Kobe putting up most points per game at his advanced age
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magic2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
deal wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Bladers wrote:
You see this is the problem.
A guy lauches 30 shots a game while shooting 35/36%
and gets praised.

i mean what the heck?

if he was shooting 50 shots and only hitting at a 1% clip. some of you will just find something to praise him on. its disgusting.

He needs to calm down and let the hand of the trigger. play like he did pre injury post allstar. dominated with a slew of gamewinners. yet calm cool and collected.

As soon as the Lakers FO punted this season away and surrounded Kobe with a worst roster than last year, he set his mind on chasing the scoring record.

I don't mind that thinking at all because this team is not winning a championship. Kobe shooting, scoring, keeping games close and entertaining is the only thing we have to look forward to.

Dilusional fans who actually think there is a shot at a title will complain about his shots, but realist will just enjoy the ride.

Another fun fun night...yep

Watch the highlights. All of the nights are fun then. But seriously, if you've trouble with Kobe being Kobe, or not conceding to age or injury, then, you never really enjoyed to the fullest what Kobe brought/brings to the basketball table. He is who he is and will always be.

He reminds me of Theloneous Monk. He played his style of Jazz Piano when people thought he was crazy and he played the same way when he was the most important Jazz musician in the World save perhaps John Coltrane and he played the same way when the Jazz World had seemingly passed him by.

But T. Monk is legend. Kobe is legend. Too bad so many can't appreciate that.

Kobe is legend, but that doesn't mean he is playing like one now.

Achilles tear, broken leg, 19th season, leading the league in scoring. Uh, yes he is.

I don't think Kobe would agree with you on that.

Of course he wouldn't. And he wouldn't have after 2005-2006 either.

Comparing this season to his 2005-2006 season makes my head hurt.

It just feels like him trying to play this way is emphasizing his flaws instead of being a graceful presentation of what he still can do. Like Nowitzki and Tim Duncan are still playing very good but I think they would both look really inefficient if they still tried to play their old way.

Yep. Duncan has been pretty bad in iso-post up situations the last 3 years. He changed his game by moving more without the ball and working on his mid-range jumper to use in the pick-and-pop with Spur guards.

Kobe still thinks we're in 2006. It's not even about him passing. It's about him not taking 10 to 15 twenty foot fadeaway jumpers each game.

He can move without the ball fairly well, so he should be looking to get more easy buckets off motion and he should also add the spot up corner three to his offense for drive-and-kick situations from Lin penetration. And he shouldn't be the primary ball handler, ever.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

The fact that some of you think this inefficiency/horrible shooting percentage is "normal" is honestly really f'ing scary. 41% or 42% would be an awful shooting percentage. The fact that he knows how bad he's playing, and he keeps shooting, just highlights his selfishness - the guy isn't even a league average player at this point - at least league average players don't hurt the team like he does, because they don't take an insane amount of inefficient shots, and detract from overall team play.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Frankly these threads are more entertaining than the actual chuck fest games. Keep them going boys!
terpski
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

terpski wrote:
Kobe is a great player, but all the great players changed their games later in their careers. Even Michael Jordan changed his game and took less shots later in his career.

You need to go back over MJ's career stats.

In MJ's last 2 years with the Wizards, he had 1,324 (2001-2002) and 1,527 (2002-2003) field goal attempts a year. In the previous 3 years with the Bulls, he averaged almost 1,900 field attempts a year.
Magic2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
deal wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Bladers wrote:
and gets praised.

i mean what the heck?

if he was shooting 50 shots and only hitting at a 1% clip. some of you will just find something to praise him on. its disgusting.

He needs to calm down and let the hand of the trigger. play like he did pre injury post allstar. dominated with a slew of gamewinners. yet calm cool and collected.

As soon as the Lakers FO punted this season away and surrounded Kobe with a worst roster than last year, he set his mind on chasing the scoring record.

I don't mind that thinking at all because this team is not winning a championship. Kobe shooting, scoring, keeping games close and entertaining is the only thing we have to look forward to.

Dilusional fans who actually think there is a shot at a title will complain about his shots, but realist will just enjoy the ride.

Watch the highlights. All of the nights are fun then. But seriously, if you've trouble with Kobe being Kobe, or not conceding to age or injury, then, you never really enjoyed to the fullest what Kobe brought/brings to the basketball table. He is who he is and will always be.

He reminds me of Theloneous Monk. He played his style of Jazz Piano when people thought he was crazy and he played the same way when he was the most important Jazz musician in the World save perhaps John Coltrane and he played the same way when the Jazz World had seemingly passed him by.

Achilles tear, broken leg, 19th season, leading the league in scoring. Uh, yes he is.

On historically bad shooting efficiency, while playing some of the worst perimeter defense in the league.

And?

You keep citing Kobe's PPG as evidence of his effectiveness (or something else).

I don't care how many points you score. There is nothing effective or impressive about scoring 26 points on 37% shooting and a near 40 usage rate, while having a 118 defensive rating. All Kobe's "PPG" is doing is masking just how bad he is really playing this season.

The way Kobe is playing basketball shouldn't be celebrated. It should be decried.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject:

terpski wrote:
terpski wrote:
Kobe is a great player, but all the great players changed their games later in their careers. Even Michael Jordan changed his game and took less shots later in his career.

In MJ's last 2 years with the Wizards, he had 1,324 (2001-2002) and 1,527 (2002-2003) field goal attempts a year. In the previous 3 years with the Bulls, he averaged almost 1,900 field attempts a year.

Of course you failed to mention that MJ played 82 games each year in his last 3 seasons with the Bulls, starting in all 82 in those....meanwhile when he was on the Wizards, he only played 60 games (started in 53) in 2001-2002, and played 82 games (started in 67) in his final season (2002-2003)....so less games played means fewer FG attempts.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
deal wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Bladers wrote:
and gets praised.

i mean what the heck?

It just feels like him trying to play this way is emphasizing his flaws instead of being a graceful presentation of what he still can do. Like Nowitzki and Tim Duncan are still playing very good but I think they would both look really inefficient if they still tried to play their old way.

I guess you and the others care about efficiency. That's the common refrain. That's just not important to me. What's important are pressure on the D, relentlessness, art, gracefulness, dominance, etc. In effect the game inside the game. I guess you could fault me for not caring about "team ball" but without a superstar to wow me, basketball is just another game. May as well watch soccer as watch the Spurs.

Kobe isn't exhibiting any of those things at a high level in my eyes but I see where you're coming from now so I see why we disagree.

I love watching team sports. Some people like individual sports like boxing or tennis. Basketball has aspects of both. For me, watching a team like the spurs or mavericks move the ball and carve their opponents up as a team is much prettier than what the Lakers are doing right now.
terpski
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
terpski wrote:
terpski wrote:

Of course you failed to mention that MJ played 82 games each year in his last 3 seasons with the Bulls, starting in all 82 in those....meanwhile when he was on the Wizards, he only played 60 games (started in 53) in 2001-2002, and played 82 games (started in 67) in his final season (2002-2003)....so less games played means fewer FG attempts.

Yeah, he played in less games in 2001-2002, but how do you explain 2002-2003? He went from almost 1900 shots in the last few years with the Bulls to 1,527 shots with the Wizards in 2002-2003 playing a full 82 game schedule.
Magic2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
deal wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Bladers wrote:
and gets praised.

i mean what the heck?

I guess you and the others care about efficiency. That's the common refrain. That's just not important to me. What's important are pressure on the D, relentlessness, art, gracefulness, dominance, etc. In effect the game inside the game. I guess you could fault me for not caring about "team ball" but without a superstar to wow me, basketball is just another game. May as well watch soccer as watch the Spurs.

Kobe isn't exhibiting any of those things at a high level in my eyes but I see where you're coming from now so I see why we disagree.

I love watching team sports. Some people like individual sports like boxing or tennis. Basketball has aspects of both. For me, watching a team like the spurs or mavericks move the ball and carve their opponents up as a team is much prettier than what the Lakers are doing right now.

This.

Great team ball demonstrates those adjectives far better than any individual can ever demonstrate them.

KobeClifford not being a fan of "team ball" tells me he wasn't around to watch Showtime. The Lakers have always been a team first club, which is why watching Kobe chuck this team to 20 point losses in pursuit of personal accolades is anything but "graceful" and "artful."

But I guess it's good from a tanking perspective, so I grudgingly support it since I want the Lakers to lose games this year.

I just hope Kobe doesn't stick around after his contract is up, when we're sincerely trying to rebuild. And if he does, it better be for a massive discount and an acceptance of a reduced role, like off the bench.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:

This.

Great team ball demonstrates those adjectives far better than any individual can ever demonstrate them.

KobeClifford not being a fan of "team ball" tells me he wasn't around to watch Showtime. The Lakers have always been a team first club, which is why watching Kobe chuck this team to 20 point losses in pursuit of personal accolades is anything but "graceful" and "artful."

But I guess it's good from a tanking perspective, so I grudgingly support it since I want the Lakers to lose games this year.

I just hope Kobe doesn't stick around after his contract is up, when we're sincerely trying to rebuild. And if he does, it better be for a massive discount and an acceptance of a reduced role, like off the bench.

https://vine.co/v/OJ0u5zMiKwF

^^This is anything but graceful as a matter of fact it is disgraceful

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc

Last edited by Andre2K on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magic2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

This.

^^This is anything but graceful as a matter of fact it is disgraceful[/quote]

B-B-But is demonstrates Kobe's will to win!
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Magic2Kobe wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:

This.

Add to the fact that we were only down by 9 at that point, if he had worked for a better shot, his teammate could've had a shot at getting an offensive rebound and put back or maybe an and1 then we only down 6 or 7, all of a sudden we have the momentum. Teammates are energized and are playing defense. But that shot right there just demoralizes the team and you can't blame them for not being energized enough to play defense.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject:

This is exactly what I expected from a reasonably healthy Kobe. Let the chuckfest continue. Tank on!
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:

This.

Add to the fact that we were only down by 9 at that point, if he had worked for a better shot, his teammate could've had a shot at getting an offensive rebound and put back or maybe an and1 then we only down 6 or 7, all of a sudden we have the momentum. Teammates are energized and are playing defense. But that shot right there just demoralizes the team and you can't blame them for not being energized enough to play defense.

And he was 0-7 and he had just checked back in the game! If it was a heat check or if the clock was expiring I could understand it but even Stu Lantz criticized Kobe for that shot.

I know some people say Kobe is Kobe and he won 5 times like this but he did NOT win rings playing like this. He won them playing a very balanced game.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:

This.

Lol the team was blowing defensive assignments before that shot after that shot. One moment does not define a game when you get blownout like the lakers did tonight. Period. Hyperbole like your post is unnecessary.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:

This.

Lol the team was blowing defensive assignments before that shot after that shot. One moment does not define a game when you get blownout like the lakers did tonight. Period. Hyperbole like your post is unnecessary.

That shot that Kobe took was unnecessary.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:

This.

I didn't say it wasn't but the point of my post was to not frame it like that's the reason why we lost the game.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject:

This is the worst shot selection decision making process that I've seen in Kobe's entire career. Half his shots are contested or over double teams. A play in the 3rd quarter epitomizes my annoyance with him this year. He rises with two guys in his grill including Lin's man, all he has to do is kick back to Lin. He doesn't, shot is a brick, Mavs get the ball and Parsons does exactly what I wanted Kobe to do. He rises, but kicks to open Dirk, then he cuts, Dirk gives it back to him for a dunk. Basic fundamentally ball movement and cutting.

What he's doing is relatively impressive for a guy his age. I don't think T-Mac could launch 24 shots a game at this age. But just because you can doesn't mean you should. And at 37%, maybe there is a reason why a 36 year old shouldn't launch 24 shots a game. There are only two coaches in this league that can discipline Kobe, PJ and Pop. Byron Scott can't do crap.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:

This.

I didn't say it wasn't but the point of my post was to not frame it like that's the reason why we lost the game.

If you read my post carefully you will see that I didn't frame it like its the reason why we lost. But launching a shot like that when we're only down 9 doesn't help matters but makes it even worse. Because everybody on the team is no longer concentrating on the game or on defense when they're busy thinking dayum really Kobe

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:

This.

If you read my post carefully you will see that I didn't frame it like its the reason why we lost. But launching a shot like that when we're only down 9 doesn't help matters but makes it even worse. Because everybody on the team is no longer concentrating on the game or on defense when they're busy thinking dayum really Kobe

I think you're projecting your thoughts onto the rest of the team. I totally understand your thought process but I'm pretty sure the rest of the team is used to Kobe's shots by now as he has took crazier shots and hit them too. It was still a bad shot he shouldn't of taken though.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I think you're projecting your thoughts onto the rest of the team. I totally understand your thought process but I'm pretty sure the rest of the team is used to Kobe's shots by now as he has took crazier shots and hit them too. It was still a bad shot he shouldn't of taken though.

I wouldn't necessarily say projecting my thoughts onto the rest of the team, I do admit that I'm making assumptions here obviously I don't know what these players are thinking. But it is demoralizing nonetheless and I'm not surprised things went down hill from that point on.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:

This.

Lol @ six on the shot clock.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

His shot selection against Dallas was absolutely terrible. It's like he tried hard to break out of his shooting slump and didn't care about his teammates not getting any shots.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject:

Magic2Kobe wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
deal wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Bladers wrote:
and gets praised.

i mean what the heck?

This.

Wrong. I was there. Started watching the team in Magic's rookie season. Lived and died with the team for over a decade and loved most of all Magic's brilliance.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

This season is like watching Nate Robinson take 20 attempts to do one dunk in the dunk contest. First you start off with "wow that guy is 5'9". Then you are amazed by how athletic he is then. Then after the 18th attempt you are like "this is a bit ridiculous." Amazing yes, but yeah.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: