Our number one free agent target this summer should be....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Our number one free agent target this summer should be....

.....Kawai Leonard. This guy is turning into the best 2 way wing player in the league. He is a California boy and the Laker should throw the kitchen sink at him. He is the premier, Ideal perimeter player that Kobe needs. The Spurs have not signed him to an extension and unlike the other guys, he doesn't seem too eager to take a pay cut. Give him a max contract.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Our number one free agent target this summer should be....

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
.....Kawai Leonard. This guy is turning into the best 2 way wing player in the league. He is a California boy and the Laker should throw the kitchen sink at him. He is the premier, Ideal perimeter player that Kobe needs. The Spurs have not signed him to an extension and unlike the other guys, he doesn't seem too eager to take a pay cut. Give him a max contract.

Waste of time. It's been repeated that the reason why the Spurs didn't extend him now is to have possibly 8-10m extra in cap space this summer to pursue a guy like MGasol. So in theory, you sign MGasol, then you sign Leonard. It's a way to game the salary cap system (assuming Leonard/another team agree to a tender sheet) to maximize cap space while re-signing a RFA.

I'd spend 0 minutes on Leonard. He will certainly be matched and maxed by the Spurs.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

LOL - I can guarantee you he will be a Spur.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject:

I agree 100%. Yes, the Spurs SHOULD keep him. Yes, they have more cap flexibility by waiting. All that said, we should still offer him a max deal and press him to sign the very first minute free agency allows.

This pushes the Spurs. They dont have enough cap room to sign Gasol unless they renounce the rights to Duncan, Green and Ginobili. Ginobili is the only one I could see retiring or taking less than this year. Duncan is still worth the $10 million he makes.

Kawais cap hold is 7.5 million. If he signs our offer sheet, that cap hold becomes whatever we offered and that puts San Antonio in a bind.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
I agree 100%. Yes, the Spurs SHOULD keep him. Yes, they have more cap flexibility by waiting. All that said, we should still offer him a max deal and press him to sign the very first minute free agency allows.

This pushes the Spurs. They dont have enough cap room to sign Gasol unless they renounce the rights to Duncan, Green and Ginobili. Ginobili is the only one I could see retiring or taking less than this year. Duncan is still worth the $10 million he makes.

Kawais cap hold is 7.5 million. If he signs our offer sheet, that cap hold becomes whatever we offered and that puts San Antonio in a bind.

That requires Leonard being so mad at their FO that he would be willing to spite the team that he will likely be on for a long time. I know he wasn't happy the extension didn't happen, but it doesn't mean he is stupid and willing to hurt his own team. I think he and the Spurs have a mutual agreement that they will restock the team for him and he gets his max.

Leonard has to agree to any tender. Don't forget that.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

... Marcus The Doberman Banks!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

NOBODY. We can not focus on one player. We have lots of holes and are still a couple of years away AT BEST. I would love to sign many of the YOUNG restricted FA's, both most of them are pipe (Harris, Leonard, Butler, Jackson). The last thing we need is to sign a max player who is to old (ie Dragic who is turning 29 this season and would be 30 his first year with us) or not worthy (Rondo). Hopefully, the FO does not panic and throw away $ just to make a splash. There are some good young players that I wish we could sign, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Right now, it all depends on the draft. Basically, if we do not get Okafor, I would love to sign Jordan. It will take max money and I hate him, but he would be a perfect compliment to Randle. If we are lucky enough to get Okafor, we would have to go small. The only player that makes sense and who we would have a realistic chance of signing is Knight.

I could also see the FO stockpiling some picks. Hill for a first from a contending team that needs a big at the trading deadline. Also, us taking back a bad one year contract (McGee, Lee, etc.) for a first in the off season.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

I think it's highly unlikely for the lakers to steal away any marquee player from a solid franchise, our best bet is finding a marquee player on a squad that is on the way down or where there is a toxic culture for whatever reason....I don't see any player leaving a decent situation for the Lakers given the state of our team, if we have multiple 1st round picks this season (keep our own if we get a top 5, houston pick and perhaps one we can pick up before the trade deadline) then maybe if the star was young enough and felt he was looking at a long window with the lakers....
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject:

How about deandre jordan for maybe multi-year starting at $12mil or 2 yr at $15-16mil with 2nd yr team option? I think he's a FA
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
How about deandre jordan for maybe multi-year starting at $12mil or 2 yr at $15-16mil with 2nd yr team option? I think he's a FA

At $12m Clips will match (I know DJ is an unrestricted FA). And with a better team and his pal Blake he won't leave.

I doubt he wants a 2 year deal, unless he wants cash in again in 2016 when the cap will rise significantly.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:

At $12m Clips will match (I know DJ is an unrestricted FA). And with a better team and his pal Blake he won't leave.

I doubt he wants a 2 year deal, unless he wants cash in again in 2016 when the cap will rise significantly.

You're probably right. It'd be nice to get deandre. If Randle pans out, we could flip Hill for a better SF/PG (depends on who we draft).
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

Robin Lopez
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject:

Tyson Chandler
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

Any decent defensive big man would make a huge impact for us.

Tyson Chandler would work. Lopez too. Hibbert?

I'd even take a chance on Bynum depending on his health.
DMAULS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

Depends. Hibbert/Reggie Jackson. Reggie Jackson/Jimmy Butler, etc.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

Not famous enough! The Buss kids need "star quality" (whatever that means) to keep the ratings up.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject:

Robin Lopez and Goran Dragic
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject:

Sign Hibbert and draft either Winslow, Stanley Johnson, or Mudiay.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Robin Lopez

Also not famous enough and would likely command enough to take away a max slot for another "star".
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
NOBODY. We can not focus on one player. We have lots of holes and are still a couple of years away AT BEST. I would love to sign many of the YOUNG restricted FA's, both most of them are pipe (Harris, Leonard, Butler, Jackson). The last thing we need is to sign a max player who is to old (ie Dragic who is turning 29 this season and would be 30 his first year with us) or not worthy (Ronda). Hopefully, the FO does not panic and throw away $ just to make a splash. There are some good young players that I wish we could sign, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Right now, it all depends on the draft. Basically, if we do not get Okafor, I would love to sign Jordan. It will take max money and I hate him, but he would be a perfect compliment to Randle. If we are lucky enough to get Okafor, we would have to go small. The only player that makes sense and who we would have a realistic chance of signing is Knight.

I could also see the FO stockpiling some picks. Hill for a first from a contending team that needs a big at the trading deadline. Also, us taking back a bad one year contract (McGee, Lee, etc.) for a first in the off season.

Rondo leads in tri doubles and is averaging over 7 rebounds a game, thats more than LeBron!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

That requires Leonard being so mad at their FO that he would be willing to spite the team that he will likely be on for a long time. I know he wasn't happy the extension didn't happen, but it doesn't mean he is stupid and willing to hurt his own team. I think he and the Spurs have a mutual agreement that they will restock the team for him and he gets his max.

If he doesn't sign it then problem solved and he doesn't tie up any money for us either. I wouldn't be mad if they offered him one just to attempt to pressure SA

But the real answer to this topic is somewhat of a sleeper.... Brandon Knight
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

If he doesn't sign it then problem solved and he doesn't tie up any money for us either. I wouldn't be mad if they offered him one just to attempt to pressure SA

Sure. Any team can do it to screw Spurs plans to game the salary cap. But it takes two signatures and if Leonard is cool with management, he won't accept any offers until the Spurs get their free agent.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

Sure. Any team can do it to screw Spurs plans to game the salary cap. But it takes two signatures and if Leonard is cool with management, he won't accept any offers until the Spurs get their free agent.

Which is fine. Offer it to him. If he doesn't sign, it costs us nothing and doesn't tie up money. If he does sign then you ruin Gasol for them.

And in the 0.00001% chance that SA doesn't match you just got yourself a beastly FA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

Which is fine. Offer it to him. If he doesn't sign, it costs us nothing and doesn't tie up money. If he does sign then you ruin Gasol for them.

And in the 0.00001% chance that SA doesn't match you just got yourself a beastly FA

Theoretically, the Spurs can screw around with us for 72 hours, fully knowing they will match. But sure, if the Lakers don't mind having 17m in cap space held up for 72 hours...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

Theoretically, the Spurs can screw around with us for 72 hours, fully knowing they will match. But sure, if the Lakers don't mind having 17m in cap space held up for 72 hours...

How? The moment he signs his cap hold is no longer small. Goodbye Gasol. I think we would have accomplished the mission
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: