Our number one free agent target this summer should be....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

^
Is that the rule? That when a player signs a tender, that a cap hold is created for the tendered amount to the team that hasn't yet matched it? (I'm not sure, real question).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
^
Is that the rule? That when a player signs a tender, that a cap hold is created for the tendered amount to the team that hasn't yet matched it? (I'm not sure, real question).

That's what I heard. But as ususal I can be wrong
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
I agree 100%. Yes, the Spurs SHOULD keep him. Yes, they have more cap flexibility by waiting. All that said, we should still offer him a max deal and press him to sign the very first minute free agency allows.

This pushes the Spurs. They dont have enough cap room to sign Gasol unless they renounce the rights to Duncan, Green and Ginobili. Ginobili is the only one I could see retiring or taking less than this year. Duncan is still worth the $10 million he makes.

Kawais cap hold is 7.5 million. If he signs our offer sheet, that cap hold becomes whatever we offered and that puts San Antonio in a bind.

That requires Leonard being so mad at their FO that he would be willing to spite the team that he will likely be on for a long time. I know he wasn't happy the extension didn't happen, but it doesn't mean he is stupid and willing to hurt his own team. I think he and the Spurs have a mutual agreement that they will restock the team for him and he gets his max.

Leonard has to agree to any tender. Don't forget that.

If he doesn't sign it then problem solved and he doesn't tie up any money for us either. I wouldn't be mad if they offered him one just to attempt to pressure SA

But the real answer to this topic is somewhat of a sleeper.... Brandon Knight

Sure. Any team can do it to screw Spurs plans to game the salary cap. But it takes two signatures and if Leonard is cool with management, he won't accept any offers until the Spurs get their free agent.

Which is fine. Offer it to him. If he doesn't sign, it costs us nothing and doesn't tie up money. If he does sign then you ruin Gasol for them.

And in the 0.00001% chance that SA doesn't match you just got yourself a beastly FA

Theoretically, the Spurs can screw around with us for 72 hours, fully knowing they will match. But sure, if the Lakers don't mind having 17m in cap space held up for 72 hours...

How? The moment he signs his cap hold is no longer small. Goodbye Gasol. I think we would have accomplished the mission

Exactly. If he is not going to sign our offer sheet, we move on immediately. If he signs, great. Pressure will be on San Antonio. A signed offer sheet from Kawai is worth waiting 72 hours.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
I agree 100%. Yes, the Spurs SHOULD keep him. Yes, they have more cap flexibility by waiting. All that said, we should still offer him a max deal and press him to sign the very first minute free agency allows.

This pushes the Spurs. They dont have enough cap room to sign Gasol unless they renounce the rights to Duncan, Green and Ginobili. Ginobili is the only one I could see retiring or taking less than this year. Duncan is still worth the $10 million he makes.

Kawais cap hold is 7.5 million. If he signs our offer sheet, that cap hold becomes whatever we offered and that puts San Antonio in a bind.

That requires Leonard being so mad at their FO that he would be willing to spite the team that he will likely be on for a long time. I know he wasn't happy the extension didn't happen, but it doesn't mean he is stupid and willing to hurt his own team. I think he and the Spurs have a mutual agreement that they will restock the team for him and he gets his max.

Leonard has to agree to any tender. Don't forget that.

If he doesn't sign it then problem solved and he doesn't tie up any money for us either. I wouldn't be mad if they offered him one just to attempt to pressure SA

But the real answer to this topic is somewhat of a sleeper.... Brandon Knight

Sure. Any team can do it to screw Spurs plans to game the salary cap. But it takes two signatures and if Leonard is cool with management, he won't accept any offers until the Spurs get their free agent.

Which is fine. Offer it to him. If he doesn't sign, it costs us nothing and doesn't tie up money. If he does sign then you ruin Gasol for them.

And in the 0.00001% chance that SA doesn't match you just got yourself a beastly FA

Theoretically, the Spurs can screw around with us for 72 hours, fully knowing they will match. But sure, if the Lakers don't mind having 17m in cap space held up for 72 hours...

How? The moment he signs his cap hold is no longer small. Goodbye Gasol. I think we would have accomplished the mission

Exactly. If he is not going to sign our offer sheet, we move on immediately. If he signs, great. Pressure will be on San Antonio. A signed offer sheet from Kawai is worth waiting 72 hours.

I agree. This guy is worth the risk.
lakeshow83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject:

We're not getting leonard no way no how. It's a reason why we don't go after rfa's. 72 hr cap hold only to watch the spurs match and we lose out on potential fa's we could actually sign. I like Robin Lopez along with gerald green and danny green. None are too expensive and the spacing would be outright dangerous.
lakeshow83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject:

We're not getting leonard no way no how. It's a reason why we don't go after rfa's. 72 hr cap hold only to watch the spurs match and we lose out on potential fa's we could actually sign. I like Robin Lopez along with gerald green and danny green. None are too expensive and the spacing would be outright dangerous.
lakeshow83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Our number one free agent target this summer should be....

yinoma2001 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
.....Kawai Leonard. This guy is turning into the best 2 way wing player in the league. He is a California boy and the Laker should throw the kitchen sink at him. He is the premier, Ideal perimeter player that Kobe needs. The Spurs have not signed him to an extension and unlike the other guys, he doesn't seem too eager to take a pay cut. Give him a max contract.

Waste of time. It's been repeated that the reason why the Spurs didn't extend him now is to have possibly 8-10m extra in cap space this summer to pursue a guy like MGasol. So in theory, you sign MGasol, then you sign Leonard. It's a way to game the salary cap system (assuming Leonard/another team agree to a tender sheet) to maximize cap space while re-signing a RFA.

I'd spend 0 minutes on Leonard. He will certainly be matched and maxed by the Spurs.

I will be surprised if the Spurs giv him the max. I am sure they will try to low all him. Word is that Kawai is pissed that they didn't extend him. I would offer the max on day 1 to force the Spurs hand.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Not famous enough! The Buss kids need "star quality" (whatever that means) to keep the ratings up.

So if you don't know what it is how do you know Leonard doesn't have it?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Our number one free agent target this summer should be....

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
.....Kawai Leonard. This guy is turning into the best 2 way wing player in the league. He is a California boy and the Laker should throw the kitchen sink at him. He is the premier, Ideal perimeter player that Kobe needs. The Spurs have not signed him to an extension and unlike the other guys, he doesn't seem too eager to take a pay cut. Give him a max contract.

Waste of time. It's been repeated that the reason why the Spurs didn't extend him now is to have possibly 8-10m extra in cap space this summer to pursue a guy like MGasol. So in theory, you sign MGasol, then you sign Leonard. It's a way to game the salary cap system (assuming Leonard/another team agree to a tender sheet) to maximize cap space while re-signing a RFA.

I'd spend 0 minutes on Leonard. He will certainly be matched and maxed by the Spurs.

I will be surprised if the Spurs giv him the max. I am sure they will try to low all him. Word is that Kawai is pissed that they didn't extend him. I would offer the max on day 1 to force the Spurs hand.

Highly doubt it. Leonard knows what's going on. He will be a Spur on a max. They aren't that stupid.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
^

You are wrong . Even after Parsons signed his offer sheet, the Rockets had the opportunity to sign Bosh before matching it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
^

You are wrong . Even after Parsons signed his offer sheet, the Rockets had the opportunity to sign Bosh before matching it.

You bastard
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject:

hi everyone. long time...

if we are talking "realistic" (i mean, sure - marc gasol and jimmy butler should be our targets, or how about lebron ?...), then our number one free agency target should be reggie jackson.

others i'd inquire about -

hibbert, asik, koufos, aldrich

(all depending on availability salary demands, and whether or not we kept our pick and drafted a big man...)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
^

Doesn't matter. Why would kawhi sign a four year deal with 4.5% raises when he can get five and 7.5 from San Antonio? It has already been discussed that he was not extended so they can use his small cap hold to sign someone else and then max him. He would be shooting himself in the foot to sign an offer sheet.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Marc Gasol
Jimmy Butler
Goran Dragic
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
^

Doesn't matter. Why would kawhi sign a four year deal with 4.5% raises when he can get five and 7.5 from San Antonio? It has already been discussed that he was not extended so they can use his small cap hold to sign someone else and then max him. He would be shooting himself in the foot to sign an offer sheet.

Preaching to the choir. I've been saying your point for a while now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

As the season progresses I think that Asik is more likely than I did at the beginning. He and Davis don't seem to be a good fit, I would definitely target him.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

Lakers should flip Hill for a mid first rounder with someone like Charlotte. Might have to take back Stephenson. Try to trade up with Hou and Cha picks, top 12 preferably. Draft Russell and a sf or c maybe Looney. Stein ? Sign Robin Lopez or Tobias Harris depending on who you draft.

Russell/Clarkson/FA?, Kobe/Stephenson, Harris/Young/Kelly, Randle/Davis, Stein/Black/Sacre preferably...Lakers about at the cap right here.

They stink it up again and retain top 3 next year I believe? So a core of Russell/Harris/Randle/Stein/Top 3 pick and 40 million in cap space. Could bring in Durant and Noah and still have some change left.
Russell/Top 3/Durant/Randle/Noah
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject:

greg Monroe. he can score on the block and get boards
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: