Nick young ejection: question for officials

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Nick young ejection: question for officials

I have a question for the attitudes of officials for plays like these:

We are aware of the perspective of "play on and don't let it get to you". However, my question for the officials is that regardless of that attitude, when a play like that occurs and you see a guy like Adams who clearly has a reputation of causing these situations, shouldn't the ref be giving the benefit of the doubt to the other player? Especially if that player has no reputation of creating conflicts?

That's what i don't get. Isn't that what refs do? Remember Rasheed's reputation...it was so bad that he would never get the benefit of the doubt, and he even got ejected at times for barely doing anything. but that makes sense because it matches his reputation. How come the same isn't happening with this guy? Rodman got away with it also during his times. But Artest didn't get away with it as much. It just seems like it's a little arbitrary which "bad guy" gets away with it.

I just can't get past the thought of "Hey ref! This guy is always doing things like this, you know that!" Adams did the same thing vs the SPurs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Nick also did the same thing last season so maybe he has also developed a reputation?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Nick young ejection: question for officials

SuperboyReformed wrote:

We are aware of the perspective of "play on and don't let it get to you". However, my question for the officials is that regardless of that attitude, when a play like that occurs and you see a guy like Adams who clearly has a reputation of causing these situations, shouldn't the ref be giving the benefit of the doubt to the other player? Especially if that player has no reputation of creating conflicts?

That's what i don't get. Isn't that what refs do? Remember Rasheed's reputation...it was so bad that he would never get the benefit of the doubt, and he even got ejected at times for barely doing anything. but that makes sense because it matches his reputation. How come the same isn't happening with this guy? Rodman got away with it also during his times. But Artest didn't get away with it as much. It just seems like it's a little arbitrary which "bad guy" gets away with it.

I just can't get past the thought of "Hey ref! This guy is always doing things like this, you know that!" Adams did the same thing vs the SPurs.

I watched the replay a bunch of times and it doesn't look like Steven Adams did or said anything to escalate it. Even when Nick Young was swinging on him, he just chewed gum with a blank expression on his face. Whatever he is doing to get under guys' skin, it is working, but if he isn't outwardly doing or saying anything, it makes it kinda hard to police it.

All nick had to do was flop a little and it would have been an offensive foul going the other way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Nick young ejection: question for officials

SuperboyReformed wrote:

Rasheed has a utterance that gets a automatic tech "Ball don't lie!"

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Nick young ejection: question for officials

Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

I watched the replay a bunch of times and it doesn't look like Steven Adams did or said anything to escalate it. Even when Nick Young was swinging on him, he just chewed gum with a blank expression on his face. Whatever he is doing to get under guys' skin, it is working, but if he isn't outwardly doing or saying anything, it makes it kinda hard to police it.

All nick had to do was flop a little and it would have been an offensive foul going the other way.

Adams in their previous game provoked another player into a T. He's an irritant.

Nick needs to stop trying to keep it real out there. Flop a little on the contact, and yeah that's probably an offensive foul.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the attitudes of officials post information here.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nick young ejection: question for officials

kray28_ wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Adams in their previous game provoked another player into a T. He's an irritant.

Nick needs to stop trying to keep it real out there. Flop a little on the contact, and yeah that's probably an offensive foul.

Yea...the "wisest" thing to do is to ignore it. Unfortunately, that gives Adams an advantage in that he can continue to poke and prod players. If Nick reacts, he gets in trouble. Whatever, it's part of the game. But the refs should be a little more 'aware" in my opinion...they know who is who and what's going on.

Nick can't flop anymore! He got fined for it. Yet another issue...he gets fined for one of the few times he flopped...yet Harden flops a ton and everyone knows it, but only gets fined once in a blue moon. It makes it very hard to respect the officiating when you see these things.
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I love Swaggy and his attitude, but there's a difference between a little retaliation and going for the head (or throat in this case). I just hope it doesn't cost him a suspension after officials review it.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Young hurt the team, he was acting like an immature jerk after the incident by laughing it off with one of his teammates. Will he ever grow up?
psy123321123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject:

I think the situation turned out ok. We got a mini linsanity in the 4th with that 15-6 run. I believe it was a 15-6 run I think. Kobe came in, wanting to take that ineffective last shot. Kobe got steamed for missing that shot, lin got that little smirk during the post game. At least we now know there is some disagreements with lin and Kobe, and possibly boozer. I think the 32000 point man gotta chill with his game. It's not working.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject:

give it a rest already, it's a meaningless game for the Lakers, and i'm glad they lost. at end of the day we may look back at that play and thank the official who kicked Young out of the game when we end up with a top 5 pick.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nick young ejection: question for officials

SuperboyReformed wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Yea...the "wisest" thing to do is to ignore it. Unfortunately, that gives Adams an advantage in that he can continue to poke and prod players. If Nick reacts, he gets in trouble. Whatever, it's part of the game. But the refs should be a little more 'aware" in my opinion...they know who is who and what's going on.

Nick can't flop anymore! He got fined for it. Yet another issue...he gets fined for one of the few times he flopped...yet Harden flops a ton and everyone knows it, but only gets fined once in a blue moon. It makes it very hard to respect the officiating when you see these things.

If the refs knew who was who and what is going on, they would have stopped falling for Nicks flops a long time ago but they still do it every game.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject:

How do you give the benefit of the doubt to Young on that play? You just can't do that, provoked or unprovoked. If it was provoked, Adams might have gotten a T, but Young still would have been ejected.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: