LAKERS -at- SPURS - 12-12-14 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.

No 3rd quarter meltdown. Yay!

The Spurs did a bit of choking here and helped the Lakers. Manu missed a big FT in I think the last minute of regulation that could have won them the game.
Also got a break from Parker not being himself but the backup guard played almost as well and seems quicker than Parker. He made some huge plays for them.

I just don't agree with Byron's moves. Kobe as PG means a more tired Kobe who somehow had the adrenaline and willed his way to play PG in not only the last few minutes but the first almost 4 minutes of OT. I thought when Byron didn't have Lin in OT that was a mistake. And it almost cost the team the win. Kobe's fatigue showed in late regulation game TOs. And he just sort of chugged along in OT.

And about the starting lineup DB says: We’ve got to have one of Price/Johnson step up every game with that unit. Problem is, they won’t.

Right, if Wes does that's good and it happens sometimes, but usually not. Price isn't working out at all. Even if he has a game where his shot falls, those will be few and far between. Davis can score, and his best feeder is on the bench so maybe bring Lin in at the 6 minute mark and have him be a bridge to the 2nd unit. Just a thought. Lin should play 32 minutes and I believe he should close games. There needs to be a PG in there closing games and Lin will get used to closing games as a Laker, he's been pretty clutch in crunch time for former teams, it's nothing new to him.

Now Young also has to take more late-game shots, especially when he's hot, sometimes over Kobe and Kobe can facilitate mostly from the low block. So, Kobe, Young and Lin with bigs should really practice some things together and simulate as best they can late-game situations. Byron's team is weak executing in crunch time and it becomes Kobe save us when it doesn't have to be.

Closing out games I think should be Kobe, Young, Lin, Hill and either Davis or Boozer. I don't like the lack of a PG at all.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! And thanks for giving B Scott a little bit of credit. Too many people have personal agendas for their favorite players which involves a hissy fit and a cat fight over why Scott isn't playing their preferred player like they want him to. Like I said last T&R, it's getting tiresome.

Lakers lose, B Scott criticism outside of P&M is fair game. Lakers win, coach should get some credit.
Charisma
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I agree with others that we won despite BScott.

And the team made 24 3's attempts. That's a no-no in BScott's book haha.

Swaggy3 is awesome. Imagine if he didn't miss the beginning of the season...

We beat the defending champion on the road! Lakers >>>> Spurs
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

Alloy wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
only thing i disagree with is giving props to BScott. he is a turrible coach. going no PG for as long as he did reeks of the same stubborn, vehement idiocy he has shown this whole season. he practically gave the game away in regulation--by all rights the lakers should've lost in regulation. i think one manu ginobili FT was the difference.

Aside from the last 2 minutes in 4th quarter, I thought he did a pretty good job. Gotta give credit when the credit is due.
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Alloy wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
only thing i disagree with is giving props to BScott. he is a turrible coach. going no PG for as long as he did reeks of the same stubborn, vehement idiocy he has shown this whole season. he practically gave the game away in regulation--by all rights the lakers should've lost in regulation. i think one manu ginobili FT was the difference.

Aside from the last 2 minutes in 4th quarter, I thought he did a pretty good job. Gotta give credit when the credit is due.

Yes, the best move of Byron was taking Price out after 5 minutes, the momentum changed right there... He did an excellent job...
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Honeybadger81 wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
Alloy wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:

Yes, the best move of Byron was taking Price out after 5 minutes, the momentum changed right there... He did an excellent job...

I note sarcasm with your lol smily. But if you agreed with Scott taking out Price after 5 minutes then why the sarcasm. Just say, "I don't like a lot of things Scott did but props to him for subbing out Price."

I can see it absolutely kills people to have to give B Scott credit for ANYTHING. If the Lakers win it was purely accidental. Ok,
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
Alloy wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:

I note sarcasm with your lol smily. But if you agreed with Scott taking out Price after 5 minutes then why the sarcasm. Just say, "I don't like a lot of things Scott did but props to him for subbing out Price."

I can see it absolutely kills people to have to give B Scott credit for ANYTHING. If the Lakers win it was purely accidental. Ok,

Just being playful. He did not mess it up with a little luck at the end, I'd give him that.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Honeybadger81 wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
Alloy wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:

Just being playful. He did not mess it up with a little luck at the end, I'd give him that.

I admit, I'm taking this a little too seriously lately. In the last two wins I continued to see all threads dominated by negative posts about either certain players but especially about coach Scott. Was hoping to see most people lighten up a little as well. I let it get to me and lashed out.

I'll try to lighten up and not take any future frustration out on everybody else.
Type Raba
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
Alloy wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:

lets be honest, he took price out because of the 2 fouls. lin wasnt waiting at the scorer's table or anything....
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Type Raba wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
Alloy wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:

lets be honest, he took price out because of the 2 fouls. lin wasnt waiting at the scorer's table or anything....

You may be right. I'm not defending Scott on any specific thing like that. I do give Scott some credit for a better and more consistent defensive showing.

I understand the criticism and don't want to read too much into what posters are saying. I do disagree with the original quoted poster who said B Scott has shown nothing but "the same stubborn, vehement idiocy he has shown the whole season." C'mon, a broken clock is right two times a day, right? I give him credit for at least that...
amak316
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

In the 4th quarter, when it seemed like they went to the replay 3-4 times to see who had possession, there were very long delays all the spurs players were huddled around Pop to use it as almost a "bonus" time out where they would make adjustments. None of the lakers players felt like Byrons opinion was even worth hearing as they all stood around on the court. It is clear to everyone that Byrons basketball knowledge is useless, and it bothers me that Byron didn't yell and force his team to gameplan. He just seems to have no redeeming qualities as a coach.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:

The only thing I would give him credit for in this game is perhaps emphasizing to the guys to keep their hands up on D. They forced a lot of turnovers with active hands.

Otherwise, he made a ton of mistakes including:
- Starting Price
- Playing Kobe entire quarters, and generally running him into the ground
- Pulling players right after they got going
- Not putting in a PG when the team had trouble hanging on to the ball
- Not calling a timeout to advance the ball with seconds left in the game

If Manu doesn't miss a free throw, if Swaggy didn't happen to jump at the exact right time to prevent a lob from Diaw to Manu at the end of regulation, and if Swaggy doesn't hit a miracle three, then we would all be on Byron for blundering the game away.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject:

amak316 wrote:
In the 4th quarter, when it seemed like they went to the replay 3-4 times to see who had possession, there were very long delays all the spurs players were huddled around Pop to use it as almost a "bonus" time out where they would make adjustments. None of the lakers players felt like Byrons opinion was even worth hearing as they all stood around on the court. It is clear to everyone that Byrons basketball knowledge is useless, and it bothers me that Byron didn't yell and force his team to gameplan. He just seems to have no redeeming qualities as a coach.

Van Gandy said that the Laker players self-caged to not take the extra time-outs as they should do.
koen
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- SPURS - 12-12-14 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with the DB emoticon stats of the team: (my observations from typing up the whole thing is that the team is very inconsistent, the three most consistent persons on the team are Byron, Wes, and Ronnie and they are the most consistently bad )

Game__________BS_____KB_____JH_____CB_____WJ_____JL_____ED_____RP_____NY_____WE_____RS_____JC
10/28/2014______ ___ ___ ____ _____ ____ ___ _____ _____ -- ______ -- _____ _____
10/29/2014______ ____ ______ ___ ___ _____ _____ _____ _____ -- ______ ____ _____
10/31/2014______ _____ __ _ ___ __ ____ _____ _____ -- ______ ____ _____
11/1/2014_______ ___ ____ ____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ -- ______ _____ ____
11/4/2014_______ _____ _____ ___ ___ ____ ___ _____ _____ -- ______ _____ -- ______
11/9/2014_______ ____ _____ ____ _____ ____ ___ _____ _____ -- ______ _____ _____ --
11/11/2014______ _____ _____ ____ ______ ____ _____ _____ _____ -- ______ -- _____ _____
11/12/2014______ ____ ____ ____ _____ _____ _____ ____ _____ -- _______ -- _____ _____
11/14/2014______ _____ _____ ____ _____ _____ _____ ____ -- _____ -- _______ -- ____ ____
11/16/2014______ _ _____ ___ ____ _____ _____ ____ _____ -- ______ -- ______ _____
11/18/2014______ ____ ______ ____ _____ ____ ____ _____ _ __ -- _____ ____ __
11/19/2014 DIY
11/21/2014______ ____ ______ ____ _____ _____ ______ ____ ____ ______ _____ _____
11/23/2014______ ___ ____ _____ -- _____ ____ ____ _____ ____ _____ _____ ____ --
11/26/2014 DIY
11/28/2014______ _ ___ ____ _____ ____ ___ ___ ___ : ____ _____ ______ --
11/30/2014_ _ _ _ ____ ____ ____ _____ ___ ____ _____ ______ --
12/2/2014_______ _ __ ___ __ ____ ______ _____ ____ _____ _____ _____ --
12/3/2014_______ ___ ____ _____ ____ _____ ______ _____ ____ _____ _____ ______ --
12/5/2014____ ___ ______ __ ___ ____ ____ _____ ___ ____ ___ ___
12/7/2014______ _____ ______ ___ _____ ____ ___ ____ ____ ______ _____ _____
12/9/2014____ _ __ ____ _____ ____ ____ _____ ____ _____ _____ ____ --
12/12/2014_____ _____ _____ __ ___ _____ ______ _____ _ _ ___ ____ --
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- SPURS - 12-12-14 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

koen wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with the DB emoticon stats of the team: (my observations from typing up the whole thing is that the team is very inconsistent, the three most consistent persons on the team are Byron, Wes, and Ronnie and they are the most consistently bad )

Game__________BS_____KB_____JH_____CB_____WJ_____JL_____ED_____RP_____NY_____WE_____RS_____JC
10/28/2014______ ___ ___ ____ _____ ____ ___ _____ _____ -- ______ -- _____ _____
10/29/2014______ ____ ______ ___ ___ _____ _____ _____ _____ -- ______ ____ _____
10/31/2014______ _____ __ _ ___ __ ____ _____ _____ -- ______ ____ _____
11/1/2014_______ ___ ____ ____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ -- ______ _____ ____
11/4/2014_______ _____ _____ ___ ___ ____ ___ _____ _____ -- ______ _____ -- ______
11/9/2014_______ ____ _____ ____ _____ ____ ___ _____ _____ -- ______ _____ _____ --
11/11/2014______ _____ _____ ____ ______ ____ _____ _____ _____ -- ______ -- _____ _____
11/12/2014______ ____ ____ ____ _____ _____ _____ ____ _____ -- _______ -- _____ _____
11/14/2014______ _____ _____ ____ _____ _____ _____ ____ -- _____ -- _______ -- ____ ____
11/16/2014______ _ _____ ___ ____ _____ _____ ____ _____ -- ______ -- ______ _____
11/18/2014______ ____ ______ ____ _____ ____ ____ _____ _ __ -- _____ ____ __
11/19/2014 DIY
11/21/2014______ ____ ______ ____ _____ _____ ______ ____ ____ ______ _____ _____
11/23/2014______ ___ ____ _____ -- _____ ____ ____ _____ ____ _____ _____ ____ --
11/26/2014 DIY
11/28/2014______ _ ___ ____ _____ ____ ___ ___ ___ : ____ _____ ______ --
11/30/2014_ _ _ _ ____ ____ ____ _____ ___ ____ _____ ______ --
12/2/2014_______ _ __ ___ __ ____ ______ _____ ____ _____ _____ _____ --
12/3/2014_______ ___ ____ _____ ____ _____ ______ _____ ____ _____ _____ ______ --
12/5/2014____ ___ ______ __ ___ ____ ____ _____ ___ ____ ___ ___
12/7/2014______ _____ ______ ___ _____ ____ ___ ____ ____ ______ _____ _____
12/9/2014____ _ __ ____ _____ ____ ____ _____ ____ _____ _____ ____ --
12/12/2014_____ _____ _____ __ ___ _____ ______ _____ _ _ ___ ____ --

That's cool!!!
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject:

Nice work!
thisissami
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- SPURS - 12-12-14 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

i've been reading these forums for a while now (thank you DB for the awesome summaries). seeing the tank for bscott in this list made me burst out laughing for quite some time. so much so that i had to create an account to post about it!

also - totally agree with this:

fiendishoc wrote:
The only thing I would give him credit for in this game is perhaps emphasizing to the guys to keep their hands up on D. They forced a lot of turnovers with active hands.

Otherwise, he made a ton of mistakes including:
- Starting Price
- Playing Kobe entire quarters, and generally running him into the ground
- Pulling players right after they got going
- Not putting in a PG when the team had trouble hanging on to the ball
- Not calling a timeout to advance the ball with seconds left in the game

If Manu doesn't miss a free throw, if Swaggy didn't happen to jump at the exact right time to prevent a lob from Diaw to Manu at the end of regulation, and if Swaggy doesn't hit a miracle three, then we would all be on Byron for blundering the game away.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
The Spurs did a bit of choking here and helped the Lakers. Manu missed a big FT in I think the last minute of regulation that could have won them the game.
Also got a break from Parker not being himself but the backup guard played almost as well and seems quicker than Parker. He made some huge plays for them.
Faacinating that we are are providing excuses on why the defending champions that destroyed LBJ's Heat, a proven clutch player that missed a FT and a future HOF PG that did not played well AT HOME lost the game who did not have their projected starting PG (Nash), their first round draft choice (Randle), their Stretch 4 (RKelly) and projected key member of the bench (X).
bws94 wrote:
I just don't agree with Byron's moves. Kobe as PG means a more tired Kobe who somehow had the adrenaline and willed his way to play PG in not only the last few minutes but the first almost 4 minutes of OT. I thought when Byron didn't have Lin in OT that was a mistake. And it almost cost the team the win. Kobe's fatigue showed in late regulation game TOs. And he just sort of chugged along in OT.
Even a JLin supporter like myself saw that he was ineffective during crunch time late in the 4th quarter (especially during key moments when the Spurs quickly eliminated an 8 point deficit and he was just not closing on seemingly consecutive offensive plays that provided the Spurs the momentum. If he would have closed at least one drive, game would have been over. Hopefully JLin will learn how to be a Prime Time Player while playing against elite teams like the Spurs. If JLin is having problems against Joseph - imagine the issues when he is facing CP3, Parker, DRose, Lillard, Curry, Irving and other like-minded opposite numbers in the playoffs
bws94 wrote:
And about the starting lineup DB says: We’ve got to have one of Price/Johnson step up every game with that unit. Problem is, they won’t.

Right, if Wes does that's good and it happens sometimes, but usually not. Price isn't working out at all. Even if he has a game where his shot falls, those will be few and far between. Davis can score, and his best feeder is on the bench so maybe bring Lin in at the 6 minute mark and have him be a bridge to the 2nd unit. Just a thought. Lin should play 32 minutes and I believe he should close games. There needs to be a PG in there closing games and Lin will get used to closing games as a Laker, he's been pretty clutch in crunch time for former teams, it's nothing new to him.
As shared above JLin was having problems during last game's Crunch Time. Closing on a totally bad Knicks team with no expectations is easy. Are you saying that on a D12/Harden-led team that he was closing? Doubt that he handled or shot the ball much with those two ball hogs on the court - hence the reason why Beverly was usually on the court at the end of their games.

BScott is hoping that his players that have shown glimpses/indications (albeit very inconsistently) will eventually put their defensive presence at the start of games. The other benefits are that a JLin/Boozer/Young lineup can see how the game is flowing and will generally be playing against the opposing teams' bench players that allows them to be more productive. Boozer and JLin were having serious problems playing against their opposing numbers at the start of games.

With BScott's limited options, there are not many choices beyond Clarkson.
bws94 wrote:
Now Young also has to take more late-game shots, especially when he's hot, sometimes over Kobe and Kobe can facilitate mostly from the low block. So, Kobe, Young and Lin with bigs should really practice some things together and simulate as best they can late-game situations. Byron's team is weak executing in crunch time and it becomes Kobe save us when it doesn't have to be.

Closing out games I think should be Kobe, Young, Lin, Hill and either Davis or Boozer. I don't like the lack of a PG at all.
Kobe is not too bad at PG, though not ideal
koen
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Even a JLin supporter like myself saw that he was ineffective during crunch time late in the 4th quarter (especially during key moments when the Spurs quickly eliminated an 8 point deficit and he was just not closing on seemingly consecutive offensive plays that provided the Spurs the momentum. If he would have closed at least one drive, game would have been over. Hopefully JLin will learn how to be a Prime Time Player while playing against elite teams like the Spurs. If JLin is having problems against Joseph - imagine the issues when he is facing CP3, Parker, DRose, Lillard, Curry, Irving and other like-minded opposite numbers in the playoffs

Is Lin supposed to stick his leg out from the bench and trip the Spurs' player with the ball?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

koen wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Is Lin supposed to stick his leg out from the bench and trip the Spurs' player with the ball?
Did you not see a key few minutes when JLin, our PG, was not closing and settling the team down allowing Big Mo to continue to stay with the Spurs?

At least tripping the player would have allowed the team to settle down and allowed the time to learn that running one's offense to get a good shot is the way to go.

When JLin shared that he did not realize that he was up against a very short clock in the final moments of the game - where he was got bailed out by Swaggy P's heroics after he missed a wide open Johnson cutting towards the basket - did that not concerned you?

Imagine if JLin just kept the ball to get a 24 seconds violation that did not even provide the opportunity to get any shot off (maybe a desperation heave by JLin at the last second). Should one expect every good NBA player have an internal 24 seconds clock in their head, especially PGs!

JLin performed well during the other parts of the game. It is the little details that separates the winners from everybody else
koen
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Did you not see a key few minutes when JLin, our PG, was not closing and settling the team down allowing Big Mo to continue to stay with the Spurs?

At least tripping the player would have allowed the team to settle down and allowed the time to learn that running one's offense to get a good shot is the way to go.

Crunch time in the 4th generally would refer to the last couple minutes of the 4th quarter. So I was thinking about that stretch when both point guards were sitting on the bench and the Spurs came back from their deficit.

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
When JLin shared that he did not realize that he was up against a very short clock in the final moments of the game - where he was got bailed out by Swaggy P's heroics after he missed a wide open Johnson cutting towards the basket

I thought that was a bad play too and mentioned it in the game thread. Nick bailed him out. But just a bit before that, he was also key in getting a foul called on Duncan and getting the ball back in the Lakers' hands, or it would have been game over as well. I also thought Wes was standing behind the 3 line? I could have remembered wrong. But a wide open Wes probably had less chance of hitting a 3 than Nick in this game. I don't think Lin even saw Wes wide open though.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- SPURS - 12-12-14 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

koen wrote:

Nice work, Koen!

Thanks!

And obviously too little dancing on that sheet.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: