Los Angeles mayor claims NFL's return to the city is 'highly likely' next year
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Los Angeles mayor claims NFL's return to the city is 'highly likely' next year

Quote:
The rumblings in recent years that the NFL could finally return to Los Angeles have escalated over the past several months and became a full-fledged tremor over the weekend, when L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti told the San Francisco Examiner that the likelihood of a franchise moving to his city was "highly likely."

In an effort to continue the revitalization effort downtown, former Walt Disney Company chief executive officer Michael Eisner has reportedly been regularly lobbying the NFL on behalf of Garcetti and the Anschutz Entertainment Group, and they are optimistic about landing a team as soon as next year.

The city recently granted AEG — owners of both the Los Angeles Kings and the Staples Center, where the L.A. Lakers and Clippers play their home games — an extension through April to lure a team to the city before potentially breaking ground on a new downtown stadium. The Examiner listed the Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers and St. Louis Rams as the NFL's three most likely candidates to relocate.

Los Angeles hasn't fielded an NFL franchise since the Rams and Raiders left following the 1994 season. While Garcetti remains confident the league's absence from the nation's second-largest media market is nearing an end after two decades, Eisner couched the mayor's excitement a bit.

"It's not my decision," he says. "At the end of the day, it's not the mayor's decision. The owners decide."
"It just felt to me that if we could pull this off, particularly in the downtown area, that the renaissance of Los Angeles ... could be enhanced," he said.
Downtown L.A. isn't the only potential landing spot for an NFL franchise. Several suburban communities have also been rumored to be seeking a team, and Rams owner Stan Kroenke's recent purchase of a stadium-sized lot in nearby Inglewood, Calif., only served to exacerbate those suggestions.

Regardless of where Southern California's next professional football franchise would call home, it doesn't appear the owners would hold up a move to a market where the NBA's Clippers just sold for $2 billion.

Any team requires 75 percent approval from the league's 32 owners to relocate and two-thirds of the owners to sign off on a new stadium. However, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suggested last year the NFL would "love to be back in Los Angeles." Likewise, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said of the absence of football in L.A., "The owners don't mess much up ... but we haven't gotten this one right."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/los-angeles-mayor-claims-nfl-s-return-to-the-city-is--highly-likely--next-year-153628380.html
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject:

Raiders and Rams back in LA would be great. They share a stadium just like the Giants and Jets. Boom.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Raiders and Rams back in LA would be great. They share a stadium just like the Giants and Jets. Boom.

Would love to have the rams back. They are LA's team
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

With Jim Harbaugh as coach. I think he's a douche but don't care what anyone says, he can coach.
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject:

Regardless of what team LA might eventually get, any team that comes here needs to immediately be renamed and rebranded in my opinion, especially if it's the Raiders. Otherwise you'll end up with the same thuggish die-hard Raiders fans that made going to games almost unbearable back in the day.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't hold your breath folks.

That said, if the NFL does return to LA eventually, it better not be with the Raiders.

That's just bad history to revisit (and I have a feeling the league feels the same way).

And it also better not be with the downtown plan. That would be a freaking nightmare. That location can barely support Staples Center and LA Live. An event with 80,000+ people would be disastrous.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject:

the state struggling financially, the city struggling financially.. and we wanna drop hundreds of millions on a new stadium in an already congested part of the city.

great, we can just raise sales tax again.

Obviously we need the NFL that badly in LA.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind the Rams but a definite "no" to the Raiders. LA as a whole has matured beyond the thuggish image that many Raiders fans still try to portray.

My preference would also be to rebrand any team from scratch.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

Grammer wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

With Jim Harbaugh as coach. I think he's a douche but don't care what anyone says, he can coach.

Wow, Grammer, that's a bold statement coming from a Rams fan. That might be considered blasphemous in some Rams circles. Lol. He is effective, but in short bursts. I think his shtick wears thin after a few seasons. But then again, that's the shelf life of most HCs anyway.

I created a thread in the lounge about how I was kinda glad CP3 didn't come to the Lakers because he is a whiny, flopping little D-bag ... And got roasted by most for that. But that being said... I would take CP3 on the Lakers 10 times over, before I'd want Douche-baugh patrolling the sidelines screaming and crying all freaking game.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject:

i done moved on and adopted a new team. im stuck with them for life, even if the damn franchise is cursed lol.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
the state struggling financially, the city struggling financially.. and we wanna drop hundreds of millions on a new stadium in an already congested part of the city.

great, we can just raise sales tax again.

Obviously we need the NFL that badly in LA.

i may have no idea what i'm talking about, but i would assume that the money generated from having a team here in a brand new stadium would be great for L.A. county in the long run and also create 1,000+ jobs.

now, where the stadium is built is a different issue. although it sounds awesome in theory having the stadium in the heart of downtown next to staples and L.A. Live, i agree with you and others here that it will probably be a disaster putting it there.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject:

I think the Hollywood Park location has a better chance of succeeding than Downtown LA. With the racetrack no longer in use and scheduled for demolition, I think it would be better to have another sports facility that brings in a continuous revenue stream than having another mixed-used shopping mall. Plus that area is used to having big time events from past events like Laker games and horse racing. That lot is big enough to accommodate sufficient space for an NFL stadium and parking and even tailgating if they allow it, something that the Downtown LA stadium would never have.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

My mom used to work at the Daniel Freeman hospital back in the day that was across the street from the forum. She hated going to work on game days.

!...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
i done moved on and adopted a new team. im stuck with them for life, even if the damn franchise is cursed lol.

must be hard to be a bengals fan
cheapedy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

ARE YOU READY FOR L.A. CONDORS FOOTBALL!!!!!!

Sweet Logo:

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/thumbnails/blog_1459/pt_1459_1416_o.jpg?t=1325884586

Cheer on the OFF WHITE and BLACK!!!!
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Grammer wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Wow, Grammer, that's a bold statement coming from a Rams fan. That might be considered blasphemous in some Rams circles. Lol. He is effective, but in short bursts. I think his shtick wears thin after a few seasons. But then again, that's the shelf life of most HCs anyway.

I created a thread in the lounge about how I was kinda glad CP3 didn't come to the Lakers because he is a whiny, flopping little D-bag ... And got roasted by most for that. But that being said... I would take CP3 on the Lakers 10 times over, before I'd want Douche-baugh patrolling the sidelines screaming and crying all freaking game.

It'd be a win-win, make the 9ers worse and improve the Rams. Harbaugh took over essentially the same team Singletary & Nolan had and turned them into a playoff contender overnight. I'd love to see what he would do with the Rams roster. Definitely wouldn't want to hang out with the guy, seems like an a-hole but wouldn't mind having him coach the Rams.
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Jay Glazer reports LA good bet to get at least one if not two NFL teams:

Quote:
The time is coming for Los Angeles to have professional football again. And get ready for at least one, but probably two teams, according to FOX Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer.
According to Glazer, the thought throughout league circles is that the Rams are the surest bet to go back to the City of Angels. But you can expect two teams to move to Los Angeles.
The surprise? That the San Diego Chargers are still in the mix, as well, despite the prevailing thought being that the Oakland Raiders might move back to Los Angeles.
According to Glazer, Los Angeles is "closer than ever" to having a franchise.

LINK
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't get excited if an existing team moves in, I would prefer a new franchise. If it is the Rams or Chargers or Raiders, my only interest would be if the Bears or Saints came to town.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Re-brand the Raiders with pink colors to sway away the gangsters. Fire Reggie McKenzie. Sorry but he has got to be the dumbest GM in the NFL
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
Re-brand the Raiders with pink colors to sway away the gangsters. Fire Reggie McKenzie. Sorry but he has got to be the dumbest GM in the NFL

I'm thinking that combination would attract a whole new type of fan base, so you might be onto something. I don't think Oakland is that attached to them anyway, but I'll be amazed when the LA bargaining chip finally gets cashed.
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject:

I'm a Raiders fan so obviously i would love for them to move back to LA. But i highly doubt we're gonna get a NFL team anytime soon. I'll believe it when i see it.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:

I'm thinking that combination would attract a whole new type of fan base, so you might be onto something. I don't think Oakland is that attached to them anyway, but I'll be amazed when the LA bargaining chip finally gets cashed.

Maybe Oakland shouldn't be attached to them. They have been garbage for 12 years and they might move back to LA. It's not like the Raiders of the 70's which kept making it to a championship game every year and eventually won a couple of Super Bowls.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:

The Chargers are coming home. This is where they got their start in 1960.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
kcxiv wrote:

must be hard to be a bengals fan
NO actually worse then the Bengals, they at least been to 2 superbowls since i been alive lol
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject:

I'll wait until after the season to see what the deal is. That LA hater coward Goodell has been (bleep) blocking for years. He would rather have a team in London than in LA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11
Jump to: