Where can you get essay/personal statement assistance?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Where can you get essay/personal statement assistance?

First of all, I'm NOT looking for anyone to actually DO my personal statements. They are both finished - My UC apps are actually completely done, I'm just waiting until I'm good with my essays to submit them. I'm applying to UCI, UCD, UCSD, UCSB as a computer science major. Usually, if I need help with any kind of math or programming issues, it's very easy to get help - you just ask about the issue in the appropriate forum, but with essays, I am not going to post them online. My two friends who I asked are a computer science major and a biochemistry major, so they're not a ton of help.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas, and yes, I did procrastinate a little, but it could be worse - I could be asking this on the deadline (this Sunday), as I'm sure many will.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject:

I used to do paid essay editing on the side, however I was more content than grammar. There are several professional PS editing services you can try, like EssayEdge. All will likely cost you $100-200. You can also try the English department bulletin board at any nearby university for flyers, which will usually be about half of the professional services.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject:

^Thanks, man. It's funny because I used to be excellent at writing essays (still think I'm pretty good). There's just so many math, hard science and programming classes that you have to take.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
^Thanks, man. It's funny because I used to be excellent at writing essays (still think I'm pretty good). There's just so many math, hard science and programming classes that you have to take.

Well, even with those classes, if you're going to a university, they do expect you to be well-rounded, which means well written essays in required English courses. If your deadline is Sunday, you better get started sending them out for any edits. At best, you'll incur a gargantuan extra charge, I used to charge triple for emergency cases under 1 week. At worst, they won't get to you in time or will do a poor rushed job.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Well, even with those classes, if you're going to a university, they do expect you to be well-rounded, which means well written essays in required English courses. If your deadline is Sunday, you better get started sending them out for any edits. At best, you'll incur a gargantuan extra charge, I used to charge triple for emergency cases under 1 week. At worst, they won't get to you in time or will do a poor rushed job.

Fair enough - Can't really argue with what you're saying. I think I'll probably just seek out some of my other friends/classmates.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Fair enough - Can't really argue with what you're saying. I think I'll probably just seek out some of my other friends/classmates.

aren't there workshops or people you can talk to at your school for this? or is it too late? my gf's little brother just finished his last week and he had been working on it with some sort of tutor at school.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I would just bite the bullet and pay what you have to. One of my biggest regrets was writing my own essays rather than paying other people to heavily edit them for me. Would it have helped? Maybe, maybe not. But at least you eliminate the "What if" factor.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I actually did end up having someone go over, correct and enhance my two essays - I am very impressed with their work. I got a good price, and they did a great job. With all the tuition fee's, book prices, etc., what you end up paying to have excellent personal statements is really not that much at all.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I would just bite the bullet and pay what you have to. One of my biggest regrets was writing my own essays rather than paying other people to heavily edit them for me. Would it have helped? Maybe, maybe not. But at least you eliminate the "What if" factor.

Change the maybe to certainly.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

Just remember that you don't want your actual content edited too much. It should sound like it's coming from a prospective college student. Like someone said above, it's less about grammar and more about what you have to say.

I will say that I've enjoyed applying to PhD programs far more than undergrads. You have to pretend you're an "everyman" in the latter, whereas in the former you can rely on the strength of your academic resume. Especially since everyone is competitive in High School, but usually slacks off in college. Remember that if you want to go for your PhD in something...4.8 GPA high school students all slack off and get 3.0s in college...easy to beat them to get into grad school if you apply yourself!
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

@Don, it was certainly all my work. I was even considering submitting it "as is," but they made it look really good.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
@Don, it was certainly all my work. I was even considering submitting it "as is," but they made it look really good.

Cool! Best of luck to ya.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: