Josh Smith signs with Rockets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Their last few games weren't so easy. Their last 8 were New Orleans, Atlanta, Portland, Memphis, San Antonio Washington, Charlotte, and New Orleans again. Aside from Charlotte, those are all playoff teams (or playoff caliber since New Orleans is only a game out of the 8 seed in the tough West). It should be more concerning that they only won 3 of those 8 games (Charlotte, Portland, and Memphis in OT). I'm sure the excuse will be that they were integrating Smith.

Actually, the reason (not excuse) has to do with a combo of integrating Smith, Brewer and Howard, along with poor effort. We have gone .500 since Howard has come back (6-6 record). Before we got Smith we were 3-2 since Howard's return. We traded for Brewer right before we signed Smith. The team is trying to integrate 2 new rotation players (PF/SF) and get Howard back up to speed. We are trying to figure out who fits better alongside Howard and some of the wings that we used earlier on in the season have fallen out of the rotation (Canaan and K-pap). This is what can happen when you have a shakeup during the season.

The teams effort has been shoddy as of late. We lost to a Spurs team that was resting players and McHale had enough in the NO game, pulling all of the starters 2 minutes into the 3rd. The effort has been very good for the last 2 games.

As far as our play vs playoff teams, we have wins over the Heat (x2), Grizz (2x), Blazers, Suns, Mavs and Spurs. We are doing fine.

As far as Smith's play, his offense has been poor but his defense has been solid. I'm still happy we signed him.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:

The Pistons just beat the Spurs.

Update since release:

Detroit: 6-0
Houston: 3-4
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
ocho wrote:
Their last few games weren't so easy. Their last 8 were New Orleans, Atlanta, Portland, Memphis, San Antonio Washington, Charlotte, and New Orleans again. Aside from Charlotte, those are all playoff teams (or playoff caliber since New Orleans is only a game out of the 8 seed in the tough West). It should be more concerning that they only won 3 of those 8 games (Charlotte, Portland, and Memphis in OT). I'm sure the excuse will be that they were integrating Smith.

Actually, the reason (not excuse) has to do with a combo of integrating Smith, Brewer and Howard, along with poor effort. We have gone .500 since Howard has come back (6-6 record). Before we got Smith we were 3-2 since Howard's return. We traded for Brewer right before we signed Smith. The team is trying to integrate 2 new rotation players (PF/SF) and get Howard back up to speed. We are trying to figure out who fits better alongside Howard and some of the wings that we used earlier on in the season have fallen out of the rotation (Canaan and K-pap). This is what can happen when you have a shakeup during the season.

The teams effort has been shoddy as of late. We lost to a Spurs team that was resting players and McHale had enough in the NO game, pulling all of the starters 2 minutes into the 3rd. The effort has been very good for the last 2 games.

As far as our play vs playoff teams, we have wins over the Heat (x2), Grizz (2x), Blazers, Suns, Mavs and Spurs. We are doing fine.

As far as Smith's play, his offense has been poor but his defense has been solid. I'm still happy we signed him.

Reading that put a little lump in my sternum/throat.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject:

I know DH is hated here because of his lack of effort in LA, but surely he is less of a problem than Josh Smith.
I like Brewer, and see no reason he may add overshadow Josh in term of integration jinx.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

This won't refute your main point here but I still want to point out the fact that the Heat are 15-20. Denver has the same record and they are 11th in the West, and only 4 games ahead of the Lakers. Miami would make the playoffs in the East with that record today, but Houston isn't playing in the East.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Smith avg 18, 6, 2 on 53% off the bench. Rockets 3-1, and we blew the Bulls game. He seems to fit in better off the bench.

Our overall effort is still garbage though. We will get sent home in round 1 playing how we have for the last few weeks.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject:

Pistons 7-0 now post smith. Love it.

Josh's bbiq is somewhere between a rock and pre-2008 LO. Rocket fans will love him in big games.

Airballing FT's... smdh.

Piston's don't miss these moments.

Classic call.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
ocho wrote:

Reading that put a little lump in my sternum/throat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States#Texas

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:

We love that too. They have beaten the Spurs and Mavs in that stretch. I hope they keep it up, especially against Western teams.

Worthy42 wrote:
Josh's bbiq is somewhere between a rock and pre-2008 LO. Rocket fans will love him in big games.

Loving him so far. I can already count multiple games that we would not have won without his efforts. Since you showed the missed FT's from last night's game, how bout we show the type of plays he made that put the game in a position where those FT's didn't hurt very much, like this block that was a game changer (5 point swing):

http://clutchfans.net/video/view/?v=2796&/josh_smiths_incredible_block_of_kyrie_irving/

We got him for defensive efforts like that, not his offense. He also hit a big 3 to seal the game with a minute left. I'll admit I cringed when he shot it though....

Last edited by Dreamshake on Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

Smith on what is essentially a minimum deal (I know it's a little more) is a steal.

We have people here praising Boozer and saying what a bargain he is for $3m. Let's keep it 100.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject:

His agent does not hold so many cards he can squeeze players into teams because he represents other players in the roster:
http://www.perennialse.com/Clients/Basketball/index.php
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

We love that too. They have beaten the Spurs and Mavs in that stretch. I hope they keep it up, especially against Western teams.

Worthy42 wrote:

Loving him so far. I can already count multiple games that we would not have won without his efforts. Since you showed the missed FT's from last night's game, how bout we show the type of plays he made that put the game in a position where those FT's didn't hurt very much, like this block that was a game changer (5 point swing):

http://clutchfans.net/video/view/?v=2796&/josh_smiths_incredible_block_of_kyrie_irving/

We got him for defensive efforts like that, not his offense. He also hit a big 3 to seal the game with a minute left. I'll admit I cringed when he shot it though....

Excited about beating the Knicks and Cavs? Talk about low standards.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Smith avg 18, 6, 2 on 53% off the bench. Rockets 3-1, and we blew the Bulls game. He seems to fit in better off the bench.

Our overall effort is still garbage though. We will get sent home in round 1 playing how we have for the last few weeks.

Honestly, I think that's just who you are. Keeping launching those threes. Rockets basketball: launching threes, and watching Harden/Howard at the foul line. Exciting stuff.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject:

It's gone as I expected. When they signed him - said he would help on D, not on O. They're doing the right thing now using him as a 6th man. That's his role. He can't really fit in as a full time starter with that group.

They got him for the vet min so that's a bargain. But I've never viewed this signing as something that would put them over the top. If they get over the top, it's if they D kicks in and they play incredibly well on that end. To their credit it seemed to improve early on but recent times show D is faltering now.

HOU has talent but I don't see a team here that can put it all together and win it all. I'll be surprised if they win more than 1 round in the offs.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

This won't refute your main point here but I still want to point out the fact that the Heat are 15-20. Denver has the same record and they are 11th in the West, and only 4 games ahead of the Lakers. Miami would make the playoffs in the East with that record today, but Houston isn't playing in the East.

the only 2 wcf teams they havent beaten are the warriors and clippers, and they played those 2 teams with at least 4 players out (the clippers triple teamed harden after they lost their third string pg to injury lol), as it stands they'd currently own the tiebreak over every team in the 8 except golden state. If you were talking about a team struggling against playoff teams, it'd be dallas.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject:

2-11 in a loss to ORL.
Attempted for 3's...none made...
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject:

Its not wrong to admit one of your team's players is dumb. Laker fans have been calling a lot of their players dumb for a long time, Lamar Odom has been called dumb a lot by Laker fans, and I don't think he scratches the surface of dumb that Josh Smith can achieve.

There have been plenty of Lakers who are dumber, but nobody worth talking about or mentioning other than the obligatory Kwame Brown mention
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
2-11 in a loss to ORL.

Horrible shooting game, where he also had 10 boards and 5 assists. In his 12 games with us he has shot under 40% 9 times. He's still helping us win games in other ways though. I'll take that for $2M.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
2-11 in a loss to ORL.

Horrible shooting game, where he also had 10 boards and 5 assists. In his 12 games with us he has shot under 40% 9 times. He's still helping us win games in other ways though. I'll take that for $2M.

Yeah. It's funny people praise Boozer for his $3m price tag. Smith at $2m is a bargain, warts and all.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
2-11 in a loss to ORL.

stop trying to convince yourself
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
2-11 in a loss to ORL.

stop trying to convince yourself

I'm not. I recognize his flaws and his strengths, which is worth more than $2M. And he has helped us win games.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Kwame Brown and Smush Parker used to help the Lakers win games too. Just saying...
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
Kwame Brown and Smush Parker used to help the Lakers win games too. Just saying...

For $2M? Should I be dissapointed or happy that a $2M player can willingly come off the bench and give us 10/5/2/1/1 (even on bad shooting %'s) and good defense?
W_lakers4life_W
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

For $2M? Should I be dissapointed or happy that a $2M player can willingly come off the bench and give us 10/5/2/1/1 (even on bad shooting %'s) and good defense?

Not trying to prove you wrong but did not he want to have a guarentee to play in the S5 before he chose the rockets?

I heard that, that´s why im suprised he is coming of the bench by now...
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject:

W_lakers4life_W wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

Not trying to prove you wrong but did not he want to have a guarentee to play in the S5 before he chose the rockets?

I heard that, that´s why im suprised he is coming of the bench by now...

He did, and when he was struggling there he volunteered to come off the bench.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: