyon.

He can't be wrong if the numbers, advanced stats, metrics, and eye test prove it. Lol

What stats do we prove iq? At what point of their career stats are we referring to? Besides that, stats are not as telling if you're leaning on that and if we are going off of eye test, then you must of been blind when klay 1st came into the league.

Sure, except Klay's 2nd season way way way better than Clarkson on offense and defense, and Klay was over 1 year younger. But carry on
Lol

JC is better than offensively than klay after klay's 2nd year and klay wasn't as good defensively then as he is now; though he has size over JC. And you still haven't told me about the stat to prove iq and this eye test you speak of during Kay's 1st and 2nd year.

Everything you said is false. All numbers favor Klay. Offense, defense, clutch stats, defensive ratings, offensive ratings. Just compare Klay's 2nd year to the year Clarkson just had, and Klay was way better. You should be banned for spreading false info. If you disagree, prove it . Compare both at age 23 and Klay is a superstar and Clarkson is a 6th man

So klay doesn't have size over JC? Dang. My mistake, I don't wanna be banned for spreading those lies. You're not even proving what you speak of lol I'm done with you,we can agree to disagree.

Too bad you can't back up your false claims
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
miamichico305 wrote:

Lol

Well, I would put up Klay's physical measurements vs JC's, but we can agree to disagree. Lol
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
miamichico305 wrote:

Lol

Well, I would put up Klay's physical measurements vs JC's, but we can agree to disagree. Lol

And then put up age and numbers
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote trees. Damnit.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote trees. Damnit.

+1
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject:

Monta... Westbrook... Klay

damn, JC progress quick

like this kid but he's still right around Jamal Crawford right now with youth and potential on his side
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject:

Clarkson plays nothing like Jamal Crawford. Lou Williams is more comparable to Crawford. People seem to forget that Clarkson avg 16 pts, 5 ast, and 4 rebs on 46% FG starting as a rookie PG. He needs to improve defensively, but offensively he's an all around player. Clarkson along with Russell were held back by Byron and the KFT. They will be significantly better playing for Walton.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject:

New BR Clarkson Interview. Lots of talk about what he's working on (and wanting to stay with the Lakers & play for Luke)

Quote:
But the 23-year-old (his birthday is June 7) claims he doesn’t talk to his agent about such things, then chuckles when asked if he expects the entire process to induce any anxiety. In his eyes, the only franchise he’s ever played for is like family.

“So, I want to be here in L.A.,” Clarkson said. “This is the place where I want to call home, so I’m just in the gym and working. That’s all I can control—myself getting better. If I end up somewhere else or I stay in L.A., that’s what I’d love to do.”

After two years of hopelessness and unwatchable basketball, he’s excited about Luke Walton becoming Los Angeles’ new head coach. Clarkson happily ran around his house, yelling, when D’Angelo Russell first broke the news with a text message, perhaps a sign of the franchise’s upward trajectory.

Quote:
The gym is Clarkson’s sanctuary. Each day he wakes up and drives to the Lakers practice facility for a morning lift before running through a series of on-court drills to improve his shot, ball-handling, on-ball defense, balance, footwork and composure.

The one I observe right before our lunch is particularly grueling. For about 45 minutes, he alternates between pull-up and catch-and-shoot jumpers with Lakers coaches Thomas Scott and J.J. Outlaw smashing a large purple exercise ball off Clarkson's frame to simulate screens and defensive pressure.

“What I’ve been focused on recently is a lot of shots off the dribble, coming off screens. Mostly just boosting my three-point percentage,” he explained afterward. “There’s times where, in the game, I have to shoot those kind of shots, and I just want to be able to make them.”

Quote:
The San Antonio native hopes to develop a more formidable offensive repertoire, one that elevates his efficiency from more spots on the floor. Heading into his third season, and first under a new, presumably hefty contract, Clarkson understands how critical it is for him to hone a more consistent outside shot, along with better touch around the basket.

“The goal for me is to raise my three-point percentage and just become more effective on the offensive end in terms of taking good shots. I know sometimes I rush into shots. And then finishing at the rim and trying to get to the free-throw line,” he said.

Quote:
Even on mornings when he lifts and gets his shots up, nights are spent with his trainer, Drew Hanlen, going through specific drills designed to improve his finishing at the rim, playmaking ability and, again, the three-point shot.

"He got better last year, but we want to see him get above 40 percent from three this year," Hanlen said. "We don’t think he got enough assists. We thought he was sped up at times, and we thought he was out of control at other times. So just being able to play at a controlled pace, make better decisions, make more plays and create for himself and others."

Despite being relatively old for an NBA player heading into his third season, Clarkson's manic work ethic and late introduction to the game makes improvement a virtual guarantee.

"He's a gym rat. That's one of the things I love about him," said Hanlen, who's worked with Clarkson since he transferred from the University of Tulsa to the University of Missouri.

"There’s a story: Two years ago, his rookie season, where I was working him out...he started for the Lakers and had a nine-point game or a 10-point game, and then the next night we went in the gym and we were working out. After his practice, and the D-League team had a game that night, and they asked, 'Do you want to play?' just to get some extra reps. And so he played in that game, and then the next day we got another workout in before his Lakers game, and he went out and started for the Lakers again.

"Most guys wouldn’t play in that D-League game, sandwiched in between two starts for the Lakers, but he’s a guy that, really, he started playing basketball late. A lot of people don’t know that, but he didn’t even play as a freshman. He just kind of played for fun. He didn’t start taking it serious until he was in high school. So he’s still learning all the nuances of the game, and it’s something he loves doing. He lives in the gym now."

Clarkson also obsesses over film and studies current NBA stars such as Stephen Curry, James Harden, Russell Westbrook and Paul George.

“You pick up some of their moves,” Clarkson said. “A lot of it’s footwork stuff. You know, small moves, like Steph dribbling to his side and then crossing back over and creating space, then being able to get to his shot.”

Quote:
Elsewhere, defense is a concern. Clarkson struggles to stay in front of his man and tends to slide below ball screens when the matchup calls for him to go over. Away from the action, he's often out of position and slow on help rotations. But he's long, quick and has the physical makeup to become a pest if he wants to be.

Those flaws make pairing him beside D'Angelo Russell (another guard who’s most comfortable with the ball in his hands and subpar defensively) for the foreseeable future feel like a questionable call. But Clarkson doesn’t see it that way.

“We’re both 6’5”, long and able to put the ball on the ground. Score as well as pass. So we kind of want to make our own lane,” he said. “When it comes to defense, there’s a lot of team stuff that has to go on. Steph [Curry] is not the greatest defender in the world. But if we find the right pieces to put together with us, I think it will help us a lot. At the same time, I feel like we can grow in that area, for sure.”

If it’s the eventual solution to a problem that may never even bubble up in Walton’s egalitarian offense, Clarkson has no problem coming off the bench so long as his minutes don’t dwindle.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject:

Nice article.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

Very nice article. He works hard and he's all about team.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Clarkson plays nothing like Jamal Crawford. Lou Williams is more comparable to Crawford. People seem to forget that Clarkson avg 16 pts, 5 ast, and 4 rebs on 46% FG starting as a rookie PG. He needs to improve defensively, but offensively he's an all around player. Clarkson along with Russell were held back by Byron and the KFT. They will be significantly better playing for Walton.

We get it Dave, Clarkson was good when the team stunk and he got carte blanche to do whatever he wanted. Then, whenever he as asked to play within a "system" with other quality players, we saw what he really was. And that was a guard who could light it up from outside, drive if there was no chance of contact, and lacking vision, IQ and defense. All in all, a solid rotation player that we stole in the 2nd round. Great move by the FO, I hope JC is here for a long time. He is nowhere near a star player, but he is someone that a winning team needs on their roster.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

So much for the "his ego is too big to come off the bench" argument.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Exactly. The kid is a hard worker and we are lucky to have him. I know that wasn't an all encompassing interview, but it bothers that he is talking about defense but not doing anything else about it.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The gym is Clarkson’s sanctuary. Each day he wakes up and drives to the Lakers practice facility for a morning lift before running through a series of on-court drills to improve his shot, ball-handling, on-ball defense, balance, footwork and composure.

Biggest thing
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Yeah, the interview was refreshing. He's a good player with a good team-oriented attitude, and wants to be in LA. That's a guy you want on a hopefully up-and-coming team.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Exactly. The kid is a hard worker and we are lucky to have him. I know that wasn't an all encompassing interview, but it bothers that he is talking about defense but not doing anything else about it.

Hopefully, he is working on the D, and it just wasn't brought up.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Hopefully, he is working on the D, and it just wasn't brought up.

That is definitely a possibility.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

Sounds like he thinks the solution to the Lakers being bad defensively with him and Russell at the guards is to have 3 other guys out there covering for them. That mind set needs to change. He referenced curry as if curry isn't world's better defensively and we won't even talk about offense.

Also him being 6'5 is a common topic but what does it really matter when he plays small. On both ends of the floor he plays small.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

Great article

"Those flaws make pairing him beside D'Angelo Russell (another guard who’s most comfortable with the ball in his hands and subpar defensively) for the foreseeable future feel like a questionable call."

JC: “When it comes to defense, there’s a lot of team stuff that has to go on."

I agree with both.

Any resemblance of team defense will help, but he has to work a lot on some basic defensive principles.

"A lot of people don’t know that, but he didn’t even play as a freshman. He just kind of played for fun. He didn’t start taking it serious until he was in high school. So he’s still learning all the nuances of the game, and it’s something he loves doing. He lives in the gym now."
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject:

Hopefully he's reviewing tape of defensively sound guards, as well as the offensive studs in the league.

Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject:

Love this,

Quote:
"He got better last year, but we want to see him get above 40 percent from three this year," Hanlen said. "We don’t think he got enough assists. We thought he was sped up at times, and we thought he was out of control at other times. So just being able to play at a controlled pace, make better decisions, make more plays and create for himself and others."

And this....the full quote. Not just a snippet picked out...

Quote:
Elsewhere, defense is a concern. Clarkson struggles to stay in front of his man and tends to slide below ball screens when the matchup calls for him to go over. Away from the action, he's often out of position and slow on help rotations. But he's long, quick and has the physical makeup to become a pest if he wants to be.

Those flaws make pairing him beside D'Angelo Russell (another guard who’s most comfortable with the ball in his hands and subpar defensively) for the foreseeable future feel like a questionable call. But Clarkson doesn’t see it that way.

“We’re both 6’5”, long and able to put the ball on the ground. Score as well as pass. So we kind of want to make our own lane,” he said. “When it comes to defense, there’s a lot of team stuff that has to go on. Steph [Curry] is not the greatest defender in the world. But if we find the right pieces to put together with us, I think it will help us a lot. At the same time, I feel like we can grow in that area, for sure.”

Great article.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Tue May 31, 2016 10:31 am; edited 4 times in total
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Love this,

Quote:

This was a good insight. He often neglected the weakside pass because of his pace. On one hand it's good because he attacks so strongly, but there's room for improvement in terms of seeing more of the floor.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Love this,

Quote:

Better get the heck out of here Hanlen before Outspoken says you are wrong.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 386 of 685
Jump to: