A reality check for folks who blame Byron or the players

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: A reality check for folks who blame Byron or the players

The Lakers are favored to win for the FIRST time all season vs. Minnesota. In other words, Vegas thinks our roster is a joke and the 3-12 record is overachievement
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject:

The Vegas line for Laker victories was 31.5 games. In other words, a little better than 3 wins in every 8 games. We're at a pace for a little less than half of that. In order to "overachieve" and win 32, we'd have to go 29-38 the rest of the way. http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/story.cfm/story/1596205

We are not overachieving according to Vegas. What happened was that this roster appeared to be halfway passable, and then the team demonstrated very early on that it would be worse than they were expected to be prior to the season.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

kobe2clark - you've gotta learn to trust them vegas guys - they've been in the business of gaming for ages. Trust them to work out their statistics and sums.

I think our team is due for a win too - let's hope it's tonight. I'd like Lakers to get to 0.5 if possible (but that might be overly optimistic according to the guys from Vegas - who cares, I'm naturally bias
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject:

They were the underdog in every game but that's far from being a prediction that they'd be 0-15. Statistically speaking, underdogs are still expected to win at least some of the time.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Also, just because we were favored to lose in all of our previous games doesn't mean it would stand that Vegas "thinks" we'd lose all those games.

For instance, who do you favor if we play the Spurs? Spurs right? Now, if we play them 100 times do you pick the Spurs all 100 times then? No, on any individual game you'd expect us to lose but over the course of a hundred you'd expect we'd win a couple.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
They were the underdog in every game but that's far from being a prediction that they'd be 0-15. Statistically speaking, underdogs are still expected to win at least some of the time.

Yep. I'm going to oversimplify here but imagine we are favored to lose by 90% in every game. Predicting your record after 100 games would be 10-90. Not 0-100. That's over simplifying it but hopefully shows why even if you're FAVORED to lose every game, that doesn't mean they predict you will definitely lose every game.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
The Vegas line for Laker victories was 31.5 games. In other words, a little better than 3 wins in every 8 games. We're at a pace for a little less than half of that. In order to "overachieve" and win 32, we'd have to go 29-38 the rest of the way. http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/story.cfm/story/1596205

We are not overachieving according to Vegas. What happened was that this roster appeared to be halfway passable, and then the team demonstrated very early on that it would be worse than they were expected to be prior to the season.

Nash and Randle going down for the season, as well as Lin performing more inconsistently than was previously thought has I think a lot to do with the drop in expectations, its certainly not Kobe.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject:

Not sure what the OP's point is here. Vegas takes into account the players, coach, schedule, everything.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Not sure what the OP's point is here. Vegas takes into account the players, coach, schedule, everything.

I would bet that no team except maybe the Sixers have been underdogs every game.

My point is that our roster is not up to par and we've had a pretty tough schedule on top of that
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject:

But you can't say just that Vegas doesn't favor them only because of the roster and/or schedule. You could as easily say Vegas doesn't favor them because of the coach. The reality is that they take all these things into account.

And you also can't use their record to say they are under or overachieving. Like ringfinger is saying, if all opponents were the same and had a 55% chance of beating them, you would expect them to win 45 games rather than zero after 100 games.
kobe209
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject:

Anyone blaming the coach for this teams crappy performance is just too lazy to give blame to all the people that should be given blame lol This team sucks, plain and simple. I highly doubt the front office had any real expectations for this year besides developing Randle and working Kobe back into game shape. The Lakers made moves for the future, while sacrificing the present. Scott can not realistically be properly assessed as a coach until after next season at the earliest. Give the guy a break. Its barely 10 games in during his 1st year with one of the worst rosters in the nba lol

IG: wywsabaywb
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject:

the team is just bad.. theres no need to blame anyone especially not Scott..

just gotta give mitch time to work his magic in replenishing the roster
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: A reality check for folks who blame Byron or the players

Kobe2Clark wrote:
In other words, Vegas thinks the 3-12 record is overachievement

Nope they don't.

And btw there is lacking talent, and there is playing bad. Most teams play better basketball than we do regardless of their roster.

It's not much of a reality check either, we all know this team is terrible and even if I want them to tank I still would like to see them display some sound basketball in their loss. If that makes any sense lol.
Mustaine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject:

Mitch is one of the worst GM in the league. He's the real responsible for what is happening. Even when we were good, he sucked. Ok, he traded KW for Gasol, but... thank you Jerry.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Nash and Randle going down for the season, as well as Lin performing more inconsistently than was previously thought has I think a lot to do with the drop in expectations, its certainly not Kobe.

I think the fact the Lakers have no real starting Center or SF along with the fact that its the first time many of these guys plays together and under a new system; does not help either....
nashftw
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:

yeah, the team is really bad, can't blame Scott for that and for being dealt a bad hand, but.... if he were a bit more flexible and adaptable, the team could be a little bit better than bad, and still won't be good enough
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject:

Vegas? Reality check? They only mirror betting patterns. What this shows is that even betters have figured out the Laker challenges this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject:

Mustaine wrote:
Mitch is one of the worst GM in the league. He's the real responsible for what is happening. Even when we were good, he sucked. Ok, he traded KW for Gasol, but... thank you Jerry.

Always good to hear from the clueless crowd.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
Vegas? Reality check? They only mirror betting patterns. What this shows is that even betters have figured out the Laker challenges this year.

Although, I will say, the lines will typically be closer to reality. Reality is usually closer to those with money on the line instead of pride =)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: