Rondo trade talks going on (pg 16 - Rondo to Dallas almost done)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
We really screwed up. Could have probably gotten Rondo and Green for Lin, Nash, and a pick that really we won't even get. When we miss out on the top 5 in the lottery, don't come in here acting like you wanted to do this deal.

How can we trade a pick we already owe to Phoenix? Would the Suns and Celtics split the pick? Flip a coin for who gets to use it?

Celtics were banking on the odds the Lakers would get a top 5 pick. If they didn't, they were left with nothing.

That's how bad all the offers were, which is why the deal they accepted is on the level of our deal for Pau Gasol.

They practically gave him away....a 1st rounder for 2015 (which is gonna be a 20 something pick) and a 2nd rounder for 2016...............

Either Ainge really didn't want to send Rondo to the Lakers or Mitch and Jim are scarred to have Rondo do what Howard did to them.

Like the saying goes "Scared money don't make no money"

Dallas' offer was better than Nash + a pick. If the Celtics went with the Lakers offer instead and Mitch had essentially turned Steve Nash's personnel file into Rajon Rondo and Jeremy Lin,
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Boston tank mode is on full effect.

Were stuck in the middle I'm afraid.

Not really disappointed about Rondo because I don't expect any big moves from the Lakers. We simply don't have enough resources and are not a desirable destination at the moment.

What scares me is that we've falling behind in the rebuild plan.

You really should not get scared about something you cannot control

Simply, our FO is inept and we are seeing the results.

The results are simply related to our bad FO. Get use to it.
pooh108159
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
pooh108159 wrote:
Thats good now we know what the value is for other guys. Boston lost on this deal bad.

They got 3 rotation players, a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick for a guy they were going to lose in 4 months for nothing.
i wonder who are we looking at. Bledsoe, dragic, T ross, etc
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm trying to understand why we have no interest in sign and trading our free agent all-stars, or even trading them at deadline for some picks, yet we seem to have no issue with trading our picks for other team's soon to be FA's.

It's a bit mind boggling to be honest. What if some idiot had given Rondo 18 M a year? We shouldn't match and lose the top 5 pick (we'd be too good for the bottom 5 with RR) and the Hou pick for 4 months of Rondo. Really not digging the undervaluing of our picks.

It's how we got some depth around the core of Kobe/Gasol/Odom that won rings. Bynum, Turiaf, Sasha, Farmar and Luke were all our picks. We need value them.

I'm happy Rondo is in Dallas. That Houston pick is an asset. Even if every 3rd 1st round pick is a good one, you still keeping playing the draft pool. Lakers need to stop the quick fixes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I'm trying to understand why we have no interest in sign and trading our free agent all-stars, or even trading them at deadline for some picks, yet we seem to have no issue with trading our picks for other team's soon to be FA's.

It's a bit mind boggling to be honest. What if some idiot had given Rondo 18 M a year? We shouldn't match and lose the top 5 pick (we'd be too good for the bottom 5 with RR) and the Hou pick for 4 months of Rondo. Really not digging the undervaluing of our picks.

It's how we got some depth around the core of Kobe/Gasol/Odom that won rings. Bynum, Turiaf, Sasha, Farmar and Luke were all our picks. We need value them.

I'm happy Rondo is in Dallas. That Houston pick is an asset. Even if every 3rd 1st round pick is a good one, you still keeping playing the draft pool. Lakers need to stop the quick fixes.

After this deal, the Celtics will have acquired something like 7 first round picks over the next 3 years!

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Last edited by laserboy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

It's one thing to play fast and loose with picks when you're a contender and you can afford to unload them for pieces here and there that will keep it going. In our current position, we shouldn't be gambling with them when the cupboard is bare.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Stop the presses....on second hand the Celtics got even less than we thought....
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/19/report-draft-pick-mavericks-sent-to-celtics-in-rajon-rondo-trade-heavily-protected/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Stop the presses....on second hand the Celtics got even less than we thought....
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/19/report-draft-pick-mavericks-sent-to-celtics-in-rajon-rondo-trade-heavily-protected/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

You are looking at it wrong. The Mavs are a likely playoff team this year, so Boston doesn't want the pick from this draft. After that it's only top 7 protected until 2020. Dirk will retire at some point and odds are it will be a lotto pick.

Round of applause for Ainge.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

You are looking at it wrong. The Mavs are a likely playoff team this year, so Boston doesn't want the pick from this draft. After that it's only top 7 protected until 2020. Dirk will retire at some point and odds are it will be a lotto pick.

i dont think you understand how it works. If dallas is better than 7th worst next year, thats the pick boston gets, and every year thereafter. They dont get to wait until Dirk retires. They will almost certainly end up with a pick in the 20's, next year.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

i dont think you understand how it works. If dallas is better than 7th worst next year, thats the pick boston gets, and every year thereafter. They dont get to wait until Dirk retires. They will almost certainly end up with a pick in the 20's, next year.

I stand corrected. It's not a for sure lotto pick but it's still a better pick then we thought they got initially. It's only slightly lotto protected after next year (top 7).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
24 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I stand corrected. It's not a for sure lotto pick but it's still a better pick then we thought they got initially. It's only slightly lotto protected after next year (top 7).

Dallas will max rondo out, and likely keep chandler and Monta. So the pick will likely be next year's, and it will likely be about as high as this year's.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Agreed, but just in case something happens he did better than we thought on the pick and got it only slightly lotto protected. I mean, we all thought there was no need to put heavy protection on the Nash picks, right? Just for comparison....
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
^^^ Agreed, but just in case something happens he did better than we thought on the pick and got it only slightly lotto protected. I mean, we all thought there was no need to put heavy protection on the Nash picks, right? Just for comparison....

Not sure i follow. Nash was multiple picks years out. This is one pick, and frankly, dallas could have given them this year's. Dallas was the one making sure the pick was future, not Boston.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Not sure i follow. Nash was multiple picks years out. This is one pick, and frankly, dallas could have given them this year's. Dallas was the one making sure the pick was future, not Boston.

I'm saying he did well to only get it top 7 protected. Odds are Dallas will make the playoffs and it will just be a late pick, but "you never know", which is why you would expect to see better protection on it. He still has a shot at the lotto with the pick and no one expected that.

Nash was multiple years out but no one expected y'all to be in the lotto....like ever. You never know....
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, maybe they'll get lucky and get a lotto pick instead of giving him away for almost nothing.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject:

You guys don't get it - Rondo was leaving anyway, and they got what they could. We should have gotten some assets for Pau, but are inept.

Speaking of Pau, a lot of Celtics fans are saying that they wish they did the Pau/Rondo trade when it was available.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
You guys don't get it - Rondo was leaving anyway, and they got what they could. We should have gotten some assets for Pau, but are inept.

Speaking of Pau, a lot of Celtics fans are saying that they wish they did the Pau/Rondo trade when it was available.

We didn't even got picks for Pau. We were offered only Emeka Okafor. Plus Pau almost netted us Melo, well not almost but he was part of it. I'm fine with not trading Pau for Emeka, we should all be. I'm not fine with not trading him years ago for real packages though.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Also, all this f'ing overrating of Dallas. You just don't throw talent together. I don't give AF what their starting lineup looks like...

We tried Dwight, Pau, Kobe, Artest. Brooklyn tried D-Will, Joe Johnson, Pierce, KG, etc. Cleveland tried/is trying Lebron, Love, Irving, Waiters.

If anything you have more egos and more pressure to get (bleep) done, with less players willing to take necessary, lesser roles. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas slips up now that they got him.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

We didn't even got picks for Pau. We were offered only Emeka Okafor. Plus Pau almost netted us Melo, well not almost but he was part of it. I'm fine with not trading Pau for Emeka, we should all be. I'm not fine with not trading him years ago for real packages though.

I'm glad he didn't get us Melo, because he's garbage. Regardless, even a lousy 2nd round pick would have been nice to get for him, instead of nothing.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Also, all this f'ing overrating of Dallas. You just don't throw talent together. I don't give AF what their starting lineup looks like...

We tried Dwight, Pau, Kobe, Artest. Brooklyn tried D-Will, Joe Johnson, Pierce, KG, etc. Cleveland tried/is trying Lebron, Love, Irving, Waiters.

If anything you have more egos and more pressure to get (bleep) done, with less players willing to take necessary, lesser roles. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas slips up now that they got him.

Dallas has a good coach though and a team that has good chemistry. Rondo may effect that chemistry, but chances are Dirk and others have enough veteran leadership to ease him into the lineup without issues.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

It's one thing to play fast and loose with picks when you're a contender and you can afford to unload them for pieces here and there that will keep it going. In our current position, we shouldn't be gambling with them when the cupboard is bare.

It's pretty funny how people say that the new CBA was set to destroy the Lakers. Ok. But then why is the recommended course of navigating through it to operate the same way as the Lakers did prior to this new CBA (i.e., only go after max players, etc.)?

I would hope that the FO would use new tactics and understand that playing the max player-only game is very dangerous, and likely futile. Players coming off their first max contracts will already be 27, 28 years old. The chances of their play diminishing within the life of the 4 year contract is real.

We pawn off 1st rounders like they are worthless; the new CBA really emphasizes these kinds of assets as teams have a cap friendly deal, have RFA rights, and can basically keep them for 7 years. I listed off a bunch of late 1st/early 2nd rounders who have been impact or rotation players in the past 4 years (and of course, it's cherry picked, but it's for the purpose of showing those kind of players exist and can be had for cheap and retained). Two coveted RFAs were picked at the end of the draft (RJax and Jimmy Butler for example).
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

We need to buy picks if we can. What are our options as far as giving teams cash for their picks? Not talking about mid or late second rounders. We need to focus on mid to late first rounders. Can we find a good team that will sell their pick because it's so stacked? Golden State, Memphis, Clippers maybe?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
We need to buy picks if we can. What are our options as far as giving teams cash for their picks? Not talking about mid or late second rounders. We need to focus on mid to late first rounders. Can we find a good team that will sell their pick because it's so stacked? Golden State, Memphis, Clippers maybe?

I think we get around $3m that we can throw around. Not sure if we have much since we bought Clarkson's pick.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject:

So we are limited in how many picks we can buy?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
So we are limited in how many picks we can buy?

If we spent $1.5m to buy Clarkson's pick, I would assume that's all we can give in straight cash considerations (about 1.5m).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24
Jump to: