Mitch: All indications - Kobe done after next season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Obviously Kobe disagrees with you, so maybe you should find something else to complain about. That one has no legs.

To be fair, Kobe says a lot of things. Some are true, some are lies, some are just Kobe trying to push his brand as the macho guy.

I don't know that it is obvious that Kobe disagrees with him. We only know what Kobe said, not what he really thinks.

Kobe also said there were no negotiations in relation to his contract extension. Do you agree with that too?

Then you haven't been paying attention.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
How about, all indications that Jim and Mitch are done after this season?

No, they will be active at the trade deadline.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Obviously Kobe disagrees with you, so maybe you should find something else to complain about. That one has no legs.

To be fair, Kobe says a lot of things. Some are true, some are lies, some are just Kobe trying to push his brand as the macho guy.

I don't know that it is obvious that Kobe disagrees with him. We only know what Kobe said, not what he really thinks.

Kobe also said there were no negotiations in relation to his contract extension. Do you agree with that too?

What do you mean? You're the one that just accepts what Kobe says at face value. Kobe says things. They aren't always true.

What is your position regarding his claim that there were no negotiations as it related to his contract?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Voices wrote:
av3773 wrote:
Personally I would rather Kobe not extend, Kobe is at the end of his career, he's one of the greatest lakers ever but we need to move on, and quite frankly I don't think Kobes personality will ever allow him to conceded control of the team and also be the second option let alone the third or fourth option where he might realistically be skill wise in 2016 depending on the development of any of the young players we or will have plus FA. I mean if he could stay around and play a B Shaw type role obviously it's a yes, but does anyone really think Kobe would do that?

20 year career on one team is ridiculous, along with all the winning even more ridiculous.

I agree Kobe should hang it up after this contract, however making millions, even if it is only 5 mil keeps the endorsements paying. MJ is still making huge endorsement money, I don't think Kobe has the endorsement capability that MJ has. Colorado ugliness is always going to influence Kobe's ability to make money after b ball.

Kobe seems to have the Buss's right where he wants them, I hope they make make it clear to Kobe that this contract is it, privately, it will benefit all parties. Money is a very powerful drug, it buy's power and influence, hopefully Kobe rides the retirement parties from city to city next year and hangs them up.

He should hang it up after this season. Other than money I don't know what there will be to play for.

Kobe is all about the money, always has been in spite of what he say's publicly. I love Kobe the player, not so crazy about Kobe the citizen over the last few years.

And I don't blame him for being about the money or any professional athlete for that matter. They have a finite earning window unlike in any other profession. What irks me, I guess, is the dishonest dance they have to do for the fans to justify it. "I wanna break the all-time longevity with the same team record." Just laughable. Nash was at least honest when he said why he wasn't retiring and for some ridiculous reason he's been flamed for it.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
How about, all indications that Jim and Mitch are done after this season?

If you're referring to them leaving the team. Keep in mind Jim is one of the owners, he's not going anywhere. And Mitch is working directly with Jim; my "guess" is he is here to stay as well.
House Lakesters
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, Lakers fans can only hope he's finished (doesn't diminish all that he's done for the franchise)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What do you mean? You're the one that just accepts what Kobe says at face value. Kobe says things. They aren't always true.

What is your position regarding his claim that there were no negotiations as it related to his contract?

I know that there were negotiations, but I am not sure that has anything to do with Kobe going for a record. So you are of the opinion that the record doesn't mean much to him?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

And I don't blame him for being about the money or any professional athlete for that matter. They have a finite earning window unlike in any other profession. What irks me, I guess, is the dishonest dance they have to do for the fans to justify it. "I wanna break the all-time longevity with the same team record." Just laughable. Nash was at least honest when he said why he wasn't retiring and for some ridiculous reason he's been flamed for it.

If you think that is a dishonest dance then it is apparent you know very little about Kobe and what makes him tick.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

If you think that is a dishonest dance then it is apparent you know very little about Kobe and what makes him tick.

Well we all can't be BFF's with him like you...
KOBE2007MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I feel so sorry for Kobe for going thru this season. He is a proud champion and yes he should retire after his contract ends. This team is not going anywhere any time soon. He should save his legacy and just retire.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject:

KOBE2007MVP wrote:
I feel so sorry for Kobe for going thru this season. He is a proud champion and yes he should retire after his contract ends. This team is not going anywhere any time soon. He should save his legacy and just retire.

Again, if it's about pride he should retire after this season... but it's not.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Well we all can't be BFF's with him like you...

You could pay attention to what he has done and what has mattered to him throughout his career. Records mean a lot to him. I am sure he will be glad to add another.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Who's going to tell Kobe that Magic wants the team to tank this year?

We've heard all the anger at wasting Kobe's final years, so I would doubt Kobe is on board with possibly his next to last season being a tank fest.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

TheLakerWay wrote:

We've heard all the anger at wasting Kobe's final years, so I would doubt Kobe is on board with possibly his next to last season being a tank fest.

It's on its way to the same result as a tank, but, we're not tanking...
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
TheLakerWay wrote:

It's on its way to the same result as a tank, but, we're not tanking...

lol probably true
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I know that there were negotiations, but I am not sure that has anything to do with Kobe going for a record. So you are of the opinion that the record doesn't mean much to him?

The point is that you can't always necessarily take things that Kobe says at face value. So to say "Kobe disagrees with you" is not really an appropriate remark. You don't know what his real position is, you know only what he has said publicly.

Maybe you disagree with that poster regarding Kobe's intentions, but you can't really say that Kobe disagrees with him.

There was a time where I would have agreed with you. Now, I'm not so sure. I would have thought he'd prioritize winning over money. I was wrong about that. Why isn't he angry about how the season is going? Is he being a good corporate soldier, or is he just indifferent at this point of his career?

That's why I said, Kobe says a lot of things. Sometimes, he speaks the truth. Sometimes, he's just straight lying. Sometimes, he's just trying to be macho.
vankenn
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Nash is recruiting Kobe for golf LOL
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject:

vankenn wrote:
Nash is recruiting Kobe for golf LOL

I wouldn't mind getting in on that tee time, lol...
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Wonder how the preparation/recovery process changes and how favorably if Kobe could accept a 6th man role, playing 20 mpg and not 35, and sitting out back to backs.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Wonder how the preparation/recovery process changes and how favorably if Kobe could accept a 6th man role, playing 20 mpg and not 35, and sitting out back to backs.

I'm not sure he would ever accept that. He should be accepting that now. And he isn't.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

There's no reason for Kobe to play beyond next season. We won't be contending for a title in 2016-17, and even if we are Kobe won't be playing at a high enough level anymore. He isn't even playing at a high level this season. His legacy has been secure ever since the end of Game 7 vs Boston. He needs and deserves to retire with at least some dignity.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Even John Ireland on his radio show is promoting people to buy Laker tickets now, this season.

Must be the new mandate! Let's sell tickets!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Even John Ireland on his radio show is promoting people to buy Laker tickets now, this season.

Is that really true?
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Is that really true?

Just listen live.

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/radio/

He plugged it twice in the last 30 mins.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

The point is that you can't always necessarily take things that Kobe says at face value. So to say "Kobe disagrees with you" is not really an appropriate remark. You don't know what his real position is, you know only what he has said publicly.

Maybe you disagree with that poster regarding Kobe's intentions, but you can't really say that Kobe disagrees with him.

There was a time where I would have agreed with you. Now, I'm not so sure. I would have thought he'd prioritize winning over money. I was wrong about that. Why isn't he angry about how the season is going? Is he being a good corporate soldier, or is he just indifferent at this point of his career?

That's why I said, Kobe says a lot of things. Sometimes, he speaks the truth. Sometimes, he's just straight lying. Sometimes, he's just trying to be macho.

Have logic and thought become a thing of the past? You can't take everything Kobe says at face value, but you can evaluate it based on his career, his past accomplishments, and what he has wanted to achieve in his career. So it isn't going out on a limb to think that the longevity record measn something to him. As for the bolded, that has nothing to do with anything I said, so I am not sure what you think you are agreeing or disagreeing with.

The question was asked, why would Kobe want to play next season? And part of that why is the longevity record.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: