Why is Kobe passing MJ so important?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magic2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Why is Kobe passing MJ so important?

Who cares?

It's a cumulative all-time record and a regular season record at that. Even when Kobe passes Jordan, he'll still be behind Karl Malone, a noted choker.

Jordan still has a much better PPG and FG%, so it's not like Kobe will have proven himself to be a better scorer.

The record is utterly meaningless, especially since it's only a regular season accomplishment, something us Lakers fans have never cared about.

Kobe is killing himself pursuing it. I don't get it. I think Kobe could possibly be an effective player at 39-40, so why doesn't he limit himself to 25-28 minutes per game in these down years (which would STILL get him past Jordan) in the interest of being fresh in a couple years when the Lakers can possibly put a decent team together, and Kobe finishes his career at least in the playoffs, even if it's as an 8th seed (this franchise is years from championship contention, so there will no one last run for Kobe, but at least he'll bow out gracefully from the NBA in the post-season rather than on a lottery team, even if he's in a 6th man role at that time).

Still better than chucking for meaningless records.

Last edited by Magic2Kobe on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject:

ultimately it won't change his legacy too much.
it will just be an interesting footnote, just like the most missed field goals record.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Going ahead of Jordan in any category is huge for Kobe. Chasing Jordan's marks (points, championships, so on) is probably Kobe's biggest motivation.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Because thats the only thing he has left. He knows hes out of rings, hell never catch jordan unless he sticks around to chase one with a stacked team.

Hell say it doesnt matter, but the man is obsessed with proving, even if its by matching point total, that he is as good or better than Jordan.

The interesting thing will be after he passes jordan. Then what?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:

because it's in all great athletes competitive nature

It's like climbing a mountain because its THERE.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Because he has an inferiority complex.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject:

it matters because from a historic standpoint, it matters.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject:

It was the guy whom he modeled his game after so I guess personally its pretty damn important....to everyone else it probably doesn't matter that much.
KobeDGreatesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject:

It just matters man. How many NBA players can say they scored more than the best basketball player ever? Yeah only 3
Magic2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Because thats the only thing he has left. He knows hes out of rings, hell never catch jordan unless he sticks around to chase one with a stacked team.

Hell say it doesnt matter, but the man is obsessed with proving, even if its by matching point total, that he is as good or better than Jordan.

That's the question I'm asking.

Him gunning for this record as aggressively as he has been tells me next year is his last.

If he truly intended on playing til 40 and getting in the playoffs one last time (with the Lakers), he'd be limiting himself right now.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Magic2Kobe wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Him gunning for this record as aggressively as he has been tells me next year is his last.

If he truly intended on playing til 40 and getting in the playoffs one last time (with the Lakers), he'd be limiting himself right now.

then what? you think the world will end? Kobe will just go on playing the game... life goes on.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Why is sports important?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Who do people think Kobe is shooting a lot and playing heavy minutes just to pass MJ? He will do it even if he averaged 10 pts per game. He is trying to WIN
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Magic2Kobe wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

then what? you think the world will end? Kobe will just go on playing the game... life goes on.

Oh no. Well continue to suck bad. I know that much

The world ended when that ass clown anti Christ stern, committed one of sports most blatant biased and obvious robberies
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

Magic2Kobe wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

No, that is your conjecture. He very well may play until he's 40. He very well may be playing this number of minutes because he believes he can. What he does at the end of this contract will be determined by a number of factors I'm sure. Which game he passes MJ on points is unlikely to be any factor at all in any sphere in which he passes him. Now if you suppose that he's going after KAJ, then your post would make some sense because he knows he has to find 6000K points before his body goes.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

in reality, it's not important at all

after all, how many times do you hear "Kareem is the all time points leader" from anyone in the industry? ESPN? Anyone?
I've heard it maybe once about 3 years ago

When Kobe pass MJ, it'll get mentioned a couple of times when he does it...and the next day it'll be forgotten

In other words, it's a list no one cares about except maybe the players themselves and is pretty much completely meaningless

Kobe's fanatical fans will make a big deal out of it, but in the rest of the world it'll be forgotten pretty fast
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:

after all, how many times do you hear "Kareem is the all time points leader" from anyone in the industry? ESPN? Anyone?

When Kobe pass MJ, it'll get mentioned a couple of times when he does it...and the next day it'll be forgotten

In other words, it's a list no one cares about except maybe the players themselves and is pretty much completely meaningless

Kobe's fanatical fans will make a big deal out of it while so many "realistic fans will be petty and try to rain on their parade just because they are obsessed as obsessed with Kobe as any Kobe fan but can't admit it, but in the rest of the world it'll be forgotten pretty fast

Fixed it for you.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Even if Kobe passes Michael shooting 50% from the field, Kobe is still gonna be at least 2nd greatest of all time.
Magic2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
P.K. wrote:

Kobe's fanatical fans will make a big deal out of it while so many "realistic fans will be petty and try to rain on their parade just because they are obsessed as obsessed with Kobe as any Kobe fan but can't admit it, but in the rest of the world it'll be forgotten pretty fast

Fixed it for you.

No, it's more like we're "obsessed" with this organization moving forward.

The Lakers franchise is vastly more important than any individual player and meaningless regular season records.

And if Kobe insists on coming back after his contract is up only to catch Kareem, he'll further hold back this franchise from rebuilding.

Kobe needs to face reality and realize he isn't an elite player anymore, despite his PPG. His defense is terrible, he's turnover prone, and his iso-oriented game is antiquated.

The reason I harp on Kobe limiting himself is because he could be a very effective player in the 6th man role (in a couple years if the Lakers manage to build a decent team). His subpar defense won't be such a liability against an opponent's 2nd unit and he could provide a scoring spark, a la Jamal Crawford or Manu Ginobili.

It's a much more dignified way to go out, which also helps the Lakers, rather than using our team as means to his record chasing end.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Magic2Kobe wrote:
P.K. wrote:

Fixed it for you.

The Lakers franchise is vastly more important than any individual player and meaningless regular season records.

And if Kobe insists on coming back after his contract is up only to catch Kareem, he'll further hold back this franchise from rebuilding.

Kobe needs to face reality and realize he isn't an elite player anymore, despite his PPG. His defense is terrible, he's turnover prone, and his iso-oriented game is antiquated.

The reason I harp on Kobe limiting himself is because he could be a very effective player in the 6th man role (in a couple years if the Lakers manage to build a decent team). His subpar defense won't be such a liability against an opponent's 2nd unit and he could provide a scoring spark, a la Jamal Crawford or Manu Ginobili.

It's a much more dignified way to go out, which also helps the Lakers, rather than using our team as means to his record chasing end.

You must think you're talking to a fool.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:

Fixed it for you.

No, you fixed it for yourself
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
P.K. wrote:

Fixed it for you.

Try to do some people a favor....sheesh.
Magic2Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Magic2Kobe wrote:
P.K. wrote:

Fixed it for you.

You must think you're talking to a fool.

There comes a time when you have to let go.

And it's time to let go of the Kobe era.

You can't, because you're a Kobe first fan.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Because it's the only thing to look forward to this season until the Draft Lottery.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
P.K. wrote:

Fixed it for you.

Try to do some people a favor....sheesh.

You were not doing me a favor. You were doing a favor for yourself so you could play the persecution card - yet again.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: