Dragon Age Inquisition (MINOR SPOILERS)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Dragon Age Inquisition (MINOR SPOILERS)

This is amazing. Bioware really learned how to craft a great open world, probably thanks to their time with SWTOR. Can only imagine what this will mean for Mass Effect 4!

I'd definitely put this game as my GOAT so far. Can't imagine it's immediate contender, The Witcher 3, will challenge it either. CD Projekt Red just doesn't have the same ability to craft great stories like Bioware does (Witcher 1 came close but 2 made me fall asleep).

Anyways I really want to keep playing but I'm going to pass out so I decided to make this post and call it a night. Hope others who have it are enjoying it as well!

Last edited by Don Draper on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject:

You beat me to it. This is the first non-Blizz game I'm ponying up full price for in 15 years.

Witcher is the only contender as well I agree but I don't know...the ability of Bioware to craft so much character into their RPG's. I loved Witcher but the dialogue/story was just missing something. It was good don't get me wrong but damn if Bioware just make it feel like I'm living one of my favorite fantasy novels.

In terms of gameplay/character/story, the only RPG's that can even come close to the original Baldur's Gate and the rest of the kings of Bioware are other Bioware titles. I know a lot of people loved Skyrim for example but in terms of the bolded, it's not even in the same LEAGUE as DA One. It had a fantastic ambiance but even as a person who played through it twice, strip away the graphics and you're left with a story and character that were so thin...it's a daggerfall thing though...it's the nature of making a game where the bulk of the missions are random quests to kill friggen "some monster in this random house in this random part of the map". It didn't help that once I figured out the crafting mechanics it was easy as pie to make your guy invincible for the end game. Punching to death these epic dragons made them kind of...mmm un-epic.

I think the hardest thing when making a single player rpg is to maintain a balance between running on rails like a lot of Japanese console rpg's and having an open ended experience. Too much on rails and you're no longer playing an rpg game. You're just playing through a story with no impactful decisions to be made. Too open-ended like Skyrim and the quests and things you do outside of the main story arc as well as the "npcs" you meet (I use that loosely since none of them actually had character) have little to no emotional and/or gameplay impact. You have a pretty, expansive world but most of it is barely fleshed out. Towns of nothing. Bioware strikes the perfect balance.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

What are you playing it on? PC or Console?
I've always played DA games on PC but mine's too old now. I might get it on PS4 this time. I hope it doesn't ruin the experience.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject:

I used to play D&D. It was a blast.
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject:

Love Dragon Age but i hate(d) Mass Effect. Never been a fan of the shooters i guess.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:

Good man! So did I up until HS!
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
What are you playing it on? PC or Console?
I've always played DA games on PC but mine's too old now. I might get it on PS4 this time. I hope it doesn't ruin the experience.

PC. Runs really well in 1080P but I've had to lower a few settings to get it running above 30FPS consistently. The game is gorgeous. Some of the character's faces reach the uncanny valley in how realistic they look. My PC is more powerful than a PS4 though but I'm sure you could run it well on older PCs if you lower the resolution and set everything to low (it would probably look like a souped up Dragon Age Origins if you did that). I might suggest that over the PS4 just because you get an MMO esque hotbar with the PC, just like in DA:O.

Also, based on only gameplay, I have to say that DA: I feels a tiny bit like Two Worlds II (not an insult since that's one area where TWII did extremely well IMO).

Last edited by Don Draper on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
You beat me to it. This is the first non-Blizz game I'm ponying up full price for in 15 years.

Witcher is the only contender as well I agree but I don't know...the ability of Bioware to craft so much character into their RPG's. I loved Witcher but the dialogue/story was just missing something. It was good don't get me wrong but damn if Bioware just make it feel like I'm living one of my favorite fantasy novels.

In terms of gameplay/character/story, the only RPG's that can even come close to the original Baldur's Gate and the rest of the kings of Bioware are other Bioware titles. I know a lot of people loved Skyrim for example but in terms of the bolded, it's not even in the same LEAGUE as DA One. It had a fantastic ambiance but even as a person who played through it twice, strip away the graphics and you're left with a story and character that were so thin...it's a daggerfall thing though...it's the nature of making a game where the bulk of the missions are random quests to kill friggen "some monster in this random house in this random part of the map". It didn't help that once I figured out the crafting mechanics it was easy as pie to make your guy invincible for the end game. Punching to death these epic dragons made them kind of...mmm un-epic.

I think the hardest thing when making a single player rpg is to maintain a balance between running on rails like a lot of Japanese console rpg's and having an open ended experience. Too much on rails and you're no longer playing an rpg game. You're just playing through a story with no impactful decisions to be made. Too open-ended like Skyrim and the quests and things you do outside of the main story arc as well as the "npcs" you meet (I use that loosely since none of them actually had character) have little to no emotional and/or gameplay impact. You have a pretty, expansive world but most of it is barely fleshed out. Towns of nothing. Bioware strikes the perfect balance.

Yup I agree. CD Projekt Red is probably closest to Bioware in delivering that balance but Bioware is still maintains a healthy lead.

There's so much to do in Skyrim but Bethesda really has no talent when it comes to making memorable characters and main quests. Now, they do have some skill when it comes to SOME sidequests but those are few and far between.

Actually I think one game that strikes that balance a bit now is WoW, surprisingly. Blizzard, like Bioware is able to create characters and lore you care about, all while delivering a vast open world. Of course, since WoW is an MMO, you have nearly zero decision making (though that changed a tiny bit with the development of Garrisons, which are nearly exactly like the keep in DA: I).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yup I agree. CD Projekt Red is probably closest to Bioware in delivering that balance but Bioware is still maintains a healthy lead.

There's so much to do in Skyrim but Bethesda really has no talent when it comes to making memorable characters and main quests. Now, they do have some skill when it comes to SOME sidequests but those are few and far between.

Actually I think one game that strikes that balance a bit now is WoW, surprisingly. Blizzard, like Bioware is able to create characters and lore you care about, all while delivering a vast open world. Of course, since WoW is an MMO, you have nearly zero decision making (though that changed a tiny bit with the development of Garrisons, which are nearly
exactly like the keep in DA: I).

How's your performance? The reviews I see make it seem to be brutal on computers.

I have Far Cry 4 installed right now. Can't decide whether or not just to put that on hold and start Inquisition now or wait a few weeks.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Actually I think one game that strikes that balance a bit now is WoW, surprisingly. Blizzard, like Bioware is able to create characters and lore you care about, all while delivering a vast open world. Of course, since WoW is an MMO, you have nearly zero decision making (though that changed a tiny bit with the development of Garrisons, which are nearly

How's your performance? The reviews I see make it seem to be brutal on computers.

I have Far Cry 4 installed right now. Can't decide whether or not just to put that on hold and start Inquisition now or wait a few weeks.

Not brutal but it's taxing. High/med settings with no AA at 1080P averaging around 30fps I'd say. It performs about the same as an Ubisoft game like Far Cry 3 or AssCreed3.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Not brutal but it's taxing. High/med settings with no AA at 1080P averaging around 30fps I'd say. It performs about the same as an Ubisoft game like Far Cry 3 or AssCreed3.

Cool...I have it in my cart right now. Hola ftw! $45 bucks through Mexico proxy =D for the Digital Deluxe.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Cool...I have it in my cart right now. Hola ftw! $45 bucks through Mexico proxy =D for the Digital Deluxe.

Haha I did the same thing! $39.99 for the standard edition ftw!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Haha I did the same thing! $39.99 for the standard edition ftw!

I'm having a trouble with the Payment. Does the country matter (US isn't an option) or will the Origin site just transfer me to Paypal to make payment for the final submission.

I really need a bigger SSD. FC 4 is a whopping 25+ gigs! Can't believe I have to start managing my storage.

*edit* - Got it working (countries aren't in alphabetical order...go figure). Now for the d/l. Bah!
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject:

One thing that changed here compared to earlier Dragon Ages is that it's kind of like a more traditional RPG now where you have to grind in a zone to gain power before moving onto the next thing. Whereas before you sort of leveled up with the story. I jumped ahead in the story a bit too early and I was getting absolutely destroyed by stuff. Should have stayed in the Hinterlands longer
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:

Good man! So did I up until HS!

I played after I dropped out of High School. One of my DM's was a Crip. (bleep) was real.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

I've given up on bioware after what they did to mass effect 3
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I've given up on bioware after what they did to mass effect 3

Just shut up about ME3. It had a horrible ending but it wasn't a bad game at all.

Did you even play DA:O? If you did, none of that would even matter.
Mass Effect and Dragon Age have different development teams.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:

Yes it was great. Also the second one, which was not great

Quote:
Just shut up about ME3. It had a horrible ending but it wasn't a bad game at all.

Well excuse me for being upset after having something I was emotionally invested in get ruined at the very end by "artistic integrity"
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

Quote:

Well excuse me for being upset after having something I was emotionally invested in get ruined at the very end by "artistic integrity"
You weren't the only one emotionally invested and upset. Bioware realized that which was why they released the "closure DLC" for FREE right? The damage was done but at least they were humbled enough to make the effort to appease the gamers' demands.

If that company mentality to please the gamers doesn't get to you then I'm sorry but you're just being a spoiled brat.
Bioware isn't a company like Ubisoft who just make games after games despite the bad quality. It's clear that they want to make quality games. If you don't see that and really plan on skipping DA:I, then it's your loss.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

JohnnyBravo, how are you enjoying the mouse/keyboard controls? I've been playing with them so far and though the hotbar is nice the controls are overall pretty clunky, especially the menus and looting. Thinking of switching to my 360 controller.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

Quote:

I wrote an entire article espousing my disdain for ME3's ending but I put it up to being product of technological limitation. With Dragon Age Keep and whatever they implement for the next Mass Effect, I am more confident they'll remember the choices we made.

I really liked Hawke from DA2 and I guess this is a MINOR SPOILER (since it was in the trailer) but yes he is in Inquisition and he's characterized based on how you played him in the second one. I always chose the tough guy or smarmy choices and I found it hilarious when he seemed to take that tone with me when I spoke with him. Especially when I brought up Anders. Muhahahah.

Also I gotta say Chronicle that Inquisition is pretty insane in scope. I played 20 hours just in the prolouge/opening third of the game, and I could have put in 40 if I took the time to do the side quests and explore, which I'm planning to do more of now. The world is HUGE. It's a lot like an MMO world in size. No repeated dungeons XD
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

Yep this is definitely better with a controller. Shame for PC folks.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

Bought an Xbone yesterday just for this game. Didn't get too far but the character creation is pretty cool.

!...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

damn it man, I just subbed to PCMasterRace yesterday
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

Really? I thought the reviews were saying its better for PC because of the controls during battle?

I personally prefer using the 360/PS3 controller on PC if its an option, but that probably has a lot to do how I usually have my PC setup.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: