Byron Scott resting Kobe; Update: Kobe supports minutes restriction/rest; Sitting Out vs Chicago (Page 5)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Byron Scott resting Kobe; Update: Kobe supports minutes restriction/rest; Sitting Out vs Chicago (Page 5)

Quote:
janis carr @janiscarr ·
BScott said he will override Kobe if he balks at sitting out. Said he would go to Mitch for support

Right Byron.. just like you'd cut his minutes which you did for 2 games and even after Kobe liked the move and stated how much better his legs felt afterwards you immediately went back to playing him 38 minutes because you don't believe in the rest of the team to succeed if Kobe isn't playing 38 minutes a game.

I'll believe in when I see it, for more than one occasion.

Quote:
Serena Winters @SerenaWinters ·
Byron Scott: "I'm not going to sacrifice [Kobe's] well being for W's" Scott says he may be making decisions in the future Kobe may not like

isn't that what you've been doing though?

Quote:

After the game last night, Kobe Bryant talked about how he wants to play all 82 games because he understand fans come to see him play.

Scott re: Kobe's comment & if he feels the same way: "At home, it definitely impacts my decision. On the road is a totally different story."

Kobe's thoughts on resting a game were "Probably not much of an option, really." Though conceded the rest "might make sense."

Quote:
erena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters
Byron Scott on Kobe Bryant: "We've just got to come to the realization that he can't play 38, 39 minutes a game"

I'll believe it when I see it for more than 'a game' before you go back to playing Kobe 38 minutes a game because you don't believe in the rest of the team.

But hey, that's just my expectation.

Who believes him?

Last edited by MJST on Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject:

I'll believe it when I see it.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

This should've been going on from the start of the season. 30-32 mpg and sitting out some games to rest.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

He'll do that a game or two until he gets the death stare.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
This should've been going on from the start of the season. 30-32 mpg and sitting out some games to rest.

He did it for about a game.. even to Kobe's approval as he said his legs felt good and he could finish games with more energy.

Then for whatever reason Scott decided to go back on it and start playing Kobe heavy minutes again and running him into the ground after putting out a screwed up starting lineup that forces him to always have to shoot because no one else in the starting lineup as a post up game or can get their own shot.

Despite everything Byron is selling he seems to do more to undermine success than actually try achieve it. Playing Kobe 30-32 minutes a game and increasing it as the season went on slowly but surely seemed like a no brainer but he throws Kobe in at 35-38 minutes a game and is waiting for his body to "catch up." After selling us ALL on that he'd manage Kobe better and look out for his best interests.

This is what pisses me off about Scott. He says it but never does it. Seems like the same old Scott to me.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject:

But btw fatigue isn't the only issue. He has to share the ball way more especially in the 2nd half where he just stops doing that for some reason.
psy123321123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Maybe we should run kobe into the ground, it's the only way to make him stop. The guy is going nuts.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

He should have been playing way less minutes and sitting a few games since the season started. Kobe can still contribute to a winning team, but he is going to be prone to a lot more poor outing when he has such a high usage rate and is logging so many minutes for this team. I'm sure he would be more efficient if his minutes were cut.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Stop saying you'll do something and actually do it, Byron. You said there would be a minutes restriction on Kobe this season, and yet, he's playing just as much per game as he did with D'Antoni at helm. At least back then, there was a purpose. There was direction. All of this right now is for naught.

Last edited by Lakers95 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
psy123321123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

On second thought, I think we should play him 48 mins a game, have him shoot 50 shots per game. That will ironically get him to stop what he's doing, however way you are imagining it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
He should have been playing way less minutes and sitting a few games since the season started. Kobe can still contribute to a winning team, but he is going to be prone to a lot more poor outing when he has such a high usage rate and is logging so many minutes for this team. I'm sure he would be more efficient if his minutes were cut.

Such a simple concept you'd imagine the coach of the darn team getting paid would understand.

is Scott really so dense that he can't just sit Kobe the final 2 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters? That cuts 4 minutes off his time and what do you know he winds up playing 30-32 minutes instead and it doesn't break the game.

Its so freaking simple and he only did it ONCE much to Kobe's delight and never did it again.

I'm freaking tired of hearing him say he'll do it, watching him do it once and then going back to the same old Scott.
Avada
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:

It took him 27 games to realize that a dude who is 36 and in his 19th season can't be playing 38 min a game?

The guy is an idiot and a coward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Override? How about ride kobe?
jpargo1980
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

All you need to know about Scott is this picture.

http://t.co/OLMNbcxcRo

Team is actually doing good with Kobe on the bench. It aint like team is collapsing with him not on the floor. If he knew what he was doing, he could have easily bought minutes for Kobe during this season without hurting the team.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Override? How about ride kobe?

Byron didn't mean override, he meant "over ride".
Charisma
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like the plan is to sit Kobe on some B2B games. Not much mentioning of reduced minutes.

It's another major injury waiting to happen.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Easy to say he is going to sit him, but when the crowd starts chanting Kobe's name, and they put Kobe up on the jumbo-tron with an anxious look on his face, will Byron falter? Mike Brown tried to sit Kobe once, and it didn't work out well for him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

jpargo1980 wrote:
All you need to know about Scott is this picture.

http://t.co/OLMNbcxcRo

Team is actually doing good with Kobe on the bench. It aint like team is collapsing with him not on the floor. If he knew what he was doing, he could have easily bought minutes for Kobe during this season without hurting the team.

Stats skewed because Kobe's off the floor when 2nd units play other 2nd units and our 2nd unit is one of the better ones in the league.

Put that 2nd unit against starters over the next 10 games without Kobe and you'll see those numbers change dramatically.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
He'll do that a game or two until he gets the death stare.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Sort of infuriating hearing how Scott knows Kobe so well yet he still did what he did. Yes, Scott knows Kobe, yes Scott knows what Kobe is going through with his body, yes Scott went through it himself, but he didn't do a darn thing about it despite knowing all this and it was plainly in front of his face.

THAT is infuriating to me imo.

"trim some of the minutes down" "trim some of the workload down"

It all sounds good. We just want you to do it above all else.
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

byron scott is soft as charmin
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Probably went like this...

Reporter: "Kobe looks tired out there. Have you thought about getting him some rest?"

Scott: "There's options. I'm thinking about it."

Reporter: "Maybe sit him a game?"

Scott: "I'll think about it. Talk to him and we'll think about it. Sleep on it. Think about it. You know, think about it."

Reporter: "umm... okay. Well, we asked Kobe about it and he said he might need to rest a game."

Scott: "Well, then I may have to rest Kobe a game. If he doesn't like it I may have to override him. Go to Mitch and get his support since I can't do it myself... umm.. scratch that last part."

Reporter: "What do you mean by override him? He just said he may need to take a game off."

Scott: "Exactly what I said. Override him. I'm not going to risk his health for a W. That's just the way it is. Period."

Reporter: "But what is there to override when Kobe already..."

Scott: "Did you see that dumb boneheaded turnover by Jeremy. Just getting outworked. We went over the plays in practice. Don't know if he's just incapable of understanding it..."

Last edited by Reflexx on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

"hey kobe... do you wanna, like, sit for few minutes? maybe you're tired? but of course only if you're tired and really asking me to take you out... i mean, totally up to you boss, i meant kobe.."

"no i'm good".

"ok then."
amak316
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:

The spurs rest their aging players because pop knows on average a player at a certain age can only play "x" minutes before their % chance of injury is large. If you are a playoff team the only important games are postseason Pop knows it's his job to make sure he doesn't surpass "x" before the exponentially more important postseason games.

For the Lakers there will be no postseason so every game is equal and resting additional games is pointless. Kobe doesn't need more rest, he needs to learn to trust his teammates and do other things to help the team win. Kobe has given up and he's in there being very destructive to the team and it's Byron's job to motivate or bench him accordingly. Unfortunately Byron is awful at his job.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject:

He should. Last time I checked, he's the head coach. Save Bryant from himself. You know he's not gonna sit himself down.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: