Eye Opening Laker Stats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
terpski wrote:
According to ESPN, the Lakers are +20 with Kobe on the bench and -120 with Kobe on the floor.

True Hoop TV' s Tom Haberstroh

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/71255/kobes-shot-selection-ailing-lakers

Eh, you should know better not to listen to Henry Abbott and Truehoop. Kobe shares the floor with Boozer and Wes Johnson.

And Kobe is shooting a lower percentage than both of them.

Which completely throws the "who do you want him to pass to" argument out the window.

Not sure why that's relevant. Boozer has the worst defensive efficiency on the team and Wes is terrible on both sides of the ball on most nights. Plus you have Ed Davis being the best two way player on the team coming off the bench, and a team that really does well in garbage time. You really can't tell anything from a +/- stat and it's obvious that Abbott is just using it for his own agenda, as we all know.

There is no statistic that reflects positively on Kobe right now, agenda or otherwise. His TS% is good for 249th in the league, behind Rondo and Tony Allen.

To those who say Kobe is "teaching" the young guys how to play this game (or "play chess"), what is he teaching them? A form of basketball that will die when he retires? What is anyone learning from him right now?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Kobe's play right now, but for all the wrong reasons. We need to keep our draft pick for next year, and Kobe playing 1993 basketball is our best hope for that. Unfortunately it means we are going to be even worse next year (and we have no number one pick after that no matter how bad we do) than we are this year, because I don't see any impactful players wanting to come here, or really any one-year players unless they want to see their stats/value murdered.
nashftw
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject:

[quote="pjiddy"][quote="angrypuppy"][quote="greenfrog"][quote="angrypuppy"]
pjiddy wrote:
An entirely midranged-based game is going to produce sub-par results. That's why virtually the entire NBA, save for the Lakers, has moved away from it. Kobe and Byron aren't playing chess. Hell, they're not even playing checkers. They're playing senet.

The more advanced statistics are there for a reason and many teams have adopted them in varying degrees because they have proven that they work. Devoid of any subjectivity, many of these analytics are very plain to understand and very logical.

Which is why it doesn't make sense not to use the three point shot as a weapon and design plays around it just because of a desire to go "old school". Old school is great as a mindset, most especially if combined with an openness to embrace progressive ideas.

Kobe's midrange can be a deadly weapon if Scott can recognize how it can free up so many shooters on the weakside and Kobe realizes that he should pass them the ball. Just take note of our two biggest blowout losses this year and how they beat us - with the three point shot.

Scott keeps saying the three can bring you to the playoffs but will not bring you championships, but how can he justify his own style that will not even bring you to the playoffs, much less 25 wins.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Shaqman55 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Here's every NBA ranked by plus/minus this season.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nba/stats/individual-player-plus-minus-statistics/2014/

Now, scroll all the way to the bottom...

That settles it! All we gotta do is Bench Kobe, Lin and Boozer and we become contenders!!!

We have one Laker who cracked the top 100. Bless his bald cheerleading head.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject:

I think a lot of people are acting as if the coach's only role is to call timeouts and make substitutions. The offense that they run has a ton to do with a player's efficiency. In 2012 Kobe shot just 37.7% on single-covered isolation plays. He's almost the same player (other than when his legs get run out from under him)- it's just that a ton of his possessions happen to be isos in this offense.
Kobeling
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

I wish I could open Kobe's eye........

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
I think a lot of people are acting as if the coach's only role is to call timeouts and make substitutions. The offense that they run has a ton to do with a player's efficiency. In 2012 Kobe shot just 37.7% on single-covered isolation plays. He's almost the same player (other than when his legs get run out from under him)- it's just that a ton of his possessions happen to be isos in this offense.

So Mike Brown gets the credit for that?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

What's he shooting in the post this year compared to 2012? You seem like you know where to find these stats.

Larger point: I don't think there's anyway to dress up the slop he's producing on the floor this season outside of him just having the ball less.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

So Mike Brown gets the credit for that?

Credit for what? We're talking about coaches running inefficient plays like isolations, not coaches somehow being able to help a player shoot better in isolations. The fact is that Byron runs a lot of isolations for a player who was not even efficient at them before his injuries.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

What's he shooting in the post this year compared to 2012? You seem like you know where to find these stats.

Larger point: I don't think there's anyway to dress up the slop he's producing on the floor this season outside of him just having the ball less.

I don't have access to them. I can only find them if someone else publishes it. That said, I'll keep my eyes open.

EDIT: I don't have post fg% but, if we're talking about FG% close to the rim, he's shooting 41.2% this year compared to 51% in 2012, and 48.3% for his career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: