Mike D'Antoni Comments On Kobe And The Lakers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Mike D'Antoni Comments On Kobe And The Lakers

Quote:
SiriusXM NBA Radio @SiriusXMNBA · 29m 29 minutes ago

Says that while coaching the #Lakers they were not always on the same page- D-Antoni on the Lakers

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/539556183049138177

Quote:
SiriusXM NBA Radio @SiriusXMNBA · 29m 29 minutes ago

"Never had any doubt that he would come back from his injuries"- D'Antoni on Kobe Bryant

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/539556358513643521

Quote:
SiriusXM NBA Radio @SiriusXMNBA · 25m 25 minutes ago

Coach D'Antoni says the positives/negatives of coaching Bryant are one in the same: he's so focused on the game & reaching winning goals

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/539557537654534144

EDIT: Here's the clip on Soundcloud...

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnba/mike-dantoni-talks-about-his-time-with-the-lakers-the-positives-negatives-of-kobe-bryant

Last edited by Lakerfan 4 Life on Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:

good interview
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Anyone who heard the interview want to give us a rundown?
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject:

frankly speaking i wouldnt listen to anything d'antoni says because he was the one that drove kobe to the injury

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
frankly speaking i wouldnt listen to anything d'antoni says because he was the one that drove kobe to the injury

All evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. Lookin back the last twenty years, average age of injury, 29, very near average player age. Spread out all over the season, average time of injury about 19-20 minutes played in the game. That and back in the sixties and seventies, guys played insane minutes without Achilles injury. No correlation between age or minutes to speak of.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Ric: What is your biggest takeaway from your Lakers experience?

MDA: Biggest thing is - you want to have a certain style and be on the same page and we weren't all on the same page. Have to be on the same page from top of management down to the waterboy, especially in a tough place like LA.

Ric: Talking about Kobe Bryant, what is the best part and the most challenging part about coaching Kobe?

MDA: Best - his ability to do the volume of work that he does, if it's humanly possible to do he will do it, mindset and determination and work ethic. Will always try to be the best to ever play the game. That's also the tough part of coaching him, he has a determination and near-sightedness. Sees one goal and will go over you, under you, whatever, to get to where he wants to go.

the linked clip doesn't provide the rest of the interview, which I assume had more than just these two questions.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Anyone else expecting some snarky remarks from MDA? Glad he took the high road.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
MDA: Best - his ability to do the volume of work that he does, if it's humanly possible to do he will do it, mindset and determination and work ethic. Will always try to be the best to ever play the game. That's also the tough part of coaching him, he has a determination and near-sightedness. Sees one goal and will go over you, under you, whatever, to get to where he wants to go.

Pretty much Kobe in a nutshell....

Kiss my Converse.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

No. Mike D'Antoni was sarcastic and often-times just flat-out blunt. I understand it. The people that didn't understand his personality were the ones that were "offended."

Also didn't help that the media literally dissected everything he said and spun his words around.

I remember about 5 different instances where MDA said something and several members of the media left out the context of what he said thus making it sound a lot worst than it actually was.

Mike Brown and Byron Scott don't have that happen to them because they're "politically correct" .. Popovich and PJax gets a pass because they're who they are.

It really is unfortunate though.. I trust MDA with the development of players more-so than Byron Scott.

Matter of fact, with the way Julius Randle likes to handle the ball... That could've been something interesting along with a likely more aggressive Jeremy Lin.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
No. Mike D'Antoni was sarcastic and often-times just flat-out blunt. I understand it. The people that didn't understand his personality were the ones that were "offended."

Also didn't help that the media literally dissected everything he said and spun his words around.

I remember about 5 different instances where MDA said something and several members of the media left out the context of what he said thus making it sound a lot worst than it actually was.

Mike Brown and Byron Scott don't have that happen to them because they're "politically correct" .. Popovich and PJax gets a pass because they're who they are.

It really is unfortunate though.. I trust MDA with the development of players more-so than Byron Scott.

Matter of fact, with the way Julius Randle likes to handle the ball... That could've been something interesting along with a likely more aggressive Jeremy Lin.

Yeah, I was thinking a few weeks back that this team, if it were at full strength, would be a competitive D'Antoni team. I'm not counting Nash in this either, because you can't. Lin and Ed Davis pick and roll would be something we saw often. So would Lin and Boozer pick and pop. Randle has the tools to be D'Antoni's ideal PF/SF hybrid, too.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking a few weeks back that this team, if it were at full strength, would be a competitive D'Antoni team. I'm not counting Nash in this either, because you can't. Lin and Ed Davis pick and roll would be something we saw often. So would Lin and Boozer pick and pop. Randle has the tools to be D'Antoni's ideal PF/SF hybrid, too.

Oh gosh. Let's not do this. =)

It's the game where we dream about how awesome we would be, or how much better we would be, if some hypothetical scenario might actually come true.

In that game, the grass is always greener, but it isn't always greener!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

Probably what the front office was thinking too, but they had a PR situation to deal with.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
DrWolf wrote:

All evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. Lookin back the last twenty years, average age of injury, 29, very near average player age. Spread out all over the season, average time of injury about 19-20 minutes played in the game. That and back in the sixties and seventies, guys played insane minutes without Achilles injury. No correlation between age or minutes to speak of.

You really think Kobe would have still tore his achilles had he not played such an insane amount of minutes doing an insane amount of work in that period of time?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
24 wrote:
DrWolf wrote:

You really think Kobe would have still tore his achilles had he not played such an insane amount of minutes doing an insane amount of work in that period of time?

Yep
sesj
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Total side note (Sorry don't have 100 posts to make new post)

What was the name of the lady on TWC SportsNet that always wore turtlenecks to the lakers pre/half/post game shows? This was back in 2012 when the channel was created.

Thanks!
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I like D'Antoni as a person. Shame his system was such a poor fit.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

Good riddance!!! Worst coach in Laker history!!!
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PhoenixForce wrote:
24 wrote:
DrWolf wrote:

Nobody was stopping Kobe to play that many minutes though.
ROTL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject:

ShamPhony is an awful coach with losing philosophies. The fact that we hired him when 4 of his 5 last seasons were sub-.500 is an abomination. Forget Phil, there were a plethora of other coaches that would have been a better choice than ShamPhony. We had a top 5 player of all time playing the best ball of his career in Kobe, the best center in the league (yes by default) in Dwight....and we chose to cater to Steve Trash.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
24 wrote:
DrWolf wrote:

The Laker hardline stance is no one is to blame for anything and everything is just bad luck. Dont even try to bring logic into this because I can twist the numbers to tell any story I want
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

the people who were "offended" were butt-hurt Phil Jackson fans, who were waiting on the wings to throw anything they could get their hands on at MDA... it was unfortunate because they caused a lot of harm to the team.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
DrWolf wrote:

the game wasnt as physically taxing in the 60s and 70s. Its a fast paced full throttle and above the rim game now. Dr Klapper said that lack of collagen(connective tissue) probably played a part in his injury. And from my studies i know that overexertion and fatigue leads to a lack of collagen.

Rest and recovery is fundamental to the very core. that should be common sense imo

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
24 wrote:
DrWolf wrote:

That was really a freak injury. Kobe will make that move 1 million more times and not have an injury like that. It was just a matter of the muscle fibers contracting at exactly the wrong way with how his foot and weight were positioned at that time, playing 100 less minutes to that time doesn't save the achilles from rupturing
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:

You must hate Thibs then for what he did to Derrick Rose. In that instance they were in the playoffs and had the game won but Thibs kept running Rose into the ground. Was gonna do the same to Deng too.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject:

And who and how exactly would one prevent kobe from playing? If isnt clear by now that kobe is a player, coach and honorary honor of the lakers then i dont know what to tell you guys..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: