"Front Office still believes making 8th Seed this year more important than getting Top 5 Pick next year"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do Lakers Fans prefer?
Make the 8th Seed this Year
22%
 22%  [ 33 ]
Get a Top 5 Draft Pick next Year
77%
 77%  [ 114 ]
Total Votes : 147

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Rational fans knew this was not a playoff team long before the season started. Worse case scenario this year is to miss the playoffs(which was always guaranteed to happen), and give up a top 7 pick to PHX. At this point, I'm not sure the Lakers front office has stepped into reality yet, so I can't comment on whether this is true or not. I do know that they are keeping cap flexibility so they can lure top free agents which has always been their blueprint for success.

What they have to realize is that the game has changed. It's harder to lure free agents now, and if they are going to consider your team, they want young talent in place. The current cba changed the rules, and the sooner you figure out how to manipulate the new rules, the sooner you become relevant again.

Imagine a Randle/Okafor frontcourt (under $9m combined for a 3 years).

Imagine all the cap space it frees up to shore up other positions.

Mitch knows this. I hope they don't make any moves to improve this team for this season (though trading to get future assets is nice).

Just take this season/beating like men and women and hope there is pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject:

The front office would never admit to this, doesn't mean they're not doing it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

I answered "Get a top 5 draft pick next year"

But really, if one thinks about it, making the 8th seed would be better as it would mean winning some 50 games for the season or going 47-20 over the last 67 games (.701).

To accomplish this, the team would have to be very, very good. But then, we must revisit reality; the chance of adding the players (3? 4? 5?) who would effect this transition is nearly, if not completely, impossible.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject:

Oh my, can they be any dump & dumber 2...
HC: Riley
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

It will probably take 50 wins to get the 8th seed in the west.

No chance in hell this team goes 47-20 the rest of the year.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

I'm starting to wonder if they actually drink their own Kool-aid.
Purp&Gold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject:

What trades would you guys make to help the tank?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
F.O. doing a lot of P.R. spinning. John Black earning his money.

Yes, and there are enough gullible fans.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

It's almost like the FO is going out of their way to feed Ramona misinformation. There's no way that either Mitch or Jim is dumb enough to believe this team has any shot at getting the eighth seed. That or Jeanie, who has admitted that she thinks more with her heart at times, is feeding this stuff to Ramona.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

It's almost like the FO is going out of their way to feed Ramona misinformation. There's no way that either Mitch or Jim is dumb enough to believe this team has any shot at getting the eighth seed. That or Jeanie, who has admitted that she thinks more with her heart at times, is feeding this stuff to Ramona.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:

Of course they are, reporters will spit out anything if it makes it look like they're in the know. The lakers are 3-12 with no signs of improvement, they would have to have a hell of a turnaround to be even be remotely capable of making the playoffs. They know the situation about the pick and how important it is for this franchise moving forward.

It's just more of spouting the company line to save face. Although you can say the company line is embarrassing the company at this point.

!...
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

Smart.

They might be shoveling (bleep) to everyone, but its better to do that, than go full 76er and proclaim to the world you are tanking.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

This is a lost year, no young talent to developed and no older players worth keeping. Hopefully we can play with Lakers pride in spite of management doing a terrible job of assembling players.

Last years decent talent is playing elsewhere, Meeks, Blake, Kaman and Farmer. Instead we have Boozer, Lyn, Price and X.

Where is Jim Buss, is he out shopping for more property with TWC money and hiding behind Jeanie? Does he not have an obligation to explain the goal and vision of this team to the fans that have bought practically every thing he owns? He has the purple and gold spoon up his behind and yet shows the fans no respect. Jim Buss has zero class and is a detriment to landing star FA. That is why we ended up with last season non talent, I would have given Meeks Young' money because he showed great improvement and played defense and had speed. Kaman is better than Boozer, Blake is better than Price and X, and Farmer is a better basketball player than Lyn who does not play with basketball instincts.

It's a sad situation in Lakers Land and Jim and Jeanie are totally responsible for the mess.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
This team needs to bottom out, load up on draft picks, and finally rebuild.

The... Clippers/Warriors/Sixers have been stock-piling draft picks for years and they still haven't won anything..... are we turning into those loser-fans who don't know what winning is all about?

Exactly!!! When have the Lakers ever built through the draft?!?! Unless Magic Johnson or Tim Duncan is in next years draft, a high pick won't do anything. How's all those draft picks working out for the 76'ers? We've turned into a "Loser" franchise hoping to get lucky in the draft! It's pathetic!
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject:

History is full of promising young prospects who don't make it in this league.

If the Lakers could ACTUALLY make 8th seed given where we are right now, that would be a heck of a fun ride for the rest of this season. It would mean that team chemistry and some individual players are developing nicely. Then, a few key additions over the summer and we'd be back to having a decent team.

8th seed? Yes, I'll take that.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
This team needs to bottom out, load up on draft picks, and finally rebuild.

The... Clippers/Warriors/Sixers have been stock-piling draft picks for years and they still haven't won anything..... are we turning into those loser-fans who don't know what winning is all about?

Exactly!!! When have the Lakers ever built through the draft?!?! Unless Magic Johnson or Tim Duncan is in next years draft, a high pick won't do anything. How's all those draft picks working out for the 76'ers? We've turned into a "Loser" franchise hoping to get lucky in the draft! It's pathetic!

That sense of entitlement is what brought the Lakers down. Be humble ffs, nothing in life is guaranteed, dude. One day you're a millionaire, the next you're on skid row, Lakers gotta do what they gotta do, and right now we've to suck and act like the Warriors or Clippers of yesterday cause we messed up bad.

Giving picks for Nash like it's candy, letting Dwight leave for peanuts, Pau the same, resigning Kobe while delaying the rebuild process at least two years...bad decisions based on the sense of entitlement that the Lakers and most of it's fans have are bad business.

Wake up.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
KBH wrote:

Of course they are, reporters will spit out anything if it makes it look like they're in the know. The lakers are 3-12 with no signs of improvement, they would have to have a hell of a turnaround to be even be remotely capable of making the playoffs. They know the situation about the pick and how important it is for this franchise moving forward.

It's just more of spouting the company line to save face. Although you can say the company line is embarrassing the company at this point.

Of course. I say this because it makes me question Ramona's competence (not that there wasn't reason to prior) as a journalist. As a former journalist, it seems amazing to me that she can just accept this rhetoric at face value. That's when one would/should ask follow-up questions related to the team's current place in the standings, the loss of the pick if it's out of the top-5 and mortgaging the future. I don't understand just putting down your recorder and being like, "Yup. The Lakers FO is still trying to make a run." Which is why I mentioned Jeanie. She strikes me as the type that would eschew tanking as not the Laker way and believe we should try to win as much as possible this season despite the fact that it could setback our rebuild.

Last edited by KBH on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

They're not making the playoffs. Some people are even questioning whether the Thunder can make it after they get Durant and Westbrook back (I think they will), and the Lakers are going to do it? Yeah, no.

The only real choice this season is between giving the Suns a 6-10 pick or keeping a top 5 pick. You HAVE to keep the pick. The alternative would be unbelievably stupid and pointless. Still, I worry it might happen.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
They're not making the playoffs. Some people are even questioning whether the Thunder can make it after they get Durant and Westbrook back (I think they will), and the Lakers are going to do it? Yeah, no.

The only real choice this season is between giving the Suns a 6-10 pick or keeping a top 5 pick. You HAVE to keep the pick. The alternative would be unbelievably stupid and pointless. Still, I worry it might happen.

This would be a disaster.
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

what makes them think that this team will get the 8th seed?
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
There is no chance they're that stupid.

Although I woudn't bet all my money that we keep our pick at the end of the season. I wish they'd make moves to guarantee it but they won't.

This is the same FO that was impressed enough by Mike Brown to hire him, then chose D'Antoni over Phil Jackson and those are just two of the recent atrocities that they've been responsible for. That's why I'm not so sure this is actually a stealth tank job. I think they thought they were building a competitive team and thought they hired a good coach in B Scott. So much for that!
eznoh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

5 pick since 8th seed is about as likely as a one-legged man winning a ...
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Memo to the FO, if the NBA allowed 11teams from the west into the playoffs this year, the Lakers would still be on the outside looking in
shark-lin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

In the eastern conference..we might have made the 8th seed with our current record. But in the west, teams are just too strong & consistent
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject:

How about it is impossible. We are already down in a big hole, no way they can snif the 8th seed. Get real and tank.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: