Kobe's shot more contested mid range Js than 12 teams(ESPN)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
Kobe just isn't the same. I think the Achilles has affected his shot. I think if Kobe starts shooting the ball like curry, on the way up instead of at the peak he would gain more accuracy.

You think?

People make it seem as if this guy is a robot and should have come back better than before. That's how he has spoiled us for almost 20 years.

I'll be the first to say Kobe this year is playing like garbage...but compared to what he use to be.

But then I remember how delusional do you have to be to think a guy who is 36 years old can come back to the same legendary level we are use to after completely tearing one of the most important muscles in the human body.

Walking the same would be difficult for some, and here he is running up and down with some of the best athletes in the world.

the thing is, people are still holding him to the same standard. Possibly because he's putting the same load on his own shoulders, or because he isn't HORRIBLE physically.
People are going to say "he sucked" his last two years; and they aren't even going to quantify it -- he's obviously not the same physically, he should get a pass - Maybe a pass to be more passive though, not to just jack up shots and be horrible.. he should have a lesser role and everyone should know that's reasonable -- nobody is shi!tting on Dirk and Duncan for averaging 18ppg ; but they would Kobe. When Kobe's the one who had the Achilles...
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:

It's hard to admit but the signs of decline is clearly visible now. His high usage couple with low efficiency is the writing on the wall. Sucks because I always thought Kobe was one of few who could walk away before decay was noticeable. I really hope he retires after next season, because I won't hate to see the mamba turn into a field snake.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Jeggs wrote:
Kobe just isn't the same. I think the Achilles has affected his shot. I think if Kobe starts shooting the ball like curry, on the way up instead of at the peak he would gain more accuracy.

can someone please pass this information to Kobe? thx

Ya I'm pretty sure his legs remind him every day.

fadeaway3 wrote:
It's hard to admit but the signs of decline is clearly visible now. His high usage couple with low efficiency is the writing on the wall. Sucks because I always thought Kobe was one of few who could walk away before decay was noticeable. I really hope he retires after next season, because I won't hate to see the mamba turn into a field snake.

One thing is many of his shots are going in and out. And I often wonder if his mechanics are off. Notice that in his last second shot last game he isn't following through with his shot well...where his shooting hand will shift right as if he is guiding it. Then he will kneel a bit as if to guide it. This tells me he has a lack of confidence and he is developing bad habits. How can a guy who has played 19 seasons develop bad shooting mechanics and confidence? Well being off for a whole season does that to you. Kobe is having mental blocks out there.

If he just shot the way he has his whole career without thinking he could raise his efficiency.

Last edited by Jeggs on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
SnitchDevil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
I call bullbleep.
I'm a guy that likes to quantify things, but unless you know what you're quantifying it's relatively worthless. This guy falls into the worse then useless category

There's been a long running complaint by coaches about the absolute absence of mid-range shooters in the league. Everyone's either a driver or a 3pt shooter.
Kobe's one of the few guys in the league that spent the time and effort to perfect that mid-range shot and all the moves that lead up to it. He's worked exhaustively on the footwork for those turnarounds and the upfakes and all the rest of it. Over the years, he's been pretty good with those shots - so naturally, he's taken a lot of them and probably will in the future

Gee, his shooting % is low on them this year? Guess what, his shooting % on all his shots is down this year by almost 7 percentage pts under his career average, so it's no surprise his mid-range % is down too.

About the only useful piece of info in that video was that less then 50% of Kobe's contested mid-range shots come with single digits on the shot clock.

The implied problem presented in that video is that Kobe's suddenly jacking up all these mid-range shots and it's hurting the lakers - but no data is presented to support the first, and the data that is presented on the 2nd isn't complete

what would have been useful and accurate would have been to tell us how many contested mid-range shots he took this year vs past years for a comparable stretch of games. That might have actually told us if he's taking more of mid-range shots this year, which might be because he doesn't have the legs to take 3's or go to the hoop.

worse then useless

Why did you have to make sense by bringing math to this thread?
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

You think?

People make it seem as if this guy is a robot and should have come back better than before. That's how he has spoiled us for almost 20 years.

I'll be the first to say Kobe this year is playing like garbage...but compared to what he use to be.

But then I remember how delusional do you have to be to think a guy who is 36 years old can come back to the same legendary level we are use to after completely tearing one of the most important muscles in the human body.

Walking the same would be difficult for some, and here he is running up and down with some of the best athletes in the world.

the thing is, people are still holding him to the same standard. Possibly because he's putting the same load on his own shoulders, or because he isn't HORRIBLE physically.
People are going to say "he sucked" his last two years; and they aren't even going to quantify it -- he's obviously not the same physically, he should get a pass - Maybe a pass to be more passive though, not to just jack up shots and be horrible.. he should have a lesser role and everyone should know that's reasonable -- nobody is shi!tting on Dirk and Duncan for averaging 18ppg ; but they would Kobe. When Kobe's the one who had the Achilles...

He wanted the spotlight and glory his whole career and demonstrated that in numerous ways so he shouldn't get a pass when it all goes messy. I can also think of $48 million other reasons not to look the other way when assigning blame.
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Cancun Van Exel wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

You think?

He wanted the spotlight and glory his whole career and demonstrated that in numerous ways so he shouldn't get a pass when it all goes messy. I can also think of $48 million other reasons not to look the other way when assigning blame.

Have to agree with this. Kobe's being paid like the top player to the game and he's not even in the top 15.

Impact wise, Duncan and Dirk are having better years and making far less $$.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

fadeaway3 wrote:

One thing is many of his shots are going in and out. And I often wonder if his mechanics are off. Notice that in his last second shot last game he isn't following through with his shot well...where his shooting hand will shift right as if he is guiding it. Then he will kneel a bit as if to guide it. This tells me he has a lack of confidence and he is developing bad habits. How can a guy who has played 19 seasons develop bad shooting mechanics and confidence? Well being off for a whole season does that to you. Kobe is having mental blocks out there.

If he just shot the way he has his whole career without thinking he could raise his efficiency.

Its a pretty normal sign of age for shooting pct to drop. To me it could be that as we age we begin to have less coordination of motor skills and muscles which obviously effects accuracy. He was never a great pure shooter to begin with so now couple that with aging and the injuries, its just plain ugly.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject:

fan4life wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

You think?

Have to agree with this. Kobe's being paid like the top player to the game and he's not even in the top 15.

Ridiculous statement considering that dirk and Duncan have an amazing supporting cast around them. They do not need to do much with the incredible talent surrounding them.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject:

My thing is if we're going to continue this and not go any where regardless of how we play I want Kobe to shoot 30-40 shots a game. And I want at least half of those to come off of screens.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

fadeaway3 wrote:

You could be right, but its just really hard for me to see Kobe in that light. IMO I think the injuries is the key factor here. He just doesn't seem to have the legs to his shots. I mean he's even missing FT's now, which is crazy for Kobe.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

fadeaway3 wrote:

he's developed some different mechanics because he doesn't get as much lift as pre-injury. thats how after 19 seasons he can develop bad mechanics.

I noticed that his follow through is a bit different as well. He's doing more of the quick pull back technique -- it's not bad necessarily, but it requires a lot of touch. Steph Curry does it often ; Westbrook does it every time(and he's not a good deep ball shooter because he doesn't get full extension. IMO)
Phillycheese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

You think?

Ridiculous statement considering that dirk and Duncan have an amazing supporting cast around them. They do not need to do much with the incredible talent surrounding them.
Gee, if Kobe took say $15m there would be $9m more to go around. I'm sure the Lakers could find a couple of good players for $9m. I'm sure if he deferred a bit to his teammates then more players would want to come to the Lakers. So yes I do blame him, because he can control it and since he is unwilling to, and unable to perform up to the std of a max player he deserves the blame to go with it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

fadeaway3 wrote:

In and out?? Most of his shots are falling short.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Clark wrote:
Folks can twists stats to say whatever they want to say. All I see is Kobe missing shots he used to make with ease

Maybe I missed something, but isn't that the point.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Phillycheese wrote:
Gee, if Kobe took say $15m there would be $9m more to go around. I'm sure the Lakers could find a couple of good players for $9m. I'm sure if he deferred a bit to his teammates then more players would want to come to the Lakers. So yes I do blame him, because he can control it and since he is unwilling to, and unable to perform up to the std of a max player he deserves the blame to go with it.

The real impact would be the upcoming season when we would have more than 2 max cap spots.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject:

Phillycheese wrote:

What couple of good players could they have gotten for $9 million and how would they have actually made the team a contender?

Until the FO has a coherent plan, what does it matter if they pay Kobe 1 dollar or 24 million?
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Phillycheese wrote:

What couple of good players could they have gotten for $9 million and how would they have actually made the team a contender?

Until the FO has a coherent plan, what does it matter if they pay Kobe 1 dollar or 24 million?

Because plan or no plan does not excuse the primary purpose of an nba contract: one's individual play.

From a basketball perspective, Kobe is not playing anywhere near his contract.
terpski
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject:

Cancun Van Exel wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

You think?

That's what I don't like about Kobe. He can dish it out to teammates for the smallest of mistakes, but he's never hard on himself for missing all of these game winning shots (and neither is B.Scott for that matter).
Anthony Peeler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject:

This would never happen but I wish Kobe would say, "I'm not the player I used to be so I'm going to cut down my minutes and shots."

Kobe should be subbed out by Lin at the 7 min mark so that Kobe plays 28 min instead of 34.
Phillycheese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject:

He has to be the least self-aware player there is. It's what made him great but also his greatest weakness. Model his game after Paul Pierce? no way.

Look at Kobe's situation - he's going out on a losing team, so why not piss on the fire hydrant as he exits stage left.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject:

Kobe would be playing a lot better and be more effective if he had Pau as his guy in the middle of the O, some athletic wing players and the Triangle. This wasn't how Kobe was supposed to leave the league in my book. I know, I know, this is not a fairly tale but reality.

But I would have loved to have seen Kobe go out with a better team and more familiar territory.

So what if he's missed so many jumpers? He's a damn good player, still. Top 30 in the league for sure and our best player by far (though the latter isn't saying much).

It just pisses me off a little that it has to be this way. It's not like we're even re-building. I fully expect majority of the roster to be different whenever we contend again. And with no draft pick, even more of a waste IMO. Even if we had a couple of players like Randle around Kobe, it would have been worthwhile. They learn things from Kobe and pick up the winning habits. Instead we're seeing guys like Hill, Wes, Price, Lin, Boozer etc. all get big minutes and who likely won't be here in 2 years time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
thejet24 wrote:
Jeggs wrote:

You think?

Thank you Jeggs. Nice to hear the voice of reason.
P.S. Do you ever debate your evil twin Jeffs?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

I still think Kobe's shooting percentage will go up as the year goes on. Ive never seen him peak in November and December before. And he's played for 19 years so there is a HUGE sample size.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I still think Kobe's shooting percentage will go up as the year goes on. Ive never seen him peak in November and December before. And he's played for 19 years so there is a HUGE sample size.

If you're relying on statistical significance, then why wouldn't you look at the declines that players typically experience at his age, miles, seasons played, etc? There's more data there.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

fadeaway3 wrote:
Well, i think its the Achillies thats hurting him more then anything. He's short on alot of his shots right now. He's not getting the lift he used too. If that can come back he will be ok, but right now, he cant shoot. His shooting is terrible. He's gonna have to adjust and just start putting more power with his arms behind the shot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: