++++ Lakers at Mavs ++++ 5:30PM PT 12/26/14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaqtin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Its a bad game when you let RONDO score 21 pts and leads the team.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
Missed this game but we had 3 guys with Double-Doubles and still lost?

Tough shooting night.

As unlikely as it might be, if Five Guys had Double-Doubles, it'd be a win-win.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Shaqtin wrote:
Normally that's a positive sign.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Shaqtin wrote:

He's terrible at the line, maybe they could've done a Rajon-Hack-A-Thon at some point.
Shaqtin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Charisma wrote:
Funny that people keep saying Lin is average like it's a bad thing, while most of the other players on this team are not even average.

He had a decent game. He was not making his shots but he had a game high 7 assists, same as Rondo and Monta. 5 boards, 3 blocks, and 2 TOs in 21:31.

Wish BS had let him play a little longer when he was running the offense well.

I'd only start Lin if Davis was remaining a starter.

Or I would put Boozer in the starting lineup, move Davis to the bench with Lin and pray Ryan Kelly is back soon and remains healthy.

A bench unit of
Lin
Young
Ellington
Kelly
Davis

Is the kind that maximizes Lin two tricks(pick and roll and drive and dish)

Then Boozer in the starting lineup with Price, Kobe, Booz can un the slow pace, have two post threats, etc.

Its actually the lineup that worked in pre-season. Particularly when it was

Lin
Clarkson
Roscoe
Randle
Davis

Off the bench.

If it was Lin
Young
Ellington /Kelly
Randle
Davis

Off the bench its different.

But sadly that wonhappen. But the Kelly lineup might. So we'll see.

Lin can pick and pop, his jump shot is off but when it is on that's a "trick". He can throw a full court lob pass if guys got near the basket and also throw the lob pass well. He has a hesitation dribble and can finish around the rim and draw fouls. He's not bad at steals and rebounding either.

Why are you so down on him now? I'm not sure why Lin hasn't broken out yet but sometime this season, whether a Laker or not, he's going to have a strong stretch and show that this Lin is really not the player he is. He's been far less than what he really is as a Laker.

He is better off the Lakers as BS is stinking it up for another 2 years. He is historically a bad coach for a PG. As Jason Kid and Kyrie Irving dislike him as a coach.
Alloy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
JuanCesta wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:
I just can't wait until Lin isn't on our team anymore, and I'm not just talking about that last shot. Average player that gets hyped up way too much.

He played 21 minutes.

Why don't you save your crap for the starting PG who played who played 7 more minutes including crunch time and has 5 less assists, 4 less rebounds, 3 less steals and only 2 more points.
Oh don't get me wrong, I think both of our point guards suck. The only difference is there aren't a billion posters campaigning for Price on here.

To be fair, I think Lin is better than Price. He just isn't the player so many of you think he is.

To be fair, it always started with a person who is fixated on Lin and complains about him even when Lin is not playing. Then you get a few guy come to defend Lin.

perhaps complaining about a player who is not playing should go to the player's thread? If one could make a long post about a particular player in the game thread, probably he/she would better use that time to watch the game?
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject:

JuanCesta wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:
I just can't wait until Lin isn't on our team anymore, and I'm not just talking about that last shot. Average player that gets hyped up way too much.

He played 21 minutes.

Why don't you save your crap for the starting PG who played who played 7 more minutes including crunch time and has 5 less assists, 4 less rebounds, 3 less steals and only 2 more points.

I"ll buy into the moronic "it's Lins fault" if he gets soe significant minutes on the floor with Ed Davis. A game that's decided on a couple of possessions. With Davis, like Rondo with Chandler it could be the game changer. Instead of Lin needing to pass to player sitting 17-20 feet off he can pass it inside to Davis. Oh Well. BS is doing what he can to ensure that never happens.
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject:

RichD wrote:
This team at least playing hard. Don't have the horses, but at least showing well. Hopefully a top 5 pick with Randle, and Kelly coming back. That will be at least exciting

Better coaching, more creativity on the player rotations and the Lakers could have one. Being stubborn is the sign of a coach with a long lifetime losing coach. Why do idiot GM's go with retreads instead, lets say a Steve Kerr?
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
Laker Intervention wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Charisma wrote:
Dr. Jez wrote:
Lin leading the Lakers in Blocks tonight with 3...

And a game high 7 assists..

He played fine. It's hard to perform well when your coach doesn't show signs of having confidence in you. Also hard when your offense doesn't run anything.

Arms crossed is the worst person on our roster.

That's seems like some psycho babble bull. If lin plays better the coach will have confidence in him. Lin is just an average player, stop thinking he's something else.

That's not what I'm thinking. Thanks for the poor assumption, but perhaps though.

I know he's average, but in this matchup he was better for more PT than Price. You beat the Mavs by getting into the paint. Lin is also better at pNr than Price. When your coach isn't making this adjustment game after game, it shows lack of confidence.

Lin needs run with the starters more. He needs more time with HIll and Davis who he could be efficient with. I know what Lin is. And anyone who understands the game would know that the coach isn't utilizing him the right way or enough.

He was with the starters and inconsistent. I also see what lin is, average.

Not with Davis starting. He's better than Price. It's not just about skill either. IT's about match ups. PnR is most common play in the game. Lin can create more for others. Our coach has no real system in place therefore you need to get highest percentage shots. This isn't debatable. It's glaringly obvious and not because I'm a coach, but because it's common sense. I'm not a Lin fanatic. I'm simply a Laker fan who is seeing a coach who isn't putting the right guys in o win certain games. You seem more like a Lin hater. Goodnight.

Lin can get a lot of assists even when he isn't shooting well which he really hasn't been the past few games. PnR is solid with E.D., he doesn't play that much with him. He had 7 tonight but if Lin is used right, that could be an average number for him and he could have double-digit assists much more than he has now. He also needs to draw fouls, though, I'd like to see him go to the hole and shoot more. That's when he's most dangerous.

The Lakers hired a retread coach with a lifetime 425-541 losing record. Why is anyone surprised how bad he is?
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:

traxop wrote:
What's with the Lin talk? What we should be focusing on, and what I want to know is, why wasn't Boozer out there in the last 5 when he was the most consistent score we had.

Also, why was Ellington introduced so late in the 4th?

Cause as far as I can see BS is so clueless has to what players are doing what against who on the other team. You know basic coaching stuff. He's pathetic.
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Misaeng wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:
tonman wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

And you are more worried about overhyping Lin rather than the coaching or the teams play or the teams offensive or defensive schemes.
Yeah, because it's annoying when the majority of the talk on game threads is how Lin is being used wrong or not getting enough minutes when that wouldn't make a difference at all.

Have you been following game threads? Majority of the talk is about how dumb and sucky our head coach is. Talk about confirmation bias. People saying Davis works well with Lin and Byron not giving them enough minutes = only talking about Lin. So you mean we didn't talk about Davis and Byron? You know what they say, you only see what you want to see.

Nooo. I see Lin and Davis playing a great 2 man game during the few minutes they have together. No bias, just fact.
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
Misaeng wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:
tonman wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

And you are more worried about overhyping Lin rather than the coaching or the teams play or the teams offensive or defensive schemes.
Yeah, because it's annoying when the majority of the talk on game threads is how Lin is being used wrong or not getting enough minutes when that wouldn't make a difference at all.

Have you been following game threads? Majority of the talk is about how dumb and sucky our head coach is. Talk about confirmation bias. People saying Davis works well with Lin and Byron not giving them enough minutes = only talking about Lin. So you mean we didn't talk about Davis and Byron? You know what they say, you only see what you want to see.

I'm sorry to inform you but Lin or Ed Davis will not save this team. They are both scrubs. Stop the delusion.

You know what (or don't know), BS could easily make that (NOT) point by playing them together a few game. Then trolls would shut up.
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Misaeng wrote:
Lakers 4 eva wrote:
Misaeng wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:
tonman wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

I'm sorry to inform you but Lin or Ed Davis will not save this team. They are both scrubs. Stop the delusion.

It's just an example regarding his idea that majority of the talk is about Lin. I can quote another example of Kobe being run into the ground and being asked to do too much, ie mismanagement of Kobe by BYRON SCOTT. Does this example make you feel better?

So you are actually so delusional as to think BS did a great job managing or should I say deferring to Kobe's wishes?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject:

catman2u wrote:
bws94 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Charisma wrote:
Dr. Jez wrote:
Lin leading the Lakers in Blocks tonight with 3...

And a game high 7 assists..

He played fine. It's hard to perform well when your coach doesn't show signs of having confidence in you. Also hard when your offense doesn't run anything.

Arms crossed is the worst person on our roster.

That's seems like some psycho babble bull. If lin plays better the coach will have confidence in him. Lin is just an average player, stop thinking he's something else.

That's not what I'm thinking. Thanks for the poor assumption, but perhaps though.

I know he's average, but in this matchup he was better for more PT than Price. You beat the Mavs by getting into the paint. Lin is also better at pNr than Price. When your coach isn't making this adjustment game after game, it shows lack of confidence.

Lin needs run with the starters more. He needs more time with HIll and Davis who he could be efficient with. I know what Lin is. And anyone who understands the game would know that the coach isn't utilizing him the right way or enough.

He was with the starters and inconsistent. I also see what lin is, average.

Not with Davis starting. He's better than Price. It's not just about skill either. IT's about match ups. PnR is most common play in the game. Lin can create more for others. Our coach has no real system in place therefore you need to get highest percentage shots. This isn't debatable. It's glaringly obvious and not because I'm a coach, but because it's common sense. I'm not a Lin fanatic. I'm simply a Laker fan who is seeing a coach who isn't putting the right guys in o win certain games. You seem more like a Lin hater. Goodnight.

Lin can get a lot of assists even when he isn't shooting well which he really hasn't been the past few games. PnR is solid with E.D., he doesn't play that much with him. He had 7 tonight but if Lin is used right, that could be an average number for him and he could have double-digit assists much more than he has now. He also needs to draw fouls, though, I'd like to see him go to the hole and shoot more. That's when he's most dangerous.

The Lakers hired a retread coach with a lifetime 425-541 losing record. Why is anyone surprised how bad he is?
Because that record doesn't really reflect just how bad he really is.
blueice
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
Shaqtin wrote:
MJST wrote:
People overhype Lin. A player that would get 13-15 mins off the bench on a contending team, and they gripe when he plays 21 mins. Alright.

Has he proven to be as effective off the bench as Young? No...? Then he shouldn't play 28 mins. And Youing gets yanked too, like against Chicago.

Amazing that's missed.

Anyway, this loss wasn't on the amoun of minits Lin got.

People that only focus on that aspect are missing the entire point of why this team loses.

Team loss to bad coaching

Do you think Popovich can change any outcome for this team? This team sucks. All the fans of certain players who are new to this team needs to get a grip. Laker fans can't wait for that (bleep) to be off the team and you guys go along with him.

I just came across to your question and my answer is positive.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject:

I'm just glad Kobe sat out again so this squad can keep showing how great they are without the 5-time champion out there holding them back.

Maybe Kobe can sit out the next 15-20 games so we can get into the playoff hunt.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
I'm just glad Kobe sat out again so this squad can keep showing how great they are without the 5-time champion out there holding them back.

Maybe Kobe can sit out the next 15-20 games so we can get into the playoff hunt.

Really hope to see next 20 games without Kobe. See if will be worse.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Charisma wrote:
Funny that people keep saying Lin is average like it's a bad thing, while most of the other players on this team are not even average.

He had a decent game. He was not making his shots but he had a game high 7 assists, same as Rondo and Monta. 5 boards, 3 blocks, and 2 TOs in 21:31.

Or I would put Boozer in the starting lineup, move Davis to the bench with Lin and pray Ryan Kelly is back soon and remains healthy.

A bench unit of
Lin
Young
Ellington
Kelly
Davis

Then Boozer in the starting lineup with Price, Kobe, Booz can un the slow pace, have two post threats, etc.

Lin
Clarkson
Roscoe
Randle
Davis

Off the bench.

If it was Lin
Young
Ellington /Kelly
Randle
Davis

Lin can pick and pop, his jump shot is off but when it is on that's a "trick". He can throw a full court lob pass if guys got near the basket and also throw the lob pass well. He has a hesitation dribble and can finish around the rim and draw fouls. He's not bad at steals and rebounding either.

Why are you so down on him now? I'm not sure why Lin hasn't broken out yet but sometime this season, whether a Laker or not, he's going to have a strong stretch and show that this Lin is really not the player he is. He's been far less than what he really is as a Laker.

Lin's a two trick pony.

He pick and rolls or he drives and dish.

Occasionally aside from that he's a microwave offensively.

"He can throw a full court lob pass if guys got near the basket and also throw the lob pass well. He has a hesitation dribble and can finish around the rim and draw fouls. He's not bad at steals and rebounding either. "

All that stuff any basic point guard can do in the league, it is nothing special. It's not like he throws full court passes as often as Love does. Heck even Nick Young threw a half court lob to Wesley Johnson. It's nothing special.

Fact of the matter is there's really nothing Lin can do that Sessions couldn't. Except Sessions didn't have the 9 game span of "Linsanity".

The difference is that Sessions isn't afraid to wave people off and isn't afraid to attack and had more of an idea what to do than Lin seems to be getting. He still seems to be learning.

In all honesty Lin is only good at two things 'consistently.'. Pick and Roll and drive and dish.

Everything else (yes including his explosive scoring capability) is inconsistent.

Overrating him because he can throw lobs.. come on now...

Here is what I think the reality is.

That "strong stretch" you are expecting Lin to go on. That's the out of the norm hot streak he gets occasionally. Just like other players in the league.

Brandon Jennings can go an entire month averaging 18/6 and 22/5. But he always comes back down to the player he is and those streaks he goes on are just that... streaks. The player he is is who he plays as a majority of the time.

The problem with Lin is you have some that take Lin's hit streaks and try to act like that's the player Lin is for 82 games if he was just in a perfect situation. It may be the opposite. He may just be going on a hot streak as players have a tendency to do in the NBA. But when he comes back down to earth that just may be who he is.

For 3 months as Lakers starter Ramon Sessions averaged 13/6 on 47% shooting and 48% from three.

Why hasn't he recaptured that? Could he recapture that again if he was a Laker? You understand that if people were waiting on him to recapture that efficiency they'd have to buy the fact that Sessions is a better shooter than Steph Curry and Steve Nash...

You see there's a reason people don't wait on Sessions to perform like that again. Because he won't. Because he came back down to earth as the player he is and people accept what he is.

Keep in mind Sessions did that for 3 months. Lin did it for 9 games and people are still waiting on why he hasn't recaptured it for an extended period of time and come up with thousands of reasons why and tens of thousands of conspiracy theories.

Maybe.. if you stop waiting on Lin to recapture Linsanity or go on this strong run and just accept that when Lin does that it's out of the norm and it means he's on a hot streak but eventually he'll come back down to earth you'll be less disappointed.

Will Lin go on a stretch of games where he'll play well and put up good stats?

Sure. But how does that separate him from Wesley Johnson doing the same? Wes is currently gone this entire months averaging 10 points, a block and a steal and 4 rebounds while shooting 44% from three.

For a 5th option offensively who is basically a 3 and D guy those are the kind of numbers that would make people want to keep him.

Why is no one going gaga over it? Because they know he'll come back down eventually and he's just on a hot streak.

Same is of Jeremy Lin. At the end of the day his ceiling is 14/6 player as a starter and a spark plug off the bench 6th man. That's Lin's ceiling.

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Mo Williams was better than him in the same role off the bench for the Clippers and Ramon Sessions was better than him as a starter in Cleveland and as a starter in Los Angeles.

Lin is not even the best point guard we've had since Sessions. He's yet to catch Sessions.

Now Lin's 'potential' is higher than Sessions. But potential isn't everything, ask Wesley Johnson or Michael Beasley.

We can say Lin is "still learning" but the guy went to college 4 years and is 26 years old. We may be looking at as good as he's going to get right now.

So the best thing Lin could possibly do is keep his scoring consistent. Even if he averaged 10/4 off the bench that would be something and he could always have nights he's on fire and stays in longer.

But I'd say that 18-22 minutes off the bench which is what he's been getting is about the absolute best he's gonna get on any team.

If he was on a championship roster he'd be lucky to get 13-15 minutes a game and that's just the truth.

Like I said, if Lin was naturally a step ahead and starter quality. He'd be blowing out 2nd units and when Barea guards him he should be dropping it on him whenever he gets the chance. When people guard him under screens he drops it on them when they give him the chance.

This is what Lin should be doing.

That is what Boozer is doing that is what Nick Young has been doing(though he accepts off the bench). Boozer could still start in this league and he would be a valuable sixth man. He's proving that. Nick Young was a starter in this league and averaged 17 a game both starting and off the bench. He's proving why.

Lin isn't proving why he's a cut above any backup 1 in the league right now and there's a lot of effective ones

Isaiah Thomas
Isaiah Canaan
Aaron Brooks
Donald Sloan
Shaun Livingston
Kendall Marshall
Dennis Schroder
Devin Harris
DJ Augustine
JJ Barea
C.J. Watson
Jarrett Jack
Rodney Stuckey

Is Lin really separating himself from the pack?

FYI all those guys play an average of 18 mins per game. Some of the other ones like Jack play 23 and that's not the norm.

So... really... Lin isn't doing much to stand out and say "HEY! I'm one of the best backup point guards in the game!" since moving to the bench and we keep waiting on him to do it. This is his biggest chance really, and 18-22 minutes a game should be enough time to do that. If he can't then it is/and he is/ what he is.

We'll see if he turns it around or not.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject:

MJST, I'll disagree with you but this is way too extensive for the game thread. To me you are saying football is 2 tricks, pass or run. I mentioned some of the things Lin excels at or is better than average at and you dismiss it, how long have you watched him to be such an expert on him? Maybe try deferring to some of us that know he is just a shell of himself as a Laker. And that's enough for a game thread. I think if he plays more minutes and overlaps with Ed Davis, the team has another offensive tool that can help win games or put us over the hump in close games when we need easy baskets.
Alloy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
MJST, I'll disagree with you but this is way too extensive for the game thread. To me you are saying football is 2 tricks, pass or run. I mentioned some of the things Lin excels at or is better than average at and you dismiss it, how long have you watched him to be such an expert on him? Maybe try deferring to some of us that know he is just a shell of himself as a Laker. And that's enough for a game thread. I think if he plays more minutes and overlaps with Ed Davis, the team has another offensive tool that can help win games or put us over the hump in close games when we need easy baskets.

Let's move to Lin thread?
Lorenzomax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
bws94 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Charisma wrote:

A bench unit of
Lin
Young
Ellington
Kelly
Davis

Lin
Clarkson
Roscoe
Randle
Davis

Off the bench.

If it was Lin
Young
Ellington /Kelly
Randle
Davis

Lin's a two trick pony.

"He can throw a full court lob pass if guys got near the basket and also throw the lob pass well. He has a hesitation dribble and can finish around the rim and draw fouls. He's not bad at steals and rebounding either. "

All that stuff any basic point guard can do in the league, it is nothing special. It's not like he throws full court passes as often as Love does. Heck even Nick Young threw a half court lob to Wesley Johnson. It's nothing special.

Fact of the matter is there's really nothing Lin can do that Sessions couldn't. Except Sessions didn't have the 9 game span of "Linsanity".

The difference is that Sessions isn't afraid to wave people off and isn't afraid to attack and had more of an idea what to do than Lin seems to be getting. He still seems to be learning.

In all honesty Lin is only good at two things 'consistently.'. Pick and Roll and drive and dish.

Everything else (yes including his explosive scoring capability) is inconsistent.

That "strong stretch" you are expecting Lin to go on. That's the out of the norm hot streak he gets occasionally. Just like other players in the league.

Brandon Jennings can go an entire month averaging 18/6 and 22/5. But he always comes back down to the player he is and those streaks he goes on are just that... streaks. The player he is is who he plays as a majority of the time.

The problem with Lin is you have some that take Lin's hit streaks and try to act like that's the player Lin is for 82 games if he was just in a perfect situation. It may be the opposite. He may just be going on a hot streak as players have a tendency to do in the NBA. But when he comes back down to earth that just may be who he is.

For 3 months as Lakers starter Ramon Sessions averaged 13/6 on 47% shooting and 48% from three.

Why hasn't he recaptured that? Could he recapture that again if he was a Laker? You understand that if people were waiting on him to recapture that efficiency they'd have to buy the fact that Sessions is a better shooter than Steph Curry and Steve Nash...

You see there's a reason people don't wait on Sessions to perform like that again. Because he won't. Because he came back down to earth as the player he is and people accept what he is.

Keep in mind Sessions did that for 3 months. Lin did it for 9 games and people are still waiting on why he hasn't recaptured it for an extended period of time and come up with thousands of reasons why and tens of thousands of conspiracy theories.

Maybe.. if you stop waiting on Lin to recapture Linsanity or go on this strong run and just accept that when Lin does that it's out of the norm and it means he's on a hot streak but eventually he'll come back down to earth you'll be less disappointed.

Sure. But how does that separate him from Wesley Johnson doing the same? Wes is currently gone this entire months averaging 10 points, a block and a steal and 4 rebounds while shooting 44% from three.

For a 5th option offensively who is basically a 3 and D guy those are the kind of numbers that would make people want to keep him.

Why is no one going gaga over it? Because they know he'll come back down eventually and he's just on a hot streak.

Same is of Jeremy Lin. At the end of the day his ceiling is 14/6 player as a starter and a spark plug off the bench 6th man. That's Lin's ceiling.

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Mo Williams was better than him in the same role off the bench for the Clippers and Ramon Sessions was better than him as a starter in Cleveland and as a starter in Los Angeles.

Lin is not even the best point guard we've had since Sessions. He's yet to catch Sessions.

Now Lin's 'potential' is higher than Sessions. But potential isn't everything, ask Wesley Johnson or Michael Beasley.

We can say Lin is "still learning" but the guy went to college 4 years and is 26 years old. We may be looking at as good as he's going to get right now.

So the best thing Lin could possibly do is keep his scoring consistent. Even if he averaged 10/4 off the bench that would be something and he could always have nights he's on fire and stays in longer.

But I'd say that 18-22 minutes off the bench which is what he's been getting is about the absolute best he's gonna get on any team.

If he was on a championship roster he'd be lucky to get 13-15 minutes a game and that's just the truth.

Like I said, if Lin was naturally a step ahead and starter quality. He'd be blowing out 2nd units and when Barea guards him he should be dropping it on him whenever he gets the chance. When people guard him under screens he drops it on them when they give him the chance.

That is what Boozer is doing that is what Nick Young has been doing(though he accepts off the bench). Boozer could still start in this league and he would be a valuable sixth man. He's proving that. Nick Young was a starter in this league and averaged 17 a game both starting and off the bench. He's proving why.

Lin isn't proving why he's a cut above any backup 1 in the league right now and there's a lot of effective ones

Isaiah Thomas
Isaiah Canaan
Aaron Brooks
Donald Sloan
Shaun Livingston
Kendall Marshall
Dennis Schroder
Devin Harris
DJ Augustine
JJ Barea
C.J. Watson
Jarrett Jack
Rodney Stuckey

FYI all those guys play an average of 18 mins per game. Some of the other ones like Jack play 23 and that's not the norm.

So... really... Lin isn't doing much to stand out and say "HEY! I'm one of the best backup point guards in the game!" since moving to the bench and we keep waiting on him to do it. This is his biggest chance really, and 18-22 minutes a game should be enough time to do that. If he can't then it is/and he is/ what he is.

He is a proven starter under certain team, coach and system. Period.
brunel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

Lorenzomax wrote:
MJST wrote:
bws94 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Charisma wrote:

A bench unit of
Lin
Young
Ellington
Kelly
Davis

Lin
Clarkson
Roscoe
Randle
Davis

Off the bench.

If it was Lin
Young
Ellington /Kelly
Randle
Davis

Lin's a two trick pony.

Isaiah Thomas
Isaiah Canaan
Aaron Brooks
Donald Sloan
Shaun Livingston
Kendall Marshall
Dennis Schroder
Devin Harris
DJ Augustine
JJ Barea
C.J. Watson
Jarrett Jack
Rodney Stuckey

He is a proven starter under certain team, coach and system. Period.

Where exactly is he a proven starter? Not GS, Not Houston, not LA. So, you're talking about 2 months in NY under D'Antoni? So Kendall Marshall and Raymond Felton are even more proven starters.
CanadianFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:

This team is being coached by Kobe. So all comments don't amount to a hill of beans. Doesn't matter who is better player, better match up, better chemistry, etc... It's all about Kobe and who can best support his game. Period. Win or lose, it's not BS, not Booze, not Lin, not Price, not anyone. Not hating on KB, just giving the credit or blame. He now wants new players around him. So that where we're heading. New squad.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

Nick and Wes have to come out of their horrible cold streaks. Lin too, even though he did some other stuff that was positive. Tough to do with isoball Scott, but we need offense.
JLinfanJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

You realize Lin was 21 - 12 as a starter for Houston last year? (easily could have been 25 - 8 except for a series of late season losses where rookie Isaiah Canaan became back up point guard while Beverley was out with new old chronic meniscal tear).

Quote:
Lin started 33 games 2013-14:

W/L 21 - 12 (I think this could have easily been 25 - 8, or perhaps even conceivably as high a 28 - 5)
Avg 32.7 mins
Avg 44%FG | 38% 3FG% | 83 FT%
Avg 14.2 PTS| 4.6 AST | 2.9 TO

Lin started 5 games 2013-14 w/o Harden:

W/L 4 - 1 (I think it might be 2 losses (Sixers game below and Mavericks game on December 23, 2013) when Harden didn't play to rest his swollen foot)
Avg 39 mins
AVG 49.2% FG%, 46.7% 3FG%, 89.3 FT%
AVG 20.6 PTS | 6.6 AST | 4 TO

http://jlinarticlesandfacts.pr...

---

I think Lin as a starter was something like 21 - 7 (or 21 - 8) maybe up to and around or just after the All Star Break, and I think that includes the first Clippers game where Harden went all passive aggressive on Lin on court (and second Clippers loss where Lin had success off bench, but Doc Rivers adjusted, Kevin McHale didn't, Lin wasn't as effective in third quarter, and Rockets lost), loss to Mavericks without Harden, the 9 three pointer game against Sixers without Harden (which Rockets would have won in regulation if James Anderson didn't hit that three at end of regulation to push game to overtime), the Hawks game at beginning of year where Harden went all sticky iso at end of game, Lakers game where Steve Nash bear-hugged Lin on final play and Dwight didn't rotate out onto Blake, losses to Thunder where Dwight gets totally shut down repeatedly and Harden just so so effective (plus second and third game of season against OKC were schedule losses, second one coming after brutal stretch of games for Rockets like OKC rested, other was less so, but also very favorable for well rested OKC team).

OKC games #2 & #3: http://www.thedreamshake.com/2014/1/1/5259896/the-rockets-five-remaining-schedule-losses

Lakers loss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cDbgNF8cWQg#t=0

Sixers loss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RTnZbJYnaLE#t=0

Hawks loss:

Quote:
5 late season Lin as starter losses (after Beverley went down with new old chronic meniscal tear and Isiaah Canaan was back up point guard):

#1) Clippers (IIRC, this was game Kevin McHale tried to complete the comeback against Clippers without Lin in third quarter, playing Issiah Canaan, and Clippers opened up about a 10 point lead that Lin and other starters couldn't close when he got finally got put back in game around 8 - 10 minutes left in fourth quarter):

Gameflow: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20140329&game=LACHOU

#2) Brooklyn: (my memory is Rockets, and Lin, got beat fair and square by Nets this game)

Gameflow: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20140401&game=HOUBKN

#3) Raptors: (valiant comeback attempt from 20 points down came up just a bit short; Lin spearheaded comeback from 20 down with about 3 minutes left in third quarter, when Harden went to the bench):

Gameflow: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20140402&game=HOUTOR

#4) Denver (looking at gameflow, this game looks like it got away from Rockets in first and third quarter when Isiaah Canaan came into game as backup point guard)

Gameflow: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20140409&game=HOUDEN

#5) Minnesota (game Corey Brewer score 51 points by outrunning Harden, Parsons, and Garcia down the court; Lin was only responsible for giving up 4 of those points to Brewer; Ricky Rubio made great read to sag off his man onto Harden, and Lin might have been open for a very long three, though that shot could also have been contested):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vC1srGqOrK4#t=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kzPFPMftjZI#t=0

Gameflow: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20140411&game=HOUMIN

Post-Game Spin out of Houston (unexpected playoff loss to Portland showed the truth): http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-defense-missing-in-action-as-playoffs-5393289.php

And that he started all 82 games season 1 in Houston, and, along with James Harden, drove a young team to playoffs in mighty Western Conference that year?

http://dimemag.com/2013/02/examining-the-james-harden-and-jeremy-lin-combo-at-midseason/

Last edited by JLinfanJoe on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:41 am; edited 19 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26
Jump to: