Free Agency and the Lakers(melo..melo..melo)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Free Agency and the Lakers(melo..melo..melo)

So... the knicks are 3-10

the lakers are....3-9

Melo had a choice to join forces with kobe, nick young,
,(we still would've had boozer for cheap, price for cheap, and ed davis for cheap)

Ask yourself what would the lakers record be with Melo, kobe, Nick, Boozer, Ed davis, Jordan hill.

probably some where around 6-3 and 7-2.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Free Agency and the Lakers(melo..melo..melo)

magickobe24 wrote:
So... the knicks are 3-10

the lakers are....3-9

Melo had a choice to join forces with kobe, nick young,
,(we still would've had boozer for cheap, price for cheap, and ed davis for cheap)

Ask yourself what would the lakers record be with Melo, kobe, Nick, Boozer, Ed davis, Jordan hill.

probably some where around 6-3 and 7-2.

If we played all 6 at the same time, yes.
pd24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject:

5-7
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

Or he could have gone to Chicago.

I think if Melo was sure Kobe was healthy, he may have considered the Lakers more. But the fact at the time Kobe was still a question mark, I think made it easier for him to stay.
DALAKERSRULE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject:

we would be 4-8.
Nick just came back and it would take some time for Kobe and Melo to adjust to each others game, but we would have a much better record than what we currently have for sure.

and I agree, no one expected Kobe to return to form so quick after his injuries, and that is why Melo stayed plus the more $$$$ in NYC.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

i was thinking the same thing too. Melo would do wonder on this team. clearly Kobe has been running out of gas toward the end of each game so far. Melo will be the other go to guy down the stretch, i don't trust Swaggy P yet, he's a good change of pace 2nd 3rd quarter guy but i don't think he can handle the duty of closing the game
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

DALAKERSRULE wrote:
we would be 4-8.
Nick just came back and it would take some time for Kobe and Melo to adjust to each others game, but we would have a much better record than what we currently have for sure.

and I agree, no one expected Kobe to return to form so quick after his injuries, and that is why Melo stayed plus the more $$$$ in NYC.

We'd be over .500. There were games where Kobe was just gassed and having Melo would have taken a ton of pressure off of him IMO.
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

We'd be floating (above or below) somewhere around the 0.500 mark. I know its only been two games, but look at the difference another legitimate scorer has made since SwaggyP's return. There's now someone else on the team that opponents actually have to defend.

So since we're playing the 'if' game in this scenario, say Melo did come here, we wouldn't be seeing Kobe shooting near 30 shots a game, he'd honestly be floating around his usual 20-22 shots per game or maybe even 18-20 since it'd be the first time he'd be playing with another perimeter/post scorer that can actually go toe-toe with him scoring-wise. Also with the addition of Melo, Kobe probably wouldn't be logging in 35+ minutes in the recent stretch of games.

Sure we'd still suck defensively, but at least we'd be making opposing teams expend their energy since they'd actually have to defend someone outside of Kobe/Young. Having three players who can go off big-time on any given night will prove to be a challenge for any team regardless of how bad our D sucks.

Last edited by aachan on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i was thinking the same thing too. Melo would do wonder on this team. clearly Kobe has been running out of gas toward the end of each game so far. Melo will be the other go to guy down the stretch, i don't trust Swaggy P yet, he's a good change of pace 2nd 3rd quarter guy but i don't think he can handle the duty of closing the game
swaggy is getting older. and as you age you USUALLY(not so for wes) get smarter and more confident in yourself/your game. You also cut out a lot of foolishness you were doing in your youth that probably hindered your performance. So THIS nick might just be able to carry the load in the 4th if need be. if kobe has the 1st 3 qtrs or even the first half. or vice versa with those two.

The thing about having a dynamic scorer like melo means kobe would never run out of gas to begin with. you better double old man kobe. but you darn sure better double money melo. That means 60% shooting ed davis would average even more points in the paint. that means blown layups boozer wouldnt be guarded by anyone really. i think he could blow the same layups and get his on board back for a putback. lol. if we had a super scorer like melo along with kobe. thats even if nick was hurt like he was this season.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

It might be about the benjamins and iso-Melos. Not sure why he turned down CHI, but when the zen master throws around $129 million it can be rather convincing even if the team is running the tankangle.
DALAKERSRULE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DALAKERSRULE wrote:
we would be 4-8.

We'd be over .500. There were games where Kobe was just gassed and having Melo would have taken a ton of pressure off of him IMO.

you are right......plus maybe Pau would have stayed....
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

DALAKERSRULE wrote:
we would be 4-8.

Drules, 4-8.... i dont know about that bad. Sure it would take time for these two to co-exist. But it wouldnt look like it looks now for either of them on their respective teams. kobe doesnt trust guys who cant score or wont shoot. same with melo. well they dont have that problem with each other on the floor.

do you understand how many times melo would grab that board and kobe would leak out for a freebee? we dont have that luxury right now.

This is kind of what LIn was alluding when he talked about being able to get easy shots in transition. that also boosts everyone's stats. shot attempts, points in the paint, wide open 3's, higher fg%'s.

See its one thing for splash bros to light up a team with old man kobe and a bunch of dudes who aint mentally prepared to score or defend. vs kobe and melo.

that changes a lot. Now klay has to guard melo, cause iggy and barnes cant. they would be in foul trouble. klay cant do that. so now klay is in foul trouble. see its one thing for klay to play solid d on kobe knowing he has help. but what happens when there is no help cause i have to stay at home with melo? now klay is getting torched or getting into foul trouble. now this is making him more tired. more tired,is tired legs, is more missed shots as the game progresses.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DALAKERSRULE wrote:
we would be 4-8.

thats the thing. lets be honest. we've seen a few games now where kobe was gassed and just didnt have the leg strength to make the shots. the guy was missing easy kobe shots right at the lip of the rim. if those hit or if half of those misses hit. we would've been .500 even without melo. Think about that for a moment. So now you have melo to assure kobe isnt dead tired and doesnt have to take as many shots. now melo isnt tired either. two scorers pretty much fresh all game long. Is a beautiful thing. Why do you guys think its so easy for Team USA to score like they do even with them playing less then nba mins.

Its because no one is tired. and all of those guys are monster scorers.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject:

DALAKERSRULE wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DALAKERSRULE wrote:
we would be 4-8.

you are right......plus maybe Pau would have stayed....
i didnt even think about that possibility. but Yeah maybe he would have. our defense would suck. but our offense would be money. especially in the half court. And we would've still had randle as our 7th pick even though he went down. next season you have a young randle playing behind gasol or behind jhill/or ed davis. i mean ed davis playing center with gasol at PF is a lot better defense then short hill and thin davis or thin davis and super short non defending booz.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject:

With Melo/Kobe, that would be approx. 45-47m. Nash would eat another 9.5, which in scenario, Lakers might have stretched him to get 6m to pursue other assets. It would have been tight.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:

Our defense would actually be even worse, if you can imagine such a thing
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:

pau was going to come back it we had Melo so it would be pau/kobe/melo
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Our defense would actually be even worse, if you can imagine such a thing

True. But I personally always thought that Kobe/Melo would have worked out somehow. I was hoping back in the day the Lakers would offer him to Denver for Melo. For ish and giggles:

Fisher/Kobe/Melo/Odom/Gasol. Tell me we wouldn't have extended the run with this crew?
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

I actually think that Melo is a bit of fool's gold for a max deal at his age. Personally, unless you're talking about a dominant center or guys like Kobe or Lebron... i wouldn't touch anyone with the max offer if they're 30. You want to get guys in the 26-27 age range.

Save our money and go for Love, Westbrook, Durant, etc. is the smarter bet. Defense wins you championships in the playoffs and we weren't going to win it all with an aging Kobe, Gasol and Melo defensively. At least the other guys play decent enough defense and can be pushed to play good defense in the playoffs and in big games... no such luck with these guys who just don't have the legs or defensive ability period.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
pau was going to come back it we had Melo so it would be pau/kobe/melo
no it wouldnt be worse then terrible. There is no WORSE then what we have going.

you wouldnt have to double team gasol's man on most nights. you wouldnt have to double team ed davis man with guards since he and gasol could easily cover a scoring big in the paint. what bogut did to us the other night was purely about HEIGHT/SIZE. he's so much bigger then the lakers bigmen he could just toy with them. Same with dwight. Well that wont work when you have gasol and davis in at the same time. gasol is a real 7 foot guy. doesnt matter if he's soft. 7 feet is 7 feet. especially if you have a shotblocker behind him like davis. you know what bothers blake griffin the most? height. same with Aldridge. especially if there's a shot blocker hiding in the background behind that height. the grizz would not have rebounded the ball like they did either with gasol and melo in the game.

now not only is gasol taller then most pf's. melo is taller then most sf's and very strong.

we are lacking at every spot not named sg. and thats admitting that lins defense is a lot better now then it was in the past. that doesnt mean kb is some great defender. it means at least he's the same size as guys he's going up against. its the meeks factor. you can try as hard as you like. if you're just too small. your too small. you cant overcome that. this is why booz gets abused by guys taller then him and why it bothers his offense(always has which is why the lakers would beat the jazz back in the day with gasol towering over booz at pf since bynum was playing center.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

Melo, a max FA, and a top 5 pick. Not too bad. They'll have pieces to build around this summer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
I actually think that Melo is a bit of fool's gold for a max deal at his age. Personally, unless you're talking about a dominant center or guys like Kobe or Lebron... i wouldn't touch anyone with the max offer if they're 30. You want to get guys in the 26-27 age range.

Save our money and go for Love, Westbrook, Durant, etc. is the smarter bet. Defense wins you championships in the playoffs and we weren't going to win it all with an aging Kobe, Gasol and Melo defensively. At least the other guys play decent enough defense and can be pushed to play good defense in the playoffs and in big games... no such luck with these guys who just don't have the legs or defensive ability period.

Curious you mentioned these guys:

Love? No defense.

Westbrook - nearing 30 in 2017 when he's a free agent, racking up a bunch of injuries too.

Durant - of course. (but Kobe's expiring would have given a slot for that).

Well, it's moot anyways. Kobe/Pau/Melo certainly wouldn't be a championship team but likely a playoff team.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

You sure they would have had enough money for Swaggy and Hill?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
You sure they would have had enough money for Swaggy and Hill?

Hill at 9 no.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

No, neither actually.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: