"Innocence Project" Man released after 39 years wrongful incarceration.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: "Innocence Project" Man released after 39 years wrongful incarceration.

A free man: Ricky Jackson to leave prison 39 years after a boy's lie helped put him behind bars

Quote:
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Ricky Jackson is headed for freedom, 39 years after a boy lied to authorities and said Jackson and two other men killed a money-order collector at a Cleveland grocery store.

The lie helped a jury convict Jackson in 1975. He has been in prison until Tuesday, when Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty told Judge Richard McMonagle that the case against Jackson had fallen apart – based on the recantation of Eddie Vernon, who, at 12, helped build the case against Jackson. Prosecutors dismissed the case.

"The state concedes the obvious," McGinty said.

Jackson broke into loud sobs, his face buried in his handcuffed hands.

"I can't believe this is over,'' Jackson cried. He thanked his attorneys from the Ohio Innocence Project, Brian Howe and Mark Godsey, and a team of supporters. When someone called Jackson's family, his eyes, soaked from tears, beamed.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Innocence Project" Man released after 39 years wrongful incarceration.

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
A free man: Ricky Jackson to leave prison 39 years after a boy's lie helped put him behind bars

Quote:
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Ricky Jackson is headed for freedom, 39 years after a boy lied to authorities and said Jackson and two other men killed a money-order collector at a Cleveland grocery store.

The lie helped a jury convict Jackson in 1975. He has been in prison until Tuesday, when Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty told Judge Richard McMonagle that the case against Jackson had fallen apart – based on the recantation of Eddie Vernon, who, at 12, helped build the case against Jackson. Prosecutors dismissed the case.

"I can't believe this is over,'' Jackson cried. He thanked his attorneys from the Ohio Innocence Project, Brian Howe and Mark Godsey, and a team of supporters. When someone called Jackson's family, his eyes, soaked from tears, beamed.

Recommended next steps:

1. Find the kid.
2. Punch him in the balls repeatedly.
3. Put the video on YouTube.
4. Profit.
OmegaPirate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"All the information was fed to me,'' Vernon said. "I don't have any knowledge about what happened at the scene of the crime.''

Later he said, "Everything was a lie. They were all lies.''

Quote:
Cleveland police fed him information about the crime and what happened.

Quote:
Vernon said he hid the lies for years, saying the detectives told him that if he mentioned what he did, they would put his parents in prison for perjury.

This is another example of why I will never support the death penalty. Instead of being murdered by the State, this man only had 39 years of his life stolen.
39 years is a long time. I'd be paying the dirty pigs responsible for this crime a little visit.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Innocence Project" Man released after 39 years wrongful incarceration.

Quote:

Didn't click on the link. Let me guess, Jackson was poor and black.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:

OmegaPirate wrote:
Quote:
"All the information was fed to me,'' Vernon said. "I don't have any knowledge about what happened at the scene of the crime.''

Later he said, "Everything was a lie. They were all lies.''

Quote:
Cleveland police fed him information about the crime and what happened.

Quote:
Vernon said he hid the lies for years, saying the detectives told him that if he mentioned what he did, they would put his parents in prison for perjury.

This is another example of why I will never support the death penalty. Instead of being murdered by the State, this man only had 39 years of his life stolen.
39 years is a long time. I'd be paying the dirty pigs responsible for this crime a little visit.

Yep, support the death penalty and you support state sponsored murder.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Innocence Project" Man released after 39 years wrongful incarceration.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:

Quote:

Didn't click on the link. Let me guess, Jackson was poor and black.

Yes. Really had me working hard to keep my revengometer in check... But the Detectives MUST be indicted and forced to live 39 years behind bars no questions asked. That is the only way to cure this (bleep). It is the right way..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: