The Buss Kids Speak
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you feel better or worse about the Lakers franchise moving forward after reading the Buss kids' interview?
Better. Reserve a spot in Figueroa for me in the next few years.
13%
 13%  [ 13 ]
Worse. Thinking of following "football," I mean soccer.
37%
 37%  [ 36 ]
Still the same.
48%
 48%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 95

Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:

I still can't believe they let Phil Jackson leave the front office. Total Clown Shoes on that move.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
I still can't believe they let Phil Jackson leave the front office. Total Clown Shoes on that move.

Because he's proving in NY what a game changer he is at the executive level?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
From an interview with Phil.

"When I left [the interview], [Lakers owner/executive] Jimmy [Buss] was pretty happy about it and [General Manager] Mitch [Kupchak] was still saying, 'We're going to keep interviewing people,' and I think the ultimate [decision] kind of rested with Dr. Buss and he made the decision in the hospital the day after," said Jackson.

Phil straddling that fence.

Of course the ultimate decision was with Dr. Buss. No one has denied that. But Jim was the one who was interviewing coaches and running the whole process. Then Dr. Buss did the final sign off on it. That puts both (not just Jerry) responsible for the move. And considering Jimbo did most (if not all) of the leg work during the coaching search while Dr. Buss was in the hospital, I give Jimbo more of the blame.

It was Jim's operation.

I agree that both were responsible for the hiring.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Bad mouth? Quite the sensitive one.

Jim has taken ownership of building a contender. Jeannie so far has just blamed others. It would be nice to see her accept some responsibility.

And what specifically is she responsible for? She doesn't have input on basketball decisions. And "contender" is a basketball thing. Profits are higher than they have ever been with her at the helms of marketing operations.

According to her she is responsible for everything. But seemingly accountable for nothing.

So you are dodging the question again, great. No specifics, eh?

All specifics. She said it, she is the boss, so she is in charge of everything regarding the Lakers. You could read what she actually said and try to form an opinion on your own.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:

You can't leave somewhere you never were at. They asked Phil to work as a consultant, he said no.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Voices wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Jim has taken ownership of building a contender. Jeannie so far has just blamed others. It would be nice to see her accept some responsibility.

she is not making the bad roster moves. Jim is. She is the owner. Would jerry say oh boy if this is a bad move....I quit. She has bad employees below her....and I mean bad. When employees are bad you let them go. She has to stop living through her father and what he wanted and create her own legacy and fire jim. Dr buss is gone...and im sorry, I think he was wrong about letting all of them run the business and thinking that jim had jerry west skills.

Dr. Buss brilliant owner, Jim is no chip off the old block unfortunately.

If I was in Jeanie shoes I would clean house on the basketball side of the business and hire Magic to head a group to find the best person available to be VP of basketball operations and then assist the new VP to find the expertise that would restore Lakers management. No more little brothers running the scouting department, no more Chaz, no more JW son part of scouting and no more Mitch even though he is not in charge, a new management group needs to have their own. I know it is wishful thinking, IMO you cannot build a team with non professional experienced b ball minds.

I'm with you, Jeanie needs to act, unfortunately, and another unfortunately, Jim will be in charge for the foreseeable future .

I don't think anybody on this blog wants or wanted to see Jim fail, but family that inherits a business often times are not the best for the business.

I respect and protect your right to have the opinion you wish, no matter what I think of it, but that last line is a bit insulting to anyone who reads those opinions.

You disagree with.... family that inherits a business often times are not the best for the business?
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We don't have to read his mind, we just need to pay attention to what happened and what didn't happen. What didn't happen was Dr. Buss asking Magic to be involved in the FO. I guess logical thought is a thing of the past. And Magic has no idea how to run a FO, you probably said that about Phil too.

Magic ability to run businesses is exceeded by few, he is a brilliant businessman, running the Lakers would not be that difficult for a skilled businessman and great x player like Magic.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We don't have to read his mind, we just need to pay attention to what happened and what didn't happen. What didn't happen was Dr. Buss asking Magic to be involved in the FO. I guess logical thought is a thing of the past. And Magic has no idea how to run a FO, you probably said that about Phil too.

Magic ability to run businesses is exceeded by few, he is a brilliant businessman, running the Lakers would not be that difficult for a skilled businessman and great x player like Magic.

at least on his resume he has shown competence. That he can be successful in something.....Jims resume is what?
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

she is not making the bad roster moves. Jim is. She is the owner. Would jerry say oh boy if this is a bad move....I quit. She has bad employees below her....and I mean bad. When employees are bad you let them go. She has to stop living through her father and what he wanted and create her own legacy and fire jim. Dr buss is gone...and im sorry, I think he was wrong about letting all of them run the business and thinking that jim had jerry west skills.

Dr. Buss brilliant owner, Jim is no chip off the old block unfortunately.

If I was in Jeanie shoes I would clean house on the basketball side of the business and hire Magic to head a group to find the best person available to be VP of basketball operations and then assist the new VP to find the expertise that would restore Lakers management. No more little brothers running the scouting department, no more Chaz, no more JW son part of scouting and no more Mitch even though he is not in charge, a new management group needs to have their own. I know it is wishful thinking, IMO you cannot build a team with non professional experienced b ball minds.

I'm with you, Jeanie needs to act, unfortunately, and another unfortunately, Jim will be in charge for the foreseeable future .

I don't think anybody on this blog wants or wanted to see Jim fail, but family that inherits a business often times are not the best for the business.

I wouldn't include you in it, but I think there is a group here who would love nothing more. I don't understand it, the Lakers have had players and coaches I never cared for, but I would never hope for them to fail. And trusting Magic with anything involved in the FO isn't something I would support, there are reasons he was a part owner with 0 power under Dr. Buss.

ok this last paragraph is so untrue....I cant stop laughing....and you want Jeanie to succeed? stop
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

And what specifically is she responsible for? She doesn't have input on basketball decisions. And "contender" is a basketball thing. Profits are higher than they have ever been with her at the helms of marketing operations.

According to her she is responsible for everything. But seemingly accountable for nothing.

All specifics. She said it, she is the boss, so she is in charge of everything regarding the Lakers. You could read what she actually said and try to form an opinion on your own.

Youre ridiculous bro. Talk about cherry picking quotes. She empowers Jim to make decisions. She does not have a hand in basketball decision making. How can you hold on so hard to some quotes while being completely ignorant and oblivious of others?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I would agree if they wanted Magic to run the business side of things, but the business side of things has never been a problem with the Lakers and never will be. It would take a supreme moron to mess it up.

As for running the basketball side of things, there is no evidence that Magic would be capable of doing that. In fact, very very few great players have shown anything but gross incompetence on that front.

It's far more likely that Magic would be about as good at running the basketball side of things as he was at being a coach or talk show host.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I would agree if they wanted Magic to run the business side of things, but the business side of things has never been a problem with the Lakers and never will be. It would take a supreme moron to mess it up.

As for running the basketball side of things, there is no evidence that Magic would be capable of doing that. In fact, very very few great players have shown anything but gross incompetence on that front.

It's far more likely that Magic would be about as good at running the basketball side of things as he was at being a coach or talk show host.

He can't be worst than Jim buss.... At least he has basketball knowledge and has played the game at a high level
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He can't be worst than Jim buss.... At least he has basketball knowledge and has played the game at a high level

Really? How did Michael Jordan do running a front office? Elgin Baylor? Isaiah Thomas? Last time I checked they knew a bit about the game too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

at least on his resume he has shown competence. That he can be successful in something.....Jims resume is what?

Over a decade in the Laker FO with Jerry West and Mitch with 5 titles during that time.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He's overrated as a businessman IMO. The difference? He has enough money to afford to fail (which he has in business on a number of occasions).
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He's overrated as a businessman IMO. The difference? He has enough money to afford to fail (which he has in business on a number of occasions).

Interesting, how did Magic get enough money so he could afford to fail?

I would think every time Magic steps aboard his private jet he feels pretty special. Them there jets are expensive.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

@voice.

Them jets are crazy indeed. 60k coffee maker. maintenance/crew is already 10% of the cost of the jet/yr. Plus magic earned his successful businessmen status by working for it (albeit playing a game) and investing his earned money to get to where he's at.

What did Jim do? all his decision making and subsequent failures were banked and guaranteed by dad... until now. Sis ain't on board with freewheeling incompetence. Them days of "Jerry approved of it" are gone, Jimbo.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Any businessman who hasn't had business failures isn't a true businessman. Its about having the courage to go out there and not being afraid to fail.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
@voice.

Them jets are crazy indeed. 60k coffee maker. maintenance/crew is already 10% of the cost of the jet/yr. Plus magic earned his successful businessmen status by working for it (albeit playing a game) and investing his earned money to get to where he's at.

What did Jim do? all his decision making and subsequent failures were banked and guaranteed by dad... until now. Sis ain't on board with freewheeling incompetence. Them days of "Jerry approved of it" are gone, Jimbo.

Didn't Scottie Pippen almost lose the last of his fortune earned playing basketball player due to a business jet deal gone bad? Those things are expensive to maintain and run.
raiderkobe
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Jimbo is not only an idiot but a coward too. Blaming his deceased father for D'antoni hiring is inexcusable. Jerry had his own issues with Phil and those personal feelings came in to play with his decision. He resented that Phil took all the credit for the 5 rings; demanded too much money; was banging his daughter; etc. so I'm not surprised he preferred D'antoni. But as the one in charge, it was up to Jimbo to put personal feelings aside and pick the best man for the job and that was clearly Phil.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
@voice.

exactly! jim cant blame anything else on daddy! All his mistakes are pasted right on him and he is covered with crap
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Any businessman who hasn't had business failures isn't a true businessman. Its about having the courage to go out there and not being afraid to fail.

Just because someone has the courage to go out and fail doesn't mean they are good. Plenty of morons are ignorant enough not to be afraid of failure, but that doesn't mean they are qualified to succeed.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Jeannie is at the top of the food chain and the buck stops with her. She does not have say over the micro decisions Jim makes. But she does have the say as to wether or not Jim has been making good decisions, and her responsibility is to replace Jim if his decisions are not panning out well enough.

I am not sure why people like @24 and @VLF have such a hard time comprehending what Jeannie Buss means when she says the buck stops with her. She is not responsible fore the individual decisions made at the basketball level. She is responsible for hiring and firing the people who make those decisions.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

With your extensive experience in large scale corporate enterprises I can;t believe you have such a hard time comprehending what Jeannie was trying to say. She should have done a better job of dumbing down her comments to a level where remedial individuals such as you and @24 could better comprehend them. The buck stops with her, so she is responsible for the final result of what happens with the lakers, but she is not behind every small decision the lakers make on the basketball operations side of things. She is responsible for hiring and firing the people who make the small decisions on the basketball decisions side of things. If Jims decisions are not working out, she is responsible for firing Jim and replacing him with someone more competent. She is not responsible for making Jim's decisions for him.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Over a decade in the Laker FO with Jerry West and Mitch with 5 titles during that time.

You can't fight for both sides ventura. On one side you say when Phil is involved he plays too heavy of a role in the decisions, and therefore Jim and Jerry didn't like the idea of him being involved in the front office, but when arguing that Jim is qualified, you say that those years where Phil was involved should partly be credited to Jimmy. You either see it one way or the other. Which is it?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15
Jump to: