Building around julius randle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
Randle has the potential to be a stud. His should recover fully.

I'd count on him as a chip to build upon if I'm the Lakers

I think he will be a building block, but more akin to a James Worthy level core player (that's my ceiling...a high one of course).

Yeah in no way can Worthy as a ceiling be considered an insult.

In today's era that makes him a #1 option alpha player. That's what I have him pegged at.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Randle has 20-10-4 potential, those are Blake Griffin type numbers. I hope he works on his jump shot as soon as he is able to. I remember early on in D FISH'S career be got injured, was out for a on time and came back a better jump shooter.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I like Kaminsky a lot, hopefully we get lucky though and get Okafor, Towns or Mudiay.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Randle strikes me as a very good #3 best player type. I don't think he's got more talent than Chris Bosh and CB was a #3 on a championship team.

IMO you'll need 2 better players than Randle to win championships down the road. I fully expect a really good player and a 18/8 type of career if JR can stay healthy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I think we should build our team around Okafor.

Cart before the horse.

Exactly.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject:

His upside is still that he can be a star, but I'm definitely worried that he's a brittle big man.
showmethemoney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
His upside is still that he can be a star, but I'm definitely worried that he's a brittle big man.

I am having a hard time getting excited about Randle these days. The way he went down just made me really concerned about how he is going to absorb all the hits against those big bodies.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Randle strikes me as a very good #3 best player type. I don't think he's got more talent than Chris Bosh and CB was a #3 on a championship team.

IMO you'll need 2 better players than Randle to win championships down the road. I fully expect a really good player and a 18/8 type of career if JR can stay healthy.

CB was only #3 because that team had Lebronze and wade. He is easily 2nd option material. Replace Pau with him and I don't think the Lakers would have missed a beat.

Anyway I think Julius has talent that create even more mismatches than CB does. Plus he's got alpha intangibles that bosh doesn't have. I still project Randle to be a 1A-1B point forward option going forward. This kid is special
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject:

I think Jules will overcome what most people view to be his limitations - size/jumper. Size wise & finishing against length - defenders aren't in good position when Jules beats them off the dribble! He gets them biting on pump fakes as much as a great traditional post player - because the defender is recovering from getting beaten off the bounce - Even if he doesn't pump fake them, the defender isn't in his best position to contest Jules shot. This really gives him a chance to be a better finisher than critics think.

Now his jumper - it's further along than any of us expected when we drafted him. In the preseason we saw mostly standard PF faceup/jab step jumpers. But wait til he strings together his dribble moves and then pulls up for his J. PFs won't be able to stay with him attacking, or his dribble moves to create his J. He's going to be able to consistently create great looks for himself.

He's really got the skill of a SF, in a PFs body. Remember he also has good instincts as a passer; if there's a PF he struggle's finishing against, he'll drive and create for others. So there are different ways where he could be one of your top 2 impactful players offensively.
Also, something rare going coast to coast.

I'd like to see him be that skilled, and also be Keneith Farried on the O boards.. All this different kind of skill/game and people think they have his ceiling pegged. lol.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject:

definitely not sold on Randle at all, but somebody has to be our best player after Kobe retires, but i believe if Randle is that guy then we are in trouble.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Putting Randle as the #1 build around is absurd at this point. Hell, he's not even a wing or PG. Other people have already touched on the issues that first need to be overcome for him, and if you watched his game in college then you'll know it starts with that inside bull power game ain't flyin' in the NBA. SL? I was there, no defense league. I wouldn't have taken anyone else w/ our pick there, top picking, but center of the plan? no.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject:

I know everyone is thinking ahead and looking for that next "Kobe" that can lead this franchise to wins. It might be Randle, it might not. But even if it isn't, that's ok. Maybe he'll be a complementary piece.

Whether he can be either of those things is going to boil down to a couple of things and one of those things isn't even talent. It's health. If he can't stay healthy, well, it won't matter how good he is. You can't build around someone you can't rely on to be there on a consistent basis no matter how good they are (i.e. Derrick Rose).
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Putting Randle as the #1 build around is absurd at this point. Hell, he's not even a wing or PG. Other people have already touched on the issues that first need to be overcome for him, and if you watched his game in college then you'll know it starts with that inside bull power game ain't flyin' in the NBA. SL? I was there, no defense league. I wouldn't have taken anyone else w/ our pick there, top picking, but center of the plan? no.

lol, you still think he's guna play like he did in college. no he's not a PG, but he's going to be something like a Point Forward.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject:

I really am in support of Randle in having the best possible NBA career. I hope someday he is part of a championship team with the Lakers. His freak injury on a non contact play, snapping the thickest bone in a human body is a concern. If he turns out to be this fragile and we don't keep our pick this year then it would be safe to say that, we'd be royally screwed.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Randle will be a perrenial all star, not many players with his skillset at such a young age.

Strength
Physicality
Aggressiveness on the inside as a scorer
Strong rebounder
Athleticism
Low-post scoring
Scoring around the basket
Explosiveness at the rim
Terrific driving ability for a power forward
Capable mid-range game
Handles the ball well for his size
Can rebound and lead the break
Lateral quickness defending on the perimeter
Good passer
Killer Instinct

Once Kobe retires and it's Randle's team, he's going to be a force. He has the skills and alpha mentality to be a 23/10/4 player in his prime. Give him a rim protector and put shooters around him and he's going to be hard to defend.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Randle has already shown more skills than what he did in college. He has showed in the preseason and summer league that he can be a point forward who has the ability to go to the rim off the dribble or hit the jumpshot. He just needs to develop consistency in that but Randle has such a unique skillset that I don't know where all this lack of faith is coming from.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Randle will be a perrenial all star, not many players with his skillset at such a young age.

Strength
Physicality
Aggressiveness on the inside as a scorer
Strong rebounder
Athleticism
Low-post scoring
Scoring around the basket
Explosiveness at the rim
Terrific driving ability for a power forward
Capable mid-range game
Handles the ball well for his size
Can rebound and lead the break
Lateral quickness defending on the perimeter
Good passer
Killer Instinct

Once Kobe retires and it's Randle's team, he's going to be a force. He has the skills and alpha mentality to be a 23/10/4 player in his prime. Give him a rim protector and put shooters around him and he's going to be hard to defend.

I agree. He has that potential. I do have one concern. The scouting report on Randle was his motor, tireless motor. From the Summer League to the Preseason games and up to his first/final game of the season, I failed to see that motor which he supposedly has. Dude needs to play which a oxygen tank on his back.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Agree, I just think he has to get use to the speed and tempo of the NBA. Randle is a physical specimen, only Lebron is comparable physically. Kobe retiring will speed up the process, ball needs to be in Randle's hands to see his full potential.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

If you watched Summer League and the preseason, you would have seen that Randle did play a lot from the wing. And no one will be the center of the plan, the center of the plan would be getting pieces that fit together.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Calipari offensive system limited Randle's game. He wanted him to play like Randolph in the post which he can do, but Randle style of play is more similar to Barkley and Webber. Randolph has no lift or the speed of Randle that's why he's comparable with Barkley. This vid is how Randle will play in the league, he likes to operate from the perimeter and play point forward but will go to the post if a smaller player is guarding him.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject:

That is why it was my opinion that surrounding him with some shooters who can also defend is a good way to go.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject:

What makes Randle unique is his ball-handling and play making ability for his size.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I feel like if you're going to build a team you should start with a player who has the skillset to create mismatches. This will force the defense to double team and open up shots for other players. Randle not only has the skillset to do that, he has that scorers mentality actually wants the ball in his hands.

Randle is a pretty good place to start. He can do all of those things and he also has a very unique physique and skillset. However he can't win alone and he's going to need someone that can take some pressure off of him but also compliments his skillset. Mudiay is that guy.

the mudiay randle pick n roll would be beautiful to build around. So many options after randle sets that pick. If he gets the ball he's already in his ideal spot to operate out of the triple threat. He can basically roll, pop, swing the ball, or ISO.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:

This was what I was looking forward to this season:

So sad...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
This was what I was looking forward to this season:

So sad...

is there another PF this smooth off the dribble in the NBA right now?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: