Serious Q: Is it that serious if Boozer, Lin, Wesley, Sacre, etc. are upset?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rugbar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

No good free agent will want to play with an ageing player who takes more shots than any player in the NBA but shoots worse than average for every team except for the 76ers. Don't delude yourselves: Kobe's behavior this season is providing support for the views expressed in Abbot's story. The only difference is that unlike a few years ago when he was a true superstar, now he is the same chucker but has a WS/48 far below the league average.

The number of shots he took against the Warriors was simply ridiculous. In reality, however, he took that many shots not because he had lost faith in his teammates but because he had lost faith in himself. The previous game was his worst shooting performance ever, and he wanted to regain his confidence. Hopefully he has and will moderate his tendencies. It is remarkable that the team has the ninth best offensive rating at this point with Bryant shooting so much at such a low percentage. If before the season started you had told me that 11 games into the season, Kobe would have the highest usage rate in the league but a TS% below .500, I would have guessed that the team would have been ranked 25th in offensive rating, not ninth. The rest of the team's offense is outperforming my expectations when you factor in Kobe's abysmal shooting.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I love Kobe's approach... he quickly separates the men from the boys. It helps the team although its harsh. You know very quickly which players have a killer instinct and which ones don't.

That's why the Lakers quickly transitioned players in and out for a few years after Shaq was traded. Kobe weeded the scrubs out and exposed them. After 3 years, the Lakers were right back to the NBA Finals with only Kobe and Fisher as the holdovers from the Shaq era.

If a FA is afraid to come to LA because he doesn't want to match Kobe's competitiveness... then i don't want him here anyhow.

And btw, all Kobe did was tell his teammates: If you guys aren't ready to play, i'm going to take ALL the shots. Let me know when you're ready and you'll see the ball again. Simple. Last night they came ready to play and Kobe backed off... he's going to challenge them in every game and they better be ready.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
I love Kobe's approach... he quickly separates the men from the boys. It helps the team although its harsh. You know very quickly which players have a killer instinct and which ones don't.

That's why the Lakers quickly transitioned players in and out for a few years after Shaq was traded. Kobe weeded the scrubs out and exposed them. After 3 years, the Lakers were right back to the NBA Finals with only Kobe and Fisher as the holdovers from the Shaq era.

If a FA is afraid to come to LA because he doesn't want to match Kobe's competitiveness... then i don't want him here anyhow.

And btw, all Kobe did was tell his teammates: If you guys aren't ready to play, i'm going to take ALL the shots. Let me know when you're ready and you'll see the ball again. Simple.

So how have we fared so far with this approach the past few seasons?

Again, when Kobe was in his prime, I think his amazing on-court dominance eclipsed his tough demands. He's 36 and approaching the game the same way.

Put it this way, how many of you guys are dressing the same today as you did when you were in your late teens? (Still rocking that Cross-Colors outfit with the hat backwards in your late 30s early 40s?)

I hope he reaches out to his teammates, even though they are far inferior players than he's accustomed to. He needs help, and the last thing we need is to drive prospective FAs away with the "you ain't tough enough" braggadocio. We don't have the luxury or personnel to be brandishing this right now.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rugbar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Boozer said that they were running sets, and then Kobe would disrupt them to take shots (despite possessing a horrible TS%).

That's not separating the men from the boys. That's just being a jerk--or, more charitably, trying to regain confidence in his own shot.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

And btw, all Kobe did was tell his teammates: If you guys aren't ready to play, i'm going to take ALL the shots. Let me know when you're ready and you'll see the ball again. Simple.

Again, when Kobe was in his prime, I think his amazing on-court dominance eclipsed his tough demands. He's 36 and approaching the game the same way.

Put it this way, how many of you guys are dressing the same today as you did when you were in your late teens? (Still rocking that Cross-Colors outfit with the hat backwards in your late 30s early 40s?)

I hope he reaches out to his teammates, even though they are far inferior players than he's accustomed to. He needs help, and the last thing we need is to drive prospective FAs away with the "you ain't tough enough" braggadocio. We don't have the luxury or personnel to be brandishing this right now.

Still no addressing of the point that we attracted Isaiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson, and Trevor Ariza this summer huh?

It pretty much debunks your argument, and it should put your mind at ease
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rugbar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Still no addressing of the point that we attracted Isaiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson, and Trevor Ariza this summer huh?

Those aren't top free agents. They aren't getting the Lakers back to the promise land of contention.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
It's irrelevant this season that the team is upset. However Kobe's AI mode, won't help FA's come.

For the record... I don't think Kobe was a FA problem last off season... But no one wants to play with a constant chucker.

The Kobe we're watching today... is a Kobe we haven't ever seen in a Laker uniform. The last time he went into "dominate mode" he was in his prime. You couldn't fault him for it.

This time... It doesn't have that feel.

Kobe is trying to prove the naysayers wrong; he is trying to prove he can still play and be a force. The issue is that he is forcing things, not letting the game come to him. He is giving them more ammo than they should have. He needs to tone it down and let the game come to him. No need to take 34 shots a game, I don;t care if the team is down by 100!!! Sometimes shots fall, sometimes they don't, he of all people should know that. The team develops chemistry and players will actually TRY when the wealth is shared. I KNOW, I KNOW the team is full of "scrubs", but even scrub can put a ball in a hole
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

How is that debunking when they're not on the team? Think about that for a second. I thought that was a fairly obvious point that didn't need to be stated outright.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Rugbar wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Those aren't top free agents. They aren't getting the Lakers back to the promise land of contention.

You really had hope in the Pipe dream of Lebron or Melo?

Tell me, who is exactly did get them? The team that could pay them the most (Melo), and the team where he could be de facto GM and have a "going home" story (LeBron).

Those were the top FAs that were actually available. And they are on the same level as the guys we need to be pursuing to re-build the team:

RJax, Dragic, Butler, Harris, Matthews, etc.... all on that level.

You guys are crying over something that hasn't even happened. Probably watching a little too much first take on ESPN
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

How is that debunking when they're not on the team? Think about that for a second. I thought that was a fairly obvious point that didn't need to be stated outright.

Doesn't the Front Office have last say in whether they want to go after free agents? I'm sure we could of had any of those three had the FO offered any semblance of a respectable deal.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Wow Yinomes! This is not a personal shot at you, but you're a lawyer so I KNOW you can think logically.

They are not on the team because the Lakers chose not to commit to them, NOT BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T WANT TO BE HERE. And definitely not because they were worried Kobe was going to be too hard on them or that he would record chase. Each one of them PUBLICLY stated they wanted to play here.

Sheesh
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

So where's your proof that Kobe was the reason they wanted to be on the Lakers? I know Isiah Thomas grew up a Lakers fan, but did he ever say that Kobe was the motivating factor to be here? Or Lance? Or even Ariza?
Rugbar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Answer this question 22: How many true stars would want to play with a player in his late 30s who shoots more than any player in the league but has a TS% worse than the average for every team except the 76ers? Please, answer it.

Abbott's story was based on the reputation that Kobe acquired when he was a superstar. He isn't one anymore. He's a good player that doesn't understand that his selfish tendencies are hurting the team.

Last edited by Rugbar on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So where's your proof that Kobe was the reason they wanted to be on the Lakers? I know Isiah Thomas grew up a Lakers fan, but did he ever say that Kobe was the motivating factor to be here? Or Lance? Or even Ariza?

Does that matter really? I don't think Kobe or no Kobe is the sole defining factor for whether a free agent will come to the Lakers. Give them a respectable deal and I'm sure they would of come. People on both sides of the argument get too hung up on Kobe as this polarizing figure. He is just another player on the court when everyone laces up their shoes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm not going so far as to say people won't come here because of Kobe.

My point is that I can understand why the top free agents may wait until Kobe retires. It's understandable. Kobe's chasing historic records, his shadow looms large. Kobe will always be larger than that free agent.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Does that matter really? I don't think Kobe or no Kobe is the sole defining factor for whether a free agent will come to the Lakers. Give them a respectable deal and I'm sure they would of come. People on both sides of the argument get too hung up on Kobe as this polarizing figure. He is just another player on the court when everyone laces up their shoes.

I'm just making a simple point. How can you use guys who aren't on this team as proof? It's one thing to argue that Ed Davis, or Wes Johnson cited Kobe as a reason they came here (actually, Rob Pelinka), but it's another to extrapolate that 3 guys who didn't sign here are proof. That's all I'm pointing here.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm not going so far as to say people won't come here because of Kobe.

My point is that I can understand why the top free agents may wait until Kobe retires. It's understandable. Kobe's chasing historic records, his shadow looms large. Kobe will always be larger than that free agent.

You can understand the argument but that doesn't mean the argument is valid. There was no type of rumor from the FO this free agency that they made a serious run at any of these free agents. Had a rumor like that come out your point may be a bit more valid.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

That's not my argument.

Your worry is that we won't be able to attract FAs because they will be worried about Kobe. I proved that is a false worry since we did attract quality FAs this past offseason.

Rugbar wrote:
Answer this question 22: How many true stars would want to play with a player in their late 30s who shoots more than any player in the league but has a TS% worse than the average for every team except the 76ers? Please, answer it.

Abbott's story was based on the reputation that Kobe acquired when he was a superstar. He isn't one anymore. He's a good player that doesn't understand that his selfish tendencies are hurting the team.

1st of all there is only 1 "true star" available anytime soon and that is KD. KD loves Kobe and even put him on his all-time team of dudes he'd want to play with.

But don't let that stop you from enjoying ESPN's rhetoric
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm just making a simple point. How can you use guys who aren't on this team as proof? It's one thing to argue that Ed Davis, or Wes Johnson cited Kobe as a reason they came here (actually, Rob Pelinka), but it's another to extrapolate that 3 guys who didn't sign here are proof. That's all I'm pointing here.

I don't agree with Silkwilkes point either that free agents are afraid of Kobe. As I said, people on both sides of the argument think too much of Kobe as some polarizing figure. Have a decent team, and give a free agent a good deal and those are the most important factors for whether a free agent will sign with the lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Going back to the original post. I think there's no reason why Kobe can't work with his current teammates. Last night (and Charlotte) was a great combination of Kobe AND the team stepping up together. That's the tone I'd rather see, even if it doesn't ultimately end up in a playoff berth. It really hurts no one if Kobe and the team can continue this style of play.

As an aside, this is why I was hoping for a guy like Randle to learn under Kobe and am hoping we get a top 5 pick. If we can lure them here, I'm fine with Kobe teaching our young bucks. But our constant 1 year rental players just aren't amenable to that kind of an atmosphere.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rugbar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's not my argument.

Your worry is that we won't be able to attract FAs because they will be worried about Kobe. I proved that is a false worry since we did attract quality FAs this past offseason.

Rugbar wrote:
Answer this question 22: How many true stars would want to play with a player in their late 30s who shoots more than any player in the league but has a TS% worse than the average for every team except the 76ers? Please, answer it.

1st of all there is only 1 "true star" available anytime soon and that is KD. KD loves Kobe and even put him on his all-time team of dudes he'd want to play with.

Putting Kobe on a list of one's all-time favorites is a lot different than saying you want to play with him now. Only time will tell if KD comes here with Bryant as a teammate.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Rugbar wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's not my argument.

Rugbar wrote:

Putting Kobe on a list of one's all-time favorites is a lot different than saying you want to play with him now. Only time will tell if KD comes here with Bryant as a teammate.

Kobe will be like 38-39 by the time KD hits free agency. I doubt KD wants to play with the old guy lol even if he likes him.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Rugbar wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's not my argument.

Rugbar wrote:

For the record it was player he'd want to play with, not just his favorites.

But anyway, as Rivershow said that decision for KD (and other FAs) relies on many other things other than just Kobe. Which is the main argument presented in this thread and it is false.

Personally I think KD goes to Washington
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

I think we can all agree, there is a good balance between Kobe showing some tough love and being there for his teammates. We saw that last night and despite the tanking consequences, was nice to see the team come together last night. There is literally nothing wrong with this approach.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Yea I honestly don't like kobe's attitude this season.

I see how pointing fingers during timeouts.. when in reality his shot chucking isn't exactly helping.

Thought kobe had changed.. hurts me, since he is an athlete I looked up to, to see him treat his teammates this way.

Kobe is a direct and confrontational person. That's his style. That's his personality.

The thing that people need to understand about him is that he doesn't harbor animosity when he's doing that. That's just his communication method. Direct. To the point.

He expects the same in return. Be direct and to the point.

But that doesn't mean he dislikes you at all.

I understand that; but my point is more that he isn't exactly performing GREAT himself this season. I would completely understand if some of his teammates are like wtf.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: