Building around julius randle
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Building around julius randle

I really believe that randle is a unique talent and a very unique team can be built around him. First, everyone should watch this clip of his summer league highlights so we can be on the same page:

Now, notice the clips that have the center standing around the peremeter. Look how much space randle has to operate! He's literally unstoppable in that situation because there are not many centers that can help from the 3 point line. thats why I believe the lakers should look to grab frank Kamenski with the Houston pick in this upcoming draft.

Kamenski is going to be a matchup problem from the moment he steps into the NBA, similar to bonner, and Ryan Anderson. I think Kamenski has more potential on defense than those two though.

Next, we need one more player who can create, knock down spot-up 3's and run the pick and roll with randle (similar to how marshal ran it in SL). That's why I believe that mudiay is the best option with our top 5 pick. His strengths are creating offense, spotting up shooting and running the pick n roll. Imagine randle setting a pick at the top for mudiay and the paint is wide open because Kamenski is our center.

Those are 3 great piece to build around but we also need wings. We need two 3&D wings that can create if asked. I think jimmy butler would be a great addition. We all know the type of season he's having and I think he would make an excellent 3rd or 4th option. The second wing can be clarkson or even another future free agent I haven't thought about.

We also need a center that can come in and play defense and cover som of kaminski weaknesses. Ed Davis is perfect.

Mudiay/clarkson
Jimmy butler/
3&D guy
Randle/kelly
Kamenski/Ed Davis

This is just one way to build around randle and that may not even be the front offices goal. If you don't like the idea just jump to another thread. This thread is something fun and positive to think about. Tired of all the doom and gloom threads. This team is in a great situation and has a bright future ahead.

Last edited by PICKnPOP on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:43 am; edited 3 times in total
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

Randle sounds good, but Kevin Durant sounds better.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject:

som3on3_10 wrote:
Randle sounds good, but Kevin Durant sounds better.

Kevin Durant could easily slide in at small forward with that lineup.

Mudiay
Butler
Durant
Randle
Kamenski

He would fit just as well as anyone since he can get his points within a system.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

Language is imprecise. "Rebuild around" is kinda vague.

I think Julius Randle represented a safe choice for the Lakers from last Summer's draft. He represented a reliable talent, someone around which a championship squad can eventually be built, but only if that roster is given the addition of two true All-NBA caliber talent, probably one one big and one small.

I think Randle will not become an all-NBA guy, even for one season, but I think he can be a solid performer for many years.

I think his maximum career ceiling projects to fall below the accomplishment level of Al Horford. I think Randle has a career arc most likely to resemble a hybrid of Mychal Thompson and AC Green: useful and valued as a complementary piece, not the guywhose college game translates to leadership of a championship run. A good third option.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

U want to build around a guy who played 1NBA game, broke his foot & is out for whole yr?

Meh
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:

Agree with the other poster, we don't even know what kind of NBA player Randle is capable of becoming
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
Agree with the other poster, we don't even know what kind of NBA player Randle is capable of becoming

People will sag but he was so good in summer league and preseason but news flash:

Josh shelby was MVP of SL & is out of league now
Kent Baze was MVP of SL & is not getting any time in ATL
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

I think Julius Randle represented a safe choice for the Lakers from last Summer's draft. He represented a reliable talent, someone around which a championship squad can eventually be built, but only if that roster is given the addition of two true All-NBA caliber talent, probably one one big and one small.

I think Randle will not become an all-NBA guy, even for one season, but I think he can be a solid performer for many years.

I think his maximum career ceiling projects to fall below the accomplishment level of Al Horford. I think Randle has a career arc most likely to resemble a hybrid of Mychal Thompson and AC Green: useful and valued as a complementary piece, not the guywhose college game translates to leadership of a championship run. A good third option.

That's possible but I see him as a perennial all-star. I could see him as a third option if he wasn't able to create easy baskets for himself at will. I could see him as a third option if he couldn't draw a double team, I could even see him as a third option if he showed us he couldn't hit his jumper consistenty. However, he's showed that he's capable of all of the above and also capable of creating for others.
Ideally, I believe that he should be part of a 1A-1B star tandem with a point guard. Which is why I said we should draft mudiay. Mudiay is another player who has all of the tools to be a star player in this league. a team built around mudiay and randles ability to create offense separately or as a pair in the picknroll would be a match made in heaven.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
U want to build around a guy who played 1NBA game, broke his foot & is out for whole yr?

Meh

Don't forget about his 50 year old type of stamina. Randle needs to enchant his shoes with +10 stam.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Meh

Don't forget about his 50 year old type of stamina. Randle needs to enchant his shoes with +10 stam.

A guy who couldnt finish with the celtics.

Thats the reason they went with Smart instead of Randle
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
70sdude wrote:

That's possible but I see him as a perennial all-star. I could see him as a third option if he wasn't able to create easy baskets for himself at will. I could see him as a third option if he couldn't draw a double team, I could even see him as a third option if he showed us he couldn't hit his jumper consistenty. However, he's showed that he's capable of all of the above and also capable of creating for others.
Ideally, I believe that he should be part of a 1A-1B star tandem with a point guard. Which is why I said we should draft mudiay. Mudiay is another player who has all of the tools to be a star player in this league. a team built around mudiay and randles ability to create offense separately or as a pair in the picknroll would be a match made in heaven.

Well, I haven't see him do the things you described, not against NBA teams. I saw his Summer action when he was, well, inconsistent. That came against largely NBA Summer talent, many wanna-be players and all on teams who play no team defense. I don't think he's gonna create for himself and for others at will, not at anything close to the rate that he did in college.

I can tell you see something in him that I don't, a Kevin Love-like transition to an inside-outside and driving game. I'm unconvinced he's got that in him, but kudos to our Laker team if he does. He'll get his chance to show us all next Fall.
Purp&Gold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject:

Good post, I think he needs a defense first kind of center next to him.

Randle will be a Laker HOF and would be leading the rookie of the year race right now if he was healthy.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

Wait till next year to see what we have,
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

We already drafted Kaminsky. His name is Ryan Kelly.

Honestly, I don't see a ton of difference between these two and I think Kelly is probably a better prospect. Kelly has a higher IQ, is more mobile, a better team defender, a better passer and just as good a shooter. Kaminsky might be a bit stronger, but he will still get worked by NBA centers on the block.

If we are looking at prospects for the Houston pick I would rather go with Chris walker, rondae Hollis Jefferson or dakari Johnson if any are still available.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

I think it's too soon to say whether Randle is the player to build around. I like him a lot, but he needs to stay healthy and have a good 2nd rookie season.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
We already drafted Kaminsky. His name is Ryan Kelly.

Honestly, I don't see a ton of difference between these two and I think Kelly is probably a better prospect. Kelly has a higher IQ, is more mobile, a better team defender, a better passer and just as good a shooter. Kaminsky might be a bit stronger, but he will still get worked by NBA centers on the block.

If we are looking at prospects for the Houston pick I would rather go with Chris walker, rondae Hollis Jefferson or dakari Johnson if any are still available.

I don't think kelly can guard NBA bigmen and I think Kamenski can hold his own.

I don't like dakari because of his short wingspan and he doesn't use his athleticism in game even though he seems to have plenty. Chris walker seems to be a low IQ player even though he has all the tools necisary to be a star.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

I don't think Kaminsky will be available for the Lakers to pick.

Not good enough for top 5, and assuming we keep Houston's pick, Kaminsky is probably gone by the 20s.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

In the twenties, there will probably be a few pg prospects.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Well, I haven't see him do the things you described, not against NBA teams. I saw his Summer action when he was, well, inconsistent. That came against largely NBA Summer talent, many wanna-be players and all on teams who play no team defense. I don't think he's gonna create for himself and for others at will, not at anything close to the rate that he did in college.

I can tell you see something in him that I don't, a Kevin Love-like transition to an inside-outside and driving game. I'm unconvinced he's got that in him, but kudos to our Laker team if he does. He'll get his chance to show us all next Fall.

Well there's no sure way of projecting any prospect but the way that the lakers have decided to develop randle and the freedom they give him to rebound and push give some indication of what type of player they see him as.

(Ex NBA player, Stanford grad) 1:54

When comparing randle to Blake griffin you see that thier combine measurements are almost identical so his athleticism should translate.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Julius-Randle-6294/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Blake-Griffin-1268/

When looking at how randle was defended in college without taking many jump shots it's easy to see how dominant he is scoring the basketball inside. As his calipari said, randle was the first player since shaq to be triple teamed every game. This is all without a reliable jump shot and randle was still pretty much unstoppable at the college level.

http://www.lakersnation.com/caliparis-interesting-comparison-of-shaq-and-julius-randle/2014/09/25/

Still, questions remained at the NBA level because he wasn't expected to be able to dominate against length and bully NBA players like he did in college. He also didn't have a right hand while in college.

Skip to summer league. Randle shows parts of his game that he didn't show in college. He faces up 15-18 feet out and drives to the basket every time and still cannot be stopped. He still doesn't use a bumper but he's still pretty much getting where he wants to go on the floor and scoring at a good clip. He's also showing that he can drive with the left and the right and even finished a few right handed lay ups. He's also showing the ability to rebound and push in transition.

Skip ahead to preseason and randle adds another element to his game that nobody knew existed. He starts knocking down the 15-18 footer that is so crucial to his triple threat style of play. Now, we know he can scoring with his back to the basket inside the paint because he proved that in college. (Also proved he could pass out of a double and triple). He proved he can score driving to the basket even when the defense was expecting it because he did it in summer league. He also proved that his 15 footer needs to at least be respected in pre season.

Now, how do you defend randle?

If you put a typical big man on randle he's going to destroy your team by beating them on the break, or pulling them out to the three point line and taking them off the dribble, or knocking down the midrange jumper if they sag off. (He's too fast and his handle is too good.) proven in summer league

If you put a quicker player on randle he's going to take that player into the post and bully them repeatedly. Proven in college

If you send a double (which is exactly what you want) he is a good enough passer and smart enough player to find the open man.

This is why I belivee that randle can be a franchise player. I do accept that his endurance is pretty bad but he can work on that's.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
av3773 wrote:

People will sag but he was so good in summer league and preseason but news flash:

Looking at things with tunnel vision will make you think things like that. Look at the big picture and things are different. It is what Randle can do on the floor that you need to look at, not a popularity contest. Randle will be a matchup problem for the league with his ability to put the ball on the floor. I know no one voted on that so it is tough for some posters to understand, but it is the reality of his skill level.

Randle will need shooters around him, so I want to see the FO pursue Danny Green this offseason. He is making $4 mil this year, I doubt the Spurs offer him more than $10 mil. Throw $12-13 mil at him for 4 years and you have a good chance of getting him. He can hit the 3 and can play defense, so he would be a perfect fit for our rebuilding team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Meh

A guy who couldnt finish with the celtics.

Thats the reason they went with Smart instead of Randle

And people believe that didn't happen on purpose?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

We need to see what we have first. This is way too early.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
av3773 wrote:

Looking at things with tunnel vision will make you think things like that. Look at the big picture and things are different. It is what Randle can do on the floor that you need to look at, not a popularity contest. Randle will be a matchup problem for the league with his ability to put the ball on the floor. I know no one voted on that so it is tough for some posters to understand, but it is the reality of his skill level.

Randle will need shooters around him, so I want to see the FO pursue Danny Green this offseason. He is making $4 mil this year, I doubt the Spurs offer him more than $10 mil. Throw $12-13 mil at him for 4 years and you have a good chance of getting him. He can hit the 3 and can play defense, so he would be a perfect fit for our rebuilding team.

Green is a good underrated move. But the question is whether he can succeed outside of the Spurs. Who on this team will drive and kick like the Spurs do?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

Would rather build around Anthony Davis and Steph Curry

UNSTOPPABLE!!
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
av3773 wrote:

what Randle will need is to stay healthy and be on the floor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: