Corporal Punishment of children by Star Athletes

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firelord_Rag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Corporal Punishment of children by Star Athletes

First we have Adrian Peterson and now allegations of Dwight Howard have come to light. He even admitted it.

Let parents be parents... a spanking here and there would be okay given that this isn't grotesque infliction of pain and suffering. I'll be honest, I was spanked as a kid. I get it some parents will resort to this.

Here is my problem with AP and DH. I understand that in some cultures and back then it was okay. However, this is what really makes me livid about them beating their kids.

Peterson and Howard have fathered MULTIPLE children with different mistresses. They are usually always on the road leaving offspring in their wake sometimes in cities and states faraway from their own home. Now imagine if you were in these kids shoes. You are told that your father is star athlete who isn't even married to your mom. You are in a non-stable environment where daddy can't always be there for you. For example, AP has been known to fly his kids in town to hang out without their moms. The problem is that at most their children only see their dads a couple times each year. Can they really be a fatherly figure? How close can they really be to their dad?

Imagine if you were a kid going to visit a grown 6 ft+ man who only has contact with you a couple times each year. Not only that but this man decides that his "favorite" son named AP jr was wronged by his other kid who is really too young to know right from wrong. This man then decides that it is within his right to beat you senseless in order to "discipline" you. I'm sure the trauma is certain to leave some sort of ptsd. As a mother, would you not be frightened by this? This stranger who decided to knock you up one night a couple years ago somehow decides that these few days out of the entire year he spends with his "kid" is where he will be the fatherly figure. Doesn't this sound f--ked up?

This type of corporal punishment is COMPLETELY different than normal parents doing the spanking who actually spend every single day and night with their children, living in the same house, eating dinner together everyday. This long-term stable support is what I believe differentiates corporal punishment coming from a parent who actually knows their children to a parent who barely spends any time with their kid.

What is your opinion about this?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Corporal Punishment of children by Star Athletes

Firelord_Rag wrote:
First we have Adrian Peterson and now allegations of Dwight Howard have come to light. He even admitted it.

Let parents be parents... a spanking here and there would be okay given that this isn't grotesque infliction of pain and suffering. I'll be honest, I was spanked as a kid. I get it some parents will resort to this.

Here is my problem with AP and DH. I understand that in some cultures and back then it was okay. However, this is what really makes me livid about them beating their kids.

Peterson and Howard have fathered MULTIPLE children with different mistresses. They are usually always on the road leaving offspring in their wake sometimes in cities and states faraway from their own home. Now imagine if you were in these kids shoes. You are told that your father is star athlete who isn't even married to your mom. You are in a non-stable environment where daddy can't always be there for you. For example, AP has been known to fly his kids in town to hang out without their moms. The problem is that at most their children only see their dads a couple times each year. Can they really be a fatherly figure? How close can they really be to their dad?

Imagine if you were a kid going to visit a grown 6 ft+ man who only has contact with you a couple times each year. Not only that but this man decides that his "favorite" son named AP jr was wronged by his other kid who is really too young to know right from wrong. This man then decides that it is within his right to beat you senseless in order to "discipline" you. I'm sure the trauma is certain to leave some sort of ptsd. As a mother, would you not be frightened by this? This stranger who decided to knock you up one night a couple years ago somehow decides that these few days out of the entire year he spends with his "kid" is where he will be the fatherly figure. Doesn't this sound f--ked up?

This type of corporal punishment is COMPLETELY different than normal parents doing the spanking who actually spend every single day and night with their children, living in the same house, eating dinner together everyday. This long-term stable support is what I believe differentiates corporal punishment coming from a parent who actually knows their children to a parent who barely spends any time with their kid.

What is your opinion about this?

Now those are reasonable points. I agree with you. Context is important. Those dudes having babies and then not being there to raise them.....

As you know, although men enjoy the vast amount of privilege in our society, one area where we are at an extreme disadvantage is child custody, When I think how hard I had to fight just to have joint custody of my children, when that should have been a given, and how sad it makes me when they don't sleep in my house, it just amazes me that people have children and see them so infrequently.

I remember telling my now ex wife that I would spend every single penny I had as well as every penny I would make in the future before she'd turn me into a part time, Disney dad.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: