Ding: Nash key to recruiting Durant in 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Ok, most of us would agree that Durant will choose Wizards if he would want to leave. We stay no chance.
But if Durant leave, next year Westbrook will surely go. And here comes our chance.
With a Bit of luck and proper action (I mean tanking without shame) we could end in 2017 with a core of: RJax - Russ - xxx - Randle - Towns/Okafor.
Hmm not bad at all.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject:

andree wrote:
Ok, most of us would agree that Durant will choose Wizards if he would want to leave. We stay no chance.
But if Durant leave, next year Westbrook will surely go. And here comes our chance.
With a Bit of luck and proper action (I mean tanking without shame) we could end in 2017 with a core of: RJax - Russ - xxx - Randle - Towns/Okafor.
Hmm not bad at all.

exactly.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject:

slow day in Lakertown when you start creating news about 2016, Durant and Steve Nash.

Reporters are great. When there is no news, you just have to create it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If the lakers don't put together a compelling roster for him to join I doubt Durant comes here.

Agreed, and I think that's the point. Nash pitching to Durant would only be one piece, but the Lakers need to put something together for him to come to by then.

But if you want to see Nash and Durant already talking about the roads to greatness there's already a video

Yes, I agree 100% with Ding on this one.

Also, Nash's planned return.

Nash has already had breakfast with Mitch where they discussed many things as well as Nash's return and the Lakers have been giving him as much space as he needs and Nash will be returning to the team when he is ready.

Quote:

He had a breakfast meeting with general manager Mitch Kupchak last week, according to team spokesman John Black. The upshot is that Nash will be around the team at some point this season.

"He's planning to come around when he's ready," Black said.

That has been the Lakers' hope, although it was a clear secondary priority to giving Nash the time and space to come to grips with the undesirable end to his season—and almost certainly his career.

Small things like that do matter, even if they aren't working out in the current scheme of things.

I figured Nash's absence was, at least partly, due to just needing to get away from it all. People often take vacations and need to blow off steam after ending relationships that lasted a year. Yet people here were (selfishly) griping about how Nash wasn't giving their favorite basketball team enough. Not realizing that while we're simply dealing with the relatively minor inconvenience of our favorite team sucking, he's dealing with something he's committed his life to for 30 years being taken away. And there being nothing within his power to end that chapter of his life in a way that was remotely satisfying. Honestly, I wouldn't have blamed Nash for never coming back again and being done with hoop. But I'm glad that it seems the Lakers organization did enough right by him that he's willing to return the favor.

Agreed!
Firelord_Rag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject:

LMAO ... Empty promises. Nash has completely zero bearing on Durant and the Lakers community. Living in LA is not in anyway equal to being part of the LAKERS franchise. PJ is in New York and he's given more to our organization then Nash ever will!

Great fictional piece written by Ding at the beginning. I guess OP forgot to include the most relevant information. Please don't take the fan-fiction written by Ding as truth.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — It's July 2016, and a smiling, comfortable and confident Kevin Durant appears at his introductory news conference. He holds up the purple-and-gold No. 35 jersey that he says would be an absolute honor someday to fall into the illustrious line of retired numbers after No. 32 Magic Johnson, No. 33 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and No. 34 Shaquille O'Neal.

Durant says, yes, he did consult with Kobe Bryant during the Los Angeles Lakers' free-agent recruiting pitch—and Bryant passionately delivered the company line that the Lakers treat their superstars in a special way.

But then Durant pauses and adds that he spoke to someone else who was even more persuasive to that end.

One of the absolute worst Lakers superstars of them all with regard to what he actually gave the organization, Steve Nash explained to his friend Durant how the Lakers treated him in a completely first-class way despite the crushing and repeated disappointments he brought to the franchise...and you can tell a lot more about how people treat you in tough times than in glorious ones.

There will be no happy en
Firelord_Rag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject:

Firelord_Rag wrote:
LMAO ... Empty promises. Nash has completely zero bearing on Durant and the Lakers community. Living in LA is not in anyway equal to being part of the LAKERS franchise. PJ is in New York and he's given more to our organization then Nash ever will!

Great fictional piece written by Ding at the beginning. I guess OP forgot to include the most relevant information. Please don't take the fan-fiction written by Ding as truth.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — It's July 2016, and a smiling, comfortable and confident Kevin Durant appears at his introductory news conference. He holds up the purple-and-gold No. 35 jersey that he says would be an absolute honor someday to fall into the illustrious line of retired numbers after No. 32 Magic Johnson, No. 33 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and No. 34 Shaquille O'Neal.

Durant says, yes, he did consult with Kobe Bryant during the Los Angeles Lakers' free-agent recruiting pitch—and Bryant passionately delivered the company line that the Lakers treat their superstars in a special way.

But then Durant pauses and adds that he spoke to someone else who was even more persuasive to that end.

One of the absolute worst Lakers superstars of them all with regard to what he actually gave the organization, Steve Nash explained to his friend Durant how the Lakers treated him in a completely first-class way despite the crushing and repeated disappointments he brought to the franchise...and you can tell a lot more about how people treat you in tough times than in glorious ones.

By the way... if you want to talk about someone who is committed to their community look no further than Pau Gasol. Despite living in Chicago, he routinely gives back to the kids of LA. Now that is dedication.

Can't say the same about Nash unfortunately and the "future". Remember how he promised/predicted he would be playing for the Lakers majority of games last season and this season. Thats how empty promises are made. And to give him CREDIT for the supposed potential of giving back to the community in the FUTURE is pure ridiculous.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

If Durant leaves which I think he will, there's no doubt that Westbrook will be a Laker. He probably will be traded during the 2016 season because the Thunder will be in total rebuild. Westbrook and Derozan are the two stars that we have a realistic chance at getting.
Rugbar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject:

Firelord_Rag wrote:
Firelord_Rag wrote:

Quote:

By the way... if you want to talk about someone who is committed to their community look no further than Pau Gasol. Despite living in Chicago, he routinely gives back to the kids of LA. Now that is dedication.

Can't say the same about Nash unfortunately and the "future". Remember how he promised/predicted he would be playing for the Lakers majority of games last season and this season. Thats how empty promises are made. And to give him CREDIT for the supposed potential of giving back to the community in the FUTURE is pure ridiculous.

I like Nash but agree that the fictional lede is ridiculous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
If Durant leaves which I think he will, there's no doubt that Westbrook will be a Laker. He probably will be traded during the 2016 season because the Thunder will be in total rebuild. Westbrook and Derozan are the two stars that we have a realistic chance at getting.

If Westbrook is the target post-KD, then no need to burn precious assets to get him when all you have to do is wait one season.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

If Westbrook is the target post-KD, then no need to burn precious assets to get him when all you have to do is wait one season.
Agree, I do think we should wait until 2017 but you know sometimes the Lakers are impatient. When a star is made available in a trade they usually get him. If he's not traded to us it'll be to someone else, but he'll still get to choose where he goes in FA and it'll be most likely the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Agree, I do think we should wait until 2017 but you know sometimes the Lakers are impatient. When a star is made available in a trade they usually get him. If he's not traded to us it'll be to someone else, but he'll still get to choose where he goes in FA and it'll be most likely the Lakers.

For example, say it's 2016 and we cap space and a developing Okafor or Randle. Why in the world should we trade one of them and cap space for a player that will be a free agent in 2017? (I'd actually want to monitor to see if Russ can stay healthy too).
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject:

Mitch wouldn't trade Randle or top 5 pick if both have the potential to be stars. He would find a way to get Westbrook probably in a 3 team deal just like he did Howard. That's why it's good to get as many assets as possible so if a trade is available, we can get him.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject:

get durant and klay to play with randle/young/davis... realize how bad westbrook and harden really are.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
get durant and klay to play with randle/young/davis... realize how bad westbrook and harden really are.

Klay just signed a long-term extension.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

I think the Ding article is a play-out of the idea espoused by guys like Luca Brasi about the FO trying to sell to prospective agents, an idea that the franchise takes care of its players. Some recent examples (and yes there are less positive ones too):

1. Ronny Turiaf: heart surgery before he played a single minute;
2. How the FO treated Nash during his injury-ravaged stay with the Lakers;
3. awarding Kobe the highest contract despite being 36 and 37 and off a major injury;
(and others).

In an era of where the CBA and penny pinching owners commoditize players, I guess the Lakers selling point is that it takes care of its big-time stars. That Durant wouldn't have to worry about having a key player (Harden) auctioned for 40 cents on the dollar because they refused to eat Perkins' contract via amnesty and didn't want to pay luxury tax.

I get it. Whether that pitch is more compelling than having a great team in place for Durant (and the hope is we can do so)? Who knows.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

The lakers r freaking trying wvery other venue then the one that actually matters: product on the court.

Enough with this loyalty BS and how we treat our superstars or the dying ones like nash

Put some effort on putting best product on the court instead
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
The lakers r freaking trying wvery other venue then the one that actually matters: product on the court.

Enough with this loyalty BS and how we treat our superstars or the dying ones like nash

Put some effort on putting best product on the court instead

I agree we missed the mark badly this summer.

But talking about the here and now, what can they do this season? If they try to marginally improve (and shed future assets for it), then it hurts our chances to get a top 5 pick. So the team needs to continue its stealth tank, all the while pushing other off-the-court benefits such as how they treated Kobe/Nash. They have no other choices right now in 2014.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
Durant coming here is a massive pipe-dream, and always will be, but if this is true, then Nash gets even more respect from me. Thanks Steve.

I agree Durant is deep rooted in OKC they're not going to let him go. People here are living the Mitch and Jimbo dream. You don't have to go for the home run you try to build a decent team around good FA's and then you slowly build the reputation. Stop with the one year D-league rentals, and building around the idea of tanking and the draft is a failure. It's fools gold and could take 10 years, unless you're lucky and hit the lottery.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

It doesn't matter who unrolls the red carpet, the first order of business is to fix the roster. Stars want to play with stars or at least potential stars, so it would really help if we retained our pick to supplement the presence of Randle. I am skeptical that a retired player is going to be a tremendous asset, sometimes living legends court players for their franchise but I doubt it plays a decisive role.

Call me cynical, but I see this as an attempt by Nash to cleanse his recently battered image.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
It doesn't matter who unrolls the red carpet, the first order of business is to fix the roster. Stars want to play with stars or at least potential stars, so it would really help if we retained our pick to supplement the presence of Randle. I am skeptical that a retired player is going to be a tremendous asset, sometimes living legends court players for their franchise but I doubt it plays a decisive role.

Call me cynical, but I see this as an attempt by Nash to cleanse his recently battered image.

No doubt. But it's nevertheless part of the underlying argument for the FO's decisions concerning Kobe/Nash. That will be put to the test these upcoming off seasons.

And I totally agree that we need to build the infrastructure. Stop trying to go for home runs every time, whiff, then put together a placeholder team. We have no institutional knowledge besides Kobe, and what's that getting us this season?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

This whole thing is a hypothetical? Wow.

At the moment I have Washington as the most likely destination for KD when his contract is up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
The Wizards will be the heavy favorites to get Durant. They have Wall(top 5 PG), Beal(top 5 SG), and Gortat at C. I don't think there's anything the Lakers could do to convince Durant to come here.

Even if we make the playoffs that won't be enough. The Wizards just have a better roster and they're in a easier conference, it's also his hometown team. We just have to build through the draft and hope to find a star, that's the only way we will be great in the next five years.

Durant is a Thunder for the next few years, no one else is a heavy favorite to get him.
The Wizards have a great roster and his high school coach is there. He's only under contract for one more year with the Thunder, the Wizards have a better chance then just about anyone. There's not a better roster out there then Wall, Beal, and Gortat for Durant. The west is too tough, this will be the Warriors conference for the next 5 years. East is a easier path for Durant to win.

I know why you think that he should go to the Wizards, but that isn't the same as him leaving the Thunder. They have had more success than the Wizards have.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Impatient is the exact opposite of the word I would use to describe the Laker FO. But the last time Westbrook's contract was up he really wanted to be a Laker. But not enough to give up millions, and I don't blame him for that.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
The Wizards will be the heavy favorites to get Durant. They have Wall(top 5 PG), Beal(top 5 SG), and Gortat at C. I don't think there's anything the Lakers could do to convince Durant to come here.

Even if we make the playoffs that won't be enough. The Wizards just have a better roster and they're in a easier conference, it's also his hometown team. We just have to build through the draft and hope to find a star, that's the only way we will be great in the next five years.

Durant is a Thunder for the next few years, no one else is a heavy favorite to get him.
The Wizards have a great roster and his high school coach is there. He's only under contract for one more year with the Thunder, the Wizards have a better chance then just about anyone. There's not a better roster out there then Wall, Beal, and Gortat for Durant. The west is too tough, this will be the Warriors conference for the next 5 years. East is a easier path for Durant to win.

I know why you think that he should go to the Wizards, but that isn't the same as him leaving the Thunder. They have had more success than the Wizards have.

What happens if OKC lets RJax go b/c they don't want to pay him $12-14m a year?

I think it's Wiz, OKC.....field at this point.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:
Durant coming here is a massive pipe-dream, and always will be, but if this is true, then Nash gets even more respect from me. Thanks Steve.

I agree Durant is deep rooted in OKC they're not going to let him go. People here are living the Mitch and Jimbo dream. You don't have to go for the home run you try to build a decent team around good FA's and then you slowly build the reputation. Stop with the one year D-league rentals, and building around the idea of tanking and the draft is a failure. It's fools gold and could take 10 years, unless you're lucky and hit the lottery.

So we don't go for the big stars and we don't try to draft future stars. Disregarding a total lack of understanding of the CBA, we are supposed to build a winner around signing good but not great FAs? Sorry man, it doesn't work that way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: