Pau Gasol - Closure
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Pau Gasol - Closure

I know Pau is no longer a Laker but in my mind I need some closure.

I've been noticing that Pau has been putting up some good numbers this season. Is it possible to make a conclusion about his performance the last two seasons with the Lakers?

1. He was seriously hurt and that affected his performance.
2. MDA did not utilize him properly which affected his ability to make shots.
3. He hated MDA so much that he just didn't care and he just didn't try, especially on defense. If this was the case, I'm surprised Pau wasn't concerned about appearing unprofessional.

Regardless, based on his play this season, Pau really hasn't "lost it" and I blame Laker management for letting MDA misuse and mistreat Pau.

My question is whether Byron would have done any better if Pau had stayed?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I think we would be doing better if Pau had stayed. Pau was just done with being a Laker when things didn't go his way. He wanted to take his ball and go home.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Lakers/Pau parted the right time in the CP3 trade. I have full confidence that on Houston, Pau would have played very well and would have enjoyed being the focal point of the offense.

That failed CP3 trade short circuited Pau's drive. It was a case of both parties needing to move on. I commend him for his play during our championship runs and wish him the best.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I put some of the blame on Lakers management for what happened. Every year it was about how he was going to be traded and that has to weigh on a person after awhile.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pau Gasol - Closure

Lakerpark wrote:
I know Pau is no longer a Laker but in my mind I need some closure.

I've been noticing that Pau has been putting up some good numbers this season. Is it possible to make a conclusion about his performance the last two seasons with the Lakers?

1. He was seriously hurt and that affected his performance.
2. MDA did not utilize him properly which affected his ability to make shots.

3. He hated MDA so much that he just didn't care and he just didn't try, especially on defense. If this was the case, I'm surprised Pau wasn't concerned about appearing unprofessional.

Regardless, based on his play this season, Pau really hasn't "lost it" and I blame Laker management for letting MDA misuse and mistreat Pau.

My question is whether Byron would have done any better if Pau had stayed?

Probably more of numbers 1 & 2. I doubt that Pau hated D'Antoni so much that he didn't try. Don't forget that last season was a contract year for him, so he definitely wouldn't want to hurt his stock in this performance-driven business. As far as blaming management, the only thing i would view as egregious was not getting anything in return for him before he became a free agent. It was evident from his demeanor and non-commital that he was in favor of leaving, and with the Lakers not having another talented center, it would have been a good idea to try and get something in a trade...oh well, hindsight is typically 20/20. I'm glad that Pau is doing well, i always appreciated him.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

The mistake was not dealing him after the CP3 trade went south. Should have done the Houston deal. Instead he dogged it for a few seasons and we got nothing for it. I don't totally blame him. He wasn't treated all that well but a guy who makes that kind of money can at least play all out for his teammates sake. Ah well.
Spoolxx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't blame him. The FO treated him like (bleep). He was constantly in trade rumors. Now he is beasting. Averaging 20/12 and winning.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
I put some of the blame on Lakers management for what happened. Every year it was about how he was going to be traded and that has to weigh on a person after awhile.

The blame should be on the media, as we found out later, most of those proposed trades were never even discussed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

The blame should be on the media, as we found out later, most of those proposed trades were never even discussed.

Which "media" are you referring too? I found it quite the opposite with lots of trade rumors swirling about him. I haven't found a definitive article that said these trade rumors were mostly off base.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

General basketball discussion???

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

Which "media" are you referring too? I found it quite the opposite with lots of trade rumors swirling about him. I haven't found a definitive article that said these trade rumors were mostly off base.

I know Ramona shot down some of them.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject:

I think Pau was misused and abused in his last three Laker seasons. Mike Brown was a disaster. D'Antoni was completely unsuited to Pau's strengths. The other main vectors were the the ill-fated attempts at his role as a three point shooting stretch four (shoved out as center to be companion to DH, another failed pursuit), the unceasing trade rumors and the chump-change offer to stay all combined to crush the guy's spirit here. Clearly, he's motivated and feels appreciated in Chicago. He is being asked to do things he can do, and he has roster help around him that complements his strengths and weaknesses better than he had here for those three years. I'm happy for him, sad for us. I might actually be inclined to watch 2014/15 Laker action, had he been retained.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

Ramona? Really?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

Ramona? Really?

Yeah. She talks to Jim and Mitch regularly. I don't understand why that would be so hard to imagine. Hell, we have a multi-page thread here about Kobe maybe wanting to re-sign in 2016 based on the word of some reporter, Kobe never actually said anything close to that. We have seen it many times before, someone floats a trade idea and due to the power of the internet, in 4 hours it is something that is supposed to be a done deal. Even if it is just someone's wild idea. I know of one case a few years ago where the Lakers were supposed to be close to a deal but I knew personally that the deal had never been discussed. That is why I don't believe any of what I read anymore.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Spoolxx wrote:
I don't blame him. The FO treated him like (bleep). He was constantly in trade rumors. Now he is beasting. Averaging 20/12 and winning.

While I think Pau could have been handled better by the FO, let's be clear on how he was treated. He was given a contract extension during these seasons in question that paid him $20 million United States dollars per season. They hired a coach that didn't mesh with his skills, which is unfortunate but part of the business. He was also part of a very public failed trade and maybe a few others, and that too is unfortunate but part of the business. An unavoidable part.

Just because things didn't always go his way or weren't tailor made for his liking doesn't mean he had the right not to play to the best of his ability.
lilmomo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject:

I think stat wise Pau is putting up similar numbers that he was when he played last in LA, its just that now he's playing his natural position as Power foward and doesnt have to guard against center, Noah does that for the Bulls.

His numbers are pretty similar when he played along side Bynum.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

Ramona? Really?

Yeah. She talks to Jim and Mitch regularly. I don't understand why that would be so hard to imagine. Hell, we have a multi-page thread here about Kobe maybe wanting to re-sign in 2016 based on the word of some reporter, Kobe never actually said anything close to that. We have seen it many times before, someone floats a trade idea and due to the power of the internet, in 4 hours it is something that is supposed to be a done deal. Even if it is just someone's wild idea. I know of one case a few years ago where the Lakers were supposed to be close to a deal but I knew personally that the deal had never been discussed. That is why I don't believe any of what I read anymore.

Momo is essentially a paid mouthpiece...they can use her to spin just as much as she spouts "objective" info. So many of her "predictions" and insights have fallen too short for someone who is so "connected." Some of her assertions do sound like trial balloons from the FO.

Inasmuch as you discount trade rumors, I think there are good grounds to conclude that Momo is a mouthpiece/spin master for the FO too.
tmsxl
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Spoolxx wrote:

For now...let's wait till the end of the season to see those numbers. In his prime in Memphis he was barely hitting that.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I have watched some Bulls games and he looks like the same Pau to me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Momo is essentially a paid mouthpiece...they can use her to spin just as much as she spouts "objective" info. So many of her "predictions" and insights have fallen too short for someone who is so "connected." Some of her assertions do sound like trial balloons from the FO.

Inasmuch as you discount trade rumors, I think there are good grounds to conclude that Momo is a mouthpiece/spin master for the FO too.

I agree, that is why I take what she is fed as closer to the truth than the guys who just make things up. After Pau left the FO has no reason to falsely claim that many of reported trade rumors were never discussed. I don't see what is in it for them either way.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree, that is why I take what she is fed as closer to the truth than the guys who just make things up. After Pau left the FO has no reason to falsely claim that many of reported trade rumors were never discussed. I don't see what is in it for them either way.

Then why would Pau be so angry at the FO if there weren't any trade proposals? I do believe he was widely shopped, but due to his large contract, teams didn't want him (also due to health). When he was an expiring, teams were rightly concerned he'd bolt.

Momo comes in to do the spin cycle IMO.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The mistake was not dealing him after the CP3 trade went south. Should have done the Houston deal. Instead he dogged it for a few seasons and we got nothing for it. I don't totally blame him. He wasn't treated all that well but a guy who makes that kind of money can at least play all out for his teammates sake. Ah well.

When you attempt to trade a player it pretty much signals you don't want them anymore. I can see why psychologically they might check out of the team. Even other players have done the same. Look at Tyson Chandler when the New Orleans trade failed back in 2009. Except we kept Pau for another couple of seasons where they had a huge question mark over his status.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

He's 34, too. That's what makes his resurgence so impressive.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pd24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject:

The Bulls feed him in the post. He isn't asked to shoot jumpers. Still one of the best post scorers in the NBA.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ocho wrote:

When you attempt to trade a player it pretty much signals you don't want them anymore. I can see why psychologically they might check out of the team. Even other players have done the same. Look at Tyson Chandler when the New Orleans trade failed back in 2009. Except we kept Pau for another couple of seasons where they had a huge question mark over his status.

I agree with all that. It's why I think we should have traded him. But it still doesn't absolve him of not playing hard.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: