Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 386, 387, 388 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

According to that article JC willing to come off the bench for the betterment of the team. Wow. Lots of maturity there. The SG spot is his unless we get a better player. This is a self made man who I hope will be here for a long time.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
According to that article JC willing to come off the bench for the betterment of the team. Wow. Lots of maturity there. The SG spot is his unless we get a better player. This is a self made man who I hope will be here for a long time.

amen
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yes, maturity and the humility to keep working on his game AND consider what's best for the team.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Ellis is Clarksons floor I think he's already where Monta was when he was avg around 18ppg.

No way Manta Ellis is Clarkson's floor. Ellis was a scoring machine when he was in Warriors. He was once average 25ppg.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

JC representing the hard work and unselfishness of the Asian population
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

My kids are Blasian so he is a nice representation of our community!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Yinoma = Tiger Woods's dad Confirmed!!!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

But their Pops wants them in the starting 5.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
New BR Clarkson Interview. Lots of talk about what he's working on (and wanting to stay with the Lakers & play for Luke)

Quote:

After two years of hopelessness and unwatchable basketball, he’s excited about Luke Walton becoming Los Angeles’ new head coach. Clarkson happily ran around his house, yelling, when D’Angelo Russell first broke the news with a text message, perhaps a sign of the franchise’s upward trajectory.

We all did JC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Sounds good, but realistically how would his minutes not dwindle somewhat coming off the bench? 32 is a lot to expect as a bench player.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"He got better last year, but we want to see him get above 40 percent from three this year," Hanlen said.
If he can do this, he will be a rock solid starting SG in Luke's offense.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Quote:
"He got better last year, but we want to see him get above 40 percent from three this year," Hanlen said.

I'd rather have him play average NBA defense (and shoot 35% from 3) than shoot 40% from 3 and continue his sub par defense.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Ellis is Clarksons floor I think he's already where Monta was when he was avg around 18ppg.

No way Manta Ellis is Clarkson's floor. Ellis was a scoring machine when he was in Warriors. He was once average 25ppg.

I think people forgot how good Ellis was. He was better than Curry at one point.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

I can just imagine DLo and JC running around their houses screaming at the top of their lungs, "We got Luke, we got Luke!!!"

This now infamous meme may not have been too far off...

https://twitter.com/NBA_Skits/status/726241998542360576
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

If Ingram can play the two reasonably well next season, I can see Clarkson willing to come off the bench.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dao wrote:
Quote:

I'd rather have him play average NBA defense (and shoot 35% from 3) than shoot 40% from 3 and continue his sub par defense.
His defense will improve with a decent system installed and with proper coaching. The three point stroke though is key. If he can become a lethal sniper then he's a great fit next to Russell. If not, he's probably best off the bench long-term. He was better at PG his rookie year, where he had the ball in his hands a lot. He's got to become a big threat off ball to fit next to Russell given his less than ideal defense.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dao wrote:
Quote:

His defense will improve with a decent system installed and with proper coaching. The three point stroke though is key. If he can become a lethal sniper then he's a great fit next to Russell. If not, he's probably best off the bench long-term. He was better at PG his rookie year, where he had the ball in his hands a lot. He's got to become a big threat off ball to fit next to Russell given his less than ideal defense.

I'm hoping next season guys are moving off the ball like crazy. Russell was really the only one who did it consistently. I want to see Clarkson utilizing multiple screens the way Klay does not only to get open shots but to get the opposing defense moving. Last year we were the kings of standing around while someone else had the ball. That is terrible basketball and a major reason we didn't get a lot of good looks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dao wrote:
Quote:

Klay's shooting is amazing but so too is his defensive abilities. Gaining a few points 3 point % wise is less important IMO than being an average NBA defender.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Jordan Clarkson Is Ready for the Biggest Offseason of His Life

Quote:
The most consistent player on a Los Angeles Lakers team that’s won 38 games since he was drafted, Clarkson is about to enter the busiest, most pivotal and financially significant summer of his life. On May 26, Nike ships him to Manila, Philippines. Then it’s off to Beijing on behalf of NBA Cares until the first week of June.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2643174-jordan-clarkson-is-ready-for-the-biggest-offseason-of-his-life
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Sounds good, but realistically how would his minutes not dwindle somewhat coming off the bench? 32 is a lot to expect as a bench player.

he's probably going to get minutes at both 1 and 2 in staggered lineups, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to see 20 minutes at the 2 and 12 at the 1.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
New BR Clarkson Interview. Lots of talk about what he's working on (and wanting to stay with the Lakers & play for Luke)

Quote:
But the 23-year-old (his birthday is June 7) claims he doesn’t talk to his agent about such things, then chuckles when asked if he expects the entire process to induce any anxiety. In his eyes, the only franchise he’s ever played for is like family.

“So, I want to be here in L.A.,” Clarkson said. “This is the place where I want to call home, so I’m just in the gym and working. That’s all I can control—myself getting better. If I end up somewhere else or I stay in L.A., that’s what I’d love to do.”

After two years of hopelessness and unwatchable basketball, he’s excited about Luke Walton becoming Los Angeles’ new head coach. Clarkson happily ran around his house, yelling, when D’Angelo Russell first broke the news with a text message, perhaps a sign of the franchise’s upward trajectory.

Quote:
The gym is Clarkson’s sanctuary. Each day he wakes up and drives to the Lakers practice facility for a morning lift before running through a series of on-court drills to improve his shot, ball-handling, on-ball defense, balance, footwork and composure.

The one I observe right before our lunch is particularly grueling. For about 45 minutes, he alternates between pull-up and catch-and-shoot jumpers with Lakers coaches Thomas Scott and J.J. Outlaw smashing a large purple exercise ball off Clarkson's frame to simulate screens and defensive pressure.

“What I’ve been focused on recently is a lot of shots off the dribble, coming off screens. Mostly just boosting my three-point percentage,” he explained afterward. “There’s times where, in the game, I have to shoot those kind of shots, and I just want to be able to make them.”

Quote:
The San Antonio native hopes to develop a more formidable offensive repertoire, one that elevates his efficiency from more spots on the floor. Heading into his third season, and first under a new, presumably hefty contract, Clarkson understands how critical it is for him to hone a more consistent outside shot, along with better touch around the basket.

“The goal for me is to raise my three-point percentage and just become more effective on the offensive end in terms of taking good shots. I know sometimes I rush into shots. And then finishing at the rim and trying to get to the free-throw line,” he said.

Quote:
Even on mornings when he lifts and gets his shots up, nights are spent with his trainer, Drew Hanlen, going through specific drills designed to improve his finishing at the rim, playmaking ability and, again, the three-point shot.

"He got better last year, but we want to see him get above 40 percent from three this year," Hanlen said. "We don’t think he got enough assists. We thought he was sped up at times, and we thought he was out of control at other times. So just being able to play at a controlled pace, make better decisions, make more plays and create for himself and others."

Despite being relatively old for an NBA player heading into his third season, Clarkson's manic work ethic and late introduction to the game makes improvement a virtual guarantee.

"He's a gym rat. That's one of the things I love about him," said Hanlen, who's worked with Clarkson since he transferred from the University of Tulsa to the University of Missouri.

"There’s a story: Two years ago, his rookie season, where I was working him out...he started for the Lakers and had a nine-point game or a 10-point game, and then the next night we went in the gym and we were working out. After his practice, and the D-League team had a game that night, and they asked, 'Do you want to play?' just to get some extra reps. And so he played in that game, and then the next day we got another workout in before his Lakers game, and he went out and started for the Lakers again.

"Most guys wouldn’t play in that D-League game, sandwiched in between two starts for the Lakers, but he’s a guy that, really, he started playing basketball late. A lot of people don’t know that, but he didn’t even play as a freshman. He just kind of played for fun. He didn’t start taking it serious until he was in high school. So he’s still learning all the nuances of the game, and it’s something he loves doing. He lives in the gym now."

Clarkson also obsesses over film and studies current NBA stars such as Stephen Curry, James Harden, Russell Westbrook and Paul George.

“You pick up some of their moves,” Clarkson said. “A lot of it’s footwork stuff. You know, small moves, like Steph dribbling to his side and then crossing back over and creating space, then being able to get to his shot.”

Quote:
Elsewhere, defense is a concern. Clarkson struggles to stay in front of his man and tends to slide below ball screens when the matchup calls for him to go over. Away from the action, he's often out of position and slow on help rotations. But he's long, quick and has the physical makeup to become a pest if he wants to be.

Those flaws make pairing him beside D'Angelo Russell (another guard who’s most comfortable with the ball in his hands and subpar defensively) for the foreseeable future feel like a questionable call. But Clarkson doesn’t see it that way.

“We’re both 6’5”, long and able to put the ball on the ground. Score as well as pass. So we kind of want to make our own lane,” he said. “When it comes to defense, there’s a lot of team stuff that has to go on. Steph [Curry] is not the greatest defender in the world. But if we find the right pieces to put together with us, I think it will help us a lot. At the same time, I feel like we can grow in that area, for sure.”

If it’s the eventual solution to a problem that may never even bubble up in Walton’s egalitarian offense, Clarkson has no problem coming off the bench so long as his minutes don’t dwindle.

Great article, love this guy. He'll get better no doubt, what a steal

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
cmonkee wrote:

Quote:
But the 23-year-old (his birthday is June 7) claims he doesn’t talk to his agent about such things, then chuckles when asked if he expects the entire process to induce any anxiety. In his eyes, the only franchise he’s ever played for is like family.

“So, I want to be here in L.A.,” Clarkson said. “This is the place where I want to call home, so I’m just in the gym and working. That’s all I can control—myself getting better. If I end up somewhere else or I stay in L.A., that’s what I’d love to do.”

Quote:
The gym is Clarkson’s sanctuary. Each day he wakes up and drives to the Lakers practice facility for a morning lift before running through a series of on-court drills to improve his shot, ball-handling, on-ball defense, balance, footwork and composure.

The one I observe right before our lunch is particularly grueling. For about 45 minutes, he alternates between pull-up and catch-and-shoot jumpers with Lakers coaches Thomas Scott and J.J. Outlaw smashing a large purple exercise ball off Clarkson's frame to simulate screens and defensive pressure.

“What I’ve been focused on recently is a lot of shots off the dribble, coming off screens. Mostly just boosting my three-point percentage,” he explained afterward. “There’s times where, in the game, I have to shoot those kind of shots, and I just want to be able to make them.”

Quote:
The San Antonio native hopes to develop a more formidable offensive repertoire, one that elevates his efficiency from more spots on the floor. Heading into his third season, and first under a new, presumably hefty contract, Clarkson understands how critical it is for him to hone a more consistent outside shot, along with better touch around the basket.

“The goal for me is to raise my three-point percentage and just become more effective on the offensive end in terms of taking good shots. I know sometimes I rush into shots. And then finishing at the rim and trying to get to the free-throw line,” he said.

Quote:
Even on mornings when he lifts and gets his shots up, nights are spent with his trainer, Drew Hanlen, going through specific drills designed to improve his finishing at the rim, playmaking ability and, again, the three-point shot.

"He got better last year, but we want to see him get above 40 percent from three this year," Hanlen said. "We don’t think he got enough assists. We thought he was sped up at times, and we thought he was out of control at other times. So just being able to play at a controlled pace, make better decisions, make more plays and create for himself and others."

Despite being relatively old for an NBA player heading into his third season, Clarkson's manic work ethic and late introduction to the game makes improvement a virtual guarantee.

"He's a gym rat. That's one of the things I love about him," said Hanlen, who's worked with Clarkson since he transferred from the University of Tulsa to the University of Missouri.

"There’s a story: Two years ago, his rookie season, where I was working him out...he started for the Lakers and had a nine-point game or a 10-point game, and then the next night we went in the gym and we were working out. After his practice, and the D-League team had a game that night, and they asked, 'Do you want to play?' just to get some extra reps. And so he played in that game, and then the next day we got another workout in before his Lakers game, and he went out and started for the Lakers again.

"Most guys wouldn’t play in that D-League game, sandwiched in between two starts for the Lakers, but he’s a guy that, really, he started playing basketball late. A lot of people don’t know that, but he didn’t even play as a freshman. He just kind of played for fun. He didn’t start taking it serious until he was in high school. So he’s still learning all the nuances of the game, and it’s something he loves doing. He lives in the gym now."

Clarkson also obsesses over film and studies current NBA stars such as Stephen Curry, James Harden, Russell Westbrook and Paul George.

“You pick up some of their moves,” Clarkson said. “A lot of it’s footwork stuff. You know, small moves, like Steph dribbling to his side and then crossing back over and creating space, then being able to get to his shot.”

Quote:
Elsewhere, defense is a concern. Clarkson struggles to stay in front of his man and tends to slide below ball screens when the matchup calls for him to go over. Away from the action, he's often out of position and slow on help rotations. But he's long, quick and has the physical makeup to become a pest if he wants to be.

Those flaws make pairing him beside D'Angelo Russell (another guard who’s most comfortable with the ball in his hands and subpar defensively) for the foreseeable future feel like a questionable call. But Clarkson doesn’t see it that way.

“We’re both 6’5”, long and able to put the ball on the ground. Score as well as pass. So we kind of want to make our own lane,” he said. “When it comes to defense, there’s a lot of team stuff that has to go on. Steph [Curry] is not the greatest defender in the world. But if we find the right pieces to put together with us, I think it will help us a lot. At the same time, I feel like we can grow in that area, for sure.”

If it’s the eventual solution to a problem that may never even bubble up in Walton’s egalitarian offense, Clarkson has no problem coming off the bench so long as his minutes don’t dwindle.

Great article, love this guy. He'll get better no doubt, what a steal
Mitch knows how to draft.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
cmonkee wrote:

Quote:

We all did JC

Celebrated for being rid of that cancer coach and now going with a coach that actually connect with the players.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject:

How about Russell finding out first and breaking the news to him?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
How about Russell finding out first and breaking the news to him?
Not surprising they were celebrating. Doing their money dance.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 386, 387, 388 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 387 of 685
Jump to: