Business Insider magazine calling the Chris Paul veto a disaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Stern wanted to make the team easier to sell. Taking on a bunch of salary just to be a little better than mediocre wasn't going to do that. They sucked so badly they got Anthony Davis, which makes up for anything else.

Winning the lottery was also a fix job.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
I believe Odom was also headed to the Hornets as well. I'll have to look that up.

Correct.

I don't know why this writer feels the need to rehash this topic right now. Like it or not, things have worked out pretty well for the Pelicans.

I believe that the going theory by most fans, writers, or Laker haters in general was that the Clippers deal was "by far a better package than the garbage the Lakers had offered". It's relevant now because it's the reason the Lakers have Kobe Bryant and castoffs and not Paul, Kobe, and Howard. There is a reason we have this roster, and it isn't because of years and years of incompetence like most would like to believe.

The Clippers deal was definitely worse, but at least they were able to tank and get Anthony Davis.

Martin is a one-dimensional chucker. Scola was okay. Odom was/is a crackhead. Dragic is pretty good.

Anthony Davis is better than all of them combined.

Yes he is better. But his being there is luck..not gm skill or anything they were guaranteed..right?
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
I believe Odom was also headed to the Hornets as well. I'll have to look that up.

Correct.

I don't know why this writer feels the need to rehash this topic right now. Like it or not, things have worked out pretty well for the Pelicans.

Only thing that worked out well for them was winning the lottery and getting Anthony Davis....which actually had no direct relation to the trade itself. You can argue that the Laker trade might have made the Hornets too good to win the lottery, but I would argue that it would have happened anyway because Stern is a corrupt cheating mutha.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

The Lakers had a chance to get Dragic, Scola and Martin and a first round pick for Gasol and did not. Also Stern gave the Lakers a chance to sweeten the Chris deal by adding a first round pick to the Paul deal, instead they elected to give 4 draft picks for Rambler.

The Lakers got nothing for Gasol and Dwight, sure Stern is a horses behind, but that does not excuse Lakers management for other very good trades that they ignored because they would have had to take back salary, all of the players mentioned have been traded because they were players that were able to fill needs on teams because all the players mentioned were good NBA players.

To dwell on the Paul trade is a mistake by Lakers fans, Lakers management has had plenty of opportunity to get good talent including Dragic for a Gasol who was not giving the Lakers his heart and soul.
alohalakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

Don't forget that either the Pellicans or the Lakers could have flipped Kevin Martin and the pick for James Harden too, which is what Houston did.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

The veto itself didn't kill the Lakers as much as the aftermath/fallout from it did. I actually think the trade wasn't all that great. You're not supposed to trade big for small, and someone asked how well CP3 would have worked with Kobe.

Jettisoning Lamar for a trade exception that ironically became Nash essentially did a bulk of the damage. The veto also did serious damage to the trade value of Pau as the Lakers got joke offers for him for the rest of his tenure on the team. Hiring terrible coaches, injuries and free agent defections did the rest.

Remember after we got swept by Dallas, Magic demanded blowing the team up? Well, it happened, it just took 2-3 seasons.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:

CP3 and Kobe would've worked. Chris Paul likes to pass the ball and can take over when needed, Kobe likes to shoot the ball and takes over when needed. They both need each other to be honest. Dwight would have been the finisher, veterans ring chasing would've signed with the Lakers for less. Kobe would have signed for less to keep competing I believe, but you never know Kobe seems to be obsessed with being the highest paid athlete in the NBA so I could be wrong about him signing for less.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Stern wanted to make the team easier to sell. Taking on a bunch of salary just to be a little better than mediocre wasn't going to do that. They sucked so badly they got Anthony Davis, which makes up for anything else.

I am not a believer in "fix" jobs, but I am a believer that Stern will do anything to rule, the Stern refs were the perfect example, no doubt IMO Stern was a creep. Adam Silver seems to be the Anti Stern, however it remains to be seen. I do not trust management, they will do anything to cover up for their superiors.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

I am not a believer in "fix" jobs, but I am a believer that Stern will do anything to rule, the Stern refs were the perfect example, no doubt IMO Stern was a creep. Adam Silver seems to be the Anti Stern, however it remains to be seen. I do not trust management, they will do anything to cover up for their superiors.

Silver was Stern's right hand man for years and his hand picked successor. Don't be fooled by packaging.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
I believe that the going theory by most fans, writers, or Laker haters in general was that the Clippers deal was "by far a better package than the garbage the Lakers had offered". It's relevant now because it's the reason the Lakers have Kobe Bryant and castoffs and not Paul, Kobe, and Howard. There is a reason we have this roster, and it isn't because of years and years of incompetence like most would like to believe.

Oh, I understand why a lot of Laker fans are still upset. To be honest, I suspect that this is misplaced anger, because I don't think that Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant would have meshed very well. Was Chris Paul going to become an effective off-the-ball shooter? Or was Kobe going to turn the ball over to a PG for the first time in his life? Probably neither. The Chris Paul trade probably would have been a bust for us, but we'll never actually know. A lot of people see a glorious Kobe-Paul partnership in the theatre of their minds.

But my question wasn't about Laker fans, and neither was the article. The article talked about what would have been better for the Pelicans. Frankly, the Lakers deal wasn't that great for the Pelicans. Odom, Scola, and Martin were overpaid, aging spare parts. Dragic became good a few years later, but even now he isn't a superstar. Gordon had more long term star potential than any of those guys. I suppose that in hindsight Dragic is worth more than Gordon, but the Pelicans weren't trading Chris Paul for Dragic.

At the time, I questioned the decision because the Lakers deal would have given the Pelicans the chance to be at least competitive for a couple years. In hindsight, knowing how badly Odom fell apart and how quickly Scola declined, I would have to say that David Stern got it right for the Pelicans.

I agree with this, Paul and Kobe would have never co-existed well in the back court. Though I will say this, Kobe would have finally played with a pg who wouldn't have just given him the ball every time down the floor. Paul is strong minded, and would have ran the offense with the ball in his hands most of the time. Kobe would still get the ball more than others, but he would have had to deal with playing off the ball a lot more. There is no doubt in my mind that they would have bumped heads, but Kobe would have had to deal with Paul distributing the ball.
Paul and kobe would've found a way to co-exist . The reason being Cp3 has yet to win anything being a little ball dominant PG. i keep saying this. small ball dominant pg's dont win rings. I.thomas was more of an anomaly. Once CP3 looks at 5 rings on kobe's fingers and the fact that he played for the greatest coach of all time. He might just listen.

THe small ball dominant pg thing doesnt work because defenses(especially nowadays) are to complex. They can make sure you dont get everyone involved therefore stunting your chances of winning the game. It's to easy to stop a ball pounding pg thats looking to pass first.

Tparker is not a pounder ball dominant pg looking to pass first. Tparker is a SG in a pg's body but by the way he can pass too. Those 2 threats together is the reason the spurs have won so much. Same thing with Gino. he will pass it but he's a threat to score on you every single time. you cant just back off, or play the passing lanes. gino will go off.

This is the same thing with kobe. This i why playing with kobe as a nash or cp3. or even Lin. you will need to turn down your pass first mentality a bit and turn up your scoring threat mentality. You no longer need 10 dimes per. Kobe has 5, you get 5. thats 10. but you will also have 18 to 24 pts, vs your 12 to 18 points.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

BleedP&G wrote:
It amazes me that it takes Business Insider to actually make this point in print. ESPN is willing to dedicate space and resources to a hatchet piece on Kobe with no legit sources and really nothing new of consequence. Yet they cannot take the time to investigate " one of the strangest, most controversial decisions in recent league history." Everyone in sports media loves to talk about the troubles with the Busses or Kobe, but no one is willing to tackle what would be a huge investigative piece in any other industry.
excellent post.
bevwenz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
The Lakers had a chance to get Dragic, Scola and Martin and a first round pick for Gasol and did not. Also Stern gave the Lakers a chance to sweeten the Chris deal by adding a first round pick to the Paul deal, instead they elected to give 4 draft picks for Rambler.

The Lakers got nothing for Gasol and Dwight, sure Stern is a horses behind, but that does not excuse Lakers management for other very good trades that they ignored because they would have had to take back salary, all of the players mentioned have been traded because they were players that were able to fill needs on teams because all the players mentioned were good NBA players.

To dwell on the Paul trade is a mistake by Lakers fans, Lakers management has had plenty of opportunity to get good talent including Dragic for a Gasol who was not giving the Lakers his heart and soul.

Very well said. Not at all defending the actions of Stern (amongst other things, what he allowed NBA officiating to become was and is a disgrace in terms of purity of the game) but after the initial veto, it was Kupchak and the Lakers who then CHOSE to be stubborn, inflexible and fail to even put up a fight against what occurred...pride goeth before the fall.

Last edited by bevwenz on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Voices wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Silver was Stern's right hand man for years and his hand picked successor. Don't be fooled by packaging.

I believe Adam is to be carefully observed for the reasons you have stated and I have stated. Trust, unfortunately in society today is hard to define, trusting anyone in society today is a gamble not worth taking. IMO individuals today are only concerned about themselves and will do just about anything to get ahead including compromising their values.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

Yeah, people forget that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject:

bevwenz wrote:
Voices wrote:

Very well said. Not at all defending the actions of Stern (amongst other things, what he allowed NBA officiating to become was and is a disgrace in terms of purity of the game) but after the initial veto, it was Kupchak and the Lakers who then CHOSE to be stubborn, inflexible and fail to even put up a fight against what occurred...pride goeth before the fall.

And what fight could they have put up? Nothing.
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

[quote="24"]
Voices wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

"Nothing personal, just business". "The only reason I lasted so long is, I always made money for my friends".
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:

bevwenz wrote:
Voices wrote:

The Lakers failed to move on and take advantage of the obvious interest in Gasol who had used up his energy to further produce for the Lakers. Change is not always bad, sometimes both sides get reenergized and become productive again.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Oh, I understand why a lot of Laker fans are still upset. To be honest, I suspect that this is misplaced anger, because I don't think that Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant would have meshed very well. Was Chris Paul going to become an effective off-the-ball shooter? Or was Kobe going to turn the ball over to a PG for the first time in his life? Probably neither. The Chris Paul trade probably would have been a bust for us, but we'll never actually know. A lot of people see a glorious Kobe-Paul partnership in the theatre of their minds.

But my question wasn't about Laker fans, and neither was the article. The article talked about what would have been better for the Pelicans. Frankly, the Lakers deal wasn't that great for the Pelicans. Odom, Scola, and Martin were overpaid, aging spare parts. Dragic became good a few years later, but even now he isn't a superstar. Gordon had more long term star potential than any of those guys. I suppose that in hindsight Dragic is worth more than Gordon, but the Pelicans weren't trading Chris Paul for Dragic.

At the time, I questioned the decision because the Lakers deal would have given the Pelicans the chance to be at least competitive for a couple years. In hindsight, knowing how badly Odom fell apart and how quickly Scola declined, I would have to say that David Stern got it right for the Pelicans.

I agree in theory with the first part of that, because I agree with your concerns on CP3 (and am on record that he is overrated as a winner and franchise player, I think tony parker is a better player, fwiw). I disagree about better off because the lotto win saved what ultimately was a poor trade for no.

But more importantly, I disagree overall, because your take is falling for Stern's claim of basketball reasons. The reason the veto was wrong was because stern overstepped jac sperling, who was appointed to oversee Demps in order to remove stern from a real conflict of interest. Stern stepped in because of the backlash from his new ruling coalition,: who, not insignificantly, held Stern's impending retirement deal in their hands.

If you believe that an autocrat like stern was not privy to the day to day, yet was willing to step in later and veto, I dont know what to tell you. He knew what the deal was, and the plan was to improve the sake value with a more competitive, mid pack team. Wrangling Gordon, a young star to be at the time, was a covering decision, and likely involved other promises to the clippers, who did not want to give him up. It also demonstrates that the whole affair wasn't about big markets, but about the Lakers specifically. It was all about preventing his new junta from coming apart on him. Stern knew and approved of the trade, pure and simple.
bevwenz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
bevwenz wrote:
Voices wrote:

Stern didn't ban the Lakers from acquiring Paul. He vetoed the EXISTING deal...basically wanted more and/or a younger mix. Throw in a pick and maybe find a way to save less in salary to placate the noise enough so that Stern would ignore the whining. Would that have worked? Impossible to say because the Lakers not long thereafter CHOSE to back out of the deal entirely.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
bevwenz wrote:
Voices wrote:

Posters that know you are well aware that you were not for trading with Houston because you keep taking the position that cap space is more important than building a team. We are now two plus years from a trade that would have given the Lakers not only assets including a first round pick, but the contracts of the players that had money remaining would be expiring, meanwhile we have nothing for Gasol.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

bevwenz wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
bevwenz wrote:
Voices wrote:

Stern didn't ban the Lakers from acquiring Paul. He vetoed the EXISTING deal...basically wanted more and/or a younger mix. Throw in a pick and maybe find a way to save less in salary to placate the noise enough so that Stern would ignore the whining. Would that have worked? Impossible to say because the Lakers not long thereafter CHOSE to back out of the deal entirely.

And none of us know why they did. You assume it was a decision by the Lakers, it very well could have been for a different reason.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

Exactly, its odd how bad they were to even get a number 1 pick to land that legit prospect. Makes me paranoid that sometimes the NBA is rigged with its refs and lottery crap.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

for some reason i believe the outcome would be different even after the initial veto had we have Mark Cuban as our owner instead of the PC Buss family, and that whimp ass Mitch Kupcake as GM.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

bevwenz wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
bevwenz wrote:
Voices wrote:

You have been around longer than me yet you have so few posts, nice to hear your calm voice, hopefully you can add to more discussions more often in the future. LG can always use calm differences in opinions.

I'm sure it's not a surprise I agree with this post, the Lakers just gave up on the trade when Stern left the window open. I agree that we do not know what Stern would have done if the Lakers had added a first round pick and reworked some other aspects of the deal.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

True. I still hate it. It has led to the death spiral the Lakers are currently in.

That move would have led to a more graceful aging of Kobe. No way in a CP3/Kobe/(likely Dwight) relationship is Kobe playing the way he is now.

New Orleans was going to win the lottery no matter what.

Ridiculous. A reputable accounting firm oversees the lottery now, every team sends it's own representatives, and the process is way too complicated these days to easily fix a lottery. Given the high instances of plain old busts from number one picks on down, and the number of people who would have to be involved and then keep their mouths shut, plus the huge hit the NBA would take in terms of integrity and possible violation of federal law and lawsuits from their own owners if they were ever found out, there's insanely little chance the NBA would try to fix the lottery for any team. People love their conspiracy theories, and conveniently can make up a narrative about any result that actually comes about, but the actual chance of it is low because it would be stupid and nearly impossible to keep quiet for long.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: