Child-Abuse investigation case against Dwight Howard
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Child-Abuse investigation case against Dwight Howard

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=11899770

Quote:
Dwight Howard being investigated for Child-Abuse

Police have re-opened a child abuse investigation concerning Houston Rockets center Dwight Howard, according to multiple media reports.

The case involves an incident from last summer in which Howard admitted to authorities that he had hit his child with a belt. He told police that he was disciplined in such a manner growing up and didn't realize it was wrong.

Police in Florida looked into the incident in the fall but did not proceed with the investigation because of a lack of evidence.

New information reportedly emerged in the past 48 hours that caused Cobb County (Ga.) police to re-open the case, though officials did not release any details.

NBA vice president of communications Mike Bass told ESPN.com on Tuesday: "We are aware of the allegations concerning Dwight Howard and are in the process of independently gathering the facts."

Howard has not been arrested or charged with a crime.

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"Dr. Kesler noted the child to have a linear bruise and patterned abrasions consistent with the history given by the child of being struck with a belt numerous times by his father."

The report goes on to say the injuries were "consistent with the child being struck with the buckle end of the belt ... with excessive force, resulting in soft tissue injuries such as bruising and abrasions."

Using the buckle end of the belt? Terrible.

LINK
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Looks like a pattern here with Adrian Peterson: both high profile athletes who have over 6 kids with multiple children, seem to think it's normal to beat kids.

I know it's not within their best interests but perhaps they could simply be around and provide an actual home for their kids, instead of just throwing money at the women they impregnate. These guys are pathetic parents.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I usually don't like to comment on non-basketball issues such as these - but what I can say is just because your parents do it doesn't mean you are right to do it as well.

Education is needed here for Dwight and parents who do this. Then if pattern repeats - jail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Lock this childish coward douche in the jail.

This guy is a disgrace to basketball.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) you, Coward.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Does he smile while flogging his children?

!...
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject:

LOL...using a belt on your kid is not child abuse. It's much needed..especially with the current generation of delinquent youth.

I am no Dwight fan (as the record will attest)...but is bothers me when other people decide to chime in and tell parents how to discipline their kids.

That's up to the parent. And yes, sometimes corporal punishment is needed.

My wife and I just shake our heads at how kids that my daughter goes to school with open disrespect their parents.

1. One girl told her mom to shut up in front of other parents.

2. Another one decided to call his mom a "(bleep)", and threw a tantrum.

3. Yet another, told her parents "she hated them and to (bleep) off".

These are middle schoolers and no their parents don't spank them.

Last edited by K28 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Child-Abuse investigation case against Dwight Howard

Iron Mamba wrote:
Cobb County (Ga.)

Time for a Nightstick match.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

Okay, I'm a bastard but that mental image made me chuckle.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject:

This is why it's a good idea not to have a lot of kids with a lot of different mothers. You leave a trail of angry women that might want to get you in trouble or take all of your money. Poor choices.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:

So this dumbass hits kids too?

Sounds like he needs a swift ass beating.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
HyperX
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
LOL...using a belt on your kid is not child abuse. It's much needed..especially with the current generation of delinquent youth.

I am no Dwight fan (as the record will attest)...but is bothers me when other people decide to chime in and tell parents how to discipline their kids.

My wife and I just shake our heads at how kids that my daughter goes to school with open disrespect their parents.

I'm sorry, I disagree with this. There are a ton of ways to discipline your kids without using a belt buckle until the child is bruised and battered. Even spanking with the open hand is better than using a metal device.

I know a lot of respectful and well mannered children and none of them have been hit by a belt buckle.

Sure, you need to keep them in line, but using the belt buckle is not the solution.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

HyperX wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

I'm sorry, I disagree with this. There are a ton of ways to discipline your kids without using a belt buckle until the child is bruised and battered. Even spanking with the open hand is better than using a metal device.

I know a lot of respectful and well mannered children and none of them have been hit by a belt buckle.

Sure, you need to keep them in line, but using the belt buckle is not the solution.

The belt buckle isn't the point. It's that they'd be prosecuting for the act of using a belt to begin with.

About 10 years ago in Chicago, a Chinese man was arrested at a local park. His crime...he had slapped his daughter for being out of line. Parents need to be allowed to be parents.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Okay, I'm a bastard but that mental image made me chuckle.

No, wonder Kobe, Durant, GP amongst others wants to smack D12 when he gives that fake smile.
HyperX
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
HyperX wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

The belt buckle isn't the point. It's that they'd be prosecuting for the act of using a belt to begin with.

About 10 years ago in Chicago, a Chinese man was arrested at a local park. His crime...he had slapped his daughter for being out of line. Parents need to be allowed to be parents.

It is to me. 2 different cases. Belt buckle is over the limit and very different from a open hand slap.

The question in this context is : are you ok with a belt buckle being used to hit a child until he's bruised?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

I am so very grateful that you are not making laws, and that 6'9 men who attack a 6 year old child with a weapon get investigated by police.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

LOL at the notion that you have to hit a kid or threaten to hit a kid to keep them in line. As though the threat of violence is what's necessary to teach a child to act respectfully. Study after study after study show that hitting your kids has negative consequences for both the kid and society at large, as hitting kids accomplishes little more than teaching them that hitting people is okay. (shocking)

And before the inevitably irrelevant question comes up...yes, I have a kid, who's currently in middle school. I'm not gonna recite his resume to win an internet argument, but he's a damn good, respectful human being, and when he (bleep) up we talk about it and correct the behavior without having to treat him like cattle.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Amazing how a HS basketball coach can get 12 kids with a spectrum of personalities to respect them without beating them. Must be a miracle of some sort.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

LOL at the notion that you have to hit a kid or threaten to hit a kid to keep them in line. As though the threat of violence is what's necessary to teach a child to act respectfully. Study after study after study show that hitting your kids has negative consequences for both the kid and society at large, as hitting kids accomplishes little more than teaching them that hitting people is okay. (shocking)

And before the inevitably irrelevant question comes up...yes, I have a kid, who's currently in middle school. I'm not gonna recite his resume to win an internet argument, but he's a damn good, respectful human being, and when he (bleep) up we talk about it and correct the behavior without having to treat him like cattle.

I agree with Kray about how kids are these days and it bothers the (bleep) out of me. And I was raised in the days when it was ok and expected to use corporal punishment. But I have grown to change my POV. I am absolutely not a TV dad. Even though it's fashionable, I compel my daughters to call adults 'sir" and 'ma'am." But I never raise my voice and we never give corporal punishment. And they are so well behaved and good people. I don't think them being scared of me would make them better, but rather worse. My aim is always to have "I'm disappointed in you." be the thing that makes them the saddest thing.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject:

His kids are probably Lakers fans because they're not beating anybody.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
His kids are probably Lakers fans because they're not beating anybody.

too soon man
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

I agree with Kray about how kids are these days and it bothers the (bleep) out of me. And I was raised in the days when it was ok and expected to use corporal punishment. But I have grown to change my POV. I am absolutely not a TV dad. Even though it's fashionable, I compel my daughters to call adults 'sir" and 'ma'am." But I never raise my voice and we never give corporal punishment. And they are so well behaved and good people. I don't think them being scared of me would make them better, but rather worse. My aim is always to have "I'm disappointed in you." be the thing that makes them the saddest thing.

Very well said.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

as Kevin Durant would say... Dwight, you're a puss-e
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I usually don't like to comment on non-basketball issues such as these - but what I can say is just because your parents do it doesn't mean you are right to do it as well.

Education is needed here for Dwight and parents who do this. Then if pattern repeats - jail.

I disagree.

If Howard used the buckle-end of the belt, then he deserves jail. No community service crap, straight to (bleep) jail. Have you ever seen what a belt buckle can do to a child when he or she is whipped? The buckle digs into the flesh with each strike while the prong causes puncture wounds.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: