The NBA has become a joke
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: The NBA has become a joke

With the new CBA, if a team is not a championship contender, they're blowing up the team and tanking. Every team has realized "middle of the pack" is the worst possible position to be in so you see more and more teams with horrible records with a few teams at the top. Its a joke.

Even teams like the Lakers won't even put a mediocre team out there to preserve cap space to land multiple superstars and most teams are following this model.

Gut the team and rebuild cheap in the draft and have a crappy team all season to preserve cap space while hoping for more ping pong balls.

With all the new restrictions, everyone is going cheap and has turned the NBA into a cheap product all around. I can't stand what the Lakers have become because of it. Its understandable what teams are trying to do, but CBA has turned it into a joke. My loyalty will always be to the Lakers but I've pretty much tuned out of NBA basketball, specially seeing what other teams like the 76ers are doing, its an embarrassment. No effort to even hide the fact they don't want to try to put anything competative out there and Silver condoning it as rebuilding. I'm turned off by so many garbage teams out there, I don't want to waste 2.5 hours of my life repeatedly anymore for no entertainment value.

4 games under .500 gets you into the playoffs in the east.

NBA has to get rid of 6 teams and make the season 65 games.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject:

It's unfortunate that the NBA shot down the proposal to replace the lottery with the wheel. That would have been a genuine long-term solution to the tanking problem. The failure of that proposal tells us that the NBA wants tanking to be an option, though perhaps not to the extreme of the Sixers.
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It's unfortunate that the NBA shot down the proposal to replace the lottery with the wheel. That would have been a genuine long-term solution to the tanking problem. The failure of that proposal tells us that the NBA wants tanking to be an option, though perhaps not to the extreme of the Sixers.

The problem with the wheel is that not every number one pick is created equal. Some years you get Anthony Davis. Some years you get Anthony Bennett.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

improper wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The problem with the wheel is that not every number one pick is created equal. Some years you get Anthony Davis. Some years you get Anthony Bennett.

Well thats called bad scouting. If you're given the number 1 pick and you select that guy, then your franchise deserves to be rock bottom.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I read somewhere that Sam Presti spearheaded the last minute charge against the proposals. He argued that small market teams could not reload without an ability to tank.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I read somewhere that Sam Presti spearheaded the last minute charge against the proposals. He argued that small market teams could not reload without an ability to tank.

Naturally. His team may very well be doing this in 2 -3 seasons.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

This certainly needs to be fixed, although contracting teams and shortening the season wouldn't do it. This is the slowest era of expansion in NBA history, with the league expanding by just 1 team in nearly the last 20 years, with no plans for expansion on the horizon. The league is brimming with talent more than it ever has. If anything, it needs to expand.

I was very disappointed that the lottery reforms weren't adopted. As a fan of a team in that position, I my fanhood is constantly battling with my pragmatism. Like the other night against Sacramento, for example. I want to be able to cheer like hell when my team does well, without feeling twinges of guilt because it's not what's best for them in the long wrong.

I just want to cheer for my team without caveats.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

improper wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That's true for the lottery, too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Tie the lottery into revenue sharing. If you are in the lottery 3 years, you get 60% of your revenue funds. 4 years, 30%. 5 years, 0.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Tie the lottery into revenue sharing. If you are in the lottery 3 years, you get 60% of your revenue funds. 4 years, 30%. 5 years, 0.

Dude this.

I can't help but think that teams aren't even TRYING at this point because of revenue sharing. No incentive. At least before, mediocrity for the vast majority of the NBA wasn't such a bad thing as the extra revenue from a playoff appearance (even a first round knockout) made it relatively worthwhile.

Now these sons of (bleep) are being paid by us to steal our lottery position.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Another idea that while excellent, will never fly due to politics and special interests.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject:

It's pretty much "be competitive for a few years, then blow up and play the lottery until you're good again" at this point.

There is no point to watching.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Draft set up isnt the problem in the NBA. It's undeveloped players coming in that have no fundamentals and need 3 to 4 years to become productive difference makers in the league. The NBA needs to institute the 3 year out of high school set up in the NBA so the players can develop and once they get drafted, they are coming in wrecking shop right away.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Draft set up isnt the problem in the NBA. It's undeveloped players coming in that have no fundamentals and need 3 to 4 years to become productive difference makers in the league. The NBA needs to institute the 3 year out of high school set up in the NBA so the players can develop and once they get drafted, they are coming in wrecking shop right away.

Eh. This gets into the whole college debate. Set up a bona fide minor league system that pays kids a decent salary, and I'm interested. Tell kids that they have to play for free in college instead of making the money that the NBA teams would willingly pay them, and I'm not on board. More importantly, the union isn't on board.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Dude this.

I can't help but think that teams aren't even TRYING at this point because of revenue sharing. No incentive. At least before, mediocrity for the vast majority of the NBA wasn't such a bad thing as the extra revenue from a playoff appearance (even a first round knockout) made it relatively worthwhile.

Competitive Balance®

!...
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Dude this.

It amazes me that Philly has fans attend their games.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:

How does creating more NBA ready players de-incentivize tanking?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Yeah that has nothing to do with tanking.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I love how they whined so much about parity and how they wanted every team in the league to be competitive, yet, every year since, there have only been 3-4 teams that have had a realistic shot at winning the title, "tanking" has been rampant, the Eastern Conference has been as abysmal as it's ever been, and we've had to sit through 4 straight finals with Lebron in it.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
I love how they whined so much about parity and how they wanted every team in the league to be competitive, yet, every year since, there have only been 3-4 teams that have had a realistic shot at winning the title, "tanking" has been rampant, the Eastern Conference has been as abysmal as it's ever been, and we've had to sit through 4 straight finals with Lebron in it.

They're making a ton of money, and about to make a ton more. They're undoubtedly pleased with how things are going.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:

They're making a ton of money, and about to make a ton more. They're undoubtedly pleased with how things are going.

Absolutely. It's just frustrating how it comes at the cost of a balanced league.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Teams tank because they can have a cheap salary while the owners make millions. Donald Sterling may be the smartest owner in NBA history. He made millions each year, by putting a garbage product out there, then sold the team for billions. So there's that carrot for owners too.

But really, tanking in order to get a superstar is pretty dumb. It either takes 5+ years to build a team around them or they end up bolting to another team just when they're hitting their prime.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Yeah that has nothing to do with tanking.

Yes it does. If you have have 5-6 players that are seasoned, ready to make an impact players in each year in the draft, you dont have to tank to try and get into the top 2 or 3.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject:

The reason why tanking happens isnt that the nba or draft incentivizes tanking, the nba draft is the least tank friendly of the drafting systems (the nhl has adopted it in the same structure), it's that basketball does it.

The nba more than any other sport has the needle shifted by individual players, so teams aim to maximize their chance at said players, and realistically any attempt at completely removing it would hurt the overall league more than help it.

The issue the nba is having with philly isn't that it's happening, it's that they're blatantly waving it in everyone's face, and at the same time, by doing it so overtly will generally mean you will do it better than anyone trying to stealth tank because they can make decisions the others can't to stack their odds
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Yes it does. If you have have 5-6 players that are seasoned, ready to make an impact players in each year in the draft, you dont have to tank to try and get into the top 2 or 3.

If that was true, then the top picks in the draft would be the NBA ready players, not the projects like Wiggins and Parker.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: