Free Agency and the Lakers(melo..melo..melo)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

What you see with Knicks is exactly why I'm glad we didn't sign him. I know he's great but even though the NBA market says he's a max player, I would rather he be a max player for another team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
No, neither actually.

Would Swaggy play for the room exception? Maybe.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

Love is MUCH better than both Hill and Boozer defensively in the block. He's not a good defender by any means... but he's better.

Westbrook will be 28 in the summer of 2017 and turning 29 that November... still young enough. We'll see if he gets over the injuries in the next couple of years.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

With some rounding...

Summer 2014

23,500,000 Kobe
22,000,000 Melo
3,234,000 Nash (Stretched - Year 1)
2,997,360 Randle

Nine roster spots to fill with roughly $11,300,000 to spend plus a Room Exception.

A team perhaps good enough to give the Suns a Pick in the 11 - 15 range in the 2015 Draft.

In Summer 2015, the numbers for Kobe, Melo and Randle would move upward coupled with an expected bump in the Salary Cap.

The trade for Lin wouldn't have been made, so the Lakers would be without a First Round pick.

Summer 2015

25,000,000 Kobe
22,875,000 Melo
3,234,000 Nash (Stretched - Year 2)
3,132,240 Randle

If the Salary Cap is set at $68 million next Summer, that would allow for almost $14 million to spend on nine roster spots and likely a Room Exception again.

The prognosis for the 2015 - 2016 season would be a roster somewhat similar to the 2014 - 2015 roster and thus a pick for the Lakers in the 11 -15 range in the 2016 Draft.

Summer 2016

0 Kobe
24,500,000 Melo
3,234,000 Nash (Stretched - Final Year)
3,267,120 Randle
2,000,000 First Round Pick 2016

If the Salary Cap comes in at $80 million, that would be about $49 million to spend on nine roster spots and likely a Room Exception again.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

Just look at what adding another shot creator/maker has already done for the reeling Lakers in 2 games that they would have otherwise lost.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Free Agency and the Lakers(melo..melo..melo)

magickobe24 wrote:
So... the knicks are 3-10

the lakers are....3-9

Melo had a choice to join forces with kobe, nick young,
,(we still would've had boozer for cheap, price for cheap, and ed davis for cheap)

Ask yourself what would the lakers record be with Melo, kobe, Nick, Boozer, Ed davis, Jordan hill.

probably some where around 6-3 and 7-2.

Maybe 0-9.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Just look at what adding another shot creator/maker has already done for the reeling Lakers in 2 games that they would have otherwise lost.

I think Kobe vastly changes his game with a guy like Melo. No need for Kobe to shoot 25 times a game with Melo. Kobe would be much more energized and fresh when the game was close at the end.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
What you see with Knicks is exactly why I'm glad we didn't sign him. I know he's great but even though the NBA market says he's a max player, I would rather he be a max player for another team.
Thank you very much. This was my thing as well. I didnt make this thread saying we should have signed him. I made the thread to point out how stupid he was for signing that deal thinking he would be winning a ton of games with that team. When he could be winning games with kobe and the lakers.

But he probably just signed purely for all that money they had to pay him over any other team.

NO melo is not a worth a max contract even though technically in this nba era he's a max player. You should never give max to a player thats in his prime but isnt good enough to drag a team by himself into the playoffs in the eastern conf. gasol pulled the grizz into the offs by his lonesome. kobe did it with smush, cook, walton team. even tmac did it with the magic in the east.

This tells you that melo is not a max contract guy. and most of these nba players are not max guys.

I would pay a prime dwade the max before melo, and i hate the fact that wade cant shoot. But he showed me he could drag a team to the playoffs in the east.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

I think Kobe vastly changes his game with a guy like Melo. No need for Kobe to shoot 25 times a game with Melo. Kobe would be much more energized and fresh when the game was close at the end.

Yep. Playoff team that makes it to the 2nd round if things go right.

Sure, not a the greatest sell but if the Lakers lose their pick to the Suns, I would have preferred the Melo alternative.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

Have you seen Melo's team? They're comparable or worse than the Lakers, and guess what, they have pretty much the same record as us (and Melo is also putting up inefficient stats).

They're missing their biggest pickup this summer (Calderon). I think Boozer, Hill, Davis >>> Acy, J.Smith, Dalembert, Amare.

The perimeter players are probably in the Knicks favor with JR, Melo, Shump, and THardaway. But we have Kobe/Young/Lin.

I live in the NY area so I see how bad their team is too. Lakers aren't that much better or worse to be honest.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Have you seen Melo's team? They're comparable or worse than the Lakers, and guess what, they have pretty much the same record as us (and Melo is also putting up inefficient stats).

They're missing their biggest pickup this summer (Calderon). I think Boozer, Hill, Davis >>> Acy, J.Smith, Dalembert, Amare.

The perimeter players are probably in the Knicks favor with JR, Melo, Shump, and THardaway. But we have Kobe/Young/Lin.

I live in the NY area so I see how bad their team is too. Lakers aren't that much better or worse to be honest.

I don't watch any non-Laker games, so I'll take your word for it.

So, Fisher's triangle is of the Bermuda variety?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't watch any non-Laker games, so I'll take your word for it.

So, Fisher's triangle is of the Bermuda variety?

They "run" the Triangle but ends up being Melo/JR iso.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I prefer to think that if we had just canned/ stretched Nash in the summer... we would have had, what, $29M to work with? That could have been:

$18M for Melo.

$7M maybe for Pau (what he signed for with Bulls) - because hey, he's averaging 18 and 10 now, which is better than what we got.

$4M for Swaggy -- close to what he's getting now.

Forget Boozer -- no $3.2 cap space left.

Scraps for Davis, Price, and Johnson.

C - Pau, Sacre
PF - Melo, Davis, Kelly (IR again)
SF - Johnson, Young
SG - Kobe, Clarkson, Ellington
PG - Price, scrub, scrub

Still way better than what we have now.

Last edited by MIMLaker on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

They "run" the Triangle but ends up being Melo/JR iso.

Seriously, Bermuda Triangle's got nothing on the Knicks right now, several times per game the ball goes into Melo or JR and it goes untouched by anyone else. At least there were some successful rescue attempts in the former, not so much in NY.
automatic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Free Agency and the Lakers(melo..melo..melo)

55 wrote:
magickobe24 wrote:
So... the knicks are 3-10

the lakers are....3-9

Melo had a choice to join forces with kobe, nick young,
,(we still would've had boozer for cheap, price for cheap, and ed davis for cheap)

Ask yourself what would the lakers record be with Melo, kobe, Nick, Boozer, Ed davis, Jordan hill.

probably some where around 6-3 and 7-2.

If we played all 6 at the same time, yes.
DALAKERSRULE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

magickobe24 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
pau was going to come back it we had Melo so it would be pau/kobe/melo
no it wouldnt be worse then terrible. There is no WORSE then what we have going.

you wouldnt have to double team gasol's man on most nights. you wouldnt have to double team ed davis man with guards since he and gasol could easily cover a scoring big in the paint. what bogut did to us the other night was purely about HEIGHT/SIZE. he's so much bigger then the lakers bigmen he could just toy with them. Same with dwight. Well that wont work when you have gasol and davis in at the same time. gasol is a real 7 foot guy. doesnt matter if he's soft. 7 feet is 7 feet. especially if you have a shotblocker behind him like davis. you know what bothers blake griffin the most? height. same with Aldridge. especially if there's a shot blocker hiding in the background behind that height. the grizz would not have rebounded the ball like they did either with gasol and melo in the game.

now not only is gasol taller then most pf's. melo is taller then most sf's and very strong.

we are lacking at every spot not named sg. and thats admitting that lins defense is a lot better now then it was in the past. that doesnt mean kb is some great defender. it means at least he's the same size as guys he's going up against. its the meeks factor. you can try as hard as you like. if you're just too small. your too small. you cant overcome that. this is why booz gets abused by guys taller then him and why it bothers his offense(always has which is why the lakers would beat the jazz back in the day with gasol towering over booz at pf since bynum was playing center.

I think Kobe did a decent job covering Ariza last night for being a black hole defender as so people here tend to call him
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject:

melo is a low bbiq loser, we dodged a bullet with him
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Ehh... It's water under the bridge.

TBH, I think Melo made the decision with the thought of finishing what he started in NY. I can't begrudge him for that. Truthfully, I respect him way more for that than team-hopping and buddying up with other players.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have Nick Young at $5.2M per for 4 years than Melo at $24M. Not saying he's the same caliber of player, but they're stylistically similar, and Young represents much better value, IMO.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I'd rather have Nick Young at $5.2M per for 4 years than Melo at $24M. Not saying he's the same caliber of player, but they're stylistically similar, and Young represents much better value, IMO.

While I supported going for melo, I have to agree. And it leaves room for a 20 mil player, 2 tens, or a 15 and a five or 12 and 8 for the same money.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject:

I agree... with Melo, we could probably win all 82 games given the opposing teams lose against us.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:

I agree with you about letting another team contend with his salary. I don't agree that he's great. Not even close. Someone that can score a bunch isn't instantly granted the status of being a great player let alone a max salary player.

He doesn't deserve to be a max player at all. He's not a leader. You have to be aware of these things called teammates before that even enters the equation. He does nothing at all to make any of his teammates better unless he's injured and your name happens to be Jeremy Lin. He makes Stoudemire look like a defensive juggernaut (current version Stoudemire included). Do those sound like the qualities of a max player? I think the only reason we pursued him was to put on a show for Kobe as "an effort to improve the team." Besides, a team with those two together on the same roster would never work at all. Kobe actually cares about the team winning. Not just his "brand"... what a joke.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Melo wanted the $$$$$$$.....We were NEVER getting him so let it go. It was a blessing in disguise that we did not sign him.
automatic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Agreed.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

The Knicks have also had the much easier schedule
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: