I'm sorry but constant ISO plays is not basketball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ISO basketball is Kobe basketball, so it's what we're running for the next two seasons.

Do you think if we keep playing this way, we can rule ourselves out of the FA market next year?

Who wants to come here for this? That's why I think Kobe playing for his own scoring accolades is a bad idea. We don't have assets to acquire talent. We have to do this thru free agency. Let's give the free agents a reason to want to come here.

I was in favor of it at first because I thought we needed the draft pick. But the law of unintended consequences... Boozer and Lin have already vocalized their frustration playing here. I know we're not going to cry a river when they leave next year, but it makes you wonder who really will want to come here. Randle will be a rookie/question mark, as will whomever we get in the draft. No one joins a team because of a promising draft pick. Hence why Lebron made the Cavs trade Wiggins (the #1 pick) to get Love.

The team is so clearly not a contender, there's no way a top tier talent like Gasol or Love comes here when they're still trying to win their first title. I can see maybe Rondo, but only if we offer him a max deal. He's already won a title and might be spiteful enough about not getting a max from the Celtics that he takes one here. But then what, he plays off-ball with Kobe? lol.

As bad as we are this year, we will be even worse next year. People hate on Lin and Boozer, but they're still average NBA players. Keep in mind neither signed here willfully. One was an amnesty claim and the other was traded. Mitch will have to find more guys like that next season--basically, guys brought here against their will, because this will be a terrible place to play for guys looking for new contracts the following year. Only guys getting paid and paid for a while (like Nick Young last year) will sign up. Are the Lakers going to go after midlevel talent like that or are they saving all their money for Summer of 201x? And remember, assuming we don't give our pick to the Suns this year, they get it next year, so there's no pick after next year's surely terrible season, unless it's a top 3 pick....which is certainly plausible.

Also keep in mind that both Boozer and Lin are known around the league as positive locker room guys. They generally increase morale and chemistry.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject:

godofclown wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTowOz_MFA8

Get the (bleep) out of the way!, 3 point, don't worry , I GOT THIS

I like that attitude. It's why he's great.

But coach needs to step in sometimes and say, "No Kobe. We're setting a pick for you here." or something.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: I'm sorry but constant ISO plays is not basketball

fiendishoc wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
Well it is but its not what wins games, obviously it doesn't work and kills any team concept that got you to the 4th quarter before the ISO madness takes over and everyone becomes a bystander. Obviously kobe has the green light to do whatever the hell he wants and obviously helping develop his team is not one of his objectives.

Somewhere Phil is shaking his head.. After so many years unless Phil is on the bench whistling at him Kobe still can't buy into a concept of team ball.

While I agree that ISO's are not what makes for winning basketball games, I think there's not much of any option at all anyway. Team ball looks ugly with this team because of the lack of talent. Kobe iso ball looks ugly with many misses off of insane shot attempts against 3-4 defenders while fading away and signing autographs at the same time in mid air. Its a pick your poison situation. Who would Kobe pass the ball to? Nick Young would be the only other legit offensive weapon on this team. Even at 36 Kobe is the best player on this team and they figure that they have no choice but to let him take shots because it won't matter if its teamball or iso a loss is still the result a great majority of the time.

Not really. Most of the Spurs plays for example, are not terribly complicated, and if you used them with these players, it would look a lot better than what we have now. Doesn't matter if the players are supposedly "selfish" or "unselfish" or not- the current sets just don't give them any options besides a long jump shot, or reset into a iso or pick and roll.

Spurs are in a totally different situation than the Lakers. Not a good example.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I'll say it....

Replace Kobe with Meeks and our record is (bleep) better than it is right now. I'm not even counting the extra 20 (bleep) million we could of spend to go along with Meeks with Kobe's money.

Not that I'm taking this statement seriously, but Meeks in Byron's offense would be another Ellington.

Fiend I applaud your effort, but you can't educate the willfully ignorant.

Regardless of the fact that this team has major talent gaps and an antiquated "system", fans need someone to blame. It's a witch hunt as usual.

Kobe is just an easy target for them. Last year it was MDA. Next year it will be someone else LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I'll say it....

Replace Kobe with Meeks and our record is (bleep) better than it is right now. I'm not even counting the extra 20 (bleep) million we could of spend to go along with Meeks with Kobe's money.

Not that I'm taking this statement seriously, but Meeks in Byron's offense would be another Ellington.

Regardless of the fact that this team has major talent gaps and an antiquated "system", fans need someone to blame. It's a witch hunt as usual.

Kobe is just an easy target for them. Last year it was MDA. Next year it will be someone else LOL

And why do you think they chose an antiquated system? I guess it was to cater to the strengths of Carlos Boozer...
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

showmethemoney wrote:
pkflyers wrote:
I hate when everyone is sanding around on offense

There was no movement because everyone in the building knew Kobe was going to shoot and he did. This iso-ball offense has to stop.

BUT BUT this is Kobe, he has won 5 rings playing ISO ball!!!!! Gosh am I tired of hearing this crap!!!!! Kobe is not the same anymore. He can score 44 points and the teams still loses. He gotta tame it down and try to trust his teammates. And please, folks need to quit about the lack of talent on this team. It's all about grit and hard work. Couple of games we could have won if not for the ISO ball. I am one of those people who think we are really better than our record!!!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I'll say it....

And why do you think they chose an antiquated system? I guess it was to cater to the strengths of Carlos Boozer...

Ignorance is showing yet again LOL. I was referring to the defense
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I'll say it....

Except the comment you were responding to was about "Byron's offense"... good one.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I'll say it....

Except the comment you were responding to was about "Byron's offense"... good one.

Except my comment did not mention offense. I only quoted fiend because I wanted to direct my post to him, as I see him trying to help people understand the problems with this team are far beyond Kobe.

But don't let that stop you from your uninformed witch hunt. And keep focusing on offense with a team that is dead last on D.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I'll say it....

Except my comment did not mention offense. I only quoted fiend because I wanted to direct my post to him, as I see him trying to help people understand the problems with this team are far beyond Kobe.

But don't let that stop you from your uninformed witch hunt. And keep focusing on offense with a team that is dead last on D.

Then why are you complaining in another thread right now about Byron not adopting a "modern offense"?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I'll say it....

Then why are you complaining in another thread right now about Byron not adopting a "modern offense"?

Key word being ANOTHER THREAD That was not my point here

It's also true both this offense and defense can be considered out dated
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I'll say it....

Yes, totally separate realities. Sorry to break the sacred wall (it was the next thread down).

You list the "I don't mean antiquated" offense as the #1 problem of the team BTW. So silly how people focus on that....

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I'll say it....

Yes, totally separate realities. Sorry to break the sacred wall.

You list the "I don't mean antiquated" offense as the #1 problem of the team BTW. So silly how people focus on that....

LOL I didn't list it as the number 1 priority. I simply made a list. They were numbered just to keep it organized. I could have put ABC or straight bullet points if I wanted.

If this is your reading comprehension I'd hate to see you read minds!
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I'll say it....

Yes, totally separate realities. Sorry to break the sacred wall.

LOL I didn't list it as the number 1 priority. I simply made a list. They were numbered just to keep it organized. I could have put ABC or straight bullet points if I wanted.

If this is your reading comprehension I'd hate to see you read minds!

There's a knee slapper. You really short changed yourself. That deserved 4 's. Nothing drives a point home quite like that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

PM if you still have issues. You're clogging up the thread Kermit.

My apologies to GT and 24
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
showmethemoney wrote:
pkflyers wrote:
I hate when everyone is sanding around on offense

There was no movement because everyone in the building knew Kobe was going to shoot and he did. This iso-ball offense has to stop.

BUT BUT this is Kobe, he has won 5 rings playing ISO ball!!!!! Gosh am I tired of hearing this crap!!!!! Kobe is not the same anymore. He can score 44 points and the teams still loses. He gotta tame it down and try to trust his teammates. And please, folks need to quit about the lack of talent on this team. It's all about grit and hard work. Couple of games we could have won if not for the ISO ball. I am one of those people who think we are really better than our record!!!!

But what about dat game in da 2004 huh
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

What about the rest of us?!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
22 wrote:

What about the rest of us?!

You're right I love y'all too! My apologies!
Tagurt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to see what Byron will come up with for the next two years. It's obvious he is only brought in to be our tank commander.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:

They didn't choose the antiquated system (both offense and defense) to cater to anyone. Byron is running the same stuff he always runs. And for the last few years it's always broken down into playground ball.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
They didn't choose the antiquated system (both offense and defense) to cater to anyone. Byron is running the same stuff he always runs. And for the last few years it's always broken down into playground ball.

Then why did his previous teams shoot more 3's? I'm not saying they were good 3's, off ball movement as opposed to off the dribble, but this sudden appreciation for midrange and long 2's is entirely isolated to his job with the Lakers this season.

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
bevwenz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

They why did his previous teams shoot more 3's? I'm not saying they were good 3's, off ball movement as opposed to off the dribble, but this sudden appreciation for midrange and long 2's is entirely isolated to his job with the Lakers this season.

Not some conspiracy to tank, just BScott "evolving"...just not in such a good way.

- NJ job...had his assistants do everything bball related. Frank designed the system (princeton related) and playbook and Jordan ran the practices. Players led by the star push him out

- NO job...keeps the system but his "corrective action" is to cater to his star. He uses the system from Frank/Jordan. Eventually everyone but the star rebels and he is pushed out

- Cle job...keeps some Princeton but also veers away from it more. Lots of Kyrie and Dion ISO action involved. Nothing goes right or gets fixed and he is pushed out.

- LA job...says the heck with it, gonna do it my way. If I'm going down, I'm going down my way and makes his own beliefs regarding playing for the 80's the system.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

They why did his previous teams shoot more 3's? I'm not saying they were good 3's, off ball movement as opposed to off the dribble, but this sudden appreciation for midrange and long 2's is entirely isolated to his job with the Lakers this season.

I'll try to look into this some more later, but I'm guessing Kyrie and Dion did shoot a lot of threes off isolations.
Who Takes The Blame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Scott knows the Lakers are so butt the only play is Iso Kobe
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
godofclown wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTowOz_MFA8

Get the (bleep) out of the way!, 3 point, don't worry , I GOT THIS

I like that attitude. It's why he's great.

But coach needs to step in sometimes and say, "No Kobe. We're setting a pick for you here." or something.

Yep Kobe was great, and he has a great way of anniolating his team mates...

Team for the lakers to begin to play basketball and not
Kobe ball. First the coach needs to have the Gaul to put Kobe in his place. Kobe's a player and should follow instructions like any other player...

Lol, fat chance right? That's the problem...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: