Swaggy Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
zePokar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Young is the anti-tank missile b/c:

1. he's not good enough to make this team a playoff team;
2. but he's good enough to push them out of the bottom 2.

As long as Kobe is playing I'd rather watch the lakers win some games and have some fun like yesterday night even if that means missing the pick. Honestly I can't go through 82 games like the first 10 we had. It was just too painfull.

As long as Kobe is playing the Lakers won't be tanking so might aswell give him some help.

Well, after Randle went down, I'm basically hibernating for next season. I want this season to bear some fruit. And if it's Kobe you like seeing, he'll still be chasing scoring records regardless. At least in a bad season, one could also expect a major franchise piece in a rookie going forward, but if we don't get it, it's a double blow.

The issue I have with that is that Kobe is 36 coming off two major injuries. He and Byron will always be trying to win games... Players, coaches, they don't tank.

You really think Kobe is gonna make it through 82 games being down 10, 20, 30 points every game and playing heavy minutes trying to carry the load on offense ?

As long as Kobe is healthy the lakers aren't tanking, and you have to give him help imo. Even if that means being the 6th worst team in the NBA at the end of the season.... That's the situation the lakers are in right now. Kind of nowhere.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
zePokar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

As long as Kobe is playing I'd rather watch the lakers win some games and have some fun like yesterday night even if that means missing the pick. Honestly I can't go through 82 games like the first 10 we had. It was just too painfull.

As long as Kobe is playing the Lakers won't be tanking so might aswell give him some help.

Well, after Randle went down, I'm basically hibernating for next season. I want this season to bear some fruit. And if it's Kobe you like seeing, he'll still be chasing scoring records regardless. At least in a bad season, one could also expect a major franchise piece in a rookie going forward, but if we don't get it, it's a double blow.

The issue I have with that is that Kobe is 36 coming off two major injuries. He and Byron will always be trying to win games... Players, coaches, they don't tank.

You really think Kobe is gonna make it through 82 games being down 10, 20, 30 points every game and playing heavy minutes trying to carry the load on offense ?

As long as Kobe is healthy the lakers aren't tanking, and you have to give him help imo. Even if that means being the 6th worst team in the NBA at the end of the season.... That's the situation the lakers are in right now. Kind of nowhere.

Not going to devolve into an "is Kobe helping the team win games" argument, but a recent article broke down the numbers that shows that while Kobe is scoring, there is a colorable argument that it isn't necessarily helping the team win games. The fascinating #s were that when the Lakers were up, Kobe shot significantly less, but when down by 10 points or more, Kobe just started hoisting more shots (which is confirmed by what we see but the actual #s were interesting).

And that's fine in a god awful year like this. I do agree that Kobe is pretty much the only thing to watch on this team.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I'am not even arguing that... Just saying Kobe isn't tanking and he is gonna give all he's got every night in order to try to win games. If you don't want this season to be his last, he better have some help. Having Young on the perimeter, another legit scoring threat made a difference last night.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
zePokar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
zePokar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Not going to devolve into an "is Kobe helping the team win games" argument, but a recent article broke down the numbers that shows that while Kobe is scoring, there is a colorable argument that it isn't necessarily helping the team win games. The fascinating #s were that when the Lakers were up, Kobe shot significantly less, but when down by 10 points or more, Kobe just started hoisting more shots (which is confirmed by what we see but the actual #s were interesting).

And that's fine in a god awful year like this. I do agree that Kobe is pretty much the only thing to watch on this team.

I think that is a case of where correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation. What I mean basically is that Kobe forces himself to score more because this team especially early in this season has a shown lack of ability to score consistently outside of Kobe. Which forces Kobe to go into hero mode and hoist up a lot of shots inefficiently. The more consistent offensively the players around Kobe are the better and more efficient Kobe becomes. It's basically not Kobe's numbers that we should be talking about but the rest of the team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

^ Chicken or the egg. We'll leave it at that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: