One intangible as to why I would put prime Magic over Kobe and Jordan.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: One intangible as to why I would put prime Magic over Kobe and Jordan.

Given the recent Kobe tirade:

Kobe's leadership style is questionable just as Jordan's leadership style was.

I asked myself after seeing this, would I rather have Magic as a teammate or Kobe/Jordan as a teammate, and the answer would definitely be I would rather have Magic as a teammate. Magic was just as good of a closer as Michael and Kobe was but I think he fueled his team by making the game more enjoyable.

I think as a team, Magic's Lakers generally had a more fun time playing the game of basketball. I don't think you get to the finals 9 times by not enjoying playing with Magic. Of course they still put in the hard work, but it was fun. When playing with Kobe it probably feels like going to work, but when playing with Magic you worked hard, but it didn't feel like work because you are having a lot of fun playing with Magic.

That is why I always consider Magic as the GOAT over both Kobe and Jordan. The mount Rushmore can definitely be in this order:

1. Magic
2. Kobe
3. Jordan
4. Kareem
5. Wilt Chamberlin

If I had to choose I would rather have fun while winning championships, than be under a Kobe/Jordan leadership and not have fun/as much fun while winning championships.

The only guy that is probably having fun on the Lakers right now is Nick Young. But Nick Young is gonna have fun no matter who is on his team.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Magic is the greatest leader for sure, but as a basketball player, his skills are no where near mj and kobe
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Magic definitely had his "bad cop" side to him. But yes, he is a much more jovial, gentle type of person.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Magic is my fave all time NBA player. But I can't agree that overall he's better than MJ and Kobe. Those guys dominated both sides of the ball.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: One intangible as to why I would put prime Magic over Kobe and Jordan.

Jeggs wrote:

I asked myself after seeing this, would I rather have Magic as a teammate or Kobe/Jordan as a teammate, and the answer would definitely be I would rather have Magic as a teammate. Magic was just as good of a closer as Michael and Kobe was but I think he fueled his team by making the game more enjoyable.

I think as a team, Magic's Lakers generally had a more fun time playing the game of basketball. I don't think you get to the finals 9 times by not enjoying playing with Magic. Of course they still put in the hard work, but it was fun. When playing with Kobe it probably feels like going to work, but when playing with Magic you worked hard, but it didn't feel like work because you are having a lot of fun playing with Magic.

That is why I always consider Magic as the GOAT over both Kobe and Jordan. The mount Rushmore can definitely be in this order:

1. Magic
2. Kobe
3. Jordan
4. Kareem
5. Wilt Chamberlin

If I had to choose I would rather have fun while winning championships, than be under a Kobe/Jordan leadership and not have fun/as much fun while winning championships.

The only guy that is probably having fun on the Lakers right now is Nick Young. But Nick Young is gonna have fun no matter who is on his team.

i think you are trying to put Magic in the same personality category as Dwight Howard and that was not the case with Magic. Magic just didn't experience the misfortune of awful teams.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

My ideal leader wouldn't ever support tanking.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I hear time and time again how players are (were) better than Magic. I say BS. Sure, he did not have an athletic bone in his body. The only thing he did was WIN. He would have had MANY more championships if not for injuries (we only lost one championship when we were healthy) and having his career cut short. There has never been a player better at making teammates BETTER than what they were. He could dominate a game without scoring a point. I have yet to see a player come close to those intangibles. I will say that we have beaten this subject to many times in the past.

Last edited by RI Laker on Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject:

I was too young to ever watch Magic play, but he's just a special human being. If he never played basketball, he would've had the same effect on people as a businessman or a mentor of some sort. He just has an uncanny outward joy and empathy about him as a man where his masculine and feminine sides are perfectly balanced.

Kobe and MJ are good leaders, but in a raw, old school way. That type of leadership can be very abrasive over time. Magic (and Phil Jackson for that matter) are like a study in modern day, 21st century leadership where it's more about inspiring and infusing positive energy in people, versus bossing and managing people.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

For all of Kobe's greatness I have never thought of him as a leader. Same goes for Kareem and MJ. Magic on the other hand was the consummate leader.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
My ideal leader wouldn't ever support tanking.

When Magic played, he would never have said tank. But as a "super"
fan, I think he's as venerable as anyone today. I got his back, he was a
terrific Laker and today he must be bleeding purple and gold blood.

I'm good with Magic.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject:

By leader do you mean people like him?

By not a good leader do you mean people hate him?

Because it seems that this is the evidence people use to describe "leaders"
tbytc2012
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: One intangible as to why I would put prime Magic over Kobe and Jordan.

Jeggs wrote:

1. Magic
2. Kobe
3. Jordan
4. Kareem
5. Wilt Chamberlin

Seriously don't compare amateur with professional.
"Having fun"? It is just soft generation.
Everyone just wants to have fun and no one want to take the responsibility. If you (bleep) up sth/ suck at what you do, you deserve to get blamed.
Phillycheese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I always liked the Gretzky vs Messier comparison. Gretzky was the better stat stuffer and greatest of all time. Messier was clearly the better leader of men. But on that team messier was never the Captain because Gretzky did enough to warrant being the Captain.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

I would put Magic over Kobe and Jordan because I think he was the better player.
Phillycheese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I would put Magic over Kobe and Jordan because I think he was the better player.
OK, this is an interesting comment. Why is this so? Not being sarcastic.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

I don't judge players on intangibles. I judge on talent.

Kobe and MJ were just better players than Magic ever was
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Phillycheese wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
OK, this is an interesting comment. Why is this so? Not being sarcastic.

He was the one out of the 3 that could beat you in any way imaginable. It was his skill in the post as a perimeter player that puts him above the two of them. Both Kobe and MJ were tough in the post, but no where close to being in Magic's category.
Phillycheese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: One intangible as to why I would put prime Magic over Kobe and Jordan.

kobeandgary wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

1. Magic
2. Kobe
3. Jordan
4. Kareem
5. Wilt Chamberlin

i think you are trying to put Magic in the same personality category as Dwight Howard and that was not the case with Magic. Magic just didn't experience the misfortune of awful teams.
I agree. Magic was a tough SOB, ruthless when he needed to be (coach killer), twofaced (Isaiah Thomas) but outwardly he was very good at giving off a statesman's air. For all Kobe's greatness he comes off as a petulent child when not getting his way.
ROTL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Jordan and Kobe had no weaknesses on the court. Magic did. Jordan>Kobe>Magic.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject:

ROTL wrote:

What weakness was that?
ROTL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ROTL wrote:

What weakness was that?

Defense and perimeter shooting.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject:

ROTL wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ROTL wrote:

What weakness was that?

Defense and perimeter shooting.

Those weren't weaknesses for Magic. He wasn't as good of a defender as MJ and Kobe, but it was hardly a weakness. And Kobe isn't a better perimeter shooter than Magic. Neither Kobe nor Jordan come close to Magic's versatility as an offensive player. Better rebounder as well.
ROTL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Defense and jump shooting were absolutely a weakness for Magic. He was often a defensive liability. And LMFAO at Kobe not being a better perimeter shooter than Magic. Hilarious.

Kobe and Jordan were better and greater players than Magic.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

ROTL wrote:
Defense and jump shooting were absolutely a weakness for Magic. He was often a defensive liability. And LMFAO at Kobe not being a better perimeter shooter than Magic. Hilarious.

I see you believe hype, good for you. Watching those Showtime teams, Magic was hardly a defensive liability. Not nearly as much as he was an offensive matchup problem for the rest of the league. Kobe isn't a good perimeter shooter at all.

Of course, none of them can come close to the career as a basketball player that Kareem had.
ROTL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ROTL wrote:

I see you believe hype, good for you. Watching those Showtime teams, Magic was hardly a defensive liability. Not nearly as much as he was an offensive matchup problem for the rest of the league. Kobe isn't a good perimeter shooter at all.

Of course, none of them can come close to the career as a basketball player that Kareem had.

Wow...yea you're not worth my time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: