Pau Gasol - Closure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

pd24 wrote:
The Bulls feed him in the post. He isn't asked to shoot jumpers. Still one of the best post scorers in the NBA.

Have you watched any Bulls game this season? I have watched the Bulls numerous times struggle on offense and just ignore Pau. Instead you had Jimmie Butler or Derrick Rose jack up a shot like they were Ray Allen
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Please Mods move this to the open forum, there is a Gasol thread already there.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:

mods please create forum called Basketball Reasons...
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think we would be doing better if Pau had stayed. Pau was just done with being a Laker when things didn't go his way. He wanted to take his ball and go home.
After his damn coach humiliates him, after all the trade rumors and they were legit, they were more then rumors. I'd want the F out too. He didnt take his ball and go home. Lakers were trying to take his ball and kick it out the door.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
He didnt take his ball and go home. Lakers were trying to take his ball and kick it out the door.

Pau was free to leave and it's fine that he did but let's not act like we showed him the door. This summer he was offered a 2-year $20M contract with a no trade clause. They tried to trade him exactly once (confirmed) for Chris freaking Paul.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Momo is essentially a paid mouthpiece...they can use her to spin just as much as she spouts "objective" info. So many of her "predictions" and insights have fallen too short for someone who is so "connected." Some of her assertions do sound like trial balloons from the FO.

Inasmuch as you discount trade rumors, I think there are good grounds to conclude that Momo is a mouthpiece/spin master for the FO too.

I agree, that is why I take what she is fed as closer to the truth than the guys who just make things up. After Pau left the FO has no reason to falsely claim that many of reported trade rumors were never discussed. I don't see what is in it for them either way.

Then why would Pau be so angry at the FO if there weren't any trade proposals? I do believe he was widely shopped, but due to his large contract, teams didn't want him (also due to health). When he was an expiring, teams were rightly concerned he'd bolt.

Momo comes in to do the spin cycle IMO.

I didn't know that Pau was angry at the FO.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Why are people asking to move this thread? Are discussions about Jerry West and Kareem moved over there as well?
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject:

He's a bit more active now but otherwise, he still playing the same. Its just that now he's playing in a better system with much better teamates. Points come easy for him with competent point guards and with Noah to share the paint with against other bigmen. He's being maximized in Chicago even though he's far from his physical peak like Duncan is with the Spurs.

We didn't have the coach or personnel to make that work for Pau. I'm happy for him that he left. There was nothing left for him with us. We on the otherhand are facing the consequences of poor coaching hires and of not investing in younger players.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

This

And this
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
He didnt take his ball and go home. Lakers were trying to take his ball and kick it out the door.

Pau was free to leave and it's fine that he did but let's not act like we showed him the door. This summer he was offered a 2-year $20M contract with a no trade clause. They tried to trade him exactly once (confirmed) for Chris freaking Paul.

Andrew bynum
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kcxiv wrote:

We showed him the door. That's literally half what he was making from his previous contract, and would have been paid about the same as Jordan Hill.

Seriously? Same as Jordan Hill? If that's not showing him the door, I don't know what is.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
ocho wrote:
kcxiv wrote:

We showed him the door. That's literally half what he was making from his previous contract, and would have been paid about the same as Jordan Hill.

Seriously? Same as Jordan Hill? If that's not showing him the door, I don't know what is.

Generally when you show people the door, you don't offer more money than anyone else to stay.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject:

pd24 wrote:
The Bulls feed him in the post. He isn't asked to shoot jumpers. Still one of the best post scorers in the NBA.

He was fed in the post here to where he had a ton of court time as the only low post player on the court last year. But on him decided not to try to post up on many opportunities and on many times when he did get the ball in the post, he would pass out or settle for some turn around J
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Pau's loss of interest in playing ball, here anyway, started in 2011 in the Dallas series. Although that might be for a different reason than reasons later (or not, who knows). Nevertheless he was never the same from that series in 2011.

Yeah, the FO did him no favors hiring Brown, then MDA, but he showed his disdain for the situation and the Lakers as well by mailing it in a lot of nights and playing with no heart most of the time. Then playing lights out for Spain in the summer (and people around here thought he was done ).

I think he was at least partially checked out already, before Brown got here. Maybe re-hiring Phil might have sparked Pau and he would've played like his old self and retired a Laker, we'll never know.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

he quit on the Lakers.
Phil Jackson punched him in chest to get his heart beating...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Momo is essentially a paid mouthpiece...they can use her to spin just as much as she spouts "objective" info. So many of her "predictions" and insights have fallen too short for someone who is so "connected." Some of her assertions do sound like trial balloons from the FO.

Inasmuch as you discount trade rumors, I think there are good grounds to conclude that Momo is a mouthpiece/spin master for the FO too.

I agree, that is why I take what she is fed as closer to the truth than the guys who just make things up. After Pau left the FO has no reason to falsely claim that many of reported trade rumors were never discussed. I don't see what is in it for them either way.

Then why would Pau be so angry at the FO if there weren't any trade proposals? I do believe he was widely shopped, but due to his large contract, teams didn't want him (also due to health). When he was an expiring, teams were rightly concerned he'd bolt.

Momo comes in to do the spin cycle IMO.

I didn't know that Pau was angry at the FO.

You didn't get that when he turned down a substantially better contract with the holy grail aka no trade clause? For a guy who loved living in LA too.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Drifts"]he quit on the Lakers.
Phil Jackson punched him in chest to get his heart beating...[/quote
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Why are people asking to move this thread? Are discussions about Jerry West and Kareem moved over there as well?

Gasol is a Chicago Bull not a Laker, this is not a Bull blog site.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Gasol contacted the "Tin Man" this past summer to find out where the wizard moved to, so he could get a heart. The "Tim Man" did not know where the wizard moved to. Defense is all about heart and effort.

Through 20 games, the Bulls (12-8) are giving up 100.5 points per game, which puts them in the bottom half of the league. Last year, they gave up 91.8, best in the league. I wonder how long before Gasol get's the Boozer treatment, no defense, no play in the 4th quarter.
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

The Boozer treatment? We are the only ones getting the Boozer treatment.

But yeah, Gasol is showing he is all "washed up" as some LG "experts" claimed

Good for him that he found a better team (in the East, thank god) that knows how to use his strengths...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think we would be doing better if Pau had stayed. Pau was just done with being a Laker when things didn't go his way. He wanted to take his ball and go home.

In fairness to Pau, he was pretty much forced to despite providing commendable service to the Lakers and helping them to much success.

Your rather immature description of the course events says speaks more to you than it does to Pau's contributions as a Laker.

Respect is a two way street, whether you choose to acknowledge that or not.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Pau wasn't given the red carpet treatment by the Lakers like Kobe, but let's not act like he was trashed. Lakers treated him well, like they do all players they value. There is no one issue that colored Pau's last few years here, but several.

One, he was in the unique position of not just being subjected to trade rumors, but was actually traded away and only remained a Laker due to a last minute veto. He handled it in a classy manner, but it had to affect him.

Two, he dealt with a myriad of health issues his last three or so years here. Plantar fascists, knee tendinitis, bursitis of his elbow on his shooting arm, and just plain age sapped away from his quickness and explosiveness, which he didn't have in abundance to begin with anyways. Watch videos of Pau during our ring runs versus the Pau of today. Night and day difference.

Three, bad fits with coaches. It was heavily rumored that there was a mandate to make Bynum the low post option and push Pau out further even during Phil's last year with us. That only got worse in subsequent years as other coaches came in who didn't believe in using Pau in the low post, or only as an after thought. MDA in particular had an infamous interview with Ramona when he first arrived where, when Ramona pointed out where Pau has typically been the most effective from the elbow on down into the paint, he erased all that and said Pau would be operating from the elbow out beyond the three point line.

In the end, I doubt Pau had any sore feelings about the Lakers. He just wanted a chance to compete in an easier conference his last few years in the league, and a team like Chicago is better for that than a rebuilding Laker team. Give the man his props, he actually put his money where his mouth is by taking a pretty huge pay cut from the nice contract the Lakers offered. Both Pau and the Lakers are better off for it, most likely. We had a great run together, and I for one am looking forward to seeing his number retired here, but it was time for both sides to move on.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
I put some of the blame on Lakers management for what happened. Every year it was about how he was going to be traded and that has to weigh on a person after awhile.

The blame should be on the media, as we found out later, most of those proposed trades were never even discussed.

Pau WAS traded in 2011. That is mentally damaging. And despite that, Pau was the bigger man to stick it out, instead of demanding a trade like Odom did.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
he quit on the Lakers.
Phil Jackson punched him in chest to get his heart beating...

Phil wasnt showing a whole lot of life in that year either, to be honest, and he really did quit at the end of it.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject:

Please, mods, lock this thread now or "Voices" is going to collapse.

Getting up early every morning in order to track the word "Pau", so he is able to condemn Gasol as soon as somebody mentions him in LG, was hard work, but now there are two Pau threads!

My God, show some mercy. Dude has a life. How many times do you want him to write words like "we´re better off without...", "Yeah, 20/12/2/2, but what about defense?" " Gasol checked 3 years ago..." "Pau was just a role player. Kobe won the rings by himself", "He is abusing every center now. So what? That does not benefit Chicago´s economy" and so on?

#releaseVoices
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: